Yelp is being lazy,and not properly formatting the page. The web browser could make a guess about how the page author intended the page to look, but that will slow down the parser for all pages. Why punish well written pages because some are bad? I switched to BlackBerry from iOS, so I know how convenient that auto parsing can be, when it works, and agree with you that it's less good this way. However, being accepting of badly formatted Web pages is what got the internet into the compatibility mess of the mid 2000's: it's better for the ecosystem ad a whole if the browser refuses to parse incorrect pages. Unfortunately, when players like apple let them get away with it, the only thing following the rules does, is inconvenience BlackBerry users. I'm still in favour of optimizing the vast majority of my Web pages, even if it means Yelp is less useful.

Posted via CB10
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    10-10-13 09:11 PM
    To be fair, I accept that being able to click on a number to dial it is more convenient and more user-friendly. However, this should be entirely up to the webmaster. The failure of Yelp, with 108 million visits a month, to both properly format their phone numbers and detect a WebKit-based mobile browser is to blame here. Until it is commonplace for webmasters to pair non-telephone digits with a tag disabling automatic formatting, Mobile Safari is pulling some Internet Explorer, "I've-got-the-marketshare-to-do-as-I-please" shenanigans.
    I bet the same people that crucified IE back in the day are the same people praising iOS right now....

Posted via my Z10
    10-11-13 05:33 PM
    It is amazing how when you bring up the fact a feature is missing from a phone that all competitiors seem to do the BB faithfull get so defeinsive hahahaha ! Is hilarious.....

Wayne_Enterprises I'm sure this will be "fixed" in 10.6 and when it does you'll get people saying (prob the same lot saying its a website bug) wow awesome fix.....
    This isn't a missing feature for crying out loud!!!! When will you guys figure this out?!?!

Posted via my Z10
    10-11-13 05:35 PM
    When Blackberry wakes up and realizes "hmmm, all of our competitors do this, so maybe we should too, even if it's the "fault" of web designer."

This isn't a missing feature for crying out loud!!!! When will you guys figure this out?!?!

Posted via my Z10
    10-11-13 05:43 PM
    When Blackberry wakes up and realizes "hmmm, all of our competitors do this, so maybe we should too, even if it's the "fault" of web designer."

Nah, cause haters are gonna hate...

You will complain that they didn't implement it right, or if they do, you will crucify them for copying Apple. And then you will complain when you call 19004298255 (figure out what that phone number is) when you meant to track a package or get info on a products serial number.

*by the way, my Z10 registered this as a phone number and asked if I wanted to call it when I clicked on it.

Posted via my Z10
    10-11-13 08:56 PM
    Nah, cause haters are gonna hate...

You will complain that they didn't implement it right, or if they do, you will crucify them for copying Apple. And then you will complain when you call 19004298255 (figure out what that phone number is) when you meant to track a package or get info on a products serial number.

*by the way, my Z10 registered this as a phone number and asked if I wanted to call it when I clicked on it.

Posted via my Z10
    The last thing I would do is complain if BlackBerry copied Apple.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-11-13 09:03 PM
    LMAO at this thread.
    I am on the OP site simply because I need that function to work.
    However, I do understand that standards must be followed but 50% of the planet doesn't agree and uses iPhone.

One advise, try using mobile sites - I've seen some that phone number is clickable at the mobile version but not on the desktop.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 10-12-13 at 01:14 PM.
    10-12-13 08:22 AM
    BlackBerry is horrible because they aren't perfect. BlackBerry should be more like the iPhone! I love how my iPhone can't "delete", it can only backspace (you MAC people may not know what I mean), and I just love how when I'm viewing a picture on my iPhone, then go into another app, when I go back to my photos app I am brought to the main folder list and not at the spot I left off. Its so much fun going through all my pictures again just to get back to where I left off a minute before. I just love the headache I get when opening apps on iOS 7 with the nauseating animations.

The point is, after 7 iterations, the iPhone still isn't perfect. BlackBerry 10 has been out for 6 months and it has nearly caught up in every aspect except for apps. Let's stop nitpicking and give a little credit!

Posted via my Z10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-12-13 10:09 AM
    However, I do understand that standards must be followed but 50% of the planet doesn't agree and uses iPhone.
    So when Apple choose not to support Flash, FLAC, HDMI, Micro USB, DLNA, Micro SD, USB mass storage, Bluetooth file transfer, NFC then that's OK is it?

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    10-12-13 10:23 AM
    So when Apple choose not to support Flash, FLAC, HDMI, Micro USB, DLNA, Micro SD, USB mass storage, Bluetooth file transfer, NFC then that's OK is it?

Posted via CB10
    Double standards. Lol.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 11:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hmmm...check your facts..... about 50% of this is accurate.

10-12-13 11:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    it's not OK with me, and that's why I don't touch anything iSh****. But like I said, surprisingly it's ok with 50% of the population.

In case it wasn't clear, I agreed with the OP's problem but I also agree that standards should be followed - e.g. I don't agree with his/her comparison.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-12-13 01:15 PM
    I understand hyperlinks and html code. My beef on this issue has to do with the fact iOS is smart enough to realize, hey that's a number, would you like to dial or add that to your contacts.

So Safari, as I'm guessing that's what your using, does that for every number character or string of number characters on a web page? Man that would be annoying especially when selecting text for copying and pasting if every number was a effectively a hyperlink when the vast majority of them don't need to be.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 01:24 PM
    So Safari, as I'm guessing that's what your using, does that for every number character or string of number characters on a web page? Man that would be annoying especially when selecting text for copying and pasting if every number was a effectively a hyperlink when the vast majority of them don't need to be.

Posted via CB10
    Safari and Chrome on Droid OS. I must be in the minority....I'm not doing a lot of copying and pasting numbers from my browser. I'm looking up phone numbers most of the time...
    10-12-13 01:26 PM
    BlackBerry is horrible because they aren't perfect. BlackBerry should be more like the iPhone! I love how my iPhone can't "delete", it can only backspace (you MAC people may not know what I mean), and I just love how when I'm viewing a picture on my iPhone, then go into another app, when I go back to my photos app I am brought to the main folder list and not at the spot I left off. Its so much fun going through all my pictures again just to get back to where I left off a minute before. I just love the headache I get when opening apps on iOS 7 with the nauseating animations.

The point is, after 7 iterations, the iPhone still isn't perfect. BlackBerry 10 has been out for 6 months and it has nearly caught up in every aspect except for apps. Let's stop nitpicking and give a little credit!

Posted via my Z10
    I don't know that I've seen this argument made so succinctly or with quite the impact but I think it's a very valid point that BBRY is catching up to where iOs is now after 7 iterations and they are on their 3rd major release (I would say).
    10-15-13 09:43 AM
65 123