Now that BlackBerry has announced EOL for legacy services (Jan 2022), those of us still using BBOS, PlayBook and BB10 devices can relax in the short run, and make plans for the longer term.

Do you expect to still be using BB10 through the end of 2021, and what will you do after the EOL date, when we won't be ble to count on BBID or the BlackBerry World?

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    rarsen likes this.
    09-23-20 12:24 PM
    Now that BlackBerry has announced EOL for legacy services (Jan 2022), those of us still using BBOS, PlayBook and BB10 devices can relax in the short run, and make plans for the longer term.

Do you expect to still be using BB10 through the end of 2021, and what will you do after the EOL date, when we won't be ble to count on BBID or the BlackBerry World?

Yea but not for a phone. I get some use out of the qr and bar code reader. Makes a nice music player and usb drive too. Maybe check out the dev tools and IDE a bit more. I thought we could forward the port from a router to restore the interpreter to the web inspector on a pc, that would be nice.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-20 01:15 PM

Will keep using my Red BlackBerry Passport until the end....whenever that date will be since it keeps changing all the time lol.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-20 01:32 PM
    So, no BB World after that date then....
    09-23-20 01:36 PM
    So, no BB World after that date then....
    That's right. No BBID = no BBW.
    09-23-20 01:52 PM
    What about device's not yet turned on. I have a few devices still in a sealed box. If I turn them on after this date will they be stuck on the 'checking for updates' screen? Would there be a way around this?

Posted via CB10
    09-23-20 02:09 PM
    What about device's not yet turned on. I have a few devices still in a sealed box. If I turn them on after this date will they be stuck on the 'checking for updates' screen? Would there be a way around this?

Posted via CB10
    To be safe, activate them all
    09-23-20 02:12 PM

Posted via CB10
    To be honest, the end date is quite a ways off yet, and we don't know what BlackBerry plans on doing between now and then. I highly doubt that they'd let all BB10 devices just turn into bricks.

Posted via CB10
    rarsen likes this.
    09-23-20 02:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    If the BBID validation and BlackBerry World servers are offline, you would never be able to create/log in to a BlackBerry ID so could not check for updates. But you could use an autoloader to update the phones.

rarsen likes this.
    09-23-20 02:20 PM
    I plan on using my Passport in 2021 as my prime device. I just basically need a phone/text/email device anyway so I still prefer that on my Passport over my android devices (have 2). I don't even do any banking anymore on my phones so now that I'm retired my needs are almost dumbphone-like. Near the end of 2021, I will disable protect and wipe the device etc but I'll probably do that on my tester Z10 first as a trial run. If the devices do not work after that, then that's the end. Recently I purchased a battery for the Passport but I've still not installed it (keeping it in cool storage). Unbelievably after 6 years and well over 1200 cycles, I am still getting more than a full day (typically I have 30-40% left at bedtime). The longevity really just blows my mind.

In 2021, if and when OM does release a device, I will certainly look at it but it will have to be a similar form factor (that is NOT tall) as a Passport if I will purchase it. Otherwise i'll continue on with it or my smaller android devices.
    09-23-20 02:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    Either sell them now as brand new sealed devices (they'd be worth more that way) or, if you want to keep them past 2022, then before the server shutdown just get past the initial setup WITHOUT a BBID, and then do all the updates.
    Then, when the deadline comes, you should be good to go.
    09-23-20 02:46 PM
    Either sell them now as brand new sealed devices (they'd be worth more that way) or, if you want to keep them past 2022, then before the server shutdown just get past the initial setup WITHOUT a BBID, and then do all the updates.
    Then, when the deadline comes, you should be good to go.
    Good idea, Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-20 02:57 PM
    All the way down the line.
    Afterwards, I expect I'll get a Libre phone and put up with it.

•<[{ BlackBerry Passport SE }]>•
    09-23-20 08:23 PM
    Bah! I still expect to be running my 9900 until they blow up the BIS servers.

I honestly don't know what I'll do. I do not see anything I really like. I've got a pack of other devices ready to temporarily take over duties if my BlackBerry devices do become bricks.

