Hello everyone.

I accept BB10's fate, however, I can see me using it for a little longer. By which I mean carrying my Passport for the next two years if possible. I'm trying BB Android right now but not really liking it. I will give it some more time and try and have an open mind.

I'm thinking of changing my behaviour and buying a Microsoft Surface (or maybe iPad) to use alongside my Passport.

Believe it or not, I manage to pretty much never use a main computer day to day but use the Passport heavily. I'm not stupid, there are some limitations, which I accept, but it has worked very well for me. When the going gets tough, not much can match my speed or thought flow on the Passport.

The Passport can still do the serious emailing and communicating, so no problem there.

On the side I do have a lot of patched Android apps, the function of which can probably be done on a table either in the browser of the Surface or as apps again on the iPad. I'd need to keep the Dropbox APK as I don't have a choice about it.

Does anyone else do this?

Behaviour change is that I'd use the phone a little less, so the battery would last longer!

Its probably better for me to put the phone down sometime and wait until I have time to use the larger tablet!

I love eBay for buying old stuff that I am interested in. That app looks set to die next year according to a message I received from eBay. Web browser could replace.

I buy stuff on Amazon. Web browser could replace.

I will miss Waze, but I do have a an updated Tom Tom also. So that would be a behaviour change but also doable.

I have lots of "nice to have" apps like hotel loyalty apps, but they could definitely be replaced. They don't get used much.

So, does anyone use the new Surface? I'm vaguely familiar with the iPad as my wife has one.

I'm waffling now. Will stop typing and look forward to your opinions.
    12-22-17 07:15 AM
    Depends on your needs.

I have a Surface Pro and it's a Windows Laptop.... but it isn't a smartphone replacement, as it doesn't have the mobile app experience. Personally I think owning an Android or iOS device with the Surface is the best pairing. For my work and the programs I need, a Windows device is great to have on the go.... But I don't always want to carry it around. So having a mobile phone that works with today's environment is pretty important to me.

If you really want to use your Passport and IF mobile apps are something you need, the iPad might be the better option. And might get you ready for your eventual transition to another platform.
    12-22-17 07:32 AM
    I am using an iPad in addition to my BlackBerry. Bought the iPad ti run an aviation application, but it has allowed me to see what iOS is like.

My main needs for my smartphone use is voice calls, SMS and email. Some Twitter -- that I could do using the browser -- and music / podcasts. For me iOS is hopeless at managing email. SMS would be ok if I only used iOS. Other than the fact that I don't like the UI design and the Apple policy that user convenience trumps security the applications are generally good at what they do.

The Surface Pro looks interesting if you can get along with Windows 10 and Microsoft trying to be more Apple to Apple; and find the applications you need. And, unfortunately Windows 10 inherits security flaws from earlier versions of Windows.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    abalourdos likes this.
    12-22-17 08:31 AM
    I am using an iPad in addition to my BlackBerry. Bought the iPad ti run an aviation application, but it has allowed me to see what iOS is like.

My main needs for my smartphone use is voice calls, SMS and email. Some Twitter -- that I could do using the browser -- and music / podcasts. For me iOS is hopeless at managing email. SMS would be ok if I only used iOS. Other than the fact that I don't like the UI design and the Apple policy that user convenience trumps security the applications are generally good at what they do.

The Surface Pro looks interesting if you can get along with Windows 10 and Microsoft trying to be more Apple to Apple; and find the applications you need. And, unfortunately Windows 10 inherits security flaws from earlier versions of Windows.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    Personally, Desktop Outlook has always been important to me- started using it with dial up connections. I always found even BlackBerry's email capabilities too limiting (Palm was better, expect for lack of push). One of the big pluses with the Surface is having a more portable but full featured OUTLOOK solution (with a licensed copy). Was the big reason I was rooting for Window 10 phones to succeed.

