No but maybe you can backup your data using some Android app or other ways than with BB's system, so that you can still use the hardware after January 2022.

Hopefully Onward's device will entice BB10 holdouts so they don't even need to though.
    "...entice BB10 holdouts"? It's very, very unlikely that those of us who preferred BB10 over the KEY phones will get excited about another Android version of the BlackBerry experience. The main differences with the KEY phones compared to BB10 were the larger rectangular screens and Android. I don't thing OM is going to offer a square screen on a different OS.

Honestly, the KEY phones were very well designed and built, and I think almost every single BlackBerry fan who wanted an Android phone bought one and enjoyed it. Sure, some wanted higher end hardware, but those aren't the people holding on to their BB10 phones!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    09-29-20 12:26 AM
    "...entice BB10 holdouts"? It's very, very unlikely that those of us who preferred BB10 over the KEY phones will get excited about another Android version of the BlackBerry experience. The main differences with the KEY phones compared to BB10 were the larger rectangular screens and Android. I don't thing OM is going to offer a square screen on a different OS.

Honestly, the KEY phones were very well designed and built, and I think almost every single BlackBerry fan who wanted an Android phone bought one and enjoyed it. Sure, some wanted higher end hardware, but those aren't the people holding on to their BB10 phones!

The KEY phones had their share of QC issues, and look fairly generic compared to the BB Classic and the like.

The worst thing about them, design wise, are those stupid capacitive navigation buttons.

And yes once 3G shuts down in the US next year and the approaching BB deadline, hopefully OM's device will appeal to most BB10 holdouts that just weren't swayed by TCL's offerings, whatever the reason may be. As long as that reason isn't simply Android. And even then, OM's phone will most likely launch with A11, meaning they can have a closer experience to BB10 with the gestures.
    09-29-20 07:10 AM
    The KEY phones had their share of QC issues, and look fairly generic compared to the BB Classic and the like.

The worst thing about them, design wise, are those stupid capacitive navigation buttons.

And yes once 3G shuts down in the US next year and the approaching BB deadline, hopefully OM's device will appeal to most BB10 holdouts that just weren't swayed by TCL's offerings, whatever the reason may be. As long as that reason isn't simply Android. And even then, OM's phone will most likely launch with A11, meaning they can have a closer experience to BB10 with the gestures.
    I agree that Android 11 holds the promise of improvements in gestures and notifications. But if they are expecting to profit from the last few BB10 users, it's a bad business model. IMO, either this device finds a niche in Enterprise as an alternative to BYOD or it doesn't stand a chance.

Fundamentally they need to find a profitable niche that will buy a few million phones a year at a premium price ($100-150 per device?) over the equivalent hardware from Samsung. If they can't do that, they really won't have a profitable business because they will never get the economies of scale that Samsung has.

09-29-20 07:31 AM
    I agree that Android 11 holds the promise of improvements in gestures and notifications. But if they are expecting to profit from the last few BB10 users, it's a bad business model. IMO, either this device finds a niche in Enterprise as an alternative to BYOD or it doesn't stand a chance.

Fundamentally they need to find a profitable niche that will buy a few million phones a year at a premium price ($100-150 per device?) over the equivalent hardware from Samsung. If they can't do that, they really won't have a profitable business because they will never get the economies of scale that Samsung has.

If OM finds a way to satisfy Enterprise using a $25/month SAF model like the old BBOS model showing benefits over Traditional Android or BBAndroid, would that interest you? To me, that’s better than $100-$150 premium and supports ongoing software development.
    09-29-20 07:55 AM
    If OM finds a way to satisfy Enterprise using a $25/month SAF model like the old BBOS model showing benefits over Traditional Android or BBAndroid, would that interest you? To me, that’s better than $100-$150 premium and supports ongoing software development.
    That's 10x better, especially if that includes a comprehensive security solution. Of course any good security solution will also break many consumer apps!

09-29-20 08:01 AM
    But if they are expecting to profit from the last few BB10 users, it's a bad business model. IMO, either this device finds a niche in Enterprise as an alternative to BYOD or it doesn't stand a chance.
    Agreed. I'm using a BB10 device because I like the OS and simplicity of the device. I have no problem checking out a new android offering but just because it has a BB logo on it, I'm not going to rush out and buy it. It HAS to fit my usage case, feel good in my hand and have certain characteristics that I want. I checked out the Key devices but just rejected them. They were not for me (pkb's are NOT the be all and end all for me). I treat any phone now that has a BB logo on it just as I would any other android device.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-29-20 01:13 PM
    In 2021, if and when OM does release a device, I will certainly look at it but it will have to be a similar form factor (that is NOT tall) as a Passport if I will purchase it. Otherwise i'll continue on with it or my smaller android devices.
    Same here. If it looks like anything like a K1/2 you can count on me using the passport until the wheels come off. The form factor is a head turner and frankly, one of the major reasons it's my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    truth4u and Michele W like this.
    10-29-20 05:34 PM
    Same here. If it looks like anything like a K1/2 you can count on me using the passport until the wheels come off. The form factor is a head turner and frankly, one of the major reasons it's my daily driver.

Posted via CB10
    Any PKB phone is a head turner at this point. A KEY2 attracts as much attention as a Passport.
    10-29-20 08:05 PM
    Any PKB phone is a head turner at this point. A KEY2 attracts as much attention as a Passport.
    The Fxtec ProX1 is a PKB and I'm not certain I'd be calling it a head turner. It's merely retrotech gussied up for modern usage. Hardly innovative imo.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-20 12:18 PM
59 123