Maybe I'll try to get my hands on a Sailfish phone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    anon(10512033) likes this.
    09-23-20 09:01 PM
    I've been using my Z30 since 2015 and still love it so much!

Previously had android and got tired of having the phones slowed down to a crawl from the never ending updates. Got a dtek50 in 2018 to try the android experience again and to at least have access to working popular apps...it is still a mess of an OS. It's so clunky. Apps don't start right away sometimes, random lag, apps freezing the whole phone, battery drain, etc. Might be better with high end phones. And I might try the android 10 just for the gestures.

I intend to keep using the Z30 for a long time still. The flow is so satisfying. The phone never freezes ever. Heck, I rarely even restart it. I go for an average of 3-4 months before restarting. It is so stable I still can't believe it. Even if the browser is slow, has anyone noticed that it has been faster in the last 2 years? It's as if websites are way less bloated and much better made for mobiles, including BB10 phones. There were so many websites that wouldn't load back in 2017-2018 but that now works decent enough to be usable. The reader mode can also save a lot of trouble.

Ex. The air canada app was not working before and couldnt even access the website. Now, I can just checkin straight from the website without issues (besides long load times xD).

I recall that 2 or 3 years ago, companies were looking for an alternative to app stores to stop paying google and apple, that mobile websites were going to become the norm. Is this what is happening?

Posted via CB10
    09-24-20 12:04 AM
    Gonna use all my BlackBerry OS10 devices one by one after the last of them may finally die because of the batteries.
    But it looks good so far.. to keep going even throughout 2025.
    And yes my Z10 and Z30 from 2013 are still usable too, no issues with any of the batteries at all, as well as my 1st Classic from 2014 that is only put to rest because the 3.5mm jack is worn out...

My main BlackBerry Classic No.2 as daily driver was put in action 1st in 2016 as far I can recall it.. and that one still doesn't show any sign of ware at all, running smoothly all the way.. nevertheless.. in case that main Classic does packup eventually there is already another cloned BlackBerry Classic already sitting there brand new which is only powered up for being part of my monthly backup to actually push the latest changes from the daily driver Classic to that spare device...
    On top of that.. a BlackBerry Passport activated in 2016 too, sitting there as well for the same purpose as a backup device or if I fancy using the larger screen...

Got all the needed app's installed for what I'm using this devices for, and I can't see any point why I should waste any money on any fancy modern, data sucking bling slapper from this other remaining two yank manufacturers dominated OS around this day's which in my view have never been what I wanted anyway... that's why I turned my hands on to the BlackBerry OS10.

Put it like that... if you don't want to watch TV all day.. being infested and pestered by junk and permanent advertising.. just don't buy one... and live turning out much more relaxed and easy going.. the same applies to mobiles too...

So instead of carrying around a data collecting sucker all day instead, just rocking my BlackBerry OS10 and enjoy my day what ever hype is being chased around the streets ;-)

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    Last edited by BB-nomade; 09-24-20 at 05:18 AM.
    Michele W likes this.
    09-24-20 04:39 AM
    Another big reason to keep on rocking all my BlackBerry devices is because all my 3rd party mobile ecosystem added over the years working seamlessly with any of the BlackBerry OS10 devices, regardless if used on a single basic or in crossover.. all works flawless.

My 3rd party aftermarket special office ecosystem replaces even a PC to great extents, as follows:

BlackBerry BT Stereo-Gateway
    BlackBerry SlimPort HDMI dongle
    NetGear HDMI receiver dongle for external Screens
    Bluetooth In-Ear Headset: Sennheiser Presence
    Bluetooth Speekerphone: Sennheiser SP30
    Bluetooth touch-Mouse: Logitech Ultrathin
    Bluetooth keyboard: 1byOne pocket-sized
    Cordage Headset: Sennheiser Momentum M2 OEi
    Cordage Headset: Sennheiser Momentum M2 IEi
    WiFi-HUB router: RAVPower AC750 Wifi Travel Router
    Anker PowerPort 6-ports 60W QC2
    Anker PowerDrive+1 24W QC3
    Anker PowerPort+1 18W QC3
    uGreen PowerPort+2 36W QC3
    Anker PowerCore+ 46W QC3 13400mAh
    Anker UltraSlim 4-port USB-3 HUB
    Several USB-HD: WD Passport ultra + WD Elements

Add a bunch of standard cable and all works perfectly.

