I need a little clarification. All questions pertain to factory unlocked phones,

1. Does BB push out OS updates at the same time as the first wave of carriers?

1a. Do they do this by regions (perhaps to temper the load on their servers?)

2. If the answer to #1 is yes, if you have a SIM card in the phone from a carrier that has not yet pushed out the OS, will that actually hinder you from getting the update? IOW, does SIM take priority over the OS that's available from BB?

3. Does BB release OSes for all devices at the same time (assuming they've made OSes available to carriers for all devices, like today, 2/19.)

Thanks
    DocDRM likes this.
    02-19-15 11:42 AM
    Not sure but I believe the answers to your questions are yes, yes, yes and yes. Someone I know had an unlocked bb from BB, removed the att sim and got the update.
    raino likes this.
    02-19-15 11:47 AM
    I don't know the specifics, but here is what I could gather from reports.

BlackBerry seems to have pushed this update to all devices and to all carriers worldwide. ShopBB devices are getting the update already no matter the carrier, but i'd try it SIMless just to be on the safe side.

Some carriers that didn't even sport a few device models have been reported to have updates available (Claro and Tim here in Brasil for example, which didn't sell Z30s).

Hope that's of some help.
    raino likes this.
    02-19-15 11:49 AM
    I tried this at lunch and no dice. Unlocked Passport running on Bell. I also had an issue in the past with my unlocked Q10 where it wouldn't get the updates.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 11:49 AM
    My Passport is factory-unlocked, but has a Telus SIM in it and has not received 10.3.1 - the SIM seems to be taking priority, as Telus has yet to approve 10.3.1. I'm going to try pulling the SIM and checking for updates, but I'm not holding my breath.
    raino likes this.
    02-19-15 11:54 AM
    My phone is unlocked and i already have update. If you don't have the update available try disconnect the mobile network and with wifi search for update.
    02-19-15 11:55 AM
    I don't know the specifics, but here is what I could gather from reports.

BlackBerry seems to have pushed this update to all devices and to all carriers worldwide. ShopBB devices are getting the update already no matter the carrier, but i'd try it SIMless just to be on the safe side.

Some carriers that didn't even sport a few device models have been reported to have updates available (Claro and Tim here in Brasil for example, which didn't sell Z30s).

Hope that's of some help.
    Thanks Diego, it does help. I'm guessing Claro and TIM customers are getting their updates because they have factory unlocked phones. But do you know if they are getting it with their SIM card out or in the phone? The prevailing consensus suggests they should be only getting it when their SIM cards are not in their Z30s.

I tried this at lunch and no dice. Unlocked Passport running on Bell. I also had an issue in the past with my unlocked Q10 where it wouldn't get the updates.
    Did you check with your SIM card inside or outside the phone? Also, Passport is a phone getting 10.3.1 today, right?
    02-19-15 12:07 PM
    Did you check with your SIM card inside or outside the phone? Also, Passport is a phone getting 10.3.1 today, right?
    That seems to depend on the carrier - Rogers pushed 10.3.1 for the Z10 and Q10 today, but said the Passport's update won't come till early March, for instance.

Also, I just tried checking for updates on my factory-unlocked Passport without the SIM, and I'm still getting nothing.

EDIT: Michael Clewley just tweeted this: "We’ve enabled 10.3.1 Globally now for ShopBlackBerry and Amazon purchased phones, it will start to trickle down." Maybe unlocked devices will start seeing the update soon after all.
    02-19-15 12:10 PM
    Also, I just tried checking for updates on my factory-unlocked Passport without the SIM, and I'm still getting nothing.
    But we (minus I) do know for sure that the Passport has a 10.3.1 out today?
    02-19-15 12:14 PM
    I just got a Passport this week from shop BlackBerry. I haven't put a sim in yet, and I am not seeing the update.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 12:17 PM
    But we (minus I) do know for sure that the Passport has a 10.3.1 out today?
    A number of Passport owners have been reporting receiving the update throughout the forums, so yes, it appears that the Passport is among the phones receiving 10.3.1 today.
    raino likes this.
    02-19-15 12:17 PM
    Thanks Diego, it does help. I'm guessing Claro and TIM customers are getting their updates because they have factory unlocked phones. But do you know if they are getting it with their SIM card out or in the phone? The prevailing consensus suggests they should be only getting it when their SIM cards are not in their Z30s.
    No, carrier pushed updates.

Z30s are all unlocked or they would not function, but the Z/Qs are/were all from carriers (and they all had the SIM in there).

