According to an interview with the German online portal teltarif.de during the MWC in Barcelona, Alex Thurber, the SVP Mobility Solution from BlackBerry Ltd, promises an OS10 security update at the end of the year! And he promises that OS10-smartphones will be usable beyond the end of the year!

So far so good. But in the interview, only the Q10 is explicitly mentioned as the device that gets the benefit of the security update. Asked about this, the author of the article Henning Gajek confirmed that only the Q10 was mentioned, but he assumes that all other OS10 devices will also get an update. But we all know the guys from Waterloo. Especially when it comes to promises.

Source: https://www.teltarif.de/blackberry-a...ews/75801.html
    02-27-19 11:12 AM
    Interesting.

Will see where this goes...
    02-27-19 11:19 AM
    Hmm, now the convos become exciting.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-19 11:36 AM
    As far as I know, Chancellor Angela Merkel has a Q10, as well.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/06/...ines-security/

Posted via CB10
    02-27-19 12:43 PM
    As far as I know, Chancellor Angela Merkel has a Q10, as well.

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/06/...ines-security/

Posted via CB10
    That was 5 years ago.
    02-27-19 12:52 PM
    That was 5 years ago.
    She might still have this phone.

Remember the Chancellor got her Q10, as well as the rest of her Cabinet because of the NSA snooping on their conversations?

Posted via CB10
    02-27-19 12:58 PM
    She might still have this phone.

Remember the Chancellor got her Q10, as well as the rest of her Cabinet because of the NSA snooping on their conversations?

Posted via CB10
    Either way it was not a consumer-grade setup, and it also featured Secusmart - which is multi-platform.
    02-27-19 01:08 PM
    That's true. I still wonder if the Chancellor is still using her Q10??

Posted via CB10
    02-27-19 01:10 PM
    According to an interview with the German online portal teltarif.de during the MWC in Barcelona, Alex Thurber, the SVP Mobility Solution from BlackBerry Ltd, promises an OS10 security update at the end of the year! And he promises that OS10-smartphones will be usable beyond the end of the year!

So far so good. But in the interview, only the Q10 is explicitly mentioned as the device that gets the benefit of the security update. Asked about this, the author of the article Henning Gajek confirmed that only the Q10 was mentioned, but he assumes that all other OS10 devices will also get an update. But we all know the guys from Waterloo. Especially when it comes to promises.

Source: https://www.teltarif.de/blackberry-a...ews/75801.html
    Well well well, semi-official word from Blackberry of what we Blackberry 10 enthusiasts have been saying all along....further cementing arguments made concerning BB's official statement from December 2017 concerning the limited nature of the Blackberry World shutdown.

It's good to have further evidence one is correct in one's arguments.
    elfabio80 and bb9900user2018 like this.
    02-27-19 03:19 PM
    Well well well, semi-official word from Blackberry of what we Blackberry 10 enthusiasts have been saying all along....further cementing arguments made concerning BB's official statement from December 2017 concerning the limited nature of the Blackberry World shutdown.

It's good to have further evidence one is correct in one's arguments.
    That's what I was waiting on...

While this might lead to more optimism, I'd still suggest cautious optimism and wait for an official statement with a breakdown of just what will and what won't work starting Jan 1 of next year.
    ppeters914 and bb9900user2018 like this.
    02-27-19 03:32 PM
    Good post @Paulelmar18 !
    02-27-19 03:50 PM
    I like it, but I'm surprised!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-27-19 04:08 PM
    In my email conversations with Alex Thurber he has mentioned that BlackBerry 10 devices will continue their core functions going forward.

He did mention that certain functions and certain apps may stop working prior to the official EOL date.

Long story short, it does appear that for calls, texts, emails should continue for the foreseeable future. How much BBM on BlackBerry 10, the browser and some native apps like contacts, hub etc continue to function, I don't know.

Regardless I don't know how much much runway we have but I don't think we got another 5 years or anything like some people have thought.

Sooner or later the devices wear out and tech changes enough that certain things will just stop working.

Good luck to all BlackBerry 10 users! Myself included

Posted via CB10
    anon(10218918) and skrble like this.
    02-27-19 05:38 PM
    Great news!

Posted via CB10
    02-28-19 12:37 AM
    In my email conversations with Alex Thurber he has mentioned that BlackBerry 10 devices will continue their core functions going forward.

He did mention that certain functions and certain apps may stop working prior to the official EOL date.

