I can't live without the calendar... what is this growing number that you guys keep talking about? I can't see it in the old or new calendar.

What side bars are you referring to?

Posted via CB10
    On 10.2 you could see at a glance of Month view what days/weeks were busier than others. The font of the date would grow as the day was busier. So, if you had 5 appointments taking up 9 hours on the 10th, and 2 appointments taking up two hours on the 21st, the font of the "10" would be much bigger than the font of the "21". You also got bands on the side of the days indicating how long the appointments were.

Now whether you have one 15 minute appointment on a day or six 60 minute appointments you just get a single dot. You have no idea, without drilling in further, what days are busier than others.

So, practical example. I travel a lot to various cities and often have to find two to three day blocks for trips. On the 10.2 calendar, I could do this with the month view. At a quick glance I could see where I had "small" numbers without a lot of appointments or time booked, vs "big" numbers with a lot of time booked. Now, on 10.3.1, all I see are the same dots and squares on every day. Useless.

Posted via CB10
    Lag_Fisher likes this.
    03-11-15 07:30 AM
    You people must be joking. Sorry, but it is just unbelievable that you would put this much effort into complaining about the Calendar. If you spent 10% of that time just learning the layout you would be able to use it incredibly efficiently.

What are your "needs"? Growing numbers? Bars instead of dots? Complaining about month view? Serious? None of that helps you become more productive, the only thing you can do is show off to your co workers.
    "Hey look how busy my schedule is, lol, the number is so big o m g!"

Like you don't know how busy your day is going to be without a variable number size?

And speaking of month view, who in their right mind uses that as the default when they say they want to keep on top of their appointments? BlackBerry 10 offers a wide range of option to keep track of your daily schedule:

- at the top of the Hub you can see your upcoming events.
    - the Calendar Active Frame shows upcoming events, Remembers A.F. shows Tasks.
    - the Month/Agenda view both offer an overview of upcoming daily appointments similar to your demands/the Hub.
    - the colours show which Calendar it is, the shape shows All-day or Timed.
    - Tasks and alarms can be set from the Calendar now.
    - any detailed information/location info can be directly opened from the Calendar/Reminder toast.

Can they bring back the variable numbers? Sure but it wouldn't add anything useful. Can they bring back the bars? Sure but when using many calendars you just end up with a useless overlapping bar on every day, not useful.

Again seriously what is your complaint? Not being able to show others how busy and random your Calendar looks? Ridiculous. The examples here from so called "power user" barely have anything on the schedule at all. And the alternatives shown look incredibly outdated and confusing.

BlackBerry Passport signed @ Nintendo Social BBM Channel @ C001221B2
    03-11-15 08:05 AM
    Well depends on how you use the calendar.. how smart were growing numbers? They are perfect for people who don't like dots or lines in a day.. or do shift work on rotation.

But dots are much better, I mean it's more ios like so good move..

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 08:11 AM
    You people must be joking. Sorry, but it is just unbelievable that you would put this much effort into complaining about the Calendar. If you spent 10% of that time just learning the layout you would be able to use it incredibly efficiently.

What are your "needs"? Growing numbers? Bars instead of dots? Complaining about month view? Serious? None of that helps you become more productive, the only thing you can do is show off to your co workers.

Like you don't know how busy your day is going to be without a variable number size?

And speaking of month view, who in their right mind uses that as the default when they say they want to keep on top of their appointments? BlackBerry 10 offers a wide range of option to keep track of your daily schedule:

- the Month/Agenda view both offer an overview of upcoming daily appointments similar to your demands/the Hub.
    - any detailed information/location info can be directly opened from the Calendar/Reminder toast.

Can they bring back the variable numbers? Sure but it wouldn't add anything useful. Can they bring back the bars? Sure but when using many calendars you just end up with a useless overlapping bar on every day, not useful.

Again seriously what is your complaint? Not being able to show others how busy and random your Calendar looks? Ridiculous. The examples here from so called "power user" barely have anything on the schedule at all. And the alternatives shown look incredibly outdated and confusing.

What Blackberry phone did you use before the Passport?

CB on Q10
    03-11-15 08:16 AM
    Well depends on how you use the calendar.. how smart were growing numbers? They are perfect for people who don't like dots or lines in a day.. or do shift work on rotation.

But dots are much better, I mean it's more ios like so good move..

