What about the next possibility : BlackBerry is not releasing a new BlackBerry 10 device, but they will improve the ecosystem and after 1 year they can release a new BlackBerry 10 device with the best OS and the best ecosystem.

Posted via CB10
    How will they get a decent ecosystem exactly?

Posted via CB10
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-09-16 10:06 AM
    Blackberry 10=<3

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 11:05 AM
    Blackberry 10=<3

Posted via CB10
    Oh yes, dunce ****. I went to school with him.

**** me apparently you can't say ****.
    Last edited by DrBoomBotz; 01-09-16 at 03:06 PM.
    01-09-16 11:11 AM
    Will there be BlackBerry devices in 2017?
    ...and even if there are new devices running BB10 in 2017, by that point there will not have been a significant development effort on BB10 since 2014...and iOS ELEVEN will be out, and since 11 is higher than 10, it's bound to incorporate most of what made BB10 interesting anyway. Also, by then I expect the BB10 "experience" apps for iOS and Android will be available, so BB10 will be even less relevant then... which will at that time justify "BB10 isn't competitive any more so we're not putting out a BB10 device" statement.

Again, Chen isn't solely to blame: it's Prem Watsa and his cronies on the bored of directors that have done this to BlackBerry... Chen is just the 'executor'.
    Killjoyhere likes this.
    01-09-16 11:34 AM
    For the Satya, comment, he is very much committed to win8. 8 was a necessary stepping stone to 10, and they are very similar. We saw this public reaction before with Vista and 7. Vista is perceived to have been a disaster, yet Windows 7 could not have been without Vista.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 01:40 PM
    I don't care about new features as I think the os is perfect this way I just want to be sure that updates continues for the native apps plus security updates for the coming years not just 2016

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 02:43 PM
    How will they get a decent ecosystem exactly?

Posted via CB10
    By focus on if and investing in it. They should realize already that it should be one of his main things to be done.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 03:49 PM
    By focus on if and investing in it. They should realize already that it should be one of his main things to be done.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry : will you code your app for BB10 and support it?

Devs: No.

BlackBerry : pretty please, with $10,000 on top??

Devs: I SAID NO.

(true story, circa 2013)

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    01-09-16 04:03 PM
    BlackBerry : will you code your app for BB10 and support it?

Devs: No.

BlackBerry : pretty please, with $10,000 on top??

Devs: I SAID NO.

(true story, circa 2013)

BlackBerry Classic non-camera, Cricket Wireless
    Yes and it's been done since then
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    01-09-16 04:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well, now why didn't they think of that five years ago?
    kbz1960, JeepBB and eldricho like this.
    01-09-16 04:22 PM
    Why not just update all devices to android problem solved.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    1. It would cannibalize sales of the Priv.
    2. BlackBerry would have to support all those old devices.
    01-09-16 04:41 PM

Posted via CB10
    Going from BlackBerry 10 to Android would be a downgrade, at least for me.
    Securing Android with every release is not so easy. That's why BlackBerry Private doesn't have the latest release of Android.
    In order to have all the BlackBerry features and all their implementations they need much higher specs to do that. That means big CPU that is overheating, battery draining and so on.
    Once they have a good ecosystem it's investment doesn't have to be as big as it would be now, but securing Android with every release it costs allot every time and you also have to take into account the fact that the kernel is made by someone else so the first half of the work is not controlled by BlackBerry as it would be with BlackBerry 10. Is like I give you pipes witness circular sections and maybe you need pipes with rectangular section for your job. Is not so easy, isn't it.
    Only because Samsung has a success with Android it doesn't mean that Android is the solution. Samsung is already a big name in Android market and there are many Android device manufacturers that have smaller income than BlackBerry.
    The ideea of BlackBerry powered by Android is to make allot of money over night. That is not the key. The key is good investment in your own product which makes you different in a glass way, hard work for a long the and then "boom", you have the opportunity to be the best on the market.

Posted via CB10
    Jakob Greve likes this.
    01-09-16 04:50 PM
    I don't care about new features as I think the os is perfect this way I just want to be sure that updates continues for the native apps plus security updates for the coming years not just 2016

