i have the dtek60 and it is a fair nice phone... let me put it in context... my wife has a lg g4, and before that she had a samsung s4... about five days ago the g4 got stuck in the boot screen (which now i know it's a hardware issue known by lg)... anyway, while reviewing our options (i guess she will get the newer lg but who knows), she is using my dtek60... after few days, she says she loves it... so the dtek60 won't be bb10, since it is a different os... as with everything in life, you will have good things and bad things with bb-android... but it is a nice device, snappy, bright screen, expandable, current processor, 4gb ram... give it some time to learn android, and accept that it won't be the same as bb10... and who knows, maybe you find it interesting... good luck!
    Hmmhh, you're making me consider DTEK 60 as I am waiting to switch to the Mercury from Passport SE (I love PKB and don't know if I can do without it)

Come learn the science that FBI, CIA, Interpol, & Fortune 500 companies are using by visiting our channel. Join The KUQO Group at C002EFE5D and learn all about behavioral sciences.
    02-01-17 07:20 PM
    BlackBerry Android is no longer being executed by Chen or BlackBerry.

They simply provide the software to their licencees for whatever period of time they agreed to.
    So could BlackBerry focus on BlackBerry 10 now?

Come learn the science that FBI, CIA, Interpol, & Fortune 500 companies are using by visiting our channel. Join The KUQO Group at C002EFE5D and learn all about behavioral sciences.
    02-01-17 07:20 PM
    So could BlackBerry focus on BlackBerry 10 now?

No. They've dropped it already. No one seems interested in licencing it either.
    02-01-17 07:21 PM
    After an 8 year BlackBerry absence, I just picked up a new Q10... and let me tell ya... I am enjoying the BB10 experience!

It's a shame that this "software company" has decided to abandon its software. What's even more of a shame is that I didn't know anything about it until two weeks ago.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    02-01-17 08:32 PM
    A little late with my reluctant response but this was due to being preoccupied with other important matters. However, it's sometimes wise to be reluctant before deciding if it's necessary to clarify misconceptions and false perceptions that seem to be based on partial facts and some misguided emotions. Anyway, I must disagree with the 1st part of the comment "are you not aware that BlackBerry is completely out of the device business?" Whilst I have been fully aware of the next (2nd) sentence, not referenced here, I must disagree with this 1st part. The reality is that BlackBerry still continues to provide software and security support for existing (current) devices. Also, there is the newly introduced, TCL manufactured, code named "BlackBerry Mercury" device to be officially unveiled at Mobile World Congress later this month. Refer, if you haven't yet done so, to “Clearing the Air: Five Things Everyone Should Know About the New BlackBerry
    Clearing the Air: Five Things Everyone Should Know About the New BlackBerry | Inside BlackBerry

Finally, if I "sound like someone very new to Android” then that’s another false perception which has nothing to do with finding alternative apps. Any novice (I certainly don't think I'm one) could find Solid Explorer which is not built-in to Android as File Manager is on BlackBerry 10. In this case, though, my comparison was simply based on the quality of the stock BlackBerry 10 OS versus lack of Android stock despite having a greater quantity of 3rd party supported, add-on apps. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons why Android managed to outwit BlackBerry 10. Nevertheless, I agree that Android is the winner and hence the reason I choose a BlackBerry DTEK50 as my next BlackDroid mobile device. In my opinion, the winner was decided only on the margin quantity of supported 3rd party apps (not stock quality), greater consumer popularity and vendor adoption/support. Indeed, BlackBerry 10 had great potential to be successful but sadly it has been outwitted by larger competing numbers as well as some of its own mistakes.
    02-01-17 09:34 PM
    Buying a DTEK 50 is equivalent to previously buying a Leap. There are better alternatives in that price range.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-01-17 at 10:13 PM.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-01-17 09:55 PM
    Buying a DTEK 50 is equivalent to previously buying a Leap. There are better alternatives in that price range.

Posted via CB10
    Depends what value one puts on the BlackBerry hardening, updates, and BlackBerry-exclusive app suite features.
    02-01-17 10:17 PM
    $299 vs $429 on Bell . I would buy the Alcatel and get the BlackBerry app suite. This is why Bell does not stock the Dtek in their stores.

The Alcatel / Dtek battery is just OK and parts and service will be a problem. All I am saying is shop around for a better Android phone and get the BlackBerry subscription.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-02-17 at 12:53 AM.
    02-01-17 11:50 PM
    After an 8 year BlackBerry absence, I just picked up a new Q10... and let me tell ya... I am enjoying the BB10 experience!

