With how many times the government had to step in and stop Microsoft and with how they tried to destroy other competition like Linux unfairly I'm surprised that anyone could say that Microsoft isn't evil. Look at what they did to Motorola and other companies in the Windows Mobile days. Microsoft hasn't changed. It's just their position in the market that has.
    I'm talking about their use of their customers' data -- not their monopoly status in 2000. They have engaged in abusive conduct in recent years but have admitted publicly that they were wrong: 1) forcing Windows 10 on people with updates and 2) data collection on Windows 10 and not giving people options for privacy.

Has evil Google ever admitted mistake or apologized for anything? Google does not err because Google defines our reality.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-17 03:09 PM
    I'm talking about their use of their customers' data -- not their monopoly status in 2000. They have engaged in abusive conduct in recent years but have admitted publicly that they were wrong: 1) forcing Windows 10 on people with updates and 2) data collection on Windows 10 and not giving people options for privacy.

Has evil Google ever admitted mistake or apologized for anything? Google does not err because Google defines our reality.

Posted via CB10
    There is some truth in this, did Google even apologize for driving around people's homes trying to capture their WiFi?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-17 04:13 PM
    OS aside, the DTEK60 is a flagship device with better specs than the iPhone SE. The higher pricetag isn't that surprising.

Out of curiosity, what issues did you have with the DTEK50?
    Specs mean absolutely nothing when it comes to iPhones. iPhones consistently perform well despite their specs looking low on paper. I can almost guarantee the SE will be just as fast if not faster than the DTEK60, despite the DTEK60 coming out later than the SE.

When the DTEK50 launched, there was a huge backlash here on Crackberry. The battery life was appalling. I was getting 5 hours of low-medium usage. I was having to charge it 3 times per day. Blackberry issued an update and I got 8-10 hours of usage, which was more acceptable. But then, Blackberry started neglecting the DTEK50. They said it was the most secure android, and yet they didn't patch it for like 3 months. By this point, it was almost a laughing joke - a supposed secure phone which hadn't been patched in 3 months with battery issues.

There were more issues, but I forget now. I'd have to go back and check my posts. The DTEK50 was crying out for a fingerprint scanner. Having to input a password was frustrating because obviously, having a small password on a "secure device" would render it "not secure".

And than a lesser issue, but still an issue, was the fact TCL designed the phone, or rather, the phone was just a blueprint of an Alcatel device - it just didn't really *feel* like a Blackberry. That was a non-issue for me personally, but some people discounted the device for that reason.
    01-29-17 04:56 PM
    Specs mean absolutely nothing when it comes to iPhones. iPhones consistently perform well despite their specs looking low on paper. I can almost guarantee the SE will be just as fast if not faster than the DTEK60, despite the DTEK60 coming out later than the SE.
    True and Apple certainly doesn't get enough credit for their optimizations but some aspects are pretty clear cut (display, RAM, battery, etc) and that will impact the price. That being said, I don't think the MSRP of the two devices was radically different ($399 vs $499 USD) and the DTEK60 was certainly among the cheaper Android flagships released last year.

When the DTEK50 launched, there was a huge backlash here on Crackberry. The battery life was appalling. I was getting 5 hours of low-medium usage. I was having to charge it 3 times per day. Blackberry issued an update and I got 8-10 hours of usage, which was more acceptable. But then, Blackberry started neglecting the DTEK50. They said it was the most secure android, and yet they didn't patch it for like 3 months. By this point, it was almost a laughing joke - a supposed secure phone which hadn't been patched in 3 months with battery issues.

There were more issues, but I forget now. I'd have to go back and check my posts. The DTEK50 was crying out for a fingerprint scanner. Having to input a password was frustrating because obviously, having a small password on a "secure device" would render it "not secure".
    The DTEK60 has a bigger battery but it also has a larger, high res display and higher end CPU so I don't know if upgrading will necessarily solve your battery problems (someone that owns both can probably chime in). I guess the only other BlackBerry device you could look at is the Mercury (or Priv if you'd be willing to compromise with picture password instead of a fingerprint scanner).
    sidtek50 likes this.
    01-29-17 07:36 PM
    There is some truth in this, did Google even apologize for driving around people's homes trying to capture their WiFi?

Posted via CB10
    Yes, they did.Google initially disclosed that the program they were using to record the locations of wifi ssids to improve mobile location capabilities was accidentally also capturing snippets of data when the wifi connection was unencrypted, and preserved the evidence to show the data protection authorities of the affected nations that it had indeed been accidental, and deleted it when this was confirmed.

