You owe me a Nickel

Z10
    10-05-15 09:53 AM
    I think once BlackBerry releases the Priv, BB10 will be maintained only for those who really need it (ie. Government and banks). Even if they sell the 10 million devices Chen says is needed to maintain the hardware section of the business, it's not like developers are going to start making apps for BB10 phones. They will just keep making Android apps because that's what these phones are running.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    10-05-15 10:03 AM
    I am not 100% sure but I am almost positive that carriers don't pay for BB devices in advance nor do they have a minimum. Blackberry doesn't have this type of bargaining power (anymore). BECAUSE of the Z10 (and Q10 and Q5), Blackberry had to change their selling practices and now they sell (or carriers buy) only what is sold to the end user. There is no upfront cost. There is no minimum (except maybe the AT&T exclusive).
    And how sure are you that is what they are doing now....

While I imagine things have changed a lot, and now it's BlackBerry asking and bargaining with Carrier to sell their devices, instead of the Carriers asking to sell them. I don't think BlackBerry or the 3rd party manufactures who are now controlling the inventory are going to be willing to give carriers devices on "consignment".

Now maybe they have relaxed minimum order amounts or how they structure pricing based on volume.... and yeah minimums on exclusive where the hardware is changed (AT&T Passport or any CDMA Device).

As for the PRIV boosting sales.... might be a number of enterprise customers that buy up some spare BB10 devices if they feel their might soon be a shortage of replacement BB10 devices. But that's the only way I see a boost in BB10 sales.
    10-05-15 10:07 AM
    I think once BlackBerry releases the Priv, BB10 will be maintained only for those who really need it (ie. Government and banks). Even if they sell the 10 million devices Chen says is needed to maintain the hardware section of the business, it's not like developers are going to start making apps for BB10 phones. They will just keep making Android apps because that's what these phones are running.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport
    After 10.3.3, BB10 will have the same support as BBOS.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-05-15 10:08 AM
    I'm pretty sure at all of the carrier stores it will be "You have to have a hardware keyboard? OK, here are a couple of phones" and that will be it.It may be the PKB phone that is recommended the most but only for those users. Who knows how many there are out there.
    10-05-15 10:16 AM
    I am not 100% sure but I am almost positive that carriers don't pay for BB devices in advance nor do they have a minimum.
    Actually they do - because BB has to build specific hardware for all of them, and that means the minimum order is going to be the smallest complete production batch size that BB can make (likely around 60k phones). AT&T makes the closest thing to a "world phone" but even their phones use different LTE bands then the international standard, and all the other carriers are much worse in terms of the need to make custom hardware (custom radios & antennas, specifically) for their networks. If a carrier won't pay, then there are no phones for that carrier. It's why, say, only the Q10 works on Sprint, and why AT&T never got a Z30 - they wouldn't agree to order a minimum number of phones to justify BB developing and producing a model for them.
    zlatno likes this.
    10-05-15 08:10 PM
    Since the PRIV became public knowledge, the Passport has been a top 25 seller on Amazons Top 100 unlocked devices. It was even up to #2 at one point.
    10-06-15 06:14 AM
    Since the PRIV became public knowledge, the Passport has been a top 25 seller on Amazons Top 100 unlocked devices. It was even up to #2 at one point.
    And the iphone 6 is currently at 21 and the ZTE Axon pro is number 3.

Posted via CB10
    Polt likes this.
    10-06-15 11:24 AM
    Possibly in either of two scenarios:

1- If it got popular, then it might fix the brand name
    2- if it sells too well that it makes enough cash for BlackBerry to invest more into BlackBerry 10 marketing and development
    zlatno likes this.
    10-06-15 11:28 AM
    But what is the difference in privacy with BlackBerry priv and any other android device.

Posted from my Z30, STA 100 -2.
    10-06-15 12:24 PM
    But what is the difference in privacy with BlackBerry priv and any other android device.
    Probably not much. I'll bet that there's only so much an OEM can do to lock down Android to stop it from telling Google everything you're doing with the device.
    David Tyler likes this.
    10-06-15 12:35 PM
    And the iphone 6 is currently at 21 and the ZTE Axon pro is number 3.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what that is supposed to mean. The Passport was never rated so high among the Best Sellers until recently. Apple 6 had been a Top Seller from the beginning.
    10-07-15 01:43 AM
    Not sure what that is supposed to mean. The Passport was never rated so high among the Best Sellers until recently. Apple 6 had been a Top Seller from the beginning.
    The point is that there is no relation with the list and overall smartphone sales. BlackBerry PKB phones are not selling. The Passport concept is not going to go mainstream.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-15 06:59 AM
    The answer is no. The fact is that BlackBerry isn't going to make anymore BB10 devices to sell anyway. They have stopped moving the platform forward almost a year ago and laid off most of the staff that could move it forward. So they have already built the coffin for the OS. So no matter even if Priv is successful (it won't be anymore successful than BB10), BB10 isn't coming back.
    zlatno likes this.
    10-07-15 07:57 AM
    Probably not much. I'll bet that there's only so much an OEM can do to lock down Android to stop it from telling Google everything you're doing with the device.
    Part of the agreement in using GPS, is that you cannot block information going to Google or stop ads coming from Google. So BlackBerry phones are still a Google ad/tracking platform.
    ssbtech and zlatno like this.
    10-07-15 08:00 AM
    My questions was : Do you think the PRIV (if it sells well) can boost BB10 device sales? Regardless of what Chen wants to do.
    No. Let it go.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    10-08-15 05:34 AM
    The answer is no. The fact is that BlackBerry isn't going to make anymore BB10 devices to sell anyway. They have stopped moving the platform forward almost a year ago and laid off most of the staff that could move it forward. So they have already built the coffin for the OS. So no matter even if Priv is successful (it won't be anymore successful than BB10), BB10 isn't coming back.
    They can't stop making BB10 devices since their government clients require the top security solution. The German Gov't won't buy iPhone and they only buy Android devices that are equipped with Secusmart protection. But to implement Secusmart on every gov't device is too expensive. So they buy BB10 devices.

