Is copy and pasting really that big of a deal? Oh lawdy please help society...

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    Oh get off your soapbox with comments like these. If BlackBerry competitors can do "x" function, then the BlackBerry should do it too.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-10-13 01:16 PM
    Oh get off your soapbox with comments like these. If BlackBerry competitors can do "x" function, then the BlackBerry should do it too.

However, if "x" function is wrong, than BlackBerry should not be doing it. iOS is doing it wrong. For you it may not be a big deal, but for me, it is a pain in the *** how Safari handles 7 number strings that are not telephone numbers!

Posted via my Z10
    BravoZuluDelta and bradu1 like this.
    10-10-13 01:27 PM
    However, if "x" function is wrong, than BlackBerry should not be doing it. iOS is doing it wrong. For you it may not be a big deal, but for me, it is a pain in the *** how Safari handles 7 number strings that are not telephone numbers!

Posted via my Z10
    One person's opinion vs. the close to 50% of the world that is using iPhones.

10-10-13 01:31 PM
    One person's opinion vs. the close to 50% of the world that is using iPhones.

How many of those 50% chose an iPhone because its browser made 7-digit numbers clickable?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 01:32 PM
    How many of those 50% chose an iPhone because its browser made 7-digit numbers clickable?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Dumbest question I've seen on here in a while.

10-10-13 01:34 PM
    Dumbest question I've seen on here in a while.

You made the assertion that 50% of the world preferred automatic formatting of 7-digit numbers. This is absolutely false.

I'll play ball and stoop to your level.

Dumbest assertion I've seen on here in a while.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 01:39 PM
    You made the assertion that 50% of the world preferred automatic formatting of 7-digit numbers. This is absolutely false.

I'll play ball and stoop to your level.

Dumbest assertion I've seen on here in a while.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    If you read my comment, I said close to 50% of the world uses iOS. If you can show me where I said 50% of the world uses iOS BECAUSE of formatting phone numbers, I'll gladly stand corrected.

10-10-13 01:43 PM
    If you read my comment, I said close to 50% of the world uses iOS. If you can show me where I said 50% of the world uses iOS BECAUSE of formatting phone numbers, I'll gladly stand corrected.

The only way your post made sense in context was as a comparison of one person's opinion to the opinions of iPhone users. Otherwise, there is no correlation at all and you might as well compare one person's opinion to 50% of the world who eat bananas.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Dave Bourque and paper_monkey like this.
    10-10-13 01:50 PM
    The only way your post made sense in context was as a comparison of one person's opinion to the opinions of iPhone users. Otherwise, there is no correlation at all and you might as well compare one person's opinion to 50% of the world who eat bananas.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    50% of the world eats banannas?????

10-10-13 01:57 PM
    50% of the world eats banannas?????

Good misdirection. Don't think anyone noticed.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 01:59 PM
    Not trying to misdirect, I just don't think I need to go into detail re: the 50%-ish of the world that uses iOS. Give my mom a BB and tell her to look up a restaurant and then dial it for a reservation:

"Son, I'm clicking on this number but it's not working."
    "Copy and paste it mom."
    "WHAT? Oh nevermind, I just pulled it up on my iPhone and it's dialing".

Good misdirection. Don't think anyone noticed.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 02:03 PM
    Not trying to misdirect, I just don't think I need to go into detail re: the 50%-ish of the world that uses iOS. Give my mom a BB and tell her to look up a restaurant and then dial it for a reservation:

"Copy and paste it mom."
    Which is a failure of the webmaster to format it properly.

Doing it the iOS way, let's say I'm looking for something with the model number 5608414221. I see it as a link and think I can pull up more information. Instead, I call some poor guy that doesn't know who I am.

Now think of this happening at 3 AM, or with a model number of 9115368425.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 02:06 PM
    Which is a failure of the webmaster to format it properly.

Doing it the iOS way, let's say I'm looking for something with the model number 5608414221. I see it as a link and think I can pull up more information. Instead, I call some poor guy that doesn't know who I am.

Now think of this happening at 3 AM, or with a model number of 9115368425.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    Show me a website with this scenario (inventory thingy), versus a review site that warrants 108 million unique visitors a month.

You realize how that will not dial 911...we're not on landlines...
    10-10-13 02:09 PM

"Copy and paste it mom."
    Congratulations on having a moderately tech savvy mom then... give my mom any smart phone and ask her to look up a restaruant and she'll go to canada411, look up the restaurant and call them..

