I've always want to do this. But can't find the setting.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 01:40 PM
    Sure thing, switch the device to bedside mode and it will work. Swipe down from the top screen when charging and it will enable it. You can (if on the new leak 10.2.1) enable it through your quick settings as well.
    just_luc likes this.
    12-18-13 01:42 PM
    I know this if you are charging. Does it mean it cannot if you are not charging?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:25 PM
    Also if on BES - your ability to play with timeout settings are limited.
    12-18-13 02:32 PM
    Sure thing, switch the device to bedside mode and it will work. Swipe down from the top screen when charging and it will enable it. You can (if on the new leak 10.2.1) enable it through your quick settings as well.
    That doesn't work for me, screen always goes black after a few seconds in bedside mode.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:40 PM
    That doesn't work for me, screen always goes black after a few seconds in bedside mode.

Posted via CB10
    That isn't good. Entire purpose is to have it stay on. Mine dims but does not turn off. I have enabled bedside mode without charging as well. Lock the screen (press top button to turn off then again to turn on). And Swipe down from the top

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 02:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Phone needs to be charging/plugged in for the clock to stay visible while in bedside mode. There is NO way to override the screen timeout of the clock so that it stays on for as long as needed with the phone NOT plugged in.
    12-18-13 02:57 PM
    Phone needs to be charging/plugged in for the clock to stay visible while in bedside mode. There is NO way to override the screen timeout of the clock so that it stays on for as long as needed with the phone NOT plugged in.
    This is correct. I was only indicating that is a way to get the clock to stay on. It does need to be charging.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 03:05 PM
    Thanks Everyone. So I need to stay charging. They should allow clock to stay on though on subsequent update. Does the 10.2.1 let's clock stay on if not charging?

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 09:38 PM
    Thanks Everyone. So I need to stay charging. They should allow clock to stay on though on subsequent update. Does the 10.2.1 let's clock stay on if not charging?

Posted via CB10
    Probably not since having your screen active like that would kill battery life

Posted via CB10. 10.2.0.1791
    12-18-13 10:40 PM
    Well there you go, I hardly ever leave my phone charging overnight, initially for fear of overcharging the battery and diminishing it's life cycle...
    aside from that I don't usually let my battery fall below 40% but when it does I charge it with my playbook charger and it charges it in about 15min...anyhow, charging it overnight would be a waste of electricity once it's charged, even it is is a few pennies, doing so every night adds up.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 09:00 PM
    You are worried about overcharging but yet you use the high amp PlayBook charger?
    Seems to me that would be way worse for your battery

MiSsY_ likes this.
    12-21-13 09:38 PM
    I've started using bedside mode with my Z when I leave it on the dock by my bedside when I take my Q to work. When I get home from work, I swear sometimes the red clock is off. Will it not stay on for 10+ hours?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 10:28 PM
    Bedside mode is under clock also. This is where I always use it and it never turns off ever until it dies. Also under settings you can choose calls and wireless enable disable. I disable all cause I don't always charge my phone at night. It barely uses battery like5-8% all night

Can I keep my clock on without screen timeout?-img_20131221_233719.png

Can I keep my clock on without screen timeout?-img_20131221_233945.png

Posted from [email protected]#ATT via CB10
    12-21-13 10:40 PM
    Bedside mode is under clock also. This is where I always use it and it never turns off ever until it dies. Also under settings you can choose calls and wireless enable disable. I disable all cause I don't always charge my phone at night. It barely uses battery like5-8% all night

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131221_233719.png 
Views:	846 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	232275

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131221_233945.png 
Views:	848 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	232276

Are you saying the clock face stays on even when your phone is NOT plugged in???

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 11:03 PM
    Yup unless something else is keeping it on....

12-21-13 11:09 PM
    Yup unless something else is keeping it on....

Huh?

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 11:46 PM
    The main battery draw of a smartphone is the screen - obviously you can't leave it on while you sleep for 8hrs - the device would surely be dead before you woke up.
    12-22-13 06:50 AM
    The main battery draw of a smartphone is the screen - obviously you can't leave it on while you sleep for 8hrs - the device would surely be dead before you woke up.
    I said plugged in.
    12-22-13 08:11 AM
    Well there you go, I hardly ever leave my phone charging overnight, initially for fear of overcharging the battery and diminishing it's life cycle...
    aside from that I don't usually let my battery fall below 40% but when it does I charge it with my playbook charger and it charges it in about 15min...anyhow, charging it overnight would be a waste of electricity once it's charged, even it is is a few pennies, doing so every night adds up.

Posted via CB10
    That's not how it works. The device will not overcharge. When it reaches 100% it shuts down the charging circuit. Also, as for electricity used.. simply having the charger plugged into the wall socket even with no phone connected will use some phantom electricity.. unless you go through the trouble of unplugging the charger from the wall while not in use, you will definitely not see a difference.

Posted via CB10
    Ben1232 likes this.
    12-22-13 08:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    The phone is trickle charged which means that when it reaches 100% it will only take a certain amount of power to maintain the charge at 100%. It won't over charge.

Rapid charging batteries heats them up. Heat or vast temperature changes is the biggest battery life span shortener.

Having said that, I am in the UK and for me, the Battery Lover app showed that my PlayBook charger charges my Z30 at the same rate as the one that came with the Z30.

Edit: I now see that you have a Z10

Posted from my Z30 via the CB app
    12-22-13 08:48 AM
    I said plugged in.
    No one is talking to you.
    12-22-13 09:08 AM
    No one is talking to you.
    Everyone is talking to BJ. Everyone is talking about BJ.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 11:23 AM
    You are worried about overcharging but yet you use the high amp PlayBook charger?
    Seems to me that would be way worse for your battery

It's not, blackberry has confirmed that it can be used. Plus once it's charged I immediately unplug it.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 01:33 AM
    That's not how it works. The device will not overcharge. When it reaches 100% it shuts down the charging circuit. Also, as for electricity used.. simply having the charger plugged into the wall socket even with no phone connected will use some phantom electricity.. unless you go through the trouble of unplugging the charger from the wall while not in use, you will definitely not see a difference.

Posted via CB10
    ...which is why I said "initially"... back in the days of the not-so-smart flip phones manuals used to say "Do Not Over Charge."...since then I have maintained that policy with just about every gadget I have...call it paranoia if you must...

and yes, I know having things plugged in will use up some electricity which is why I unplug all non essential items when not in use...phones, toasters, blenders, etc....every little bit helps, especially if you're the only one paying the bills, not to mention you help conserve energy for your state and the planet...

once I look into installing solar panels on my roof then i would probably be more liberal with my energy consumption.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 01:45 AM
32 12