It's a shame that this "software company" has decided to abandon its software. What's even more of a shame is that I didn't know anything about it until two weeks ago.
    That's because you weren't paying attention to the great Blackberry marketing. [Sarcasm.]
    elfabio80 and mrhobbsworth like this.
    02-02-17 12:02 AM

They haven't abandoned their software. They are focusing on the software that is making money, not losing money. If you look at their earnings reports, you can see where the cash is coming from. Hint: it's not phones.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-02-17 06:28 AM
    $299 vs $429 on Bell . I would buy the Alcatel and get the BlackBerry app suite. This is why Bell does not stock the Dtek in their stores.

The Alcatel / Dtek battery is just OK and parts and service will be a problem. All I am saying is shop around for a better Android phone and get the BlackBerry subscription.
    My favourite parts of the app suite are not available for other devices.
    02-02-17 07:13 AM
    No. They've dropped it already. No one seems interested in licencing it either.
    You would think that phone manufactures would have been chomping at the bit for a chance to make their own phones with "teh bestest OS evar" and be able to perform the proper marketing and updates where Blackberry has been so deficient. Surely they've done the math and seen how much raw profit there is to be made.
    02-02-17 07:23 AM
    They haven't abandoned their software. They are focusing on the software that is making money, not losing money. If you look at their earnings reports, you can see where the cash is coming from. Hint: it's not phones.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    I can appreciate the facts... but as someone who has been away from it for awhile, the 'appearance' is that it has been abandoned. I can only imagine that those who are further away from it likely view it in the same way (or don't even care).
    02-02-17 09:07 AM
    You would think that phone manufactures would have been chomping at the bit for a chance to make their own phones with "teh bestest OS evar" and be able to perform the proper marketing and updates where Blackberry has been so deficient. Surely they've done the math and seen how much raw profit there is to be made.
    They did. They are called TCL and PT BB Merah Putih.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-17 09:13 AM
    My favourite parts of the app suite are not available for other devices.
    Perhaps but most consumers would not pay such a premium for a rebranded phone. What are your favourite features? Mine is the BlackBerry VKB not available via Google Play.
    02-02-17 09:31 AM
    Perhaps but most consumers would not pay such a premium for a rebranded phone. What are your favourite features? Mine is the BlackBerry VKB not available via Google Play.
    Blackberry keyboard, productivity tab, bb10 style task switcher screen, swipe up gestures, and DTEK app.

Add to that the quick updates, integrity detection, and the hardened OS, and I feel it is well worth the extra price.
    02-02-17 10:03 AM
    none of this sounds like a draw. that mercury camera though! if it ran bb10 I might fork out the, what $900? for one? ok, maybe not.

Posted via CBX
    02-02-17 10:37 AM
    Blackberry keyboard, productivity tab, bb10 style task switcher screen, swipe up gestures, and DTEK app.

Add to that the quick updates, integrity detection, and the hardened OS, and I feel it is well worth the extra price.
    Blackberry keyboard rules!! Here will live a Q10 till he dies xD
    02-02-17 10:45 AM

Sure but still I would rather have a great phone that I can see and demo at a carrier store to which BlackBerry apps could be added later. A mail order phone that I have not seen and used in person is not for me.
    02-02-17 11:02 AM
    Sure but still I would rather have a great phone that I can see and demo at a carrier store to which BlackBerry apps could be added later. A mail order phone that I have not seen and used in person is not for me.
    Meh. I'm used to online shopping and going with trusted reviews and photos now. There are just too many important features to lose by going with something else. Besides, you can always return it if you don't like it.
    02-02-17 11:12 AM
    Be that as it may, the majority buyers deal with a carrier store . Unlocked phones are increasing in popularity and I hope that "Shop BlackBerry Mobile" can rise to the level of Apple or Google in their client services.
    02-02-17 11:34 AM
    well, only you know... i like the dtek60 a lot, but there are times when i rather type on a physical kb, even though the BB virtual one is very good... nothing beats the click feedback of a button, TO ME... the virtual kb does the job very well, don't get me wrong... i want to try the mercury but will wait for reviews regarding performance... good luck!

Hmmhh, you're making me consider DTEK 60 as I am waiting to switch to the Mercury from Passport SE (I love PKB and don't know if I can do without it)

02-03-17 12:12 PM
    I feel your pain. The best solution is to keep a Passport by your side and roll with the best  android device available.
    02-03-17 01:57 PM
    Meh. I'm used to online shopping and going with trusted reviews and photos now. There are just too many important features to lose by going with something else. Besides, you can always return it if you don't like it.
    The vast majority of consumers disagree with you. (Sound familiar?) they want to see and touch a device before they fork out $500.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 02:45 PM
    The vast majority of consumers disagree with you. (Sound familiar?) they want to see and touch a device before they fork out $500.

Posted via CB10
    I was not providing anything beyond my own personal preference in this matter.

Although look at the success of the OnePlus devices.
    02-03-17 02:49 PM
595 ... 1718192021 ...