Posted via CB10
    So being more like iOS is a good move now for Blackberry?

CB on Q10
    03-11-15 08:17 AM

Here's my calendar of the last month. Tell me what the busiest week is?

Is the Calendar going to be fixed or changed, its currently horrible.-img_20150311_100958.png

Impossible to tell. If I have to go out of town for a few days anytime in the next few weeks, I have to drill down to the details of each week to actually see anything useful. The point is this view is now useless where before it was many people's main view. If you don't work in an environment where this is needed, then yeah, great neato, dots.

By the way, the busiest week as the week of March 1st with the busiest days being the 4th and 5th (12+ hours of scheduled meetings/calls each day). 10.2 would have allowed me to see that, 10.3.1 does not. On 10.2 if I got a call a couple weeks earlier about going out of town in the next couple weeks, I would know at a glance that the week of the 1st was very bad. On 10.3.1, no idea without drilling in further. Same for scheduling a lunch, or a sales meeting, or a call, or anything.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 09:14 AM
    On 10.2 you could see at a glance of Month view what days/weeks were busier than others. The font of the date would grow as the day was busier. So, if you had 5 appointments taking up 9 hours on the 10th, and 2 appointments taking up two hours on the 21st, the font of the "10" would be much bigger than the font of the "21". You also got bands on the side of the days indicating how long the appointments were.

Now whether you have one 15 minute appointment on a day or six 60 minute appointments you just get a single dot. You have no idea, without drilling in further, what days are busier than others.

So, practical example. I travel a lot to various cities and often have to find two to three day blocks for trips. On the 10.2 calendar, I could do this with the month view. At a quick glance I could see where I had "small" numbers without a lot of appointments or time booked, vs "big" numbers with a lot of time booked. Now, on 10.3.1, all I see are the same dots and squares on every day. Useless.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks, I get what you guys mean by the growing numbers now. I'm not sure if it will help me to be more productive.

I still have one dot per appointment in my calendar & that is sufficient for me. To me I feel that the details again more important than the growing numbers & the amount of dots coz that's when I know what time & when I have available for an additional appointment on any particular day to set that appointment with the client.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 12:56 PM

I still have one dot per appointment in my calendar & that is sufficient for me.

Posted via CB10
    I think that's the misunderstanding. If I had "one dot per appointment" it would be less of an issue. As it stands, I have one dot whether I have 1 appointment or 8 on that calendar for that day. If you look at the image I posted above, on March 4th, I had 7 appointments/meetings on that calendar - yet... 1 dot. If there were 7 dots, it would be a different story.
    03-11-15 01:10 PM

+100000000!!

Nuff said.

Pasaporte Pilipinas | SQW100-1/10.3.1.2480
    03-11-15 01:10 PM
    Have a look at Fantastical - it puts the BB10 calender to shame

Posted via CB10
    It has 1 or 2 places where it can improve, but it's definitely a "fantastic" calendar

BlackBerry should definitely look at that app for "inspiration"

After the huge negative response to the 10.3 calendar. I thought they would be changing it in 10.3.1 but nope. Chen & BlackBerry has made a lot of changes to BB10 (like removing the squircle) after "listening to users" but I don't know WHERE they get some of these users that they listen to because they don't seem to be from CB.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 03:25 PM

Couldn't disagree more.

The growing numbers paired with the side bars showed me everything on one look.

Let's say I had an appointment at 8am to 9am and the next at 12pm to 2pm, and then an appointment at 4 pm to 5pm.
    The side bar will show a little bar at the top, then a gap under it, and then a slightly bigger bar followed buy a gap and then a little bar again.
    So this shows an overview of when my appointments are and that I have a "break" in between. The bigger number shows me that this day is busier than the others. So on one look I know everything what I want to know.

The showing off part would only be correct when you say that this system of growing numbers paired with side bars is just amazing and you want people to know BlackBerry as an efficient device and maybe convert them.

Now the new dot system.

There is one dot next to each number (which are the same size). That doesn't tell me anything.

It could be one appointment, two, three, all after each other or with breaks... it is just not good for having an overview of the month.
    This new calendar is embarrassing and it just isn't as efficient as the 10.2.1 calendar.

It would be really nice if they could implement the ability to choose the option of either "dots and same-size numbers" or "growing numbers and side bars" (let's call it classic)

deltact likes this.
    03-11-15 05:42 PM
    Well I'm very happy with it!

