I don't understand it either, but that's the reality. Blackberry needs to suck it up and keep up with the times.
    not trying to be disrespectful or start an argument but I don't think you know what you are talking about. keeping up with the times????? what are you trying to imply? the bb10 OS is a powerful, smooth and very efficient OS and it's definitely "keeping up", if not passing its competitors. it's by far the best multitasking OS and it's only going to get better and better. just look at 10.2. in just 7 months they have already added many more features to bb10.

if you were talking about apps when you said "Blackberry needs to suck it up and keep up with the times", then again I respectfully think you don't know what you are talking about. so you think it's there fault they don't have some of the big apps? you think they aren't doing anything to try to get these apps? perhaps you should do some searching and reading and figure out how apps are made for bb10 devices. it's the devs choice whether they want to make their app for bb10. BlackBerry even goes as far as to find out what they can do to help these devs including helping them with the maintenance of the apps on a regular basis. the offer the tools needed to make the app and when needed they even offer money to some of the devs. they do have many of the big name apps and yes they are still some big named apps that are not there yet like instagram, Netflix, ect. so I think you reply makes no sense.

Btw why is the Starbucks app so popular??? Starbucks??? really??? I don't get it but then again I'm not a fan of paying $15 for a fancy latte.

BlackBerry for life. Kick'n it with my Z10.
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    08-21-13 07:04 PM
    I find it odd that someone that considers a Starbucks app a deal breaker would consider a phone that isn't the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    It probably wasn't just that app but all of them. But put another way, compared to the operating system? That's an abstraction. What distinguishes a Z10 from most other phones?

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:18 PM
    to each their own I guess. I left blackberry for a moment because they didn't have an american express app or a sprint app. But I eventually came back because I like Blackberry that much. Some people just require certain apps
    anon(5928073) likes this.
    08-21-13 07:34 PM
    not trying to be disrespectful or start an argument but I don't think you know what you are talking about. keeping up with the times????? what are you trying to imply? the bb10 OS is a powerful, smooth and very efficient OS and it's definitely "keeping up", if not passing its competitors. it's by far the best multitasking OS and it's only going to get better and better. just look at 10.2. in just 7 months they have already added many more features to bb10.

if you were talking about apps when you said "Blackberry needs to suck it up and keep up with the times", then again I respectfully think you don't know what you are talking about. so you think it's there fault they don't have some of the big apps? you think they aren't doing anything to try to get these apps? perhaps you should do some searching and reading and figure out how apps are made for bb10 devices. it's the devs choice whether they want to make their app for bb10. BlackBerry even goes as far as to find out what they can do to help these devs including helping them with the maintenance of the apps on a regular basis. the offer the tools needed to make the app and when needed they even offer money to some of the devs. they do have many of the big name apps and yes they are still some big named apps that are not there yet like instagram, Netflix, ect. so I think you reply makes no sense.

Btw why is the Starbucks app so popular??? Starbucks??? really??? I don't get it but then again I'm not a fan of paying $15 for a fancy latte.

He's partly correct. I mean you might not be a fan, but the general public is and that is where BlackBerry is missing out.

There are threads all over the forum for this very subject, but there really is not an excuse as of now to not have these apps. It's the only thing holding the platform back.
    08-21-13 08:03 PM
    Obsession with Starbucks is pretty sad lol. Why do you need an app. There's Starbucks on every corner.

Posted via CB10
    AndreyLepher likes this.
    08-21-13 08:11 PM

1) virtually no one buys a phone for the OS.

2) people care if the apps they want are present.

3) If they aren't available they don't care why.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:15 PM
    Honestly, it's what people expect. If your gonna compete with Android and Apple and want to sway consumers, you have to have similar apps. I for one don't like Starbucks, but there are a lot of people that do . Yes, it may be a simple thing to some of us, but others expect it to be there. So I do agree Ben et all. It's a legit gripe. Bring the apps and the people will follow. It's a shame that apps that people want aren't here.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    08-21-13 08:24 PM
    1) virtually no one buys a phone for the OS.

2) people care if the apps they want are present.

3) If they aren't available they don't care why.

Posted via CB10
    ^ ^ ^ Dedo this ^^^

I would add:

A. People do buy a phone because of Brand recognition.

B. The apps someone might consider a deal breaker is ultimately a very personal choice.

Posted via CB10 | STL 100-3 | OS .1323 | by a Crackberry squircle addict
    08-21-13 08:32 PM
    The app situation is a legitimate argument. The CB crowd is not representative of smartphone users. My wife had a smartphone long before me, and all she does is make phone calls, text, fb, and surf the Internet. Email is a joke, she fetches her messages once a day. Complete opposite of me, who used the Web browser on a feature phone to check email once every 15 minutes till I got my BlackBerry last year. But clearly most people don't care about email, they don't care about the Hub, about peek and flow, about security, etc. They care about apps and games. And BlackBerry cannot pretend that the average user will stop being that way, and they need to reach them. It's easier to do market pull than than market push.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    08-21-13 08:36 PM
    I think lots of Crackberry people care about messaging power and they like access to a large app library as been shown by the heavy interest in side loading.

Posted via CB10 | STL 100-3 | OS .1323 | by a Crackberry squircle addict
    08-21-13 08:42 PM
    The app situation is a legitimate argument. The CB crowd is not representative of smartphone users. My wife had a smartphone long before me, and all she does is make phone calls, text, fb, and surf the Internet. Email is a joke, she fetches her messages once a day. Complete opposite of me, who used the Web browser on a feature phone to check email once every 15 minutes till I got my BlackBerry last year. But clearly most people don't care about email, they don't care about the Hub, about peek and flow, about security, etc. They care about apps and games. And BlackBerry cannot pretend that the average user will stop being that way, and they need to reach them. It's easier to do market pull than than market push.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I get about 150 emails a day. I find the Q10 good for replying to those emails. I prefer it due to the physical keyboard. I sort and file more emails than I reply to and the iPhone 5 is at least as good, possibly better than the Q10 for that in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:43 PM

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    I agree with you, but BlackBerry should not do this by forgetting that bb's are still a productivity tool. Maybe they should even consider producing ONE device like apple does and not several. Something like the torch would be nice. It would have large screen and physical keyboard, this step would reduce their development, production and logistics costs. But anything they do, should not be against their DNA (bes, security, productivity)

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:46 PM
    The tin Hortons app is better.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 08:57 PM
    Obsession with Starbucks is pretty sad lol. Why do you need an app. There's Starbucks on every corner.

Posted via CB10
    The obsession with Tim Hortons is just as bad and their stuff is utter shyte (yeah I'm Canadian, but I know what real coffee is and how to brew it. Make yourself a pour over and you'll never have Timmys again). And they have an app.

It's about projecting your identity to others with a brand. Pretty sad and shallow that we have let products do that to ourselves as a society.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047 via CB10
    08-21-13 09:03 PM
    Maan, Starbucks coffee sucks...
    Go to Europe and get a double shot espresso and watch yourself hyper all day.
    And you talking about Starbucks app?

I am goofing around but what I am trying to say is if you like Starbucks - buy iPhone.
    If you have a taste, buy BB10

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by djsvetljo; 08-22-13 at 07:07 AM.
    barbas79 and Thrac Dark like this.
    08-21-13 10:04 PM

I am goofing around but what I am trying to say is if you like Starbucks - buy iPhone.
    If you have a taste, buy BBOS

Posted via CB10
    Bb10*
    ;p

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-21-13 10:05 PM
    He's partly correct. I mean you might not be a fan, but the general public is and that is where BlackBerry is missing out.

There are threads all over the forum for this very subject, but there really is not an excuse as of now to not have these apps. It's the only thing holding the platform back.
    sure it would be great to have all the popular apps and you may think there is no excuse for BlackBerry not to have them but the bottom line is, it's not their decision. I bet they would want to have these apps obviously right? don't you think they have or are trying to get them? I mean they can offer to pay for the cost of making the app, pay for the continuous maintenance of the app and that still doesn't guarantee that they can get the app. look it's the chicken and the egg. devs won't build until BlackBerry becomes more popular and BlackBerry won't get more popular if they don't have these apps.
    I'm a very loyal BlackBerry user and am loving my Z10 and will be getting the Z30 when it drops. I have no need for a Starbucks app at all am to be honest I had no clue it was so popular but I hope they get it for all of those who want it. I feel that way for every app that people want that I don't care about. the more that are happy with the app availability, the better. it's a shame that many people won't cone to BlackBerry because of the app selection. I believe that may be the #1 reason given to why people would not get a BlackBerry. I just don't think it's all BlackBerry fault. I doubt the are sitting back doing nothing.

Speedygi likes this.
    08-21-13 10:09 PM

If you have a taste, buy BBOS

Posted via CB10
    I can walk to the closest Starbucks. Europe is a bit farther. Especially since I can't even stop in London because their best coffee is Starbucks. I would have to go to France which is an even longer and damper walk.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by GadgetTravel; 08-21-13 at 10:46 PM.
    ekv likes this.
    08-21-13 10:19 PM
    So who here is going to make a Starbucks app?
    in_loco_nomen and Joel Diplan like this.
    08-21-13 10:25 PM
    Bux and Voxer would sway about 10 people I know to BB10... It's reality.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 11:26 PM
    Sorry, but that's hogwash and sounds like a pretty standard CB excuse for BlackBerry's failure to provide apps.

Apps that make everyday life simpler and honestly more fun are what make smartphones wonderful for most people. BlackBerry used to have a monumental advantage in communication: email was superior, BBM was second to none. But now all that stuff is basic. The real noticeable differentiation is gone. Any smartphone can do it. BBM may be better than WhatsApp. BlackBerry email may be a better than iPhone email (although I'm not so sure), but people don't care. They don't see the nuanced differences.

All people know is that with their iPhone they can email, they can instant message all their friends (since all their friend are on WhatsApp), they can surf the web pretty well AND they can pre-order a double half caf decaff soy latte!

Frankly, I don't blame them.
    Plus these people probably came from iPhones as their first smartphone so they never knew about BBM all along...

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 12:33 AM
    It was a bit more simple for me. I would always lose the Starbucks cards, once I remember losing one with like $35 dollars on it. Now I don't have to worry about it since I use the app. And every 15 purchase I get a free item. Easier to deal with and it saves me a bit of money. Not sure what about swipe gestures I should care about.
    Know what else saves a bit of money? making your own coffee.
    todbanner likes this.
    08-22-13 02:56 AM
    sure it would be great to have all the popular apps and you may think there is no excuse for BlackBerry not to have them but the bottom line is, it's not their decision. I bet they would want to have these apps obviously right? don't you think they have or are trying to get them? I mean they can offer to pay for the cost of making the app, pay for the continuous maintenance of the app and that still doesn't guarantee that they can get the app. look it's the chicken and the egg. devs won't build until BlackBerry becomes more popular and BlackBerry won't get more popular if they don't have these apps.
    I'm a very loyal BlackBerry user and am loving my Z10 and will be getting the Z30 when it drops. I have no need for a Starbucks app at all am to be honest I had no clue it was so popular but I hope they get it for all of those who want it. I feel that way for every app that people want that I don't care about. the more that are happy with the app availability, the better. it's a shame that many people won't cone to BlackBerry because of the app selection. I believe that may be the #1 reason given to why people would not get a BlackBerry. I just don't think it's all BlackBerry fault. I doubt the are sitting back doing nothing.

Thanks for the reply, never said it was BlackBerry itself that was the issue. It's just hard to know that this is what it boils down to. Their situation just doesn't cut it.
    08-22-13 03:21 AM
    This discussion isn't about Starbucks. This is about X App that BlackBerry doesn't have and the other major platforms do. Where X App is the one you really like/love/need.

Posted via CB10
    08-22-13 07:18 AM
    Just goes to show you how important social apps are. We need Starbucks, Netflix, Vine, Instagram and others to compete for the general audience and not the savvy intellectual type. Then will have the best of both worlds and can compete with Apple, Android, and WP for who has the best phone with multitasking and such and that's BB10! Get those apps and then people will figure what's underneath the skin and the phone will fly off the shelf. We can't rely on BBM and PIN alone. To survive you need those apps whether you like it or not!
    08-22-13 07:27 AM
214 1234 ...