For BB10 fans, smartphone life seems to get dreary just waiting for the two big guys to incorporate our favourite features in their OSes. Apple bit the swiping interface which is great but we are stuck with the lame virtual keyboards and no way to configure it for office use - flashing the camera flash for notifications - really? Android has the BB suite with VKB but no swipe interface. Maybe with Fuchia.

I would love for a community to be able to update BB10 to keep it current with security updates and new webkit versions.

Can Chen open source the OS as a way to apologize for the Playbook BB10 fiasco once and for all?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-03-18 03:04 AM
    Not open source. Available for licensing though.
    08-03-18 03:34 AM
    Not open source. Available for licensing though.
    Is BB10 still available for licensing? It's already in maintenance mode and will be done for by end of 2019.
    08-03-18 04:00 AM
    Is BB10 still available for licensing? It's already in maintenance mode and will be done for by end of 2019.
    Not sure. Could be it'll be available as-is and updates would be provided by whomever is licensing it.
    08-03-18 04:44 AM
    The most important will be for use will the update of webkit with supprt of pwa and enhance html5 javascript compatibily

But we dream

Love Peace and Share
    08-03-18 05:41 AM
    Can Chen open source the OS as a way to apologize for the Playbook BB10 fiasco once and for all?
    No.
    Digital_Islandboy likes this.
    08-03-18 06:08 AM
    The most important will be for use will the update of webkit with supprt of pwa and enhance html5 javascript compatibily

But we dream

Love Peace and Share
    I've seen some cases of offline resources working, not googles standard though, also some good libraries to support missing features. Need something more substantial for a device backend though or will be limited to about 1 app. CSS renderer need support for colors, grid would be great.

https://get.webgl.org/

Clear your cache give some of these a try
    https://threejs.org/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 08-03-18 at 07:47 AM.
    08-03-18 07:22 AM
    For BB10 fans, smartphone life seems to get dreary just waiting for the two big guys to incorporate our favourite features in their OSes. Apple bit the swiping interface which is great but we are stuck with the lame virtual keyboards and no way to configure it for office use - flashing the camera flash for notifications - really? Android has the BB suite with VKB but no swipe interface. Maybe with Fuchia.

I would love for a community to be able to update BB10 to keep it current with security updates and new webkit versions.

That would be awesome. I am experimenting with ways to hook up my BB Playbook to HDMI Cable and adding a Bluetooth Mouse + Keyboard. It looks like it would make a different and awesome looking desktop.
    Ideally, I think I'd totally fall in love with a BB10 Laptop which would be a nice change from the Apple Laptops, the me-too looking Rukkic Cube looking Windows laptops out now, or the ChromeBooks.

I'd dump the browser though, perhaps for a FireFox or Opera(.com) web browser though. Other companies can spend time constantly updating the browser, certificates, the patches etc,. BlackBerry doesn't need to spend time on that. Just keep the core stable instead and add support or list which network devices or hardware work with it right out of the box.

With the amount of people that keep asking about the QNX Floppy diskette from almost two decades ago, (or BB10) I think BlackBerry could probably throw BB10 and QNX on a downloads server somewhere and just charge people $60-100 to download it on a X8086 device. If they don't want to sell-it on USB thumb drive or CD-ROM.

Last thing too. BB10 seems like it would work well on a FitBit type smartwatch design. Often wondered what BB would have come up with if they did fitness or "smartwatches."
    Last edited by Digital_Islandboy; 08-03-18 at 08:58 AM.
    08-03-18 08:33 AM
    That would be awesome. I am experimenting with ways to hook up my BB Playbook to HDMI Cable and adding a Bluetooth Mouse + Keyboard. It looks like it would make a different and awesome looking desktop.
    Ideally, I think I'd totally fall in love with a BB10 Laptop which would be a nice change from the Apple Laptops, the me-too looking Rukkic Cube looking Windows laptops out now, or the ChromeBooks.

I'd dump the browser though, perhaps for a FireFox or Opera(.com) web browser though. Other companies can spend time constantly updating the browser, certificates, the patches etc,. BlackBerry doesn't need to spend time on that. Just keep the core stable instead and add support or list which network devices or hardware work with it right out of the box.

With the amount of people that keep asking about the QNX Floppy diskette from almost two decades ago, (or BB10) I think BlackBerry could probably throw BB10 and QNX on a downloads server somewhere and just charge people $60-100 to download it on a X8086 device. If they don't want to sell-it on USB thumb drive or CD-ROM.