But the best of it is a special treat:
    Using some Pro-audio kit for clean recording sound, making use of the BlackBerry devices camera as YT and Audio production kit too:

iRigPRE (cheap handheld preamp)
    Marantz PMD-602A camera preamp
    Marantz PMD-661 MK3 recorder
    Mackie 402VLZ4 mixer
    Sennheiser K6 / ME64 + ME66 + MKE2-60 condenser mic's
    AKG P120 studio condenser mic
    Electro-Voice RE50B handheld dynamic mic
    Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro 250ohm studio headset

Yep that's right, all that kit can be hooked up with several BlackBerry devices at once and be used in conjunction!

So this actually thrown all together makes my BlackBerry setup pretty much a pocket sized production kit for almost every needs, adding the few essential app's and there isn't anything you couldn't do with this setup.
    Lot's of the capabilities that have been included with the OS10 since 2013 and improved with the later updates is still unmatched even with the latest iOS14 which still can't even manage ordinary NFC tags this day's, but BlackBerry OS10 got it all... ;-P

So why should I change to a different OS?
    No point changing a to different brands or system...

BlackBerry rocks even if it is declared EOL for the support, other Android devices for instant don't even had any updates at all and been EOL much faster, and if it's coming to the flashy Apple iOS... they brake there own system just by doing a regular update so your ecosystem with the devices render unusable... "on purpose" to force their sheep's to spend even more on a slightly polished so called newer model with even lesser compatibility's to the previous ecosystem... just a con, beyond a joke really... ;-)

BlackBerry OS10 did never let me down so far ;-)

 Classic  Passport  OS10.3.3.3216
    Last edited by BB-nomade; 09-24-20 at 08:38 AM.
    Michele W likes this.
    09-24-20 07:12 AM
    That's right. No BBID = no BBW.
    Yes ok, but if you do remove protect and BB ID , when you set up the phone again, you won't be able to download apps from BBW, because you won't have access to it anymore. Would a full backup prior to that maybe help?
    09-24-20 09:13 AM
    Yes ok, but if you do remove protect and BB ID , when you set up the phone again, you won't be able to download apps from BBW, because you won't have access to it anymore. Would a full backup prior to that maybe help?
    I don't know if you can backup without bbid for security purposes.
    09-24-20 09:15 AM
    I don't know if you can backup without bbid for security purposes.
    I meant, backup before removing bbid....
    09-24-20 09:20 AM
    I meant, backup before removing bbid....
    BBID and password are the security to make sure anything in the backup will only work with said account. So, in theory, if you backup with bbid enabled, wipe phone and start without bbid, I don't think you can access the backup. I could be wrong though. Sideloaded apps could be treated differently for example.
    09-24-20 09:30 AM
    Assume that BlackBerry World will be shut down, as well, so you won't have access to it anyway.
    09-24-20 09:32 AM
    There really seems to not be one single solution that will allow the user to retain a backup AND be free from BB servers which will shut down.

Better to end up with a BB10 device that can only get Android apk's, than a bricked device because the BBID servers shut down.
    09-24-20 10:58 AM
    There really seems to not be one single solution that will allow the user to retain a backup AND be free from BB servers which will shut down.

Better to end up with a BB10 device that can only get Android apk's, than a bricked device because the BBID servers shut down.
    You can still sideload native apps without a BBID, but you do need to have that initial setup thing done - which requires a connection to BB servers.
    So as you said before, disable BB Protect, remove your BBID, wipe the device, run the initial setup and you should remain on wheels.
    09-24-20 11:28 AM
    Personally, I'll be running my BB10 phones stock without any 3rd party apps when the time comes. I've never had a good experience running APKs. Too many performance and battery issues with the Android Runtime, and I care too much about security to run ANY 7 year old Android apps unless they are open source and reviewed by an analyst I know and trust.!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB &gt; iOS + Android
    Michele W likes this.
    09-24-20 11:34 AM
59 123