Posted via CB10
    Nothing is sure, but according to their declarations you will have it.
    For example I bought my BlackBerry Z10 in 2014 and before I used a BlackBerry Curve 8520 with BBOS5, the only problem was with the slow hardware, the OS functionality was still perfect.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:59 PM
    Going from BlackBerry 10 to Android would be a downgrade, at least for me.
    Securing Android with every release is not so easy. That's why BlackBerry Private doesn't have the latest release of Android.
    In order to have all the BlackBerry features and all their implementations they need much higher specs to do that. That means big CPU that is overheating, battery draining and so on.
    Once they have a good ecosystem it's investment doesn't have to be as big as it would be now, but securing Android with every release it costs allot every time and you also have to take into account the fact that the kernel is made by someone else so the first half of the work is not controlled by BlackBerry as it would be with BlackBerry 10. Is like I give you pipes witness circular sections and maybe you need pipes with rectangular section for your job. Is not so easy, isn't it.
    Only because Samsung has a success with Android it doesn't mean that Android is the solution. Samsung is already a big name in Android market and there are many Android device manufacturers that have smaller income than BlackBerry.
    The ideea of BlackBerry powered by Android is to make allot of money over night. That is not the key. The key is good investment in your own product which makes you different in a glass way, hard work for a long the and then "boom", you have the opportunity to be the best on the market.

Posted via CB10
    The idea of Android is for the hardware division to survive. That won't happen with BB10.
    01-09-16 05:20 PM
    Chen HAS to say this, because there are still devices to be sold
    Killjoyhere and JeepBB like this.
    01-09-16 05:34 PM
    Blackberry just isn't able to support the costs that come along with having your own platform which isn't cheap unfortunately and doesn't have monopolies in other lines of business to subsidize it.

By moving to android they no longer have to develop chipset drivers, core os, core apps, link, and so on.
    GadgetTravel likes this.
    01-09-16 07:06 PM
    The idea of Android is for the hardware division to survive. That won't happen with BB10.
    Why do you think it would survive with Android. Every Android fan wants to have the latest release, BlackBerry can not offer that. Plus, most of them prefer to buy an Android device manufactured by a company with experience in Android field.
    Also allot of guys are saying that we, the BlackBerry 10 users, are able to be playbooked. What would the possible costumer think about buying an Android BlackBerry if they kill BlackBerry 10? Nobody would trust this company anymore. In order to have a good image they have to keep both OS's. Android for the masses, BlackBerry 10 for who wants it.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-16 04:02 AM
    Why do you think it would survive with Android. Every Android fan wants to have the latest release, BlackBerry can not offer that. Plus, most of them prefer to buy an Android device manufactured by a company with experience in Android field.
    Also allot of guys are saying that we, the BlackBerry 10 users, are able to be playbooked. What would the possible costumer think about buying an Android BlackBerry if they kill BlackBerry 10? Nobody would trust this company anymore. In order to have a good image they have to keep both OS's. Android for the masses, BlackBerry 10 for who wants it.

Posted via CB10
    I think governments currently using BB10 (like Germany, for example, who made the switch last year) will be very happy to hear that BlackBerry will kill BB10 long before contracts expire...... #not

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Passport (OG Red)
    01-11-16 12:46 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's all Blackberry has left I think. The numbers are that if BlackBerry gets 1% of the Android market they roughly double their market share. It's that bad, and getting worse with BB10. Android is a long shot now but it's all they have.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-16 12:51 AM
    Will there be BlackBerry devices in 2017?
    Magic Eight Ball says, "Ask again later."
    01-11-16 10:56 AM
    It's all Blackberry has left I think. The numbers are that if BlackBerry gets 1% of the Android market they roughly double their market share. It's that bad, and getting worse with BB10. Android is a long shot now but it's all they have.

Posted via CB10
    Don't know how accurate these numbers are but Blackberry really thinks it will gain enough of the android market to compensate for the bridges it would burn going to Android?
    Android phone manufacturer market share - AppBrain
    Samsung owns this market and has a bigger advertisement budget than blackberry has net worth. Blackberry even had the audacity to use a curved display with very limited functionality as another "me-too". I swear its like a 5th grader is making the decisions over there.
    01-11-16 11:44 AM
    Let's make a game of this:

BlackBerry and JC are as committed to BlackBerry 10 as (blank) is to (blank)

E.g. As Walsh is to making a 27 yard field goal.

Sorry Vikings fans
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-11-16 12:13 PM
    Don't know how accurate these numbers are but Blackberry really thinks it will gain enough of the android market to compensate for the bridges it would burn going to Android?
    Android phone manufacturer market share - AppBrain
    Samsung owns this market and has a bigger advertisement budget than blackberry has net worth. Blackberry even had the audacity to use a curved display with very limited functionality as another "me-too". I swear its like a 5th grader is making the decisions over there.
    A 5th grader would probably make BETTER long term decisions than Chairman Chen has made.
    Doggerz likes this.
    01-11-16 12:15 PM
    A 5th grader would probably make BETTER long term decisions than Chairman Chen has made.
    Do the math on that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-11-16 12:19 PM
74 123