Is there an possibility to change the os to bb10 os?

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 04:47 PM
    That would be awesome, great!!!!

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 04:49 PM
    Why is that not possible? Does anyone know how to do that.. I cannot imagine that one Wil android on BlackBerry. Why? It's stupid

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 04:59 PM
    Lack of support for new hardware in BB10 and no one will be writing new drivers.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-17 05:31 PM
    No, it's not possible.

BB10 development ended 2 years ago. BB10 was never converted to 64-bit (all but a few low-end SoCs are 64-bit these days, and RAM sizes also require it), so that would be a mega investment right there (a team of 1000 people working on it for 18 months or so), plus having to pay for drivers for that new hardware, etc. And who would pay for the $1B or so it would cost just for that alone? (Answer: no one, which is why BB10 development ended 2 years ago.)
    03-19-17 09:04 PM
    Good for just imagine. Have a sweet dream.
    03-19-17 11:07 PM
    03-19-17 11:08 PM
    x2

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2205
    03-20-17 12:13 AM
    Of course it is possible. There is no technical hurdle here. The only issue is money. If you throw enough money at BlackBerry, they will be sure to get the deal done.
    I doubt anyone will come up with the $$$ though. Don't get your hopes up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-20-17 12:31 AM
    And no one even mentions the bootloader... I mean: money and driver hurdles aside: even if there was a slight chance of BB10 being compatible, how are you gonna crack the secured bootloader? It's more secured than on other devices as it's signed by BlackBerry so good lucking cracking that.

Posted via CB10 using my amazing  Passport (OG Red)
    03-20-17 12:51 AM
    No, it's not possible.

BB10 development ended 2 years ago. BB10 was never converted to 64-bit (all but a few low-end SoCs are 64-bit these days, and RAM sizes also require it), so that would be a mega investment right there (a team of 1000 people working on it for 18 months or so), plus having to pay for drivers for that new hardware, etc. And who would pay for the $1B or so it would cost just for that alone? (Answer: no one, which is why BB10 development ended 2 years ago.)
    Please clarify that. In general you can run 32-bit OS on 64-bit CPU. Windows has been doing this for a while. The other issue is what QNX can handle (and hence BB10). The limit seems to be imposed by hardware, not the OS. Check QNX's web site for details, ARMv7 lets you have 4GB maximum, but you can get 64 GB under Intel. The limitation seems to be that QNX at 32-bit allows 4GB per process, but the total accessible physical memory space can be much, much larger.
    Regardless, with QNX going 64-bit, the bulk of the work is already going to have to be done.

The second one, I keep hearing about paying for drivers and such. Where does this come from? I've worked in the semiconductor industry for many, many years. I've never heard of this. I've been on both ends of the business. When a customer buys a chip, they get the full datasheet. If you want the drivers, you have the info needed to roll your own. I'm sure QNX has the expertise to do this. Some chip manufacturers will provide drivers for some devices in order to speed their customers time to market or try to gain marketshare, but in this case it is usually "free". Yes, if you don't want to do your own, they will happily take money to do it for you. But believe it or not, when doing drivers, knowledge about the OS is the harder part of the task. Dealing with the specs of a new part is "routine". As in, the best guys for the job are the QNX guys, not the chip guys.

As for the claim it would take 1000 people and $1billion? I really question this. I have developed handheld device, had to customize OS and drivers to run on it. We did not require anywhere near that, not even close. I am currently working on chips, delivering full silicon devices, with hardware & firmware teams, we do not have that many people or that much money to deliver that either. Our fastest and most ridiculously large and complex devices did not require even a fifth as many engineers and nowhere near that kind of money.

Check your numbers. between 2009 and 2016, it looks like BlackBerry recorded a peak of about $1.5billion in R&D expenditure in 2012. That's R&D for EVERYTHING, including, at the time, developing Q10 and Z10. Apple, despite laptops, desktops, OS, phones, tablets, TV, etc only recorded $4-5billion.

rarsen and Vistaus like this.
    03-20-17 01:15 AM
    Good one OP
    #bestbb10jokes

Posted via CB10
    Carjackd likes this.
    03-20-17 04:48 AM
    Possible or not, it would be nice!
    03-20-17 05:08 AM
    Ditto

 Passport SE SQW100-4 with Vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS Version) 10.3.2.2876 on AT&T
    03-20-17 05:18 AM
    How many millions you got? You can get anything you want, for the right price!

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    03-20-17 05:25 AM
    Please clarify that. In general you can run 32-bit OS on 64-bit CPU. Windows has been doing this for a while. The other issue is what QNX can handle (and hence BB10). The limit seems to be imposed by hardware, not the OS. Check QNX's web site for details, ARMv7 lets you have 4GB maximum, but you can get 64 GB under Intel. The limitation seems to be that QNX at 32-bit allows 4GB per process, but the total accessible physical memory space can be much, much larger.
    Regardless, with QNX going 64-bit, the bulk of the work is already going to have to be done.