I say "accidentally" because even if you believe everything they claimed to do was a lie, a Google sufficiently evil to deliberately send cars around on the off chance that someone might be using a password on a random non-ssl site over unencrypted wifi at the exact time the vehicle is driving past has much easier options to collect usernames and passwords if they actually want that information for some reason.
    01-30-17 04:41 AM
    Bye mate, but why to buy blackdroid, there are better device compared to the failure, overpricing Dtek's and Priv.

Posted via CB10
    No, there aren't.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 06:51 AM
    No, there aren't.

Posted via CB10
    It's all about preference. While all Android devices run the same base OS, their own flavor of implementation and OS feeling might differ. Some like the simple/base approach that the Nexus (and to some degree BB) devices take. Some like the "add everything we can fit in" approach of Samsung.
    Then are also some in-between approaches (I think LG is the best example here).

If you do decide to get an Android device, finding the right device for you is not always that straightforward.
    01-30-17 07:37 AM
    BlackBerry Droid no way, after giving priv to my dad, he is much disappointed with the lag and heating issue, I got him samsung edge and sold Priv.

Not worth to spend money in BlackBerry anymore.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 08:07 AM
    just wanna say...I spent a couple days on android marshmallow, and while it is highly configurable and does the job, I am SO happy to be back on BB10! the things this phone (passport) can do...and the way it does them so well....its like a huge stress relief to have things work so snappy and intuitively. I am constantly amazed at the quality of this phone and OS.
    just today, I started using it as a bluetooth remote to my android tv (bluetouchpad app...awesome.) and again felt the bb lovin' feeling!! 3 different bt devices connected simultaneously for 3 different purposes! this is my phone, and this is my OS. there are things it might not support, but they are not things I need. what I need is a reliable phone with amazing connectivity, battery life, smooth and slick, and no bs! this is it. for as long as I can possibly hang on, I will.

Posted via CBX
    blackbp likes this.
    01-30-17 11:29 AM
    It's all about preference. While all Android devices run the same base OS, their own flavor of implementation and OS feeling might differ. Some like the simple/base approach that the Nexus (and to some degree BB) devices take. Some like the "add everything we can fit in" approach of Samsung.

If you do decide to get an Android device, finding the right device for you is not always that straightforward.
    BINGO! This weekend I assisted a non-technical friend with his new Samsung S7 Edge. It's only due to some fiddling with my wife's LG G3 that I could navigate at all. Amazing how different the two layers or overlays or whatever you want to call them change the interface and experience. Only reinforced how I'm dreading moving to BlackDroid. OTOH, both the G3 and S7 Edge were lightening smooth 'n' fast compared to my Z10.
    01-30-17 03:29 PM
    I think the truth is: BB lacked leadership and Chen has truly ran BB into the ground. The failure of the Priv and the DTEK50's slow/late security patches despite BB's promises tells me the BB brand is all but over.

It's sad but they didn't innovate, didn't compete, kept throwing out poor hardware with high prices and expected to beat Apple and Samsung in the process. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chen needs to go.
    BB10 was a flop right out of the gate with an alien interface and many features missing compared to OS7. That isn't Chen's fault. He made aggressive moves to stop a sinking ship from going under completely.

The problem with the Classic was that it should have been released in 2012 or 2013. Instead BB10 came out on an iPhone copy, and people who didn't hang on to their 9930's decided to go with the real thing. After much complaining on these forums, Chen finally admitted the company's mistake, much to his credit, and developed the Classic. Unfortunately, at that point the company had already taken such a hit that it didn't have the resources to make it a powerful enough device for 2015.
    01-30-17 03:39 PM
    BB10 was a flop right out of the gate with an alien interface and many features missing compared to OS7. That isn't Chen's fault. He made aggressive moves to stop a sinking ship from going under completely.

The problem with the Classic was that it should have been released in 2012 or 2013. Instead BB10 came out on an iPhone copy, and people who didn't hang on to their 9930's decided to go with the real thing. After much complaining on these forums, Chen finally admitted the company's mistake, much to his credit, and developed the Classic. Unfortunately, at that point the company had already taken such a hit that it didn't have the resources to make it a powerful enough device for 2015.
    At what point did Dear Leader Chen rescue the BB10 coders from the blood-thirsty wampa let loose on the blackberry campus?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 04:27 PM
    At what point did Dear Leader Chen rescue the BB10 coders from the blood-thirsty wampa let loose on the blackberry campus?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry was mismanaged long before Chen. How does a multi-billion dollar company show up arguably two years late to the smartphone OS wars without a plan B and no one from top to bottom think "Hey what if this doesn't take off?"
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-30-17 04:52 PM
    BlackBerry was mismanaged long before Chen. How does a multi-billion dollar company show up arguably two years late to the smartphone OS wars without a plan B and no one from top to bottom think "Hey what if this doesn't take off?"
    I agree.

