Humor me people.

Go here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/church-and-state-los-angeles

Now try and click on the number to dial that restaurant.

Everyone knows Yelp. Everyone uses Yelp.

BB10 does not recognize a phone number anywhere on Yelp. WTF is up with that?

To top it off, I brought this issue up to my BlackBerry CSR handling all bug tickets. She came back and said "the website is not properly formatting phone numbers using recognized web standards"

SERIOUSLY???? This is another BUG!!!! I could dial from my 9930, and my iOS devices sure as hell recognize that as a phone number!

Why is BlackBerry support so ignorant when presented with issues.

Am I crazy?

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-09-13 11:28 PM
    Humor me people.

Go here: Church & State - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

To top it off, I brought this issue up to my BlackBerry CSR handling all bug tickets. She came back and said "the website is not properly formatting phone numbers using recognized web standards"

SERIOUSLY???? This is another BUG!!!! I could dial from my 9930, and my iOS devices sure as hell recognize that as a phone number!

Am I crazy?

Hey, who needs apps when the browser will do just fine?
    Mack Gans likes this.
    10-10-13 12:26 AM
    Copy - paste?

Technically the answer you were given is correct since the Yelp web page does not format the phone number as a link with a "tel:" URI. You will get the same behaviour on a PC.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    10-10-13 12:53 AM
    Copy - paste?

Posted via CB10
    Ummm....

10-10-13 01:01 AM
    Not a bug... see above

Posted via CB10
    10-10-13 01:04 AM
    More like #YelpFail - poor website development..

Below, BlackBerry even adds the Country (+91) and City Code (22) for me through Smart Dialing.

Can't Dial Yelp Numbers From Browser?-img_00000434.jpg

Can't Dial Yelp Numbers From Browser?-img_00000435.jpg

Hey, who needs apps when the browser will do just fine?
    Well said, I don't need a JustDial App (Country Directory) because the Website is coded the same as the App.
    Suraj Jadhav likes this.
    10-10-13 01:05 AM
    Not a bug... see above

Posted via CB10
    So why does the 9930 in my hand, my iPad (which isn't even a phone mind you, but can recognize a # if I want to put it into my contacts), and my wife's iPhone all realize this is a phone number that I could dial if I would like to?

10-10-13 01:07 AM
    More like #YelpFail - poor website development..

Below, BlackBerry even adds the Country (+91) and City Code (22) for me through Smart Dialing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000434.jpg 
Views:	761 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	209569

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000435.jpg 
Views:	761 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	209570
    Poor website development?? Please...

10-10-13 01:08 AM
    if anything it's an improvement that could be made to the browser to recognise phone numbers that aren't correctly tmarked up in the HTML

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    10-10-13 01:59 AM
    Only if Yelp didn't force the Yelp app off the app world....
    10-10-13 08:45 AM
    It's fascinating to see people just gloss over the 'bug', in my opinion. Especially considering the 9930 on 7.1 had no problem dialing from a browser, and something iOS devices have no problem doing of course.

And to the "go use the Yelp app" comments, no thanks. I'd rather the browser work like it should and not have to rely on 3rd party apps.

10-10-13 09:31 AM
    If you believe there is a problem... report the bug...

Posted via CB10
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-10-13 09:50 AM
    If you believe there is a problem... report the bug...

Posted via CB10
    Please read post before....copping....attitude....with....ellipses. ...

Bug was reported, RIM pushed it aside.
    10-10-13 09:55 AM
    I just checked on my 9800 browser, and it doesn't get formatted as a telephone number there. So is the OS7 browser special, or are you comparing this website to completely different ones on your 9930?

This is a Yelp fail, for not correctly bringing up the mobile Yelp website.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 10:02 AM
    Humor me people.

Go here: Church & State - Downtown - Los Angeles, CA

Am I crazy?

Have you tried doing it on your 9930 or are you saying that dialing from a web page is something you could do from your 9930 because I just tried on my 9300 and it couldn't dial directly from the page. I had to select, copy and paste which is two button presses more than dialing directly from the page. A mild annoyance to me but I can see how that could be more annoying for others.

and for the record, while I may have heard of Yelp, I certainly don't use it so, while pedantic, I would challenge your assertion that Everyone uses Yelp..
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    10-10-13 10:11 AM
    Have you tried doing it on your 9930 or are you saying that dialing from a web page is something you could do from your 9930 because I just tried on my 9300 and it couldn't dial directly from the page. I had to select, copy and paste which is two button presses more than dialing directly from the page. A mild annoyance to me but I can see how that could be more annoying for others.

and for the record, while I may have heard of Yelp, I certainly don't use it so, while pedantic, I would challenge your assertion that Everyone uses Yelp..
    I could dial from my 9930 and iOS devices.

