Well your statement is not really true and correct!
    They can open source BB10 but not QNX which actually is not good idea but considering small amount of QNX role in BB10 (as some here on crackberry mentioned STH around 10%) it can be replaced with similar things like GNU/much!

Send by my lovely passport silver edition
    I’m speaking in probabilities not possibilities. It doesn’t matter since BB isn’t going to waste shareholder money on none ROI type project.

Everyone will have to buy a new phone anyway eventually..... Android/IOS will be the ones to go 5G, right?
    08-13-18 07:01 AM
    I’m speaking in probabilities not possibilities. It doesn’t matter since BB isn’t going to waste shareholder money on none ROI type project.

Everyone will have to buy a new phone anyway eventually..... Android/IOS will be the ones to go 5G, right?
    Yup
    Guess those 2 are only ones who are getting into 5G realm maybe just maybe we have sailfish over there to!

08-13-18 07:04 AM
    Yup
    Guess those 2 are only ones who are getting into 5G realm maybe just maybe we have sailfish over there to!

Wouldn’t that require some compatible hardware? It’s struggling for any real support on 4G. The new alternative will be people rocking landlines and pagers.....
    08-13-18 07:10 AM
    Wouldn’t that require some compatible hardware? It’s struggling for any real support on 4G. The new alternative will be people rocking landlines and pagers.....
    Didn't get your point!
    If there be compatible hardware the OS need to be capable of handling so.
    I think sailfish is able to implement requirements for 5G which of course need 5G hardware!

08-13-18 07:14 AM
    How does that make any sense? No thats not a serious question towards you, phone companies can be a frustrating topic.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-18 07:51 AM
    If blackberry made a licence for a manufacturer made great enhanced secure feature pkb phone with enhanced browser it will be nice.

Love Peace and Share
    Blackberry had BB10 available for licensing for a long time.
    NOBODY wanted it.
    08-13-18 10:58 AM
    We are aware that BlackBerry has no intentions of continuing development on BB10. That is why it would be nice of them not to throw something so fan-supported in the trash.

A way to give back and get some recognition.
    Blackberry (BB) is a BUSINESS.
    A business needs to generate REVENUE and PROFIT in order to stay in business.
    This is why BB10 was killed - the project (hardware and software) NEARLY BANKRUPTED the business and so they changed their business model.

Why would they "give back" by allowing people to continue with BB10 instead of hopefully having them transition to a BB Android phone, thereby generating NEW REVENUE for BB instead of just costing BB more money?

It would be similar to going to a GM car dealership and asking them to bring back the Pontiac car line "for old times sake". They will decline because in the 2008 timeframe, when GM was facing BANKRUPTCY GM's board killed the entire Pontiac car line IN ORDER TO KEEP THE CORPORATION ALIVE.

Again, BB is a business, not a charity.
    pdr733 and DrBoomBotz like this.
    08-13-18 11:08 AM
    Blackberry (BB) is a BUSINESS.
    A business needs to generate REVENUE and PROFIT in order to stay in business.
    This is why BB10 was killed - the project (hardware and software) NEARLY BANKRUPTED the business and so they changed their business model.

Why would they "give back" by allowing people to continue with BB10 instead of hopefully having them transition to a BB Android phone, thereby generating NEW REVENUE for BB instead of just costing BB more money?

It would be similar to going to a GM car dealership and asking them to bring back the Pontiac car line "for old times sake". They will decline because in the 2008 timeframe, when GM was facing BANKRUPTCY GM's board killed the entire Pontiac car line IN ORDER TO KEEP THE CORPORATION ALIVE.

Again, BB is a business, not a charity.
    I second everything written here, in addition:
    how does llamax define "so fan supported"? according to what metric BB10 has a high "fan support"? hopefully he/she does not refer to CB threads as an indicator of widespread support
    Anyway, corporations do not stay alive from "fan support" without income and profit
    Heck, even sports teams (atleast pro ones) cannot live on "fan support" alone...
    glwerry and john_v like this.
    08-13-18 11:13 AM
    Not open source. Available for licensing though.
    What does that even mean? What if an organization wanted to put a GNU General Public License (version 2) on it?

