Hello,

I've rented a 2020 Nissan Maxima for a week while I am out of town for a quick trip.

I am having difficulty connecting to their system via bluetooth and even the USB cable. The only thing I am wanting to do is make and receive calls.

I've tried resetting my Blackberry Passport on the latest OS. It seems that my Bluetooth can't find the Nissan Maxima signal.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    07-23-20 03:03 PM
    Are other phones able to connect to this Maxima without any issues?
    07-23-20 03:33 PM
    Might try deleting any other Bluetooth Pairings already on the car.... (and make sure IF you pair your phone book... that you delete it afterwards).

Then make sure both are in discoverable mode...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-23-20 03:39 PM
    Are other phones able to connect to this Maxima without any issues?

It's only my father and I on this trip. He has a Alcatel Go Flip phone. I believe it may have Bluetooth and I will try it.

So just a couple of old school tech cats trying to make our way in a 2020 world.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-23-20 03:42 PM
    BT tech hasn't changed that much over the years since the Passport came out so I'm not sure why it wouldn't connect. hope you can get it figured out, OP.
    07-23-20 07:08 PM
    Hello,

I've rented a 2020 Nissan Maxima for a week while I am out of town for a quick trip.

I am having difficulty connecting to their system via bluetooth and even the USB cable. The only thing I am wanting to do is make and receive calls.

I've tried resetting my Blackberry Passport on the latest OS. It seems that my Bluetooth can't find the Nissan Maxima signal.

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    It's only my father and I on this trip. He has a Alcatel Go Flip phone. I believe it may have Bluetooth and I will try it.

So just a couple of old school tech cats trying to make our way in a 2020 world.

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Nice ride and more importantly, enjoy time with your Dad now. In summer of 1992, my Dad and I traveled to Southern California from humid Florida on business twice. In 2002, my Dad asked me to do it again but I couldn’t go right then. He came back two weeks later and died a month later from health complications. The biggest regret of my life....
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-24-20 06:11 AM
    BT tech hasn't changed that much over the years since the Passport came out so I'm not sure why it wouldn't connect. hope you can get it figured out, OP.
    it's up to individual auto makers to IMPLEMENT BlueTooth properly, so even if the spec has only increased one major revision (4.0 to 5.0, with a few steps along the way), that is unfortunately not always enough to ensure compatibility - implementations vary, and that's why lots of testing and fine-tuning of code is necessary. Unfortunately, the chances that they used a Passport in testing is virtually non-existent, so there very well could be an incompatibility even though on paper it should work.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-24-20 04:31 PM
    it's up to individual auto makers to IMPLEMENT BlueTooth properly, so even if the spec has only increased one major revision (4.0 to 5.0, with a few steps along the way), that is unfortunately not always enough to ensure compatibility - implementations vary, and that's why lots of testing and fine-tuning of code is necessary. Unfortunately, the chances that they used a Passport in testing is virtually non-existent, so there very well could be an incompatibility even though on paper it should work.

Yeah was hoping other 2020 Nissan owners using a BB10 device would have posted a "works fine with my Maxima".... or some tips on what it takes.

Using BB10 back five years ago with a car from that time period was hit and miss for many....
    07-27-20 08:19 AM
    Yeah was hoping other 2020 Nissan owners using a BB10 device would have posted a "works fine with my Maxima".... or some tips on what it takes.

Using BB10 back five years ago with a car from that time period was hit and miss for many....
    Usually we see more posts about a newer phone not working with an older car, rather than an older phone not working with a newer car. Obviously most people replace their phones sooner than they replace their cars, but rental cars are almost always late models.
    07-27-20 10:15 AM
    Usually we see more posts about a newer phone not working with an older car, rather than an older phone not working with a newer car. Obviously most people replace their phones sooner than they replace their cars, but rental cars are almost always late models.

Rental companies are one reason QNX and the Auto industry are seeing such a big decline in orders. As they generally turn over most their fleets on almost a yearly basis, it's something like 90%. In the USA that almost 2 Million cars and Trucks a year - a big chunk of the market

But this year, most those rental companies had to sell a big chuck of their fleets to adjust to low demand of COVID... and have no plans for expanding their fleets anytime soon. Hertz just fill Chapter 11.

But if I rented a car today... I'd expect it to be 2020 or 2019, maybe a 2018.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-27-20 11:20 AM
    Hello,

Many thanks!

Posted via CB10
    Make sure not only your bluetooth is on, but that the device is discoverable is checked when pairing (on the BlackBerry)
    Also make sure you didn't disable some or all of the details of a paired vehicle in the device list (BlackBerry Bluetooth settings). Not sure if a previous pairing that was set to "Set my car" might interfere with a new pairing. You might want to set that to the Nissan while renting (Blackberry Bluetooth settings).

I'm guessing your trip is over and the car was returned. Did you ever get it to work properly? I had a variety of rentals

GM,Chrysler,VW,Honda,Toyota,Kia possibly a Ford or two in there as well (both passenger cars, and cargo trucks (Chrysler/Ford)) etc. Each one a little different. Some with smartscreens, and the cargo trucks without). A few times the maximum number of devices were already configured for the car. So you go into the bluetooth configuration on the car and delete a bunch or all. Then pair the blackberry from the bluetooth pairing screens of both the car and Blackberry.
    Some cars were pickier than others. I think i had to have the mobile network enabled on the blackberry, on one or more vehicles before pairing, i forget which or it was a happy coincidence. Somewhere I think I remember seeing that the bluetooth can be locked from the auto - not allowing you to pair - but can't recall. Sometimes the menus were a bit confusing and convoluted (if I remember VW and maybe Toyota were odd to me, GM was more straight forward). One vehicle in particular was stubbornly causing me a problem to pair, but it eventually did (after maybe 15 minutes or so of running through the menus, though I don't remember which).
    Did you get it to pair, and then the pairing would drop? Did you start the bluetooth pairing from both the car and the blackberry. You have to enable the car to search for a new device of course (which can time-out, then you retry pairing on both devices). You can also tell the car to make the blackberry the default bluetooth device, once paired. Sometimes the first connection had to be attempted several times, but after that it would connect reliably. I can't imagine the Nissan wouldn't work as well as the rest with the BlackBerry 10 device.
    07-31-20 01:15 AM