BB10 can exist as a niche! The longer it exists, there's always a chance that ...
    10-17-15 04:48 AM
    They can't stop making BB10 devices since their government clients require the top security solution. The German Gov't won't buy iPhone and they only buy Android devices that are equipped with Secusmart protection. But to implement Secusmart on every gov't device is too expensive. So they buy BB10 devices.

BB10 can exist as a niche! The longer it exists, there's always a chance that ...
    This issue comes up all the time that the government needs BlackBerry. Can't be sold. Will not let it die. Enterprises are not buying BlackBerry. If they did, then Chen would be bragging about the sales. If this were true, then BlackBerry would be charging a huge amount for their govt destined phones. The market is too small to justify the costs of BB10. This is just Chen spin to obscure the truth that there are too few buyers for the BB10 end to end solution.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-17-15 at 09:11 AM.
    10-17-15 05:06 AM
    You owe me a Nickel

Z10
    10-17-15 05:28 AM
    Enterprises are not buying BlackBerry. If they did, then Chen would be bragging about the sales. If this were true, then BlackBerry would be charging a huge amount for their govt destined phones
    You are under the assumption that Governments replace their phones on a regular basis. I'll bet that like any other business, they probably replace phones every 2 or 3 years. There's probably actually quite a few legacy phones still in government use. When they do eventually need replacing, BlackBerry will have bb10 phones to replace them with.

Posted via CB10
    zlatno likes this.
    10-21-15 08:24 AM
    Nope. Small sample but my government buddies were also offered Samsung and iPhone.

BB10 sales are so low that your faith in government sales must be misplaced.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-22-15 at 08:33 AM.
    10-21-15 10:46 PM

That niche is pretty small, as evidenced by the small number of sales. And not all people in governments require the best security as not all of them handle classified information. Maybe 1 or 2% of people actually do that. For the rest of them and iOS device coupled with an MDM solution is good enough.
    10-22-15 03:43 AM
    BlackBerry 10 sales won't boost no matter with priv sales
    1/ and foremost : Not what is expected/planned, I agree. What I (consensus ?) expect is a kind of "cannibalism" i.e BB10 sales go down as Priv sales go up.

Still, I'd be curious to see how the BB10 devices sales evolves and what correlation (if any) we can make with Priv sales.

Many things can happen, even irrational/unexpected ones.
    Like a BB10 price drop (ok, I do expect that), a sudden fear of BB10 users they can't get the beloved BB10 device of their choice soon and buy a spare one or even some curiosity from Android users, alerted about the "BlackBerry DNA features" being even better on BB10.
    Some (price drop) can lead to a temporary (artificial) bump in sales, some other may lead to unexpected situation J. Chen will have to deal with.
    Not saying that even if BB10 sales increase this will save BB10 devices ... but may delay its EOL.

[all the above pure speculation, thinking out loud, etc : talk]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 11-07-15 at 05:37 AM. Reason: wrong quote
    zlatno likes this.
    11-07-15 05:31 AM
    Still, I'd be curious to see how the BB10 devices sales evolves and what correlation (if any) we can make with Priv sales.

Many things can happen, even irrational/unexpected ones.
    Like a BB10 price drop (ok, I do expect that), a sudden fear of BB10 users they can't get the beloved BB10 device of their choice soon and buy a spare one or even some curiosity from Android users, alerted about the "BlackBerry DNA features" being even better on BB10.
    Some (price drop) can lead to a temporary (artificial) bump in sales, some other may lead to unexpected situation J. Chen will have to deal with.
    Not saying that even if BB10 sales increase this will save BB10 devices ... but may delay its EOL.

[all the above pure speculation, thinking out loud, etc : talk]
    I am not saying that the PRIV can 'save' the BB10 OS. What I think will eventually happen is that BB10 and Android will merge into one Android OS that seems really close to the BB10 experience. But you never know.

BB10's will still be around in the near term. Blackberry will not 'throw away' one million devices sold. If the PRIV becomes a hit (speculation), that can help fix the BlackBerry brand. With better brand recognition, maybe non-app needing customers give one of the BB10 devices a try. OR maybe loving the BlackBerry experience on the Android PRIV, they want to give the original BB10 OS a try and end up loving it even more.

To say that this can't happen is being close minded. I am not saying it will happen, just that anything is possible. Weirder things have happened in the past. I still can't believe that people wait in lines to buy an iPhone.
    11-09-15 02:31 AM
    The hypothetical events that you describe is what I feel is the only way blackberry can become relevant again.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-16 01:48 AM
50 12