Posted via CB10
    08-13-18 04:30 PM
    BB10 will not be open-sourced because BB isn't willing to open-source QNX, which is the foundation upon which BB10 is built. BB still sees QNX as a strategic asset that is used for several of their most important products, including their self-driving car initiative as well as BB Radar.

As far as licensing BB10, BB10 was available for licensing deals since a year before it launched, and there's never been a taker. Given that BB lost around $10B in cash and assets trying to make BB10 work and failed, and nearly went bankrupt in the process, it's hard to imagine why anyone would license it today - 4 years since development ended, and without even a staff that is familiar with it. WinPhone wasn't successful with a licensing model and they licenced it (for small devices like phone) for FREE.

More info about licensing:

https://www.theverge.com/2012/1/23/2...blackberry-ceo

This article was from mid-January, 2012, and talks about Heins being open to licensing BB10 - and this is a full year before it was actually delivered, though it was also around the time BB had initially promised delivery before pushing back the date several times.

https://crackberry.com/thorsten-hein...ing-it-someone

This was in August 2012 - and Heins was still looking for licensees, and it's clear that he saw a financial crisis in the works even then. Of course, he would have never said so outright, but it's easy to see in retrospect (and some of us could see it even then).

BlackBerry maker RIM hires outside firms to review its business - latimes

In May of 2013, BB brought in 2 outside consulting firms to accelerate their ongoing strategic review, hoping for input on how to better monetize their assets, which specifically included licensing BB10, among other BB properties.

https://crackberry.com/thorsten-heins

On November 4th, 2013 as BlackBerry called an end to their strategic review, Thorsten Heins announced he would be stepping down as CEO and CEO John S. Chen would take his place.

So, for nearly 2 years - and more than half of that BEFORE BB10's launch and spectacular market failure, BB was actively looking for BB10 licensees - and failed to find any.

As we well know, Chen came in and announced that licensing would also be a big focus of his, and has subsequently licensed out a number of things, including BB's flavor of Android as well as the cross-platform (i.e., non-BB) portion of BBM. If there was a way to make money licensing BB10, is there really any doubt that Chen wouldn't have jumped at the chance? And if that's true, what conclusion can we draw from the fact that BB hasn't done so?

And it's harder today, given that BB is now a Google licensee and as such has agreed not to offer Android forks such as the BB10 runtime - meaning BB10 would have to be stripped of the runtime in order to be used going forward. Given the state of BB World - and the fact that it's scheduled to be taken down next year - that should tell you what BB believes themselves.
    I'm saving a link to this as a dictionary item called "bb10won'tbeopensourced" that I can use in response to future posts. Well done!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-13-18 05:05 PM
    What does that even mean? What if an organization wanted to put a GNU General Public License (version 2) on it?

Posted via CB10
    It means companies could use it under a licence between the two companies. The source still belongs to BlackBerry so an organisation couldn’t put the GNU GPL on it because A they are only licensing it and since it is a copyleft licence any derivative works must be licensed with it which would be a real pain for BlackBerry.
    08-13-18 05:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    No.

"License", in the way BlackBerry offered it, means another OEM makes a new phone and licensing the BB10 OS, as is, for that OEM to install it, and maybe even support it. But, the OS itself still belongs to BlackBerry.
    08-13-18 05:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    What if I wanted to rent your house to someone else? Wouldn't I have to either buy it from you first or rent it from you with the right to sublet it to a third party? It's the same with intellectual property rights.

BlackBerry Limited created and owns BB10 and controls all rights. Only they could allow that, and they won't because it is not in their interest as it might compromise other products that use some of the same intellectual property.

No other organization has the right to license it unless they first license it from BlackBerry, and BlackBerry would almost certainly prohibit a licensing organization from re-licensing it.

