I lost my iPhone at a foam party yesterday, and attempted to use Find My iPhone to find it, which was a waste of time, because the device was offline. It's probably already been wiped (activation lock doesn't work on iOS 6), and set up and resold (albeit with a barred IMEI), assuming it wasn't broken from either foam liquid ingress or smashed to bits by the weight of pissed clubbers dancing on it.

Well, I sure as hell hope that BlackBerry Protect's activation lock is better than iOS.

Okay where do I start?

Let's start with the downgrade issue. The iPhone in question was downgraded from iOS 7 back to 6 by me which (unknowingly to me) has clearly defeated activation lock.
    On a BlackBerry 10, assuming that my device was lost and had activation lock enabled, similarly couldn't a thief just downgrade / reload the device software to an older version and completely bypass activation lock?

Next, what if location services were disabled? Will using BlackBerry Protect force location services enabled for the duration of the session? Another iOS shortcoming, if location services is disabled, you can't use Find My iPhone.
    (If this doesn't already happen, then BlackBerry really need to implement this!)

I don't usually use a password on my phone except when I'm clubbing. In the instance above, I forgot to set one.
    Now, if my BlackBerry 10 phone was lost, and didn't have a password set, can I force a password remotely?

Assume the thief attempts to wipe the device or reload device software, what happens then? Can I still show a message on the activation screen with contact details?

Lastly, if I had the IMEI barred, and the thief wipes the device, bypasses activation lock by downgrading the OS, because the device requires a SIM card to activate, would the device still be unusable?

Finally, when these 'lost device' utilities fail to contact the device or the device goes off the radar for more than 4 hours, then I simply call the carrier and request to have the IMEI barred, and the SIM also gets disabled. At this point there's no going back.

Sorry for the long message, as I frequent nightclubs, I don't want a repeat of this with my BlackBerry!!
    10-02-15 09:16 PM
    The biggest thing is that 10.3.2 (which brings all of the new BlackBerry protect features) prevents downgrading to any OS prior to 10.3.2. Hence, one cannot reload to circumvent the anti-theft.
    10-02-15 09:23 PM
    The biggest thing is that 10.3.2 (which brings all of the new BlackBerry protect features) prevents downgrading to any OS prior to 10.3.2. Hence, one cannot reload to circumvent the anti-theft.
    Not even if you used that Sanchesi tool, or other third party device tools?
    Or couldn't you just use a 10.3.1 or below 'autoloader'?
    10-02-15 09:24 PM
    Let's start with the downgrade issue. The iPhone in question was downgraded from iOS 7 back to 6 by me which (unknowingly to me) has clearly defeated activation lock.
    On a BlackBerry 10, assuming that my device was lost and had activation lock enabled, similarly couldn't a thief just downgrade / reload the device software to an older version and completely bypass activation lock?
    Nope.. can't downgrade from 10.3.2 and it goes by your BBID, so even if you do manage to get it downgraded, the server side still requores the BBID.

Next, what if location services were disabled? Will using BlackBerry Protect force location services enabled for the duration of the session? Another iOS shortcoming, if location services is disabled, you can't use Find My iPhone.
    (If this doesn't already happen, then BlackBerry really need to implement this!)
    Well, if location services are disabled then you'd get no tracking off of it but in order to disable location services the device would have to be unlocked / not password protected anyway and if you really care about your device that much you wouldn't use it being unlocked or not password protected. Also keep in mind, you can lock it from the Protect site.

I don't usually use a password on my phone except when I'm clubbing. In the instance above, I forgot to set one.
    Now, if my BlackBerry 10 phone was lost, and didn't have a password set, can I force a password remotely?

Assume the thief attempts to wipe the device or reload device software, what happens then? Can I still show a message on the activation screen with contact details?
    See above. You can lock from site and set message. If they wipe it, that stuff will be gone but it doesn't matter.. they can't login. They need your BBID.

The rest of your questions are pretty much asking the same thing over and over in different ways. tl;dr: Wiping will serve them no purpose as they still need to verify the BBID. Worst case, you'll still be out a device but you can take some satisfaction in knowing its pretty much useless to them as well and will likely end up in a trash bin.

Red more: http://help.blackberry.com/en/blackb...391581862.html
    10-02-15 09:28 PM
    Not even if you used that Sanchesi tool, or other third party device tools?
    Or couldn't you just use a 10.3.1 or below 'autoloader'?
    No.
    No.
    10-02-15 09:32 PM
    Hmm...
    OS Blocklist:
    range: From 10.3.1.0 DEV To 10.3.1.8191 DEV
    type: SFI
    range: From 10.3.0.0 DEV To 10.3.0.8191 DEV
    range: From 10.2.1.0 DEV To 10.2.1.8191 DEV
    So 10.2.2 is loaded fine?
    Yes thanks!
    This topic says you can... but it must be a specific version. Still rather worrying.
    10-02-15 09:35 PM
    I strongly advise you to use a pass code on your phone. I lost my phone recently and someone picked it up an took it home. Since it was on and locked with the pass code, and being a BlackBerry, the person who found it didn't know how to use it and just left it turned on.

To make a long story short, I was able to locate the phone and get it back. BlackBerry OS 10.3.2 has anti-theft provisions built into it (and you cannot install an earlier version). Because of this I was able to tell people that the phone was locked and couldn't be used by anyone else.

Yes, you can wipe the device, display a message, play a sound, etc. See: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Protect
    10-02-15 09:43 PM
    Hmm...

This topic says you can... but it must be a specific version. Still rather worrying.
    That's true for exactly one version of 10.3.2, which you should not be running.

10.3.2.680 and up (i.e. anything officially released) have a blacklist like this:

OS Block list for this is... OS 0.0.0.0 to 10.3.2.658

Looks like there's no going back. Not to 10.3.2.500, not to 10.2.2 either.
    10-02-15 09:43 PM
    The rest of your questions are pretty much asking the same thing over and over in different ways. tl;dr: Wiping will serve them no purpose as they still need to verify the BBID. Worst case, you'll still be out a device but you can take some satisfaction in knowing its pretty much useless to them as well and will likely end up in a trash bin.
    Sorry if it feels like this, I just wanted to cover as many scenario as I could think.
    I strongly advise you to use a pass code on your phone. I lost my phone recently and someone picked it up an took it home. Since it was on and locked with the pass code, and being a BlackBerry, the person who found it didn't know how to use it and just left it turned on.

To make a long story short, I was able to locate the phone and get it back. BlackBerry OS 10.3.2 has anti-theft provisions built into it (and you cannot install an earlier version). Because of this I was able to tell people that the phone was locked and couldn't be used by anyone else.

Yes, you can wipe the device, display a message, play a sound, etc. See: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Protect
    Yes, when I go clubbing, I normally do set a password at the beginning of the night. In the instance at the top of the thread, the one night I forgot to, how typical for this kinda thing to happen.
    That's true for exactly one version of 10.3.2, which you should not be running.

10.3.2.680 and up (i.e. anything officially released) have a blacklist like this:
    Yeah I was wondering that too, why didn't they just do < 10.3.2.658, but it seems they have with the release version.
    Anyway I think we've pretty much covered everything about what BlackBerry Protect and activation lock can do, thanks for all the responses guys.

In other news, the nightclub couldn't find my iPhone so I've had to report it as stolen, and will be replacing (iPhone's primary use was for music in my car) it very soon. My Z10 remains my everyday phone, and it might even go clubbing with me until I get the iPhone replaced.
    10-03-15 11:45 AM