I seem to have found a solution with the Vonage Android app. I have been searching for a solution to this issue, and had not been able to find anything that actually lets me call out using my Google Voice number (with that number showing up on the caller ID) over wifi. Had no luck getting Hangouts to run. Talkatone isn't compatible with calling out on GV either. I finally found, buried in some CB forum, where someone mentioned using the Vonage app. I first tried getting it to work with my cell number, and it appears to let me call out using my cell number over wifi without using minutes.

I then tried it using my Google Voice number, and that appears to work as well. I don't know how they seem to be the only one that offers this. I suspect voodoo is at play.

I have always been able to receive GV calls straight to my phone (not through the Vonage app). I can also receive GV texts straight to my phone. But figured there wasn't a solution to calling out using my GV number. (I guess you could call your GV number from your cell phone, but that's complicated and uses up cell minutes.)

To send out texts using your GV number, you still have to use the Android GV app. (Although I'm able to receive GV texts straight to my phone, but if I reply it uses my actual cell number.) This is a nice option for those of us on the $30 T-mobile prepaid plan.

If anyone out there has a better solution that I haven't come across, please let me know.
    03-13-15 04:44 PM
    I just use the GV website to call numbers - works fine for me
    03-13-15 05:02 PM
    I guess the website would be a better option for those with baby fingers, super-human eyesight and the patience to open up a web browser and wait for it to load up every time you want to make a call.
    03-14-15 01:58 PM
    I've been using spare phone to make calls using my BlackBerry Z10 for months works great on wifi and 4G

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 12:45 AM