08-13-18 05:47 PM
    BlackBerry limited is not going to open source BB10. The cost of the review of the BB10 code and ensure no 3rd party license code does not get released is enough to ensure BlackBerry Limited will not expend the money. Sure the cost is not huge, but there is a cost and BlackBerry would receive zero benefit from expending the money. Also, BlackBerry will never release the BB10 signing keys. Without the signing keys the who idea is dead.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-13-18 06:57 PM
    Question asked & answered. Thanks.

Now I get it.

Posted via CB10
    08-13-18 07:51 PM
    Question asked & answered. Thanks.

Now I get it.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and it is no.
    08-13-18 08:16 PM
  17. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    no.

 Passport RED Edition 10.3.32163
    08-14-18 11:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    That would be impossible unless they strip off all QNX code of BB10, cause it is closed source and no buddy except BB himself can't open source it!
    Therefore if that company does act this way BB can sue them!

08-15-18 10:53 AM
    That would be impossible unless they strip off all QNX code of BB10, cause it is closed source and no buddy except BB himself can't open source it!
    Therefore if that company does act this way BB can sue them!

And BlackBerry isn't afraid to sue someone for infringement of their IP.....

QNX isn't Open Source and never was... back before BlackBerry bought them, they liked to call it a Hybrid Software Model.

So it's nothing like KaiOS that was built out of the failed Firefox OS which was built out of Boot to Gecko which is just from LINUX...
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-15-18 02:57 PM
    The best strategy (if anyone were serious about bringing back some version of the BB10 experience) would be to license any design patents from BB and then reverse engineer the FUNCTIONALITY of BB10 on a modern platform using available drivers and firmware.

If that sounds like a hare-brained scheme, I agree, but at least it stays on the right side of the law and doesn't involve resurrecting zombie code with a non-existent development team.

Troy Tiscareno and ppeters914 like this.
    08-15-18 04:12 PM
    The best strategy (if anyone were serious about bringing back some version of the BB10 experience) would be to license any design patents from BB and then reverse engineer the FUNCTIONALITY of BB10 on a modern platform using available drivers and firmware.

If that sounds like a hare-brained scheme, I agree, but at least it stays on the right side of the law and doesn't involve resurrecting zombie code with a non-existent development team.

Zinq couldn’t even cover 20% of the dev costs on BB10 launcher for Android. I’d say hoping for BB10 like enhancements on BBAndroid paid for by TCL/BBMo is best wishful thinking if demand is really there.....

I know you know things like this... I was just chiming in....
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-15-18 09:47 PM
    Being that BlackBerry is now all software, I wonder if they have tinkered with a BB10-like skin for Android, similar to Samsung's TouchWiz.

It would seem to me that would give you the best of both worlds - the baked in Peek and Flow with app support.
    Zinq couldn’t even cover 20% of the dev costs on BB10 launcher for Android. I’d say hoping for BB10 like enhancements on BBAndroid paid for by TCL/BBMo is best wishful thinking if demand is really there.....

I know you know things like this... I was just chiming in....
    08-15-18 09:54 PM
    Being that BlackBerry is now all software, I wonder if they have tinkered with a BB10-like skin for Android, similar to Samsung's TouchWiz.

It would seem to me that would give you the best of both worlds - the baked in Peek and Flow with app support.
    Since I’m no IT guy, I’m not familiar with things possible at OEM Android level vs Proprietary OS system level by Google only... I suspect there may be some reasons some things aren’t done already.
    john_v likes this.
    08-15-18 09:58 PM
    Very possible. Seems like they've gotten somewhat close with the productivity tab
    Since I’m no IT guy, I’m not familiar with things possible at OEM Android level vs Proprietary OS system level by Google only... I suspect there may be some reasons some things aren’t done already.
    08-15-18 09:59 PM
    I remember older threads stating exactly this--limitations in Android do not allow for similar gestures. Although, that seems to have changed and perhaps we based on earlier versions since some launchers to have some swiping.
    08-16-18 06:46 AM
102 12345