I am thinking, if the system is going out of support and most developers have abandoned BB10 OS. Could BlackBerry unlock our phones, allow us to develop custom roms and dual boot them? Is it technically viable?
    Given my Classic's specs, I think it can run Android 5.0 or 6.0 with no issues. And I am confident the Passport can do it flawlessly.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 11:45 PM
    They won't do it, unfortunately. Unlike their android nonsense, BB10 is actually secure. They won't compromise that.

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 11:53 PM
    So, If they unlock it and allow the phones to run other systems, they will compromise the security of the OS?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-17 11:56 PM
    What incentives are there for BlackBerry to reopen the crypt containing BB10 hardware to unlock them?
    07-16-17 12:29 AM
    Nothing !!
    I am just asking about the technical feasibility and whether this action would compromise the current OS.

If this is feasible, with low cost and with no adverse effects on the current users, would not a petition by their loyal customers act as an incentive?!!

If I am in BlackBerry's team and if there is nothing to lose, I would think "why not"!!

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 12:47 AM
    Nothing !!
    I am just asking about the technical feasibility and whether this action would compromise the current OS.

If this is feasible, with low cost and with no adverse effects on the current users, would not a petition by their loyal customers act as an incentive?!!

If I am in BlackBerry's team and if there is nothing to lose, I would think "why not"!!

Posted via CB10
    What would you load on said device, when the hardware requires software to be signed by BlackBerry?
    07-16-17 01:09 AM
    I was thinking about an Android custom rom or possibly the rom loaded on the Priv or Dteks.

Based on your statement that the hardware requires BlackBerry's signature, does this mean that custom roms can't be loaded?

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 01:14 AM
    I was thinking about an Android custom rom or possibly the rom loaded on the Priv or Dteks.

Based on your statement that the hardware requires BlackBerry's signature, does this mean that custom roms can't be loaded?

Posted via CB10
    Correct. Custom roms can't be loaded.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 02:18 AM
    Best hypothetical choice would be PostmarketOS or some other FOSS OS and not Android where you'd run into same problem you have now (dead OS).

https://ollieparanoid.github.io/post/postmarketOS/

But in the end, it doesn't matter. BlackBerry would never hand over the keys. They want you to buy new droids so they get some of those sweet royalties. Allowing you to skip the update treadmill defeats their new mobile business model. So the conversation is pointless until the hardware can be cracked, and by then you'll be dead or the hardware so old you'll forget about it.

Posted via CB10
    07-16-17 04:31 PM
    Haha!!. Good point, BronzeBeard

Posted via CB10
    07-17-17 01:10 AM