I'm going to be migrating my default email to a different POP3 email account. I created the new account in my Q10 and would like to link it to the same Contact List currently being used by the old account. i.e. share the one Contact List between both accounts. Is this possible?

Why:
    My plan is to keep both accounts active for a short period of time, until my friends etc have been notified of the change in my email address. Then I will remove the old account from the Q10, leaving a new default already linked to my existing Contact list. Note that I have *not* yet switched the default setting to the new account, for fear of losing the Contact list entirely.

Am I going about this correctly, or is there a better/safer way?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted via my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.1.0.4189
    02-12-14 04:34 AM
    I have two e-mail accounts on my Z10, a yahoo account and ymail. I use the contacts and calendar from the Yahoo account and only the e-mail from the Ymail account and the ymail account is the default e-mail account. I have no problem using the yahoo contacts in the ymail account when composing an e-mail.

Is this roughly what you are planning to do?
    02-12-14 06:57 AM
    Thank you for replying, Hamilton Guy. You're talking about your contacts & calendar stored on the phone and not on Yahoo's web server, right? In that case, then yes, that's close to what I'm describing. If you were to then delete the Yahoo account from the phone, would the ymail account still be able to use Yahoo's Contacts without having to sync them from a webserver first? (I don't keep my POP3 account addressbooks online at all. )

I have two e-mail accounts on my Z10, a yahoo account and ymail. I use the contacts and calendar from the Yahoo account and only the e-mail from the Ymail account and the ymail account is the default e-mail account. I have no problem using the yahoo contacts in the ymail account when composing an e-mail.

Is this roughly what you are planning to do?

02-12-14 07:22 AM
    Thank you for replying, Hamilton Guy. You're talking about your contacts & calendar stored on the phone and not on Yahoo's web server, right? In that case, then yes, that's close to what I'm describing.
    Yes the ymail account accesses the yahoo account contacts on the phone.

If you were to then delete the Yahoo account from the phone, would the ymail account still be able to use Yahoo's Contacts without having to sync them from a webserver first? (I don't keep my POP3 account addressbooks online at all. )
    When you delete the Yahoo account, mail and calendar from the phone, you would have to leave the contacts installed. The ymail account should still access them. You say you don't keep the POP3 account address book on line, in which cas how does your account access it?
    02-12-14 12:09 PM
    Unless forced to while traveling without a computer of some sort, I don't use webmail. My main addressbook is on my PC's POP client, and backed up to an external drive as well. I don't have to access it from my phone because I created a Contact list on my phone of just those people I'm likely to call when I am mobile.

So how would I leave the contacts installed, if I delete the original email account that accessed them - will I get asked if I want to keep them? (I looked all over BlackBerry's KB for instructions, but the only references I found were for the old BBOS and not BB10.)

Yes the ymail account accesses the yahoo account contacts on the phone.

When you delete the Yahoo account, mail and calendar from the phone, you would have to leave the contacts installed. The ymail account should still access them. You say you don't keep the POP3 account address book on line, in which cas how does your account access it?

02-12-14 04:20 PM
    Maybe we are talking different things here. I meant that my ymail account has e-mail, contacts and calendar. I only have the e-mail installed on my Z10, whereas my yahoo account has all three installed. I could delete the Yahoo e-mail and leave the contacts and calendar installed on my Z10. When I compose an e-mail in Ymail then it will access the Yahoo contacts list.
    Your contacts list on the Z10 have to come from somewhere and that somewhere has to be able to be loaded onto your Z10.
    02-12-14 06:57 PM
    If your worried download the Intouch App Contacts app and backup all your contacts.

Posted via my Z10 STL100-3 running on 10.2.1.1925
    Last edited by Qrackin; 02-12-14 at 10:01 PM.
    02-12-14 07:14 PM
    The contacts on my phone came from me entering them by hand. I didn't want to import my entire home database onto my phone, so I added people manually, as I needed to. I'm trying to avoid doing that again - I'd like to keep the contacts I entered, and simply use them with a different email address after I delete the first one.

Maybe we are talking different things here. I meant that my ymail account has e-mail, contacts and calendar. I only have the e-mail installed on my Z10, whereas my yahoo account has all three installed. I could delete the Yahoo e-mail and leave the contacts and calendar installed on my Z10. When I compose an e-mail in Ymail then it will access the Yahoo contacts list.
    Your contacts list on the Z10 have to come from somewhere and that somewhere has to be able to be loaded onto your Z10.

02-12-14 09:49 PM
    The contacts on my phone came from me entering them by hand. I didn't want to import my entire home database onto my phone, so I added people manually, as I needed to. I'm trying to avoid doing that again - I'd like to keep the contacts I entered, and simply use them with a different email address after I delete the first one.
    Ah that makes sense now. If you have keyed them into your phone, they should be independent of any e-mail account unless the contacts list that you keyed them into was the list for an e-mail account (the Yahoo account to use our example) then they would be lost when you delete that account. If that is the case you could copy the contacts to your SIM card (presuming your carrier uses a SIM card) to keep them permanently.

Alternatively put them in favourites contact list, but I don't believe that you can mass copy to that list, you may have to key them in one by one.
    02-13-14 06:27 AM
    Thank you - that sets my mind at ease. The list I keyed them into was just whatever came up when I clicked the Contacts icon on my phone. Nothing was imported from another list, and most of the time I use the list for phoning or texting.

My phone does have a SIM card, but I'm told it is only used for travelling into areas my carrier (Verizon) doesn't cover. I do have an SD card, however.

Thanks again - I'll post again when I've deleted the old email and let you know what happens!

Ah that makes sense now. If you have keyed them into your phone, they should be independent of any e-mail account unless the contacts list that you keyed them into was the list for an e-mail account (the Yahoo account to use our example) then they would be lost when you delete that account. If that is the case you could copy the contacts to your SIM card (presuming your carrier uses a SIM card) to keep them permanently.

Alternatively put them in favourites contact list, but I don't believe that you can mass copy to that list, you may have to key them in one by one.

02-13-14 08:22 PM