A number of Passport owners have been reporting receiving the update throughout the forums, so yes, it appears that the Passport is among the phones receiving 10.3.1 today.
    The update was released for all devices. This has been confirmed directly by BlackBerry.
    LazyEvul and raino like this.
    02-19-15 12:21 PM
    Michael Clewley
    ‏@MichaelClewley
    We’ve enabled 10.3.1 Globally now for ShopBlackBerry and Amazon purchased phones, it will start to trickle down.
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    More

Good news for all of direct purchasers. I wonder what release # it will be? I am running 10.3.1.1581 on my Passport. If it is lower I would if we will still see it or should try to find it? Will it be more stable than the leak?
    raino likes this.
    02-19-15 12:37 PM
    If 10.3.1 has been pushed out to, say, Z30s globally, then I wonder why it is that not all Z30 owners are finding the update with their SIM cards out. In the US, for example. Is it just a coincidence that the US carriers are also some of the slowest most rigorous testers? Does BB still wait for such carriers' approvals to even push to factory unlocked phones in their countries?
    rcab likes this.
    02-19-15 12:38 PM
    Bravo Raino for a thoroughly cogent series of questions. All very relevant to my situation, and a great thread with great posts.

1000 bonus points for everyone (or 2 cookies).

Posted via CB10, Mostly from my Passport, occasionally my Z30
    02-19-15 01:01 PM
    02-19-15 01:04 PM
    If 10.3.1 has been pushed out to, say, Z30s globally, then I wonder why it is that not all Z30 owners are finding the update with their SIM cards out. In the US, for example. Is it just a coincidence that the US carriers are also some of the slowest most rigorous testers? Does BB still wait for such carriers' approvals to even push to factory unlocked phones in their countries?
    According to Michael Clewley's tweet, it looks like BlackBerry is no longer waiting on carriers to push updates to factory-unlocked phones: ShopBlackBerry and Amazon purchased devices receiving OS 10.3.1 update from BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

I don't believe this was the case in the past, but it's a welcome improvement, even if the situation is still far from ideal.

Edit: Bla1ze beat me to it, that darned ninja
    rcab and raino like this.
    02-19-15 01:05 PM
    Michael Clewley
    ‏@MichaelClewley
    We’ve enabled 10.3.1 Globally now for ShopBlackBerry and Amazon purchased phones, it will start to trickle down.
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    More

Good news for all of direct purchasers. I wonder what release # it will be? I am running 10.3.1.1581 on my Passport. If it is lower I would if we will still see it or should try to find it? Will it be more stable than the leak?
    So BB does release the update around the same time as the first wave of carriers. That's good and the way it should be. Bla1ze, any insight into 1a. and why US factory unlocked phone owners are generally not seeing the updates so far? I believe it's the same way for Rogers Passport owners; Rogers is one carrier who hasn't released this 10.3.1 update for the Passport. I don't think that when Michael Clewley says they've released 10.3.1 he means literally then or shortly thereafter. As Diego pointed out, it's been out for a while today. So just coincidences that people on some carriers/in some countries are not seeing it yet?
    02-19-15 01:10 PM
    According to Michael Clewley's tweet, it looks like BlackBerry is no longer waiting on carriers to push updates to factory-unlocked phones: ShopBlackBerry and Amazon purchased devices receiving OS 10.3.1 update from BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

I don't believe this was the case in the past, but it's a welcome improvement, even if the situation is still far from ideal.
    They've done so in the past with phones that weren't sold/supported by carriers (Z30s on TMO immediately come to mind.) Maybe pushing OSes out to factory unlocked phones regardless of carrier support status is just an extension of that.
    LazyEvul and rcab like this.
    02-19-15 01:16 PM
    The prevailing consensus suggests they should be only getting it when their SIM cards are not in their Z30s.

Did you check with your SIM card inside or outside the phone?
    Factory unlocked AT&T Z10 STL100-3 RFK120LW.

Removed USA carrier AT&T mnvo SIM card (Airvoice) and rebooted. No pushed update. Manual check for update said I need to wait 2+ hours before I can check again. Will check a with and without sim equipped Z10 later on tonight and report back.
    02-19-15 01:26 PM
    It's 10.3.1.1565 (2243) that's being pushed to Factory Passports

Michael Clewley
    ‏@MichaelClewley
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    More

rcab likes this.
    02-19-15 01:34 PM
    I tried both of my Z10's tonight. Both are running 10.3.1.1565 SR, One doesn't have a sim, the other did.

I came up with no updates.

Is that because of the .1565's that I have installed or because of where I'm located?
    02-19-15 05:57 PM
    Got the update just now. Factory unlocked Passport, with Bell SIM inserted. Tried earlier with no SIM wi-fi only and didn't get it. Was just a matter of time. Be patient folks!
    Can I get some help with OS update questions for factory unlocked BBs?-img_20150219_211043.png

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 07:12 PM
    Factory unlocked Classic from Amazon. T-Mobile.

Been looking around the forums all day deciding whether to try out the Sachesi method I've been reading but Link won't let me do a backup so I decided against it. Just got the notification a couple minutes ago for 1581.

up and running now
    Can I get some help with OS update questions for factory unlocked BBs?-img_20150219_214253.png
    Last edited by megafan2000; 02-19-15 at 08:52 PM.
    02-19-15 07:22 PM
    My factory-unlocked Passport is seeing the update now as well, with Telus SIM inserted.
    02-19-15 07:23 PM
26 12