Just wondered if it would be possible to change the permission of a subfolder, even if temporarily, to 777, hence total permission.
    02-18-15 11:18 PM
    Just wondered if it would be possible to change the permission of a subfolder, even if temporarily, to 777, hence total permission.
    If you enable Developer Mode, you're suppose to be able to SSH into your phone and, from there, should be able to run chmod. I'll save your eyes the trouble of directions as, if you're doing this, you already know what you're doing.
    02-19-15 12:14 AM
    If you enable Developer Mode, you're suppose to be able to SSH into your phone and, from there, should be able to run chmod. I'll save your eyes the trouble of directions as, if you're doing this, you already know what you're doing.
    Maybe you dont even need to do that.

Maybe just dl'in bgshellplus from the appworld is enough.

Idk :/

Posted via the best phone evarrrrrr!
    02-19-15 01:47 AM
    No unfortunately you're giving me way too much credit, I certainly don't know what I'm doing so I probably won't go into developer mode. I just saw that with simple apps (like Total Commander for instance) it lets you go into properties and change permissions, but in this particular folder I was trying to it won't stick, after clicking "apply" it'll say it's 777 only then to revert back to 751, the folder I'm referring to is system/media/audio/ringtones if that's of any interest.
    02-19-15 01:53 AM
    No unfortunately you're giving me way too much credit, I certainly don't know what I'm doing so I probably won't go into developer mode. I just saw that with simple apps (like Total Commander for instance) it lets you go into properties and change permissions, but in this particular folder I was trying to it won't stick, after clicking "apply" it'll say it's 777 only then to revert back to 751, the folder I'm referring to is system/media/audio/ringtones if that's of any interest.
    Permissions maybe set based on hierarchy thus why it's being reverted? I don't think BlackBerry 10 is too similar to Unix, or is it??

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 01:57 AM
    Permissions maybe set based on hierarchy thus why it's being reverted? I don't think BlackBerry 10 is too similar to Unix, or is it??
    Can't say, don't know, when clicking "apply" modifications seem to have been accepted, only when you go back to copy the file and try pasting it you see it's back to permission 751.
    02-19-15 11:13 AM
    What are you trying to do that you need 777? Technically anything in the folder is yours, so that base is covered in 751. Nobody else needs to be changing anything on your filesystem and you're not part of a "group" per se on an individual device. Your BlackBerry isn't a server (unless it is, then please, enlighten us).

I don't understand why everyone in the world feels the need to 777 all the things.
    02-19-15 11:35 AM
    What are you trying to do that you need 777? Technically anything in the folder is yours, so that base is covered in 751. Nobody else needs to be changing anything on your filesystem and you're not part of a "group" per se on an individual device. Your BlackBerry isn't a server (unless it is, then please, enlighten us).

I don't understand why everyone in the world feels the need to 777 all the things.
    I want to copy a ringtone in this folder system/media/audio/ringtones and it just won't let me, but I'm definitely not obsessed John, it's definitely not a big deal, and I'm not even sure permission is the issue here, I just know I can't copy or move anything into that folder. Thanks anyway
    02-19-15 11:43 AM
    I want to copy a ringtone in this folder system/media/audio/ringtones and it just won't let me, but I'm definitely not obsessed John, it's definitely not a big deal, and I'm not even sure permission is the issue here, I just know I can't copy or move anything into that folder. Thanks anyway
    Oh no no, please don't take what I said insultingly :P It wasn't meant as a directed attack at you. I've just noticed over the years that folks come up with some pretty bizarre reasons to 777 all the things. I once had to help a guy out over in the Gentoo forums who chmod'd everything 777 and chowned all the things to his user so he didn't have to deal with dialog boxes asking for his permission all the time (da fuq?).

I'm setting aside 10 minutes to look more closely at this problem. I'll get with you if I find a better solution.
    02-19-15 11:49 AM
    Sure sure, I didn't take it personally at all no worries, as I said it doesn't even matter, just thought it would be a simple thing to overcome but if it's something complicated I will not bother with it, let alone wanting others to bother on my account!
    02-19-15 11:58 AM
    Let's do this: Which ringtone are you trying to copy?
    02-19-15 11:59 AM
    What happened is that I installed a third party Android app, Llama, through which you can change profiles according to location without involving the GPS hence avoiding battery drain. Like many apps of this kind you have the possibility to change ringtone according to a custom profile you set, so I wanted to add my usual ringtone to that folder, but just now I've been toying with it and I saw it doesn't even let me choose one of the default ringtones already present in that directory system/media/audio/ringtones, so this may not be a permission problem after all but mere incompatibility or something between BB and Android apps.. I don't really know, I've had a look but can't find much about this, I suspect I have wasted a thread!
    02-19-15 12:25 PM