Hi all

I absolutely love my BB Classic and it's a shame I only have it for just over a year now. Even though it's a bit against my principles to keep phones for only one year, the fact that Whatsapp will not be supported anymore is a downfall because it's used (perhaps too much) in my daily and work life. Thus there's a need for a phone that supports it.

I'm aware of the fact you can patch the Android version to run on OS 10, but every time there'll be a new version it probably has to be patched again and perhaps some features will not work. Which for me is too much of a hassle.

I try searching the internet for the answer to my question, but unfortunately haven't found anything.

Since BB is focusing on software only now, there is perhaps an increased chance? But since it's only a little less than 3 months away, I would suspect some news.

Anything?
    10-05-16 10:17 AM
    Nothing so far, we will only know Jan 1st 2017

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2813
    10-05-16 10:19 AM
    10-05-16 10:21 AM
    What they announced is pretty definitive. There isn't likely to be any further news. I can't imagine that anyone at Blackberry can do anything about it. If you use something like WhatsApp in your daily life then I can't see how you would be able to tolerate using an messaging app that may or may not work for you today and when it goes down, may or may not ever come back.
    10-05-16 10:46 AM
    I would use patched versions.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-16 10:46 AM
    If you use something like WhatsApp in your daily life then I can't see how you would be able to tolerate using an messaging app that may or may not work for you today and when it goes down, may or may not ever come back.
    What do you mean IF, is there anyone left who doesn't use WhatsApp in his/her daily life?
    10-05-16 11:04 AM
    Being a "software company" and a software company that develops for BB10 are two separate things.

As far as WA goes, they can and will continue to control how users connect to their service and there is nothing that BlackBerry can do about it short of modernizing the BB10 API on a regular basis and hoping that WA will find the userbase large enough to warrant their attention.
    10-05-16 11:05 AM
    Hi all

I absolutely love my BB Classic and it's a shame I only have it for just over a year now. Even though it's a bit against my principles to keep phones for only one year, the fact that Whatsapp will not be supported anymore is a downfall because it's used (perhaps too much) in my daily and work life. Thus there's a need for a phone that supports it.

I'm aware of the fact you can patch the Android version to run on OS 10, but every time there'll be a new version it probably has to be patched again and perhaps some features will not work. Which for me is too much of a hassle.

I try searching the internet for the answer to my question, but unfortunately haven't found anything.

Since BB is focusing on software only now, there is perhaps an increased chance? But since it's only a little less than 3 months away, I would suspect some news.

Anything?
    Unless you really want the latest versions of WhatsApp all the time. I don't think you will need to patch the app more than once in 3-4 months.
    Plus you don't have to patch the app
    I downloaded the apk from WhatsApp's website and it runs absolutely fine without any sort of patching
    You will obviously have to side load WAA fixer. But that's just a one time thing
    So I don't think you really need to worry.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-05-16 11:25 AM
    What do you mean IF, is there anyone left who doesn't use WhatsApp in his/her daily life?
    I never heard of it prior to the minor panic that has developed into a new thread every few days talking about the impending doom of it not functioning (a decision made by the developers of the program) past the 31st of December this year for BB10 devices and other devices. I doubt that I am alone in being a non-user of the app.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    10-05-16 11:47 AM
    Whatsapp would have to grant a license to BB to develop its own native app, just like Facebook did previously and now discontinued, but WA doesn't outsource app development to outside parties and existing info says that WA just isn't interested in BB10 small user base anymore.
    10-05-16 11:54 AM
    Lots of us. In Canada many of the phone plans include unlimited text and so my entire family uses text messaging.
    10-05-16 12:16 PM
    Unless you really want the latest versions of WhatsApp all the time. I don't think you will need to patch the app more than once in 3-4 months.
    Plus you don't have to patch the app
    I downloaded the apk from WhatsApp's website and it runs absolutely fine without any sort of patching
    You will obviously have to side load WAA fixer. But that's just a one time thing
    So I don't think you really need to worry.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Based on what I've been reading, it really sounds like WA is going to BLOCK old versions from working on their servers as of Jan 1, 2017.
    I think you're in for a rude surprise.
    10-05-16 12:18 PM
    Based on what I've been reading, it really sounds like WA is going to BLOCK old versions from working on their servers as of Jan 1, 2017.
    I think you're in for a rude surprise.
    Not all old versions

Chances of Whatsapp version developed by BB for after 31st december-img_20160924_003741.png

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2876
    10-05-16 01:14 PM
    Well it has been a nice ride. I've had BB's for over 7 years and it's a shame I have to switch because of this app. An app which I don't really 'get' since texting is almost everywhere free, but yeah sheep follow the mass herd I guess. Yes I'm aware of the irony.

I'll keep my Classic laying around and hopefully can use it again some day.
    10-05-16 02:27 PM
    Well it has been a nice ride. I've had BB's for over 7 years and it's a shame I have to switch because of this app. An app which I don't really 'get' since texting is almost everywhere free, but yeah sheep follow the mass herd I guess. Yes I'm aware of the irony.

Then why not simply stay with Blackberry and just text ....
    10-05-16 10:34 PM
    Then why not simply stay with Blackberry and just text ....
    Or stay with BlackBerry and BlackBerry android.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-05-16 10:57 PM
    Or just take up painting as a vocation and communicate with friends and family via written letter?

Posted via CB10
    cgk likes this.
    10-05-16 10:58 PM
    I never heard of it prior to the minor panic that has developed into a new thread every few days talking about the impending doom of it not functioning (a decision made by the developers of the program) past the 31st of December this year for BB10 devices and other devices. I doubt that I am alone in being a non-user of the app.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    You're not alone. I'm a non-user as well. I only use BBM for talking to my parents and Twitter DM's or good ol' text messages for all the rest.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red) <3
    10-05-16 11:53 PM

You used sheep and follow the herd... I don't thing you really get the irony of the situation anymore.
    10-06-16 07:31 AM

I'm reminded of the odds of ANY BB10 development in this great clip from 1978's Animal House: (1:00 into clip)

Dean Vernon Wormer: "Mr. Blutarsky zero point zero"

Oh, yes the classics...
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    10-06-16 09:12 AM
    Add or maybe that's SUBTRACT one more person who does NOT use it. As a matter of fact, I have never seen it in action and guess I don't miss it. But I am OLD. Oh, and I'm not Canadian but U.S.
    10-06-16 09:21 AM
    I'm also US... really don't know of anyone that uses WhatsApp, or at least they don't mention it or use it where I have seen it.

In my market nation wide sms/mms is free, most everyone I know has reverted back to just normal textings... unless they have an iPhone which does both IM and sms/mms from the same app. Now I'm sure there are those in school that are using it and I can see how those with families and friends in other countries would probably be using it. And if we didn't have free SMS/MMS, I bet I'd be using it too.
    10-06-16 09:28 AM
    I use it because my daughter uses it. My daughter uses it because her husband uses it. Her husband uses it because he works in buildings with wifi but little to no cell reception, and he also has family in Asia.
    10-06-16 11:47 AM
    None but with Facebook messenger releasing a 'cut down version' for developing nations maybe Whatsapp will follow suit or you could switch. These basic versions will 100% work with the BB10 Android RT.
    10-06-16 08:33 PM
    Oh btw, I forgot to add to my previous post about not using WhatsApp that I'm Dutch and 24.5 years old.
    My grandparents do use WhatsApp and they're 83 years old now.

So age doesn't even matter in case of WA.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  ,Passport (OG Red)
    10-06-16 11:54 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD