Okay so I love my Z10 and I've shown it off to dozens of people who think it's really cool, at first.

After a few oohs and ahhs I've almost always been asked, so is there a starbucks app? I say no and their mood suddenly changes to 'oh', and stop being interested in the phone.

Wow, so forget about all the reasons BlackBerry is in trouble. It's actually due to no Starbucks app! Who would have thought..
    08-21-13 04:20 PM
    Different people have different priorities, needs and wants.

Keeps the world interesting!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 04:27 PM
    Okay so I love my Z10 and I've shown it off to dozens of people who think it's really cool, at first.

After a few oohs and ahhs I've almost always been asked, so is there a starbucks app? I say no and their mood suddenly changes to 'oh', and stop being interested in the phone.

Wow, so forget about all the reasons BlackBerry is in trouble. It's actually due to no Starbucks app! Who would have thought..
    My brother made the switch back to BB from iPhone when the Q came out. I asked him if he liked it. His response: "It's okay, but I really miss the Starbucks app."
    08-21-13 04:27 PM
    Man, I'm so disappointed with the general population of smartphone owners. How on earth did this people get by before 2008?

I can't believe people base a 2-3 year contract, or an outright $700-$800 purchase, on a handful of disposable little apps. It's like deciding to by a car with 300,000km on it because it has a cool racing stripe.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 04:28 PM
    Man, I'm so disappointed with the general population of smartphone owners. How on earth did this people get by before 2008?

I can't believe people base a 2-3 year contract, or an outright $700-$800 purchase, on a handful of disposable little apps. It's like deciding to by a car with 300,000km on it because it has a cool racing stripe.

Posted via CB10
    Don't agree with the analogy. Apps make what I do more convenient. Devil's advocate: Why would someone spend their money purchasing a product that isn't widely supported?

First class apps are vastly more important then the phones operating system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4
    08-21-13 04:36 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorry, but that's hogwash and sounds like a pretty standard CB excuse for BlackBerry's failure to provide apps.

Apps that make everyday life simpler and honestly more fun are what make smartphones wonderful for most people. BlackBerry used to have a monumental advantage in communication: email was superior, BBM was second to none. But now all that stuff is basic. The real noticeable differentiation is gone. Any smartphone can do it. BBM may be better than WhatsApp. BlackBerry email may be a better than iPhone email (although I'm not so sure), but people don't care. They don't see the nuanced differences.

All people know is that with their iPhone they can email, they can instant message all their friends (since all their friend are on WhatsApp), they can surf the web pretty well AND they can pre-order a double half caf decaff soy latte!

Frankly, I don't blame them.
    08-21-13 04:41 PM
    Don't agree with the analogy. Apps make what I do more convenient. Why would someone spend purchasing a product that isn't widely supported.

First class apps are vastly more important then the phones operating system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk 4
    This is about as precise a description of the situation as I have seen written. People only see the OS when it messes up. They see the apps when they use it. If I go into a store and I see two products that cost about the same and one does what I want to do and the other doesn't which one will I buy?
    08-21-13 04:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand it either, but that's the reality. Blackberry needs to suck it up and keep up with the times.
    08-21-13 04:46 PM
    Wow, so forget about all the reasons BlackBerry is in trouble. It's actually due to no Starbucks app!
    Hipsters can't relate to swipe gestures and no home button.
    eninrebmun likes this.
    08-21-13 04:46 PM
    It was a bit more simple for me. I would always lose the Starbucks cards, once I remember losing one with like $35 dollars on it. Now I don't have to worry about it since I use the app. And every 15 purchase I get a free item. Easier to deal with and it saves me a bit of money. Not sure what about swipe gestures I should care about.
    08-21-13 05:53 PM
    I would love it if Starbucks released a BB10 app, but it doesn't look like they will bother. So I've rediscovered Second Cup. They don't have any mobile apps, and that's just fine with me.

But Starbucks has a suggestions and ideas page - you can always write them requesting a BB10 app.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 06:07 PM
    Why would you want a starbucks app?
    Thrac Dark likes this.
    08-21-13 06:18 PM
    Why would you want a starbucks app?
    I go there frequently and it allows me to use my phone to make purchases. It also counts how many purchases I make and gives me a free item every 15 purchases. It is faster than cash.
    08-21-13 06:21 PM
    ahh cool, just figured it was going to be a glorified menu or something
    08-21-13 06:23 PM
    ahh cool, just figured it was going to be a glorified menu or something
    It has a fair amount of function. It lets you store bar codes representing cards to use for purchase. For instance I got a couple gift cards from Starbucks last Christmas. I can go online and add the serial numbers to my account then use them to purchase using my phone and it deducts from the account balance. I can also add to the account balance with cash in the store when I run low. Then there is the regular use free items plus they give you free stuff on your birthday and a few other times. It also has a store locator linked to the GPS so it is nice when traveling.
    08-21-13 06:30 PM
    I've posted and upvoted on mystarbucksidea.com many times, and involved myself in every thread here I have seen. And of course, written to them. The people on mystarbucksidea seem to feel that you are trying to kill their pets at the mere mention of BlackBerry, and will downvote your idea and paste links about how BlackBerry is dead. So prepare yourself for that; if you have a Starbucks account, which I assume you must if you're posting this, go there and use those credentials to log in. Seriously, log in and search BlackBerry and look at the venom. It's insane.

I finally gave up. I am about 4 months in to my Starbucks boycott and honestly don't miss them a bit. They are so balls deep in Apple it isn't even funny. Those iTunes cards all over the lobby? Yea.

They'd ignore Android too if they thought they could get away with it, and in fact did. Android got far too big to ignore and they finally caved.

Starbucks can suck it. It would take very little effort of their part to throw us a bone/rickety android port. but no. So forget them. I only went there because it was convenient, but the coffee is (semi) consistently mediocre at best and overpriced.

I live in the Pacific Northwest (US) and have decided Dutch Bros is a far far better coffee. Also add shots (which taste better anyway) are only 25�... as opposed to 65� (maybe more now).
    kthhrrsn and leejayh like this.
    08-21-13 06:30 PM
    I would always lose the Starbucks cards, once I remember losing one with like $35 dollars on it. Now I don't have to worry about it since I use the app..
    I don't worry about losing my cards either. I register them.
    08-21-13 06:36 PM
    Jeez. You'd think BlackBerry would be the hipster device of choice, since it's so uncool. I go to Seattle and Portland often, so believe me, I see more than my fair share of hipsters. I just don't understand them.
    08-21-13 06:38 PM
    I don't worry about losing my cards either. I register them.
    Yes, well you are more organized than I but I am striving to improve!

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 06:38 PM
    I find it odd that someone that considers a Starbucks app a deal breaker would consider a phone that isn't the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 06:43 PM
    Blah ,Starbucks is capitalisms best friend, never understood the fascination. It's like crack to these people, jeez slow down on the caffeine, maybe get some natural energy?

Z10? Why yes it is.
    08-21-13 06:45 PM
    I just don't understand them.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047 via CB10
    eninrebmun and ALToronto like this.
    08-21-13 06:50 PM
    Let me guess...telling your friends that they shouldn't really want a Starbucks app didn't sway them. Strange. That's what usually works here. Someone posts that they want a particular app and people respond by telling them they don't need it. Also, did you tell your friends that it's not Blackberry's fault?
    Etios, trwrt, Icarus3000 and 2 others like this.
    08-21-13 07:01 PM
    I find it odd that someone that considers a Starbucks app a deal breaker would consider a phone that isn't the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    I think you win the thread.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.0.1047 via CB10
    Haha. If you ever make it to Portland, try the game "Hipster or Homeless?" is a lot more challenging than you think. Not as tough in Seattle, but Portland is a lot trickier for whatever reason.
    djdragon likes this.
    08-21-13 07:01 PM
    Too complicated for them. =0)

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 07:03 PM
214 123 ...