I don't use iOS other than occasionally picking up my wife's iPad or iPhone. But most everyone in the office now has an iPhone, and they all seem to be able to do emails. I think like me with Outlook, we get use to something and we just don't like change - especially when we can't do things like we expect to be able to. My wife never used email much, until she got an iPhone... tried showing her Outlook on her laptop and she hates it.
    12-22-17 09:07 AM
    Good replies. Thank you. Forgot to say, my work bought me a laptop with Win 10 which I do use sometimes, hence considering the Surface. I haven't tried Outlook but it does come with Office, so I presume that is in there.

Any more views greatly appreciated.
    12-22-17 09:49 AM

I don't use iOS other than occasionally picking up my wife's iPad or iPhone. But most everyone in the office now has an iPhone, and they all seem to be able to do emails.
    I can do email on my iPad. The problem is that iOS is written from the point of view that you are only using Apple products to receive emails, SMS, etc. Compared to BB10 or even BBOS it is difficult to manage more than a few accounts. I watch my wife struggling with two when her iPad does something unexpected with her email. Because of all the organisations I hold staff or board positions in I have to use many addresses with different back end servers. I find iOS just doesn't get the job done. And though Android is better than iOS in this respect it is still not acceptable to me even with the BlackBerry add-ons.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    12-22-17 11:53 AM
    One thing I just started to notice is that one of my email addresses which is a Google enterprise system, no longer renders on my BlackBerry. I receive the messages and can read the subject but not the text. I have not looked into it very much yet, but it is the last one that is still on my iPad.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205

Edit:

Finally got around to looking at this problem. Deleting and restoring the account made it work again.
    Last edited by Richard Buckley; 12-27-17 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Found a solution
    12-22-17 11:59 AM
    A tablet is not a smartphone replacement. Believe me, I've tried. The closest I got was an iPad mini before realising that just carrying two phones was easier.

I've used every mobile OS and every major Android port, and in my opinion iOS is far superior to any of the competition if *and only if* you are one of those users who doesn't care how it works and just wants usable results now.

The iOS mail client is better than Outlook Mobile, and better than anything on Android except for K9. In fact, Outlook Mobile sucks really bad I don't know how or why they made it suck so bad.

Point is, if you haven't tried it yet and if you have the ability / budget to do so - try an iPhone. Also make sure that you try K9 on your android BB if email functionality is important and if the hub isn't cutting it.

I carry a PPSE and have been through several companion phones running every major OS and in my opinion, the iPhone comes close to the PPSE in terms of usability out of the box. I still carry the PPSE for 'typing emergencies'. I have even connected it to an iPhone using Bluetooth, but that was just ridiculous and I don't recommend that you do it. I don't carry an iPhone currently, but I would happily go back to iOS if it weren't for my keyboard preference. At the end of the day once you learn a few UIs the difference between one and another is minimal.
    12-22-17 12:12 PM
    Haha, yes I tried the Blue touch app when I had an emergency typing incident like you describe. I was behind the great firewall of China and the only thing I could get to work was the ****ty Samsung Mate work phone which had a VPN on it.