I'm just as much at fault for letting myself get dragged into this but I still can't figure out, other than picking a fight, why you think this is such a huge deal?

I mean from the standpoint of developers not following established protocols, I can see how that would frustrate web developers when their content is displayed/interacted with in a manner that they never intended but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why, of all the many, many, many deep flaws in BB10, that this is the one causing you so much concern.
    Wayne_Enterprises likes this.
    10-10-13 02:16 PM
    Show me a website with this scenario (inventory thingy), versus a review site that warrants 108 million unique visitors a month.

You realize how that will not dial 911...we're not on landlines...
    I've got a not quite 5 year old who will happily disprove that assertion for you..
    p.s. when the provincial police call your cell phone at 5:30 in the morning to see what the emergency is, it's not such a great wake up call.. It's a wonderfull reminder to keep one's phone out of the reach of one's children though.
    10-10-13 02:19 PM
    Because it creates an extra step that takes away productivity. Stone me for bit**ing about something so trivial, but stuff like this matters to some people. That's all I'm trying to say.

Congratulations on having a moderately tech savvy mom then... give my mom any smart phone and ask her to look up a restaruant and she'll go to canada411, look up the restaurant and call them..

I'm just as much at fault for letting myself get dragged into this but I still can't figure out, other than picking a fight, why you think this is such a huge deal?

I mean from the standpoint of developers not following established protocols, I can see how that would frustrate web developers when their content is displayed/interacted with in a manner that they never intended but I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why, of all the many, many, many deep flaws in BB10, that this is the one causing you so much concern.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-10-13 02:19 PM
    Because it creates an extra step that takes away productivity. Stone me for bit**ing about something so trivial, but stuff like this matters to some people. That's all I'm trying to say.
    Well then say that in the first post and when someone points out a valid point, stop trying to pick a fight.
    10-10-13 02:23 PM
    Pretty sure I made that clear.

Well then say that in the first post and when someone points out a valid point, stop trying to pick a fight.
    10-10-13 02:24 PM
    ISBN numbers can have 10 digits. I bet those get incorrectly formatted on Mobile Safari.

Public libraries, universities, course overviews...all could be websites with a 10-digit ISBN that is not meant to be dialed.

And yes, your cell phone will absolutely dial 911 if a string of numbers begins with it.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 02:26 PM
    Because it creates an extra step that takes away productivity ...
    When did booking a restaurant become a matter for a productivity drive?

Copy-paste ...dial...talk...book table...travel to restaurant...eat. I think 5 extra seconds to copy and paste the telephone number is fairly insignificant.

Posted via CB10
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-10-13 02:30 PM

Copy-paste ...dial...talk...book table...travel to restaurant...eat. I think 5 extra seconds to copy and paste the telephone number is fairly insignificant.

Posted via CB10
    To each his own.

10-10-13 02:33 PM
    You're right. Heaven forbid a smartphone overlooking that and being able to recognize 10 digits on a web site as a phone number. It's not like iOS and Android do that...oh wait, they do.

Jesus christ.

I love BlackBerry but some of you all who just gloss over bugs and features left out/missing in OS 10 fascinate me.

I agree. Things should all be getting smarter, not dumber. Google recognizes all kinds of things. The formatting of ups tracking codes. The formatting of usps delivery confirmation codes. And FedEx.

Coding into the browser to recognize a string formatted as (xxx) xxx-xxxx ain't rocket science.

But yeah as I recall OS 7 was special as far as BlackBerry goes in being able to do this.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-10-13 02:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, I accept that being able to click on a number to dial it is more convenient and more user-friendly. However, this should be entirely up to the webmaster. The failure of Yelp, with 108 million visits a month, to both properly format their phone numbers and detect a WebKit-based mobile browser is to blame here. Until it is commonplace for webmasters to pair non-telephone digits with a tag disabling automatic formatting, Mobile Safari is pulling some Internet Explorer, "I've-got-the-marketshare-to-do-as-I-please" shenanigans.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-10-13 02:38 PM

It is amazing how when you bring up the fact a feature is missing from a phone that all competitiors seem to do the BB faithfull get so defeinsive hahahaha ! Is hilarious.....

Wayne_Enterprises I'm sure this will be "fixed" in 10.6 and when it does you'll get people saying (prob the same lot saying its a website bug) wow awesome fix.....
    10-10-13 02:48 PM
    I don't think I've ever seen someone get so upset over not being able to dial a number from a browser

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    paper_monkey likes this.
    10-10-13 05:35 PM
65 123