Is there a way to make it so that you can use your phone when turning off the mobile network? A window pops up that blocks any user input.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 10:58 AM
    Can't use phone when turning off radio-facepalm.jpg

Just six second only and you can't wait

Symbian is still and always my favourite Os. Nokia 808. FilePLAY Music Player
    07-25-14 11:02 AM
    Is there a way to make it so that you can use your phone when turning off the mobile network? A window pops up that blocks any user input.

Posted via CB10
    Of course the phone doesn't work if you forcibly block access to the cellular network. It has no way to communicate with the outside world, voice calls are cellular only.
    07-25-14 11:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wait for the Window to finish then connect to wifi

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 11:20 AM
    Of course the phone doesn't work if you forcibly block access to the cellular network. It has no way to communicate with the outside world, voice calls are cellular only.
    What he mean is the dialogue that appear for six second.

Can't use phone when turning off radio-img_20140726_010031_edit.png

07-25-14 12:02 PM
    You could open the mobile network and toggle off there. But then it's farther.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 12:43 PM
    What he mean is the dialogue that appear for six second.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140726_010031_edit.png 
Views:	1797 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	286890

So, then wait for the process to complete and return control to the phone.
    07-25-14 12:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    You have all day to use the phone. Why must you choose to use it during this short duration. Or why can't you use the phone first before you turn off the mobile network.
    07-25-14 01:00 PM
    I have to admit I would like for this to be a toast instead of modal dialog. It isn't a huge deal, but still is an annoyance.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 01:04 PM
    I'm really curious about the use case here. I cannot understand how the short duration dialog is interfering with your usage. Please explain exactly what you are trying to do, and how the dialog prevents you from doing that. Thanks

Posted via CB10
    rthonpm likes this.
    07-25-14 03:28 PM
    It isn't the end of the world. It's mostly that I get in the habit of being able to change settings and go on to doing something else very quickly. This is one of two times I've seen where the phone is completely unusable until the operation complete. The other is updating bars, which is understandable. It is just out of the ordinary, and doesn't take any obvious reasoning behind it.

Posted via CB10
    07-25-14 03:32 PM
    If you believe that modal dialogs are preferred for any change, why not use them everywhere?

connect to wifi network = modal dialog until its connected
    Change network mode from 2G to 4G = modal dialog

You don't need to know my use case to know that modal dialogs are not needed, why prefer them over doing it in the background?

But if you must, here is my use case: I have a blackberry because I need to be productive, every second is valuable to me. If I accidentally hit the cell network icon in quick settings I lose 6 seconds. Why do I lose 6 seconds? Because someone decided to make a modal dialog for this setting change. I don't get what their reasoning was, why not do it in the background?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 12:41 PM
    You could submit it as an idea here: https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/nextgen/ideas
    07-30-14 12:54 PM
    If you believe that modal dialogs are preferred for any change, why not use them everywhere?

connect to wifi network = modal dialog until its connected
    Change network mode from 2G to 4G = modal dialog

You don't need to know my use case to know that modal dialogs are not needed, why prefer them over doing it in the background?

But if you must, here is my use case: I have a blackberry because I need to be productive, every second is valuable to me. If I accidentally hit the cell network icon in quick settings I lose 6 seconds. Why do I lose 6 seconds? Because someone decided to make a modal dialog for this setting change. I don't get what their reasoning was, why not do it in the background?

Posted via CB10
    And that modal box gives you the opportunity to realise you did a dumb thing that could cause you lose that billion dollar phone call. Some people just have so little common sense.
    07-30-14 01:45 PM
    And that modal box gives you the opportunity to realise you did a dumb thing that could cause you lose that billion dollar phone call. Some people just have so little common sense.
    So if your thumb accidentally hits one icon instead of another because you have big thumbs then its the user who needs to be punished for doing a dumb thing? I go back to my rational argument that if modal dialogs for setting changes is preferred, do it for everything. Why is it only this one setting change that does this? Why punish the user? Some people do have little common sense, I agree, why bring up common sense instead of talking about the ideal user experience?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 02:10 PM
    So if your thumb accidentally hits one icon instead of another because you have big thumbs then its the user who needs to be punished for doing a dumb thing? I go back to my rational argument that if modal dialogs for setting changes is preferred, do it for everything. Why is it only this one setting change that does this? Why punish the user? Some people do have little common sense, I agree, why bring up common sense instead of talking about the ideal user experience?

Posted via CB10
    First, I see the common sense comment went right over your head. Second, it's a very simple concept. All settings do not need a modal dialogs, but turning off all radios on a communications device definitely needs a modal dialog.

You think you're being punished for either having fat fingers or for doing a dumb thing,and that's where you're wrong. Punishment would be mistakingly hitting airplane mode unintentionally and not being able to immedietly cancel that action.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 06:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    How are you accidentally toggling it? From Settings app or Quick Settings drop-down menu? If it's the latter just remove it from Quick Settings.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 06:45 PM
    It could be as its turning on/off lots of things the phones performance may not be up to par? So modal dialogues mask this

-
    07-31-14 02:25 AM
    There are a lot of services that need to be changed when you turn off the mobile network. Not only does the device need to turn off the radios, but it also needs to close or stop all processes that connect to the mobile network, which on a smartphone can be quite a few, and restart them in the background. For the amount of things going on in the background, being unable to access anything on the device for less than ten seconds isn't so bad. Kind of seems like a grasping at straws kind of complaint instead of a real issue.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 05:58 AM
    How are you accidentally toggling it? From Settings app or Quick Settings drop-down menu? If it's the latter just remove it from Quick Settings.

Posted via CB10
    I often change my mobile settings between 2g and LTE so I really like the mobile network quick setting, and sometimes I accidentally hit the icon that turns off my mobile network, just something I must learn to live with.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 09:45 AM
    I often change my mobile settings between 2g and LTE so I really like the mobile network quick setting, and sometimes I accidentally hit the icon that turns off my mobile network, just something I must learn to live with.

Posted via CB10
    Only thing I can offer there is to either position it on the right side of the menu so that the mobile network button is on the outside, or at the very bottom of the list to make a better target.
    07-31-14 02:29 PM
    Mobile network off/on = modal dialog
    Other settings = no modal dialog

So now you know which one you accidentally turned off. Imagine if no modal dialog on mobile network, perhaps you want to turn off wifi or turning off/on your alarm or turn your phone into silent but instead you hit mobile network and it shuts down your mobile network. Pointless? I don't think so. It's some kind of warning purposes.

Sorry for bad grammar english is not my native language.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 01:51 AM
    I personally believe that it us also a "safety" feature. The dialog box stays open for a little time so that everyone can read and realise that the radio is really being turned off!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-14 02:08 AM
    I personally believe that it us also a "safety" feature. The dialog box stays open for a little time so that everyone can read and realise that the radio is really being turned off!

Posted via CB10
    Doesn't it is easier to see the status bar

08-01-14 07:00 AM
    I find it annoying too...

Z30 CB10 APP
    08-01-14 07:10 AM
31 12