Hello ,

can I still buy a Blackberry passport in 2020?
    I have the possibility of having a new one.
    Can I use it without Blackberry ID?
    Is the Cobalt installation still working?
    Are Android apps still available?

Thank you in advance for all your informed answers.
    05-17-20 11:44 AM
    Hello ,

You don't need the Cobalt stuff anymore. Just use a simple app called Yalp, which is a Play Store client.

You can run it without a BBID, but then you won't be able to use BlackBerry Protect or BBM.

BB10 is EOL, and new device haven't been made in years, so you'll have to check the used market.

Just make sure than phone, text, and email are by far your primary needs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-17-20 11:55 AM
    Thank you very much for your quick response.
    Without Blackberry Protect, is device security weakened?
    Are there still problems with certificates to go to certain websites?
    Can we still have some common applications?
    05-17-20 12:09 PM
    Some android apps will run (apps with minimum of android 4.3) but the number of apps is getting smaller day by day. Banking apps, many social media apps etc will not work. If you need a lot of android apps then BB10 is really not a good choice anymore. These devices at this point are good for email, calling and texting with a bit of other functionality. The native browser also is slow now and some web sites will not display. There are android browsers that you can download and use but they are slower on BB10 devices also.
    mh1983, Laura Knotek and so crow like this.
    05-17-20 12:10 PM
    Hello ,

If you've never used BB10 hardware, you'll find a severe usability gap if you're expecting similar to Android/iOS experience. Many of the BB10 supporters have learned to live without Android/iOS conveniences.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-17-20 05:22 PM
    Hello ,

Use away, Conite is rite if you are looking for smooth as silk than the Passport is not for you. But if you like the challenge and like to play come on in the waters fine.
    05-18-20 06:08 PM
    BlackBerry Protect allows you to find, lock, or wipe a device remotely in the event it gets lost or stolen.

The browser is not great for 2020, but you can fill the gap with an Android browser like Kiwi.

If you are even asking about apps, you may be looking in the wrong place.
    05-18-20 06:38 PM
    The browser has trouble rendering some websites. Kiwi browser is indeed a pretty good substitute. Some native BB10 apps might cover what you're after, but many (like Maps) haven't been kept up. Phone, text, and email. Anything else is a blessing on BB10.
    05-19-20 10:01 PM
    Hello ,

Given what already has been said here there is still usable apps, but you may have to tweak a little. Facebook and Messenger works via their lite-versions, however for Fb you have to use the right version. If you like beer, Untapped in BBW still works! There is a new YouTube app and Twitter app, but these have to be sideloaded, but they are native and very nice! Certain versions of Netflix works fine and with Cobalt-stuff you can use it with Chromecast, at least older Chromecast. That's how it goes, it's a bit of work so you need to be dedicated. There are a lot of threads with similar questions and answers in the forum - take a look around!
    zer0ten likes this.
    05-19-20 11:28 PM
    I've been using BB10 since 2014, on and off. While the OS still holds me captive - It's brilliant, it gets harder, month by month to keep it running as a modern smartphone. It's worth it to me to substitute lesser, working BB10 app and live with its shortcomings than try and try to shoe horn an Android app that may on may not work.

So, if your willing to lower expectations and learn to tinker and patch a bit you'll have a working phone for the foreseeable future.

Sent from a Blackberry Passport
    05-20-20 09:47 PM
    Love the fact the PP is SOO tenacious.

It just will not die.
    05-21-20 01:19 AM
    Love the fact the PP is SOO tenacious.

It just will not die.
    I agree. Try to pick up an Android smartphone from 2014 and see how that works out.

Posted via CB10
    05-21-20 07:27 AM
    I agree. Try to pick up an Android smartphone from 2014 and see how that works out.

Posted via CB10
    Well, I understand your point but it's quite the same. Android has advanced and had many updates requiring newer and newer hardware while BB10 has been at a standstill since about 2015. Plus BB10 is a closed, proprietary OS while Android is more open for development. Makes keeping hardware current much more difficult.

But I see you point.

Sent from a Blackberry Passport
    05-21-20 08:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    The Passport and the LG G2 were introduced about same time. ART 4.3 - Full Lollipop 5 in regards to Android level and support. My G2 ran circles around my Passport and still does since my G2 upgraded to Marshmallow 6 so I'm not sure how that comparison helps the Passport arguments...
    05-21-20 11:05 AM
    The Passport and the LG G2 were introduced about same time. ART 4.3 - Full Lollipop 5 in regards to Android level and support. My G2 ran circles around my Passport and still does since my G2 upgraded to Marshmallow 6 so I'm not sure how that comparison helps the Passport arguments...
    I will say that between the two... the BB10 phone might be safer to use than an outdated Android.... but I wouldn't use either as they both have a level of risk, that is higher than the risk of using a phone that is current on it's updates and patches.

But if security wasn't an issue, rooting and custom roms are a whole new way to have fun with some of these more popular phones of old. As much as many love BB10, having a rom with Android or ASOP would have really allow for a longer usefulness for those that do need apps.
    05-21-20 02:38 PM