Hey CB'ers,

A few times a day I browse BlackBerry World to see what's going on in terms of new apps and/or games. I usually come across a few apps that I'd like to download, and, naturally, I read the reviews first.

On a lot of these app reviews, I'm constantly seeing people freaking out, saying:

'THIS APP ASKS FOR UNNECESSARY PERMISSIONS DO NOT DOWNLOAD"

And

'WHY DO YOU NEED SO MUCH ACCESS TO MY PHONE DELETING THIS APP'

I am coming across this more and more these days. Is this really THAT big of a deal? I have been deterred from downloading many apps because of this.

What's the deal?

Sent from the Cadillac of smartphones: my BlackBerry Q10.
    03-02-14 09:56 AM
    These are Android ported apps. With these Android ported apps, the developer cannot simply pick and choose which permissions are needed or not needed by the app and they have to request them all. You will simply be presented with a permission notice letting you know the app will have access to all permissions (files, contacts, etc). Whether or not the app uses those permissions is not known. So you may have an app that asks for all these permission but doesn't use them.
    gg bb likes this.
    03-02-14 10:01 AM
    Okay for most apps it's not bad but what about you download a flashlight app and they want access to your contacts and device info and camera. That's a bit much for a flashlight app they really only need the camera to invoke the flash. Then what about apps that are used for hiding files one of the ones I downloaded asked for internet and access to files and contacts. If I wanted to put private photos in. It. They could have taken them. that's not really safe is it? That's really the hype about the app permissions some of them are crazy some are fine

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    03-02-14 10:06 AM
    These are Android ported apps. With these Android ported apps, the developer cannot simply pick and choose which permissions are needed or not needed by the app and they have to request them all. You will simply be presented with a permission notice letting you know the app will have access to all permissions (files, contacts, etc). Whether or not the app uses those permissions is not known. So you may have an app that asks for all these permission but doesn't use them.
    Are you sure?

If the app is android ported - it is not redeveloped for BlackBerry but converted for BlackBerry - the permissions should be the same as the developer needed on Android.
    Its not unusual for apps to request access to upload your files to the internet. Crackberry app does this as it needs to allow you to upload attachments in the app.
    If a native BlackBerry developed app asks for permissions you suspect as more than required you can manually disable permissions you think are not required. You can try this with Crackberry app, disable file access and the only difference you will notice is inability to upload attachments from in app.

Issue which annoys - for android apps on BlackBerry 10 theres no facility to disable different access permissions. This is a characteristic of Android and one of the reasons some people here choose BlackBerry over Android.
    03-02-14 10:53 AM
    Are you sure?

If the app is android ported - it is not redeveloped for BlackBerry but converted for BlackBerry - the permissions should be the same as the developer needed on Android.
    Its not unusual for apps to request access to upload your files to the internet. Crackberry app does this as it needs to allow you to upload attachments in the app.
    If a native BlackBerry developed app asks for permissions you suspect as more than required you can manually disable permissions you think are not required. You can try this with Crackberry app, disable file access and the only difference you will notice is inability to upload attachments from in app.

Issue which annoys - for android apps on BlackBerry 10 theres no facility to disable different access permissions. This is a characteristic of Android and one of the reasons some people here choose BlackBerry over Android.
    This explains it pretty well. I don't know why all ported apps need access to contacts, location, device identifying information. BB definitely has to work on that, but I guess it's the price to pay to use those ported apps at this point in time.
    03-02-14 12:00 PM
    This explains it pretty well. I don't know why all ported apps need access to contacts, location, device identifying information. BB definitely has to work on that, but I guess it's the price to pay to use those ported apps at this point in time.
    It's the same permissions as the android version.... which 90% of the time, they ask for everything.

I used to think they ask for everything for BlackBerry but I recently purchased a Galaxy tablet, it just ask for everything and more on most apps.

Posted via CB10
    sk8er_tor likes this.
    03-02-14 12:12 PM
    Common sense usually prevails in most of these cases. Just look at the functionality of the app before jumping to conclusions. Yes there are many apps out there that are asking more than what's needed.

As one example I downloaded printHand. It's a ported android app on BlackBerry World. It asks for access to your contacts. Before actually using the app this would freak people out. Why does a print app need my contacts. It doesn't say in BlackBerry World description about contacts. After installing app and using it, I see that it can print my contacts. The contact access is pretty self explanatory after that.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-14 12:22 PM