Had the Samsung in wide-screen and was typing furiously on the Passport. The biggest problem was the built in email app on the Samsung... don't know if it was Google or their own. Anyway, I guess the Passport saved the day as I didn't have the skills to type on the glass screen. Thought my mind was going to melt! I suddenly had soooo much to do in a short time and I couldn't type!
    12-22-17 05:16 PM
    on work side i work with my two BlackBerry 10 OS devices, Classic and Passport and a surface pro b ut also a Macbookair for some little stuff like fast merging of pdfs and backup - the surface has a horrible batterie life and I only got it for the really good stylus, pen or however you wanna call it - without active bluetooth you can really comfortably write on the screen and have a direct pdf stored, which is pretty cool - but windows 10 is very laggy on my surface... well perhaps I should do a factory reset, but I've been just using it for a bit less than a year and mostly for just writing manual pdf forms - on the long end you never get all the best features together, there's usually a compromise and then just a few weeks later all could chnage, like when those faster and 2 days lasting microsoft tablets should hit the market - don't know if this helps at all, jsut realizing while typing on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ
    12-22-17 06:07 PM
    Yes, I hear only the newest Surface has managed acceptable battery life
    12-23-17 08:51 AM
    I can do email on my iPad. The problem is that iOS is written from the point of view that you are only using Apple products to receive emails, SMS, etc. Compared to BB10 or even BBOS it is difficult to manage more than a few accounts. I watch my wife struggling with two when her iPad does something unexpected with her email. Because of all the organisations I hold staff or board positions in I have to use many addresses with different back end servers. I find iOS just doesn't get the job done. And though Android is better than iOS in this respect it is still not acceptable to me even with the BlackBerry add-ons.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    I don't understand this, the iOS default mail app is just an app not a part of the OS, you don't have to use it. You can install other email apps and use those instead if you want, For me i use multiple email apps; on my iOS devices I use the default mail app for my apple account email only. For work email I only use the Outlook app. For other accounts I use the gmail app. There are other email apps out there as well.
    12-23-17 12:56 PM
    I'm using BB10 for calls, texting, emailing and podcasts. My iPad Air is a great supplement: social media, youtube/vimeo, skype/zoom. I don't have any problems using iOS mail. I installed Proton mail app and use it on iOS as well. I find this BB10-iOS duo pretty efficient. No experience with Surface tablets. I guess in the end it's a matter of personal preference.

 Z30/STA100-5/OS 10.3.3.3057
    12-23-17 01:43 PM
    You folks with a Surface should specify which model and how much ram you have as the performance will vary widely depending on what you're using.

FWIW, my wife loves her Surface Pro w/ 8GB ram running Windows 10 Pro.

Don't understand all the negative Windows 10 comments. Best thing since XP.....well, aside from some stupid UI and utility decisions for us IT types.

As an AAPL stockholder, I love love love seeing iStores packed. As an IT guy, I have no plans to own any iOS device. I agree with Richard that the iOS mail app is barely functional, but my opinion is heavily affected by 20 years of Outlook usage.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3057
    12-23-17 02:06 PM
    I don't understand this, the iOS default mail app is just an app not a part of the OS, you don't have to use it. You can install other email apps and use those instead if you want, For me i use multiple email apps; on my iOS devices I use the default mail app for my apple account email only. For work email I only use the Outlook app. For other accounts I use the gmail app. There are other email apps out there as well.
    I could do that, but I don't have to because all my email needs are served by my BB10 phone using the Hub. I can go many days without using my iPad.

I could hunt for an app that does as good a job as the Hub on BB10, or write my own if it comes to that. It won't be the first time I've written my own application because none of those available came close to what I need. But I shouldn't have to. The pre-installed applications should be premium tools, not just something to tide a user over until they can buy something else.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.3.2205
    12-23-17 04:17 PM
    Using Windows 10 without issue and agree is solid as a rock. Z30 my daily, and a Lenovo Tab3 with SD set for adoptable. The only change I may be making in the New Year is from the Z30 to the Motion if the 100-2 can handle wifi-calling on T-mo. Android tablet also solid.
    12-24-17 07:57 AM
    Mine is a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (128 GB, 8 GB RAM, Intel Core i5) from a couple of years ago.... I've had it a year.

Battery life is quite good in comparison to my PlayBook and the previous Windows Tablet I had..... does use a non standard adapter and voltage. So standard power banks are not an option - there are expensive ones out there. But I've gone to classes and conferences that lasted most of a day, and it didn't let me down. Battery Saver mode seems to work well.

It's not an iPad and isn't going to have the apps. But if you are a heavy windows users and need certain windows only programs.... it is a great way to go. That said there are a number of Windows Tablet options out there now, even Samsung has a number of them.

But generally, what I see is most consumer seem to be moving away from tablets and towards one device to do it all. Which is the reason big phone sell.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 12-26-17 at 09:39 AM.
    12-26-17 07:38 AM
    The idea of using different email apps for different accounts is very strange to me, after having all my email accounts in one place for the past 13 years! To me that would be like changing my clothes for different conversations during the day!

I live in email, processing over one thousand emails a week across 6-8 different businesses. I need to see everything in one feed, but be able to switch between account views as needed. So far, nothing I've found, including my KEYone does that better than BB10's Hub.