The second one, I keep hearing about paying for drivers and such. Where does this come from? I've worked in the semiconductor industry for many, many years. I've never heard of this. I've been on both ends of the business. When a customer buys a chip, they get the full datasheet. If you want the drivers, you have the info needed to roll your own. I'm sure QNX has the expertise to do this. Some chip manufacturers will provide drivers for some devices in order to speed their customers time to market or try to gain marketshare, but in this case it is usually "free". Yes, if you don't want to do your own, they will happily take money to do it for you. But believe it or not, when doing drivers, knowledge about the OS is the harder part of the task. Dealing with the specs of a new part is "routine". As in, the best guys for the job are the QNX guys, not the chip guys.

As for the claim it would take 1000 people and $1billion? I really question this. I have developed handheld device, had to customize OS and drivers to run on it. We did not require anywhere near that, not even close. I am currently working on chips, delivering full silicon devices, with hardware & firmware teams, we do not have that many people or that much money to deliver that either. Our fastest and most ridiculously large and complex devices did not require even a fifth as many engineers and nowhere near that kind of money.

Check your numbers. between 2009 and 2016, it looks like BlackBerry recorded a peak of about $1.5billion in R&D expenditure in 2012. That's R&D for EVERYTHING, including, at the time, developing Q10 and Z10. Apple, despite laptops, desktops, OS, phones, tablets, TV, etc only recorded $4-5billion.

Thanks for your clarify! I'm thinking the same yoy said.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 06:57 AM
    You have to remember that once you start on a project such as 64-bit conversion, you have to deal with everything else too. New versions of QT. New developer tools. And on and on. There are lots of areas that have to be addressed - stuff I'm probably not even aware of, and remember too that BB currently has no team, so they'd also have the costs of standing one up. I doubt they could get any real work done for at least 6 months from the start of the hiring process. That costs money.

And regarding drivers, the SoCs are so complicated (because they do so much) that the OS manufacturers can't get OPTIMIZED drivers written within the timeframe that would make it business-viable - keep in mind that the smartphone industry is one of the fastest-pace areas of tech, which is fast in general. SoC makers provide (for free) Linux drivers (used for Android) because 98+% of their chips will get used in a device running a variant of Linux. Anyone else has to either write their own - and take the time to optimize it or suffer from performance and battery issues - or they have to pay the chip makers to do it for them, so they can get their products out to market before they're obsolete. And the chip manufacturers see that as a profit center, and they charge a lot for the service (why wouldn't they? It's not like you can go anywhere else.)

This was known to be a potential problem for BB10 since the beginning (it's also an issue for WinPhone, which is one of the reasons why Microsoft only supported a handful of specific SoCs with WinPhone), but Mike assumed he was going to sell 20M+ phones per year, and at that volume, driver cost wouldn't be a problem. When you're selling 3-4M phones a year, it's a big problem.
    ppeters914 and eshropshire like this.
    03-20-17 10:41 AM
    Please clarify that. In general you can run 32-bit OS on 64-bit CPU. Windows has been doing this for a while.
    Windows has to run a compatibility subsystem called WOW64 (Windows on Windows) in order for that to work.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-20-17 04:01 PM
    The second one, I keep hearing about paying for drivers and such. Where does this come from? I've worked in the semiconductor industry for many, many years. I've never heard of this...
    Chen said this himself during one of the shareholder conference calls a year or so back.

Tony mentioned this, but basically, BlackBerry had to pay Qualcomm for custom drivers to run BB10 on their SoCs.

Ever wonder why every BB10 phone runs on the same basic Qualcomm SD S4 family? Cost of those drivers. The Passport was the last new one with the SD 801.

Take that for what it's worth.

Joel
    03-20-17 05:02 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    03-20-17 05:40 PM
    About as likely to happen as the PlayBook getting BB10 (or even Android), or BB10 devices getting Android.

Biggest hurdle is there is no incentive for BlackBerry to do it (good will doesn't pay bills), and dozens of reasons (not all listed here) for them not to do it. If you like BB10, you'll have to use it on the hardware that BlackBerry released it on.
    03-21-17 01:40 PM

You know what you say and question might be fair. But it is time to face facts (unless you are the US President) - it is not going to happen. Never, ever. BB lost million, perhaps billions on bb10. Even if BB decided to throw money at the problem who is going to develop apps for the bb10 OS? The same folks who did NOT develop apps for it while it was actually still potentially viable.

I still love my Z30 and I truly loved Blend (and Bridge before it) but really folks, when will the reality of the situation be accepted.

The whimsy of the constant "we want bb10" is beyond belief at this point. Use it in good health. Use it for as many years as it serves the purpose. But give up on it being reinvigorated.
    03-21-17 01:55 PM
    I still love my Z30 and I truly loved Blend (and Bridge before it) but really folks, when will the reality of the situation be accepted.
    Excellent question!
    FF22 likes this.
    03-21-17 06:08 PM
    About as likely to happen as the PlayBook getting BB10 (or even Android), or BB10 devices getting Android.

Well technically, A BB10 device did get Android on it if you can except that Passport version... So with that said and like you said, "Likely to happen"

The BB10 Reepah
    Last edited by Kryngle; 03-21-17 at 07:52 PM.
    03-21-17 07:37 PM
    Well technically, BB10 did get Android if you can except the Passport version... So with that said and like you said, "Likely to happen"
    The one phone you are talking about was an engineering prototype that was never supposed to leave the lab, and was almost certainly stolen - even if no one was left to notice due to all the staffing cuts. It certainly was never an official product.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-21-17 07:43 PM
36 12