Ok, I know from reading numerous posts that BB10 doesn't require BIS, however in my case I would like to maintain the same plan and simply upgrade my phone.

Don't laugh, but i have a 100mb monthly plan which covers all of my communication needs thanks to Blackberry's compression and BIS service. For emails, BBM, instant messaging, twitter and the odd website look up it fits my needs.

I'd like to continue using the same plan but upgrade my phone to BB10. Can I still use my BIS plan, and can I expect my data usage to be similar if I use the new BB10 in the same way as BB7? I'm currently with Virgin Mobile in Canada.
    09-24-13 12:10 PM
    The short answer is yes, you should be able to keep using your BIS plan. A BB10 device will not use the BIS compressed data channel, or get your mail from the BIS servers. The only benefit is keeping your existing plan features and cost.

The more complex answer to the question of is 100 MB going to be enough. It depends on how careful you are, and how much traffic you use. I use my Z10 on a Rogers prepaid plan buying 500 MB per month. I have a data monitor application running that keeps track of my cellular data usage. I tend to be averaging around 150 MB per month, but I have gone as high as 400 and as low as 20. You could use the same strategy that I used when I first got my Z10. Get a data monitor app that meets your needs. Start off living with cellular data off except when you know you need it on. See how much data you use and slowly transition to a usage pattern that works for you. You may find that 100 MB is lots, though there are people around who will tell you different.

I was coming from a 1GB corporate BBOS BIS/BES plan and was using about 120-150 MB/month. Now I'm using a personal device, no work email, and using about the same amount of data.

As always YMMV

Edit:

Oh I should mention that now I have Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, four additional email addresses, six additional calendars and six contact lists sources that were not on my work BlackBerry. I don't browse a lot but my wife will confirm that any spare moment I have with my phone I check CB10 and CBC news.
    09-24-13 02:00 PM
    I think you'll find that you'll be using more data with a BB10 device -- for a couple of reasons. 1) The loss of the BIS data compression, and 2) It's just so difficult not to play with it!

I'm a heavy user, almost never on WiFi and receive a bazillion messages each day. On my 9900, I used 1-1/2 to 2GB per month. With my Z10, I'm over 4GB.

Give it a try, attempt to use WiFi whenever possible. If it looks like you'd be going over, check into the "data add-ons" from Virgin. That might do the trick without messing with an otherwise suitable plan.
    09-24-13 04:49 PM
    I've got the same plan as I did with with BBOS and you just have to keep an eye on the data usage. Like other posts have said, when you're in wifi make sure it's on.

I've gone so far as to turn off data when wifi is on because sometimes the wifi drops and if you're doing something it takes from data.

I have gone over my limit a couple of times until I noticed that.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 04:54 PM
    Timely tips as I'm looking to finally move to a Z10 and still living on an old 200MB plan where I average 50MB-60MB/month. My wife (Motorola Atrix2 Android) says "that's because that old POS can't do anything!"
    09-24-13 05:37 PM
    Timely tips as I'm looking to finally move to a Z10 and still living on an old 200MB plan where I average 50MB-60MB/month. My wife (Motorola Atrix2 Android) says "that's because that old POS can't do anything!"
    You're probably going to exceed 200Mb. Sorry.

Z10STL100-2/10.1.0.4780 O2 UK
    09-24-13 06:16 PM
    Yeah, I never thought about data consumption on BB07. I don't even think I knew what my limit was. When I upgraded to BB10, I chose T-Mo's 500mg plan (by choice, I could have kept my BIS plan, but T-Mo's new structure appealed to me). I upgraded that to 2gb for $10 very quickly. And I'm not a big data user. 100mb would be impossible for me to stay under.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 08:43 PM
    Ok, I know from reading numerous posts that BB10 doesn't require BIS, however in my case I would like to maintain the same plan and simply upgrade my phone.

Don't laugh, but i have a 100mb monthly plan which covers all of my communication needs thanks to Blackberry's compression and BIS service. For emails, BBM, instant messaging, twitter and the odd website look up it fits my needs.

I'd like to continue using the same plan but upgrade my phone to BB10. Can I still use my BIS plan, and can I expect my data usage to be similar if I use the new BB10 in the same way as BB7? I'm currently with Virgin Mobile in Canada.
    do your self a favor and call Virgin to make sure. I had a BIS plan on my old Bold 9900 and I had to change to another BIS data plan to be able to use it on my 9900 and BB 10. Other wise, it would've charged me for Tethering costs and bills wouldve been through the roof.

Good luck
    09-24-13 09:48 PM
    When I switched from a BlackBerry Bold 9700 with BES data plan of 1GB to a BlackBerry Z10 with regular data plan of 5GB I did so because the data is not compressed anymore. Fortunately my wireless carrier is offering BBM at no cost for 12 months and cannot differentiate between regular data and BBM data so I effectively get unlimited data.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    09-27-13 07:34 PM