If it were me, I'd go with the Surface Pro, but that's because I'm Windows-based. If you need Mobile apps, and don't need traditional PC apps, then I would go with the iPad. It's terrible for email, IMO, but it's great for individual apps, so long as sharing data between apps and rapid task switching are not part of your workflow.

I have had iPads for 7 years, but I can only use them for leisure time activities. I just don't find them to fit my professional needs at all.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    12-26-17 08:48 AM
    Hi!
    I say go for surface pro specially the 2017 version which is very good!
    Recently along side my passport I use surface pro 2017 (I do have to have an laptop everywhere and surface is way lighter than my old HP pavilion 784 grams against 2.9 Kg!) which I manage to install Arch Linux on it and there is a way to install android (remix os which is x86 android (marshmallow version)) alongside windows whitout need to re partitioning surfaces's hard drive.
    That will give you advantage of windows and android at same time where ipad is unable to do so!
    And since android is touch friendly you may have no problem at all!

Edit: my surface is i7 with 16GB ram and 1TB hard!
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mojarch; 12-26-17 at 09:17 AM.
    12-26-17 08:58 AM
    The idea of using different email apps for different accounts is very strange to me, after having all my email accounts in one place for the past 13 years! To me that would be like changing my clothes for different conversations during the day!

I live in email, processing over one thousand emails a week across 6-8 different businesses. I need to see everything in one feed, but be able to switch between account views as needed. So far, nothing I've found, including my KEYone does that better than BB10's Hub.

If it were me, I'd go with the Surface Pro, but that's because I'm Windows-based. If you need Mobile apps, and don't need traditional PC apps, then I would go with the iPad. It's terrible for email, IMO, but it's great for individual apps, so long as sharing data between apps and rapid task switching are not part of your workflow.

I have had iPads for 7 years, but I can only use them for leisure time activities. I just don't find them to fit my professional needs at all.

You still don't have to use the default iOS email app. You can easily connect all your accounts to the Microsoft outlook app and use one app for all and ignore the default email app completely.
    12-26-17 01:29 PM
    You still don't have to use the default iOS email app. You can easily connect all your accounts to the Microsoft outlook app and use one app for all and ignore the default email app completely.
    Yes, of course, but I was specifically responding to a post describing setting up separate apps for different accounts.

In my opinion, the Outlook app on iOS is not nearly as good as the Hub on BB10 or Android. Plus, that means using iOS for work, which for me ranks just below stapling my hands to a large wasp nest in terms of needless intentionally inflicted pain.

12-26-17 01:40 PM
    Yes, of course, but I was specifically responding to a post describing setting up separate apps for different accounts.

In my opinion, the Outlook app on iOS is not nearly as good as the Hub on BB10 or Android. Plus, that means using iOS for work, which for me ranks just below stapling my hands to a large wasp nest in terms of needless intentionally inflicted pain.

As a fan of BB10... pain should be second nature.

I don't use iOS, but most everyone in the office here does. And emails don't seem to be a problem for any of them. Might be different or even inferior to what BlackBerry/Android offers. But then email isn't what it once was.....
    12-27-17 07:40 AM
    As a fan of BB10... pain should be second nature.

I don't use iOS, but most everyone in the office here does. And emails don't seem to be a problem for any of them. Might be different or even inferior to what BlackBerry/Android offers. But then email isn't what it once was.....
    Of course it depends on each person's use case. Email is still critical to me. I process between 1500 and 2000 emails per week across 6-8 different businesses from individuals, about 2/3 of which require a tailored response from me. My average response time during work hours is less than 15 minutes, and the average length of my response is approximately 240 words. I use a number of templates and other time-saving tips, but still spend 15-20 hours a week composing these high-stakes emails.

Anything that diminishes the quantity or quality of this critical work flow costs me money, and anything that improves it earns me more money. If I ever find a better solution than BB10, you can be sure I'll switch immediately.

People who do not rely on email to develop business and deliver services may well have different priorities.

12-27-17 08:00 AM