Ok, folks, some things to clarify.

- All BB10 devices support DLNA, both for sharing to a DLNA device or for using a DLNA device as a renderer.
    - DRM media won't play on a renderer, unless it is supported by it. Your BB10 device is streaming the file to the renderer, which plays it's content. You could even stream MKV video with codecs that are not supported in BB10 (AC3 audio, for instance).
    - The Q10 and Z30 are Miracast enabled. However, it seems DRM files are blocked from rendering when Miracast is enabled. It is kind of dumb to have this restriction when other platforms support streaming of protected content (iOS). It is silly to purchase movies on the Q10 and only be able to watch them with an HDMI cable!

Posted via CB10
    Interesting, and very silly to limit things so strictly.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 12:29 AM
    Ok, folks, some things to clarify.

- All BB10 devices support DLNA, both for sharing to a DLNA device or for using a DLNA device as a renderer.
    - DRM media won't play on a renderer, unless it is supported by it. Your BB10 device is streaming the file to the renderer, which plays it's content. You could even stream MKV video with codecs that are not supported in BB10 (AC3 audio, for instance).
    - The Q10 and Z30 are Miracast enabled. However, it seems DRM files are blocked from rendering when Miracast is enabled. It is kind of dumb to have this restriction when other platforms support streaming of protected content (iOS). It is silly to purchase movies on the Q10 and only be able to watch them with an HDMI cable!

Posted via CB10
    Your comments about a DLNA renderer are contrary to my understanding. From what I have seen/read, the renderer is just receiving an audio and video stream already processed by the unit rendering. Meaning the player that is sending the stream to the renderer has already dealt with the DRM and whatever codecs are needed to play the file.

Are you saying this is not accurate?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 06:41 AM
    Your comments about a DLNA renderer are contrary to my understanding. From what I have seen/read, the renderer is just receiving an audio and video stream already processed by the unit rendering. Meaning the player that is sending the stream to the renderer has already dealt with the DRM and whatever codecs are needed to play the file.

Are you saying this is not accurate?

Posted via CB10
    It is actually, the opposite, a DLNA renderer will decode the stream and play it.

For instance, I stream an mkv TV episode from my Q10 via DLNA to raspbmc, the XBMC port for the raspberry pi. When I select from the lost of devices to play it clearly "XBMC... renderer..."

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 08:34 PM
    It is actually, the opposite, a DLNA renderer will decode the stream and play it.

For instance, I stream an mkv TV episode from my Q10 via DLNA to raspbmc, the XBMC port for the raspberry pi. When I select from the lost of devices to play it clearly "XBMC... renderer..."

Posted via CB10
    I'm not following your example.

If what you say is true, then what is the difference between a DLNA renderer and DLNA player, because it sounds like they are opening the DRM file and playing it. In other words it doesn't make sense to me that the originating device would stream the video with the DRM intact.

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 08:57 PM
    The TV supporting WMV files means it can play them as a DLNA media player. This is different from a DLNA media renderer which means the BlackBerry 10 device is actually playing the file and sending the audio and video to the remote device

You can't play your BlackBerry world files remotely by browsing them on your BlackBerry from your TV because they are protected my DRM and your TV doesn't have the rights/ability to play them.

In theory you should be able to render them from the BlackBerry device which can process the DRM in the files, but it needs to push the audio and video to your TV.

You need to use the BlackBerry video players "play on" feature to have it play the video and push it out. I have seen where some 10.2.1.1055 users have said it's broken, but then I have seen other people say it's working.

My advice to you all is to confirm your TV is a DLNA media renderer first and foremost. For example my PS3 is a DLNA media player only so I can push/play BlackBerry videos with DRM through it.

Once you confirm it is a DLNA media renderer, then you can troubleshoot why it's not working.

Posted via CB10
    How did you make it work on the PS3?

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 11:51 PM
    All this back and forth, has anyone made it work to stream a BBW movie to a TV over DLNA??

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:21 AM
    How did you make it work on the PS3?

Posted via CB10
    You have to enable media sharing on your device and then attach to you device through your PS3. Then you can play files on it as your device more or less acts as a glorified file server. It will not work for DRM protected files as the PS3 does not have the rights to play the files.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 08:55 AM
    All this back and forth, has anyone made it work to stream a BBW movie to a TV over DLNA??

Posted via CB10
    I am starting to wonder the same thing. However I have seen people say they have gotten it to work which is where I got my information from.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 08:56 AM
    You have to enable media sharing on your device and then attach to you device through your PS3. Then you can play files on it as your device more or less acts as a glorified file server. It will not work for DRM protected files as the PS3 does not have the rights to play the files.

Posted via CB10
    I'm confused, I thought your original post said you can push movies with drm through the PS3. Did I read it wrong?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 12:43 PM
    I'm confused, I thought your original post said you can push movies with drm through the PS3. Did I read it wrong?

Posted via CB10
    I said you could not push anything to the PS3 because it is just a DLNA player and not a DLNA renderer. It can see the files on my device if I turn on sharing, but it is remotely accessing the files and therefore if it can't process the DRM encoding then it won't play it.
    That's why I keep pushing for a DLNA renderer as the device should have already processed the DRM protection. I wish my PS3 had this ability.

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 01:30 PM
    I can play anything of DLNA to my WD TV Live device...again the issue is with the DRM BlackBerry World movies....hopefully someone finds a fix for this as I purchased these movies and should be able to play them over DLNA!
    12-12-13 12:00 AM
    I can play anything of DLNA to my WD TV Live device...again the issue is with the DRM BlackBerry World movies....hopefully someone finds a fix for this as I purchased these movies and should be able to play them over DLNA!
    Are you using the "play on" feature on your BlackBerry device to push the streaming to you WD device, or are you browsing the movies on you BlackBerry device from your WD device like a remote file repository?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:45 AM
    Are you using the "play on" feature on your BlackBerry device to push the streaming to you WD device, or are you browsing the movies on you BlackBerry device from your WD device like a remote file repository?

Posted via CB10
    I don't think you can stream your screen over DLNA like with HDMI. So no streaming video...

Did I misunderstand?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 06:56 AM
    I have 3 DLNA certified gadgets at home (Vizio Google TV, Xbox 360, Samsung 3D Blu ray)
    My media used to play fine when I was on 10.1 since updating to 10.2 it doesn't play and my phone can't find any of these devices on the wifi they all use to connect to the Internet. What could be wrong? Do I need to turn bluetooth on?

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 07:29 AM
39 12