Long story short, it does appear that for calls, texts, emails should continue for the foreseeable future. How much BBM on BlackBerry 10, the browser and some native apps like contacts, hub etc continue to function, I don't know.

Regardless I don't know how much much runway we have but I don't think we got another 5 years or anything like some people have thought.

Sooner or later the devices wear out and tech changes enough that certain things will just stop working.

Good luck to all BlackBerry 10 users! Myself included

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't worry too much about contacts and hub apps... don't think they require any BlackBerry Services.

Assistant, BBM, BlackBerry Maps, Weather, Link, Blend... those have "services" that would require BlackBerry to keep them feed with information... some of which they have to licences from others.

Core functionality... phone, email, text, clock, calculator, contacts... should work just fine.

Personally I kinda expect a last update (that's already been completed)... more to disable some features like Protect and BBW, along with those mentioned apps so they don't cause any issues or nag screens. But don't expect a browser fix or real improvements.

BB10 phones will work... but they'll be even less useful than they are right now, which is well below my threshold of what a "smarthphone" should be.

Maybe a new splash screen disclaimer... ."use at your own risk".
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-28-19 08:25 AM
    I wouldn't worry too much about contacts and hub apps... don't think they require any BlackBerry Services.

Assistant, BBM, BlackBerry Maps, Weather, Link, Blend... those have "services" that would require BlackBerry to keep them feed with information... some of which they have to licences from others.

Core functionality... phone, email, text, clock, calculator, contacts... should work just fine.

Personally I kinda expect a last update (that's already been completed)... more to disable some features like Protect and BBW, along with those mentioned apps so they don't cause any issues or nag screens. But don't expect a browser fix or real improvements.

BB10 phones will work... but they'll be even less useful than they are right now, which is well below my threshold of what a "smarthphone" should be.

Exactly. It won't help with apps, the runtime, or the decrepit browser.
    02-28-19 08:31 AM

A PDA with email.
    02-28-19 08:31 AM
    A PDA with email.
    AND phone functions.
    dmlis likes this.
    02-28-19 09:23 AM
    Remember when the PlayBook was supposed to get BB10 as well? Good times. I don't doubt they'll have another 'security update' to push out. It's the only way they can clean up the OS, removing what they'll be no longer supporting and leaving what will still be working in place. One issue I see however, is actually sending it out to all applicable devices. I suspect some folks will HAVE to use an autoloader if they want to actually obtain the update.
    john_v and ppeters914 like this.
    02-28-19 12:58 PM
    Remember when the PlayBook was supposed to get BB10 as well? Good times. I don't doubt they'll have another 'security update' to push out. It's the only way they can clean up the OS, removing what they'll be no longer supporting and leaving what will still be working in place. One issue I see however, is actually sending it out to all applicable devices. I suspect some folks will HAVE to use an autoloader if they want to actually obtain the update.
    what carrier would actually put any time into this at all?
    02-28-19 01:41 PM
    what carrier would actually put any time into this at all?
    Exactly. But to answer it more directly, I can see Canadian carriers taking part..but that's honestly about it.
    02-28-19 01:43 PM
    Who fixes the bugs the update brings.....
    02-28-19 02:27 PM
    Who fixes the bugs the update brings.....
    No one. It will be a bug-free update. Last one finally done. Drinks all around...

02-28-19 04:28 PM
    Really in the current state what they gana make as supposedly new update?(more bugs?)

Send by PassPort Silver Edition
    03-02-19 11:36 PM
    Hm. I guess this whole thread is based on this sentence:

Für den weit verbreiteten BlackBerry Q10 wird es "durchgehend" ("through") wichtige Sicherheitsupdates bis zum Ende Jahres 2019 geben.

1) «Verfasser» probably meant "BlackBerry 10", not Q10. That's clearly evident.
    2) that whole sentence sounds like a common PR ****. BB still "provides" security/maintenance updates until 2020. Yes, they MIGHT provide them but it does not mean that they do that at all. It would had to appear a MAJOR security flaw or issue to make them act. So all of this means that they'd do that, if anything occured till the end of 2019.

No update promised so far. I strongly encourage you to NOT to expect anything because nothing hasn't been promised at all.
    Last edited by skrble; 03-03-19 at 10:13 AM.
    jhimmel, ppeters914 and BigBadWulf like this.
    03-03-19 06:16 AM
77 123 ...