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 06:16 PM
    I dunno, seems like an improvement on dots.

Sent via Tapatalk
    MOHR DOTS..........................
    Sorry had to be said.
    03-11-15 06:36 PM
    Let's say I had an appointment at 8am to 9am and the next at 12pm to 2pm, and then an appointment at 4 pm to 5pm.
    The side bar will show a little bar at the top, then a gap under it, and then a slightly bigger bar followed buy a gap and then a little bar again.
    So this shows an overview of when my appointments are and that I have a "break" in between. The bigger number shows me that this day is busier than the others. So on one look I know everything what I want to know.
    I made great use of this feature yesterday. The dental office called me because I had not made an appointment for the usual six month cleaning. I put her on hold, tapped on the Calendar active frame, putting me back on Month View. I knew that Monday and Wednesday afternoons are best for me, so I take a quick glance over these days in March to check for two things. 1) If there are cancelled classes, allowing me to take an earlier appointment. Yes, my classes do get cancelled not infrequently. This was not a relevant factor this time. 2) If I have rescheduled classes or other events in the afternoon or evening. In this case, I am left with the 23rd, 30th or 1st. I have determined this information in a few seconds with no additional taps or drill-downs, as per this screenshot of my current calendar.

Is the Calendar going to be fixed or changed, its currently horrible.-img_20150311_210733.png

The secretary tells me there are no spots on the 23rd, so she puts me down on 30th. I then add in the appointment after hanging up and I'm done.

If there is an equally efficient method of doing this in 10.3.1, please do share.

Posted via CB10 on Passport.
    pbeasley and jdesignz like this.
    03-11-15 08:15 PM
    So being more like iOS is a good move now for Blackberry?

CB on Q10
    Sorry, hard to get sarcasm through in text.. BlackBerry was in the right direction in 10.2 calendar.. not so much in 10.3

Posted via CB10
    Lag_Fisher likes this.
    03-11-15 09:12 PM
    Sorry, hard to get sarcasm through in text.. BlackBerry was in the right direction in 10.2 calendar.. not so much in 10.3

Posted via CB10
    Good point. Not all experienced the 10.2 calendar that's why it is quite difficult for these people to understand where we are coming from. If I'm not mistaken they started with the Passport or Classic which had 10.3 calendar as default. Most of those who are complaning are using Z or Q.

CB on Q10
    03-11-15 11:01 PM
    I have a lot of problems with the appearance of 10.3.1 (apps included), but the problem with design is that it's subjective. Unless BB allows users to override their (BB's) design decisions with extensive custom themes, this is always going to be an issue, and I doubt they'll find the motivation/time/resources/etc to do it. This is obviously not a problem exclusive to BlackBerry, but I don't deal with the other platforms so they don't concern me.
    Lag_Fisher likes this.
    03-12-15 12:37 AM
    I made great use of this feature yesterday. The dental office called me because I had not made an appointment for the usual six month cleaning. I put her on hold, tapped on the Calendar active frame, putting me back on Month View. I knew that Monday and Wednesday afternoons are best for me, so I take a quick glance over these days in March to check for two things. 1) If there are cancelled classes, allowing me to take an earlier appointment. Yes, my classes do get cancelled not infrequently. This was not a relevant factor this time. 2) If I have rescheduled classes or other events in the afternoon or evening. In this case, I am left with the 23rd, 30th or 1st. I have determined this information in a few seconds with no additional taps or drill-downs, as per this screenshot of my current calendar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150311_210733.png 
Views:	433 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	340527

The secretary tells me there are no spots on the 23rd, so she puts me down on 30th. I then add in the appointment after hanging up and I'm done.

If there is an equally efficient method of doing this in 10.3.1, please do share.

I'm so jealous! If there just was a way to get that calendar onto 10.3.1.

03-12-15 03:07 AM
    Someone asked what I used before: a Q10. And I did like the old Calendar app, it just don't have any issues using the changed UI.

And you know what? For light users, Bars could be seen as an improvement, as the screenshot above shows. But one issue here is that when you have many calendars, with overlapping stuff, the Bars View will quickly become useless! Growing Numbers likewise, they are only useful to light users. Users with incredibly complex schedules (like jonty) are dreaming if they think the Bars/GN views would still remain intuitive.
    The "impressive" month view example above (by deltact) has 1! calendar on it, and would have been equally understandable with the new UI.
    (For your information: from your anecdote I tried looking at your calendar and I have no idea how you came to your conclusion about what day was best for you...)