Okay fine, you don't use Yelp, great, look at the bigger picture, inability to dial from a website while BBOS and iOS have no problem. This is an issue.

10-10-13 10:47 AM

Okay fine, you don't use Yelp, great, look at the bigger picture, inability to dial from a website while BBOS and iOS have no problem. This is an issue.

On Yelp.com?

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 10:50 AM
    Maybe this will demonstrate it better.

Try clicking this link: http://www.crackberry.com

No go? Is your browser broken?

Now try this: http://www.crackberry.com

Hey, that worked.

The difference is in how the HTML is written. If the browser is not told that it is a URL, it should not format it as such. The same applies to phone numbers. If the website intends for you to dial from that number, it should format it using a tel: tag. Otherwise, you run into weirdness like with early Skype plugins, where things like UPC codes and model numbers would turn into a phone number.
    bradu1 likes this.
    10-10-13 10:56 AM
    sideload the app, and enjoy.

http://goo.gl/gKpO6o
    10-10-13 11:04 AM
    Maybe this will demonstrate it better.

Try clicking this link: http://www.crackberry.com

No go? Is your browser broken?

Now try this: http://www.crackberry.com

Hey, that worked.

The difference is in how the HTML is written. If the browser is not told that it is a URL, it should not format it as such. The same applies to phone numbers. If the website intends for you to dial from that number, it should format it using a tel: tag. Otherwise, you run into weirdness like with early Skype plugins, where things like UPC codes and model numbers would turn into a phone number.
    I understand hyperlinks and html code. My beef on this issue has to do with the fact iOS is smart enough to realize, hey that's a number, would you like to dial or add that to your contacts.

10-10-13 11:14 AM
    I understand hyperlinks and html code. My beef on this issue has to do with the fact iOS is smart enough to realize, hey that's a number, would you like to dial or add that to your contacts.

That's a poor design choice. It should be up to the webmaster to decide whether a number sequence can be dialed.

Example: ios - iPhone making a plain number in to a linked phone number - Stack Overflow
    10-10-13 11:19 AM
    That's a poor design choice. It should be up to the webmaster to decide whether a number sequence can be dialed.

Example: ios - iPhone making a plain number in to a linked phone number - Stack Overflow
    You're right. Heaven forbid a smartphone overlooking that and being able to recognize 10 digits on a web site as a phone number. It's not like iOS and Android do that...oh wait, they do.

Jesus christ.

I love BlackBerry but some of you all who just gloss over bugs and features left out/missing in OS 10 fascinate me.

10-10-13 11:29 AM
    You're right. Heaven forbid a smartphone overlooking that and being able to recognize 10 digits on a web site as a phone number. It's not like iOS and Android do that...oh wait, they do.

Jesus christ.

I love BlackBerry but some of you all who just gloss over bugs and features left out/missing in OS 10 fascinate me.

Did you read the link?

"Tel:" markup is universally understood, just like email and http markup. iOS is pushing ahead with their automatic parsing, which is frustrating webmasters until it's more widely known how to disable the automatic formatting through HTML (it is possible). Until this is more widely adopted, I don't think it should be implemented at the risk of breaking website formatting. Mobile Safari is off doing their own weird thing like Internet Explorer used to do.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-10-13 11:36 AM

Well looking at this thread alone, there are at least two of us who have tried to dial the number on our BBOS devices and it hasn't worked. Again, for the record I never said it wasn't a bug nor did I mention anything about BBRY's treatment of you or your complaint. What I said was that, for me, it added 2 more button presses to the process the being able to dial directly from the web page would and that I didn't find that overly annoying and then took exception to your assertion that everyone uses Yelp.

If you find the bug that significant and BBRY doesn't seem inclined to assist you with it then perhaps you should consider switching to a device that will more adequately suit your needs.

At any rate, I don't quite understand why taking two more steps to dial a phone number is cause for this much vitriole.. Perhaps I'm just not passionate about my inanimate electronics..
    10-10-13 12:04 PM
    Is copy and pasting really that big of a deal? Oh lawdy please help society...

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    BravoZuluDelta likes this.
    10-10-13 01:09 PM
65 123