Some of my acquaintances are eager to get a smartphone now, and are asking me to guide them. They ALL bias to iPhone, without knowing why.

I'd like to collect factual information, in this thread. Your posts can help me collect the rebuttals I'll need. And the positive arguments too. My acquaintances contacts and friends shall be expecting me to help them choose a good "smartphone" -- especially when they see me carrying my new white z30 along with my 8-month old Z10.

I'm proud of my Z10. Six months ago I was still struggling. This year is when I came into the smartphone market. In 2012 all I could do was texting and phoning. There are many more like me.

Today, someone called me saying it is time to move up a few notches, and she's asking me to help her get a better sense of what she can get these days.

Edit: please modify the title to say BB10 not bbos
    Last edited by Davidro1; 11-27-13 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Request Mod to change title
    11-27-13 05:55 PM
    What apps does she use? What does she do with her phone (txt, facebook, calls). Is it used for work also?

also calling friends ignoramuses probably isnt the best thing when you tell them to come to CB for help after you convince them to go bb10
    21stNow and kbz1960 like this.
    11-27-13 06:04 PM
    I'll delete the thread and start over, as many times as it takes, if we get into discussions of people.

Don't ask me to profile ONE person.

All my friends are ignoramuses just as I am too.

What apps does she use?
    No apps. Never had a phone that can download an app.
    That is this one person today.
    Other friends and acquaintances have different situations!

... isnt the best thing when you tell them to come to CB for help after you convince them to go bb10
    la ti dah.

p.s. thank you for responding. : - )

p.p.s. I think everyone participating in this forum is talking at a level way over the head of the average new-phone-buyer.
    So.... Calling myself and others ignorant is A-OK by me. I need to have a simpler overview than what I see in the other CB threads.
    Last edited by Davidro1; 11-27-13 at 06:19 PM. Reason: adding p.s. and p.p.s.
    11-27-13 06:14 PM
    Nothing wrong with iOS. Everyone has their reasons for choosing an OS. Maybe you should just tell your friends to ask their questions here, on Android Central and on iMore. I think they may be better off being guided by someone that has been using a smart phone for more than a year?
    11-27-13 06:30 PM
    Not my approach. Thanks for offering. I can show them this thread and this forum, also.
    11-27-13 06:34 PM
    You tell them you are a PF fan. That should be enough.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 07:03 PM
    OK I'll let them websearch that too. That'll be-all
    11-27-13 07:10 PM
    For starters go to any carriers webpage and do a side by side comparison of the phones they're interested in.
    Most sites let you do up to four comparisons at a time.

Then find out what apps they must have, because believe it or not apps do make or break a purchasing decision.

I have a fond love and attachment to BlackBerry, but it doesn't stop me from carrying a Q10 and iPhone 5 daily.
    IMHO you will never truly get everything from one platform.

The best thing you can do for your friends etc is to help them get the best device for them,Not what you think they should have. You can forfeit a lot of credibility that way. Device wise and platform wise.

Good luck

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by 93Aero; 11-27-13 at 07:54 PM.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    11-27-13 07:40 PM
    Bizarrre...

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 07:54 PM
    :suspect:
    But I'll bite.

Google is a wonderful tool. Try that. I've found demos of BB10 features on YouTube are particularly helpful.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 08:14 PM
    Ignoramus...iOS...seems like a good match to me.
    But really, just tell them a BlackBerry will make them seem smarter.

STL100-3 10.2.1.1055 CB10
    Davidro1 likes this.
    11-27-13 08:44 PM
    OK we shall send them to read the BlackBerry.com site. There, they shall get confused. Then, they shall buy Apple's iPhone. Standard procedure. Inevitable for most of the buying public.

I know people who have MBA degrees earned 20 and 30 years ago, who don't understand what they see on BlackBerry.com. Apple on the other hand doesn't say much but they make you feel good and feel you are onto a good thing.

Can we resolve the problem partially? Can we make BlackBerry seem like a better smarter thing? Can it be idiotproof easy ? Can it 'just work'? I think so.
    11-27-13 08:58 PM
    Not my approach. Thanks for offering. I can show them this thread and this forum, also.
    I've shown my Z10 to a number of iOS users, and the thing that impresses them the most is the comparison of the keyboard function vs. iOS keyboard. Most iOS users hate the keyboard function on their iPhone, and since used an iPhone for a while, I'd have to agree. The second thing that impresses them is the swipe functionality, compared to in and out functioning of the iPhone. The third thing that impresses people is the speed of my Z10.
    SDTRMG and Davidro1 like this.
    11-27-13 09:09 PM
    They are the ignorami, but you don't have enough reasons to convince them?