Last thing too. BB10 seems like it would work well on a FitBit type smartwatch design. Often wondered what BB would have come up with if they did fitness or "smartwatches."
    Going to want to keep it cool, youll need another to connect to you. Browser is pretty good though for its age and not so obfuscated.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-18 10:24 AM
    Part of their security model is that people who aren't BlackBerry can't load bootable software onto BB10 devices.
    08-03-18 10:51 AM
    Multiple threads on this already.
    Possible? Maybe.
    Probable? Not bloody likely.

Enjoy BB10 while you can.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    08-03-18 11:55 AM
    If blackberry made a licence for a manufacturer made great enhanced secure feature pkb phone with enhanced browser it will be nice.

Love Peace and Share
    08-03-18 02:13 PM
    And this is the "next" thread.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-03-18 02:18 PM
    Going to want to keep it cool, youll need another to connect to you. Browser is pretty good though for its age and not so obfuscated.

Posted via CB10
    The fact that Adobe's Shockwave, Macromedia, Flash et. al. are finally on their way out on the Internet could be one good thing as it is one area on BlackBerry that could be phased out in the browser and would be one area that BlackBerry wouldn't have to maintain any longer on BB10. HTML5 is taking over for the Adobe tools as right.
    08-03-18 04:21 PM
    The fact that Adobe's Shockwave, Macromedia, Flash et. al. are finally on their way out on the Internet could be one good thing as it is one area on BlackBerry that could be phased out in the browser and would be one area that BlackBerry wouldn't have to maintain any longer on BB10. HTML5 is taking over for the Adobe tools as right.
    Yea it is pretty useful with some audio and video. Flash is still superior for supporting binary data and c++. Though even then with javascript I suppose that gap can be bridged and you dont need expensive software to develop the content.

Also not many sites are utilizing HTML 5 specific layout elements. A standard is there but convoluted. React for example, bad at managing memory so you need devices with more RAM solely because of its poor implementation of its views. That sucks.
    Last edited by Leyra B10; 08-03-18 at 09:56 PM.
    08-03-18 06:33 PM
    If blackberry made a licence for a manufacturer made great enhanced secure feature pkb phone with enhanced browser it will be nice.

Love Peace and Share
    I think the platform is solid enough as it is. Security needs a new approach though. XHR requests, older method still functional.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-18 06:57 PM

Love Peace and Share
    All BlackBerry needs is a licensee with lots of cash. BlackBerry has been open to licensing BB10 since 2013. Today they would probably still be willing to license BB10 as is, meaning BlackBerry Limited would do no updates themselves and accept no liability for the OS. The licensee would have to invest the money to make BB10 run on modern hardware. As stated before, those who keep saying BB10 has a future should make it happen and roundup the investment dollars to make it happen.
    pdr733 likes this.
    08-03-18 08:09 PM
    All BlackBerry needs is a licensee with lots of cash. BlackBerry has been open to licensing BB10 since 2013. Today they would probably still be willing to license BB10 as is, meaning BlackBerry Limited would do no updates themselves and accept no liability for the OS. The licensee would have to invest the money to make BB10 run on modern hardware. As stated before, those who keep saying BB10 has a future should make it happen and roundup the investment dollars to make it happen.
    Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates has enough spare change in the empty water cooler bottles stored in the basement for stuff like this. If worth it, they’ll do it for the philanthropic recognition they’re famously known for..
    08-03-18 08:27 PM
  19. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    I heve a dream-westlife

 Passport RED Edition 10.3.32163
    08-03-18 08:51 PM
    I heve a dream-westlife

Attached Thumbnails Can Chen Open Source BB10 for the Fans?-69240.jpg  
    08-04-18 12:06 AM
    BB10 will not be open-sourced because BB isn't willing to open-source QNX, which is the foundation upon which BB10 is built. BB still sees QNX as a strategic asset that is used for several of their most important products, including their self-driving car initiative as well as BB Radar.

As far as licensing BB10, BB10 was available for licensing deals since a year before it launched, and there's never been a taker. Given that BB lost around $10B in cash and assets trying to make BB10 work and failed, and nearly went bankrupt in the process, it's hard to imagine why anyone would license it today - 4 years since development ended, and without even a staff that is familiar with it. WinPhone wasn't successful with a licensing model and they licenced it (for small devices like phone) for FREE.

