Hey there,

I recently switched to Fizz Mobile, a new low-cost (relatively) carrier in Canada. Their shtick is that they forego traditional features of carriers (brick and mortar stores, live support, etc.) to get prices that low. What it also means is that subscribers are left to figure a lot of things out on their own.

For months, MMS had been hit-or-miss on the carrier, but according to r/FizzMobile it has been fixed universally for a month or so, so I switched a few days ago. Unfortunately, I still can't get MMS to work, and the reason seems pretty clear.

Here are the MMS settings that dozens of people on the subreddit confirm to work:

Name: [anything]
    APN: mobile.bm
    MMSC: http://mms.mobile.bm
    MMS proxy: mmsproxy.mobile.bm
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 500
    APN type: default,mms,supl

That last one in particular, APN type, seems to be the root of a lot of the problems people were having, and I suspect that it's the reason why I'm having trouble. Unfortunately, whilst this was easily remedied in BBOS, BB10 is presenting some unique challenges. Namely, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to input most of these. When I open up the APN settings page, this is all I see:

Can't send/receive MMS — "APN type" in Settings-apn-settings.jpg

I'm a bit incredulous that RIM would have simply omitted these very critical fields. Is there somewhere else to input these that I'm missing? If not, is there any backdoor I can use to change the APN type? Perhaps an Android app that will modify the settings that aren't natively there?

I gave up an amazing American plan ($30/month for truly unlimited calls/texts/data most anywhere in the world) for the convenience of having a Canadian number. I'd hate to think that I ended up giving it up for nothing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    01-30-19 01:48 PM
    Hey there,

I recently switched to Fizz Mobile, a new low-cost (relatively) carrier in Canada. Their shtick is that they forego traditional features of carriers (brick and mortar stores, live support, etc.) to get prices that low. What it also means is that subscribers are left to figure a lot of things out on their own.

For months, MMS had been hit-or-miss on the carrier, but according to r/FizzMobile it has been fixed universally for a month or so, so I switched a few days ago. Unfortunately, I still can't get MMS to work, and the reason seems pretty clear.

Here are the MMS settings that dozens of people on the subreddit confirm to work:

Name: [anything]
    APN: mobile.bm
    MMSC: http://mms.mobile.bm
    MMS proxy: mmsproxy.mobile.bm
    MMS port: 80
    MCC: 302
    MNC: 500
    APN type: default,mms,supl

That last one in particular, APN type, seems to be the root of a lot of the problems people were having, and I suspect that it's the reason why I'm having trouble. Unfortunately, whilst this was easily remedied in BBOS, BB10 is presenting some unique challenges. Namely, there doesn't seem to be anywhere to input most of these. When I open up the APN settings page, this is all I see:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	apn settings.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	442728

I'm a bit incredulous that RIM would have simply omitted these very critical fields. Is there somewhere else to input these that I'm missing? If not, is there any backdoor I can use to change the APN type? Perhaps an Android app that will modify the settings that aren't natively there?

I gave up an amazing American plan ($30/month for truly unlimited calls/texts/data most anywhere in the world) for the convenience of having a Canadian number. I'd hate to think that I ended up giving it up for nothing.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    Thejackson, this one may be tough.

Please forgive the basic questions but I have to ask:

1. Do you have a Fizz SIM card, as in purchased straight from them? Some Blackberry 10 devices have a SIM lock on some of the more complex settings and they cannot be manually altered. I wouldn't advise asking Fizz about the matter; just buy the card directly.

2. It does not look like you will be able to use an Android launcher to edit BB10 APN settings. Those I have tried crash when that part of the Android Settings app is selected.

3. I'm assuming the settings you are able to input aren't working. Do you know what main carrier Fizz piggybacks from? It is possible that having specific "text-to-email" information in the username field might help this (not likely necessarily, but possible...)
    01-31-19 10:55 PM
    Thejackson, this one may be tough.

Please forgive the basic questions but I have to ask:

1. Do you have a Fizz SIM card, as in purchased straight from them? Some Blackberry 10 devices have a SIM lock on some of the more complex settings and they cannot be manually altered. I wouldn't advise asking Fizz about the matter; just buy the card directly.

2. It does not look like you will be able to use an Android launcher to edit BB10 APN settings. Those I have tried crash when that part of the Android Settings app is selected.

3. I'm assuming the settings you are able to input aren't working. Do you know what main carrier Fizz piggybacks from? It is possible that having specific "text-to-email" information in the username field might help this (not likely necessarily, but possible...)
    Thanks for the reply!

1. It's an unlocked Passport SE. The SIM was purchased directly from Fizz but they do not automatically provision their SIM cards.

2. Damn, that sucks. Thanks for trying.

3. Fizz is an MVNO on Vidéotron. I already tried inputting their MMS details (well, the fields that I can), that didn't work either.

Honestly, I don't mind not being able to send MMS, I could live with that. But not being able to receive it is very problematic. I never know when I receive a photo or group chat; to other people, there's no way for them to know that I'm not ignoring them. Any help would be very appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    02-01-19 01:57 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

1. It's an unlocked Passport SE. The SIM was purchased directly from Fizz but they do not automatically provision their SIM cards.

2. Damn, that sucks. Thanks for trying.

3. Fizz is an MVNO on Vidéotron. I already tried inputting their MMS details (well, the fields that I can), that didn't work either.

Honestly, I don't mind not being able to send MMS, I could live with that. But not being able to receive it is very problematic. I never know when I receive a photo or group chat; to other people, there's no way for them to know that I'm not ignoring them. Any help would be very appreciated.

Posted via CB10
    Wait, they don't automatically provision their SIM cards? So you have to manually provision all settings?

Do you have another phone you could test the SIM with to see if you could set the appropriate APNs, test functionality, and then switch back to your BB10 phone?
    02-05-19 12:42 PM
    When I had problems sending mms on wind (freedom) I found that my leap had by default made the first letter capital. When I manually changed all setting to all lowercase it fixed all mms problems.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-19 02:26 PM
    Wait, they don't automatically provision their SIM cards? So you have to manually provision all settings?
    That's correct!

Do you have another phone you could test the SIM with to see if you could set the appropriate APNs, test functionality, and then switch back to your BB10 phone?
    That's a brilliant idea! I'm going to test it out once I can get my hands on an Android phone.

When I had problems sending mms on wind (freedom) I found that my leap had by default made the first letter capital. When I manually changed all setting to all lowercase it fixed all mms problems.
    Thanks for the lead but, as the screenshot shows, all the settings I have entered do start with lowercase.
    02-06-19 01:46 AM