I am coming to BB from a dumphone. I currently have a Verizon (CDMA) dumphone, but need a global-ready GSM phone, preferrably one that also works CDMA so I can stay on Verizon in the United States (GSM service where I live is problematic, which is why I prefer to stay with CDMA in the U.S.)

It was suggested in another post that I get a BB10 phone because I don't need BIS and can also get 3G speeds that, say, a Bold 9930 could not get in many countries. What is BIS and how does it work?

My current dumphone still has a QWERTY keyboard, which I love for texting, so I am leaning towards a smartphone with a QWERTY keyboard.

Also, it would be nice to have a small phone. I like being able to put the phone in the pocket of my pants or shirt and not have to carry a holster, but the trend has been towards ever larger phones, it seems. I fully realize that with a QWERTY keyboard and small size, means a small screen, but that is fine as my main reasons for using the phone are calls, texting, perhaps sending images, and maybe emails, with occasional Internet surfing to check on things. In short, I need a phone that is all business almost all the time.

Lastly, it would be nice to get a break-resistant phone. My current side flip/top flip phone is virtually indestructable: I've dropped it, had a car run over it, spilled water on it, etc. and it keeps on working. All are reasons why I've kept it so long, but it is time to move on to something more useful and "international."

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    02-11-14 03:57 AM
    For QWERTY, go for Q5 as entry phone.
    Or go for all touch Z10 for value of money. Full features and cheap price from reduction due to over production. Z10 has a weak battery though, so you probably must invest in a separate power bank for added juice.
    I personally recommend Z10 because it's cheaper and you get more feature like mini hdmi out, better quality material and bigger screen real estate. With BB10 vitual keyboard, you should be not missing QWERTY much. In fact I now prefer BB10 virtual keyboard. It's that good. But again depends on each preference.

Either way, you should be well satisfied with BlackBerry 10. Both have good build quality that's realtively tougher and more durable than many other brand but just in case, invest in a good case for extra protection.

Hammered out from Z-thirty
    02-11-14 04:05 AM