The app is designed for heavy users, with many calendars, and for them it makes sense to choose an UI that works equally well in all situations. Which the Dot/Square view does!

And if you want a quick overview of free time, use Agenda View! That's what it is designed to do, quickly show you possible times to schedule a new appointment! And it does.

03-12-15 11:21 AM
    And you know what? For light users, Bars could be seen as an improvement, as the screenshot above shows. But one issue here is that when you have many calendars, with overlapping stuff, the Bars View will quickly become useless! Growing Numbers likewise, they are only useful to light users. Users with incredibly complex schedules (like jonty) are dreaming if they think the Bars/GN views would still remain intuitive.
    The "impressive" month view example above (by deltact) has 1! calendar on it, and would have been equally understandable with the new UI.
    (For your information: from your anecdote I tried looking at your calendar and I have no idea how you came to your conclusion about what day was best for you...)
    It actually has two (2) calendars, but you can't tell that because it is from 10.3.0 and the flatness wiped out the colours.

My calendar is understandable with the new UI, but then I need to click on every day that has a dot on it, which could mean up to 31 days if I want to survey an entire month. Currently, on 10.3.0, I don't need to click on anything to know if I am free in the afternoon on any given day. The bars just narrow the range of possibilities to explore: I'm not looking for details of the events, just for when I am free so I can slot something in.

03-12-15 12:32 PM
    Someone asked what I used before: a Q10. And I did like the old Calendar app, it just don't have any issues using the changed UI.

The app is designed for heavy users, with many calendars, and for them it makes sense to choose an UI that works equally well in all situations. Which the Dot/Square view does!

And if you want a quick overview of free time, use Agenda View! That's what it is designed to do, quickly show you possible times to schedule a new appointment! And it does.

On the contrary, the sidebars actually worked for me when I had the 10.2 calendar. I have 3 calendars. When the bar turns red, then something is wrong, there are overlapping appointments. Unless I could be at 2 different meetings at the same time, the sidebars prove to be very effective.

Also take note that I do have a very complex schedule - I could tell you why and how but it's not necessary at this point - that's why I have been heavily relying at my Blackberry's Calendar. Am I dreaming for thinking that the growing numbers and sidebars are effective (I can't seem to understand why you wrote intuitive? NO. And since you've used a Q10, I'm sure you know that the 10.2 calendar is even better than the screenshot shared above. Unless you're someone who doesn't use your calendar very often.

Now going to the dots and squares, as a 'heavy' user, it doesn't help the way growing numbers and sidebars did. Yes, they work and nothing wrong with these new features, but the 10.2 features were still way, way better. The dots' colors may tell us which Calendar it represents, but again, as shared by others, it doesn't give us an instant info about the time of a particular appointment. This should be a basic feature of every calendar, to help us manage our days and ultimately our time/schedule.

CB on Q10
    deltact and mefretwell like this.
    03-12-15 12:57 PM

You cannot honestly believe that they have not regressed a feature with the latest update. Even in the case where you have 2 days almost as equally booked it would still take you far less clicks to view your agenda for 2 different days if those days belong to different weeks in the same month. That is my main gripe with this view, If I want to compare what is happening this Friday vs next friday I will click on this Friday, have to click to collapse the view so I can select the different date, click on the date then view my appointments. Compare that with a 10.2 where everything was just a single click away. This is the same thing they did with the clock view, it now takes an extra step to go from opening the application to selecting any non default view. BlackBerry is supposed to be a productivity tool, they had one job and they blew it.

In all fairness they probably wanted clock and calendar to fit in with the new ui design where they have the main action in the center, but those decisions really affected their end users productivity

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 09:27 PM

Oh dear.

First of all: you write that the bars become useless... but the dots are already useless from the beginning.

About the multiple calendars: what about a drop down menu where you can choose the calendars? This would also solve the problem of sidebars "becoming" useless and they stay fantastically efficient. Which is essential for heavy users.

deltact likes this.
    03-13-15 03:05 AM
    Sorry, Double post.
    03-13-15 03:06 AM
    I like it! Ya'll need to embrace change. I disliked their "line" method previously.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 03:22 AM
109 ... 2345