More info about licensing:

https://www.theverge.com/2012/1/23/2...blackberry-ceo

This article was from mid-January, 2012, and talks about Heins being open to licensing BB10 - and this is a full year before it was actually delivered, though it was also around the time BB had initially promised delivery before pushing back the date several times.

https://crackberry.com/thorsten-hein...ing-it-someone

This was in August 2012 - and Heins was still looking for licensees, and it's clear that he saw a financial crisis in the works even then. Of course, he would have never said so outright, but it's easy to see in retrospect (and some of us could see it even then).

BlackBerry maker RIM hires outside firms to review its business - latimes

In May of 2013, BB brought in 2 outside consulting firms to accelerate their ongoing strategic review, hoping for input on how to better monetize their assets, which specifically included licensing BB10, among other BB properties.

https://crackberry.com/thorsten-heins

On November 4th, 2013 as BlackBerry called an end to their strategic review, Thorsten Heins announced he would be stepping down as CEO and CEO John S. Chen would take his place.

So, for nearly 2 years - and more than half of that BEFORE BB10's launch and spectacular market failure, BB was actively looking for BB10 licensees - and failed to find any.

As we well know, Chen came in and announced that licensing would also be a big focus of his, and has subsequently licensed out a number of things, including BB's flavor of Android as well as the cross-platform (i.e., non-BB) portion of BBM. If there was a way to make money licensing BB10, is there really any doubt that Chen wouldn't have jumped at the chance? And if that's true, what conclusion can we draw from the fact that BB hasn't done so?

And it's harder today, given that BB is now a Google licensee and as such has agreed not to offer Android forks such as the BB10 runtime - meaning BB10 would have to be stripped of the runtime in order to be used going forward. Given the state of BB World - and the fact that it's scheduled to be taken down next year - that should tell you what BB believes themselves.
    pdr733, john_v, Ecm and 4 others like this.
    08-04-18 01:25 AM
    Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates has enough spare change in the empty water cooler bottles stored in the basement for stuff like this. If worth it, they’ll do it for the philanthropic recognition they’re famously known for..
    Sounds like a great way to take a large pile of money and turn it into a small pile of money.
    08-04-18 01:56 AM
  23. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    if passport or blackberry10 died, I will make sure leave blackberry. and I will buy blackberryandroid forever. and now I don't buy bbndroid prive or more.

08-04-18 04:37 AM
    BB10 will not be open-sourced because BB isn't willing to open-source QNX, which is the foundation upon which BB10 is built. BB still sees QNX as a strategic asset that is used for several of their most important products, including their self-driving car initiative as well as BB Radar.

As far as licensing BB10, BB10 was available for licensing deals since a year before it launched, and there's never been a taker. Given that BB lost around $10B in cash and assets trying to make BB10 work and failed, and nearly went bankrupt in the process, it's hard to imagine why anyone would license it today - 4 years since development ended, and without even a staff that is familiar with it. WinPhone wasn't successful with a licensing model and they licenced it (for small devices like phone) for FREE.

This article was from mid-January, 2012, and talks about Heins being open to licensing BB10 - and this is a full year before it was actually delivered, though it was also around the time BB had initially promised delivery before pushing back the date several times.

This was in August 2012 - and Heins was still looking for licensees, and it's clear that he saw a financial crisis in the works even then. Of course, he would have never said so outright, but it's easy to see in retrospect (and some of us could see it even then).

In May of 2013, BB brought in 2 outside consulting firms to accelerate their ongoing strategic review, hoping for input on how to better monetize their assets, which specifically included licensing BB10, among other BB properties.

On November 4th, 2013 as BlackBerry called an end to their strategic review, Thorsten Heins announced he would be stepping down as CEO and CEO John S. Chen would take his place.

So, for nearly 2 years - and more than half of that BEFORE BB10's launch and spectacular market failure, BB was actively looking for BB10 licensees - and failed to find any.

As we well know, Chen came in and announced that licensing would also be a big focus of his, and has subsequently licensed out a number of things, including BB's flavor of Android as well as the cross-platform (i.e., non-BB) portion of BBM. If there was a way to make money licensing BB10, is there really any doubt that Chen wouldn't have jumped at the chance? And if that's true, what conclusion can we draw from the fact that BB hasn't done so?

And it's harder today, given that BB is now a Google licensee and as such has agreed not to offer Android forks such as the BB10 runtime - meaning BB10 would have to be stripped of the runtime in order to be used going forward. Given the state of BB World - and the fact that it's scheduled to be taken down next year - that should tell you what BB believes themselves.
    Very well put.
    08-04-18 01:45 PM

This deserves it's own stickied thread for reference... like this Why BlackBerry 10 won't become Open-Sourced (or licensed)

Well done, Troy.
    08-04-18 02:00 PM
102 123 ...