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 09:14 PM
    I couldn't agree more with 93Aero. When I was using a WP8 phone, waiting on the Z10, the thing about that platform was that when using my Blue Ant earpiece, I could listen to my text messages delivered verbally, and respond verbally. I've yet to figure out how to do that with my beloved Z10.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    11-27-13 09:53 PM
    Compare or describe bb10 for the benefit of the kind of person who admit they-know-nothing. I've put myself in the same category too, up thread. Although I do know plenty of stuff too.

For the benefit of the person who admits that "they don't know much if anything" about today's smartphones.

They are the ignorami...
    11-27-13 09:56 PM
    .wow.
    ...listen to my text messages delivered verbally, and respond verbally......
    11-27-13 10:01 PM
    Stick to my plan and just play them dark side of the moon.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-27-13 10:02 PM
    Compare or describe bb10 for the benefit of the kind of person who admit they-know-nothing. I've put myself in the same category too, up thread. Although I do know plenty of stuff too.

For the benefit of the person who admits that "they don't know much if anything" about today's smartphones.
    ::responders remorse::
    There seems to be a hidden agenda here. I'm out.

Posted via CB10
    bp3dots likes this.
    11-27-13 10:04 PM
    Google is good. And the other search engines too.

I think the people asking me for a bit of help are hoping for a little human help first before they go web searching. Like they aren't able to justify time wasted web searching using the wrong terms and feeling foolish.

YouTube videos are good too. Takes time. Often wastes time too.

Google is a wonderful tool. Try that. I've found demos of BB10 features on YouTube are particularly helpful.
    11-27-13 10:33 PM
    Start with the latest os. You need to use 10.2.1 to demostrate.

Hub, and centralized messaging
    Keyboard and on screen cursor control
    Swipe gestures for navigation
    Minimized running apps
    BlackBerry world and Amazon Appstore
    Have all the social media apps loaded. Instagram, snap chat, etc.
    Bbm, delivered and read functionality
    Have a favorite bb10 app that has all the stuff in the right place. Igrann is a good example. New Evernote beta is good. Fast tube is good.
    Have a movie ready to go, push out via Hdmi cable.
    Show how you can add an SD card, and swap the battery

It is all good. Good luck

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1, SDTRMG and Breezygirl8 like this.
    11-27-13 10:50 PM

I think the people asking me for a bit of help are hoping for a little human help first before they go web searching. Like they aren't able to justify time wasted web searching using the wrong terms and feeling foolish.

Since these acquaintances of yours trust your assessment above their own, a person of integrity accepting this task and responsibility would conduct the research themselves to present a sound factual case for or against BlackBerry phones.
    OR suggest they make their own assessments.
    I doubt anyone here is willing to do this work for you. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    11-27-13 10:57 PM
    Leejayh, thank you. As irony would have it, you posted your list (assessment) just when Kimberella hypothesized that perhaps no one would do this. Upthread two others did this, before you, too. The internet is great, isn't it ?

My question got answered by a small number of participants. Thank you to all who tried.
    11-27-13 11:03 PM
    Since these acquaintances of yours trust your assessment above their own, a person of integrity accepting this task and responsibility would conduct the research themselves to present a sound factual case for or against BlackBerry phones.
    OR suggest they make their own assessments.
    I doubt anyone here is willing to do this work for you. Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    Nicely put, also BlackBerry has the chances of lower prices on data package compared to other devices.

Bbm voice and video with natural sound.

Bbm channels for all your social needs.

Hub is really convenient.

BlackBerry express for attractive presentation on the go.

Docs to go for all office document comes preinstalled.

All the best. The more time passes BlackBerry phone is getting more appealing.

Recommend q10 to ladies specially, goes well with their long nails.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 likes this.
    11-27-13 11:14 PM

Getting the right smartphone for someone requires knowing their needs/wants, which we are obviously not able to do. If you want to do them a favor, you will stop trying to prove why the one you like is better, and instead look for the one that will be best for them. This may not be a BB, and that's fine, as everyone has different needs.

The entire premise of this thread is the same thing people here accuse salespeople of when they say they try to only sell iOS/Android, and is nothing but a disservice to the OP's "friends."
    11-27-13 11:16 PM
47 12