I think Plan B might have been selling, but if that is so, it wasn't a good one.
    01-30-17 05:07 PM
    Maybe it was mismanaged before Chen, but this does not excuse Chen's gross mismanagement.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-17 10:15 PM
    Maybe it was mismanaged before Chen, but this does not excuse Chen's gross mismanagement.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry's Board, and Fairfax Financial seem quite happy with his management over the last 2.5 years. He seems to be executing as promised. What are your credentials to evaluate him and determine "gross" mismanagement?

More, qualified, evaluation:

http://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/blo...ree-years.html
    hjc73734 likes this.
    01-30-17 10:40 PM
    How does a multi-billion dollar company show up arguably two years late to the smartphone OS wars without a plan B and no one from top to bottom think "Hey what if this doesn't take off?"
    Chen with a time machine? /s
    01-30-17 10:41 PM
    I know in my heart I can't stay with this Classic for much longer. But what do I replace it with? Do I buy a Blackberry android?? I had the DTEK50 and thought it was trash. The DTEK60 looks nice but it's beyond my price range. It's actually priced above an iPhone SE. Can you believe that?? I thought Chen and Co had learned a lesson after admitting the Priv's pricing was wrong.

I hate to say this but I can't see my next device being a Blackberry.
    Maaann, I understand you completely!! I made the switch to iPhone years ago but still bought a Z30 and a Classic in between. I love BB10, but the app selection and ecosystem of iOS was difficult to not get hooked on. When I missed BB10, I whipped the Classic out for about two weeks and then reality sets in.

As far as what to buy next, iOS is a great way to go. Maybe a non-flammable Note 8 later this year. Or maybe the Mercury will be the BlackBerry Droid to get it right.

I'm on T-Mobile and taking advantage of the Digits Program. This let's me have a duplicate SIM of my primary line. So, I'm rocking both my iPhone and my Classic right now. Classic for most email, BBM and non iMessage texts. IPhone for everything else!

I think I'll always keep a BB10 device until they kill them all. Unfortunately, it'll be for nostalgic purposes. Loved your thoughts though!

Posted via my BlackBerry Classic
    sidtek50 likes this.
    01-30-17 11:39 PM
    BlackBerry's Board, and Fairfax Financial seem quite happy with his management over the last 2.5 years. He seems to be executing as promised. What are your credentials to evaluate him and determine "gross" mismanagement?

More, qualified, evaluation:

http://mobile.itbusinessedge.com/blo...ree-years.html
    Killing of Hardware Division
    No marketing strategy for Devices
    Lack of faith in their Own OS, (Funny how chen use to say bb10 is the most secure OS and yet they left and went to Android which wasn't secure, whats next securing ios?)
    Lack of vision

The only thing he did is concentrating on making BlackBerry a software company.

I know Conite will defend all these but will that change the facts?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 12:36 AM

You're quite right, i was being blunt for fun. (relax, not trying to get elected) my daughter uses a nexus 6p and tbh it's a quality phone. I can only imagine that the Pixel as it's successor is very nice indeed. Buuuutt the Dtek 60 has almost the same specs, timely updates and BlackBerry goodness in there too for 60% of the price.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 12:58 AM
    Lack of faith in their Own OS, (Funny how chen use to say bb10 is the most secure OS and yet they left and went to Android which wasn't secure, whats next securing ios?)
    Lack of vision

Posted via CB10
    ...and did the market promote Chen? I do not think so Conite...
    01-31-17 01:22 AM
    Lack of vision

Posted via CB10
    Having "faith" in BB10 wasn't paying the bills.

BlackBerry's number one purpose is/was to make money for its shareholders. BB10 did the opposite; and the Board acted accordingly.

The "only" thing he did might be the smartest thing going back 3/4 CEOs.
    01-31-17 01:28 AM
    Having "faith" in BB10 wasn't paying the bills.

BlackBerry's number one purpose is/was to make money for its shareholders. BB10 did the opposite; and the Board acted accordingly.

The "only" thing he did might be the smartest thing going back 3/4 CEOs.
    Make money for Shareholders by keeping their customers in dark ??
    We are committed to bb10 with no development, no new features, no more bb10 devices and many more.

Well many would say bb10 didn't increased the sale expected so they went Android,
    did Android venture succeeded??
    Did Android saved the handset division?
    Did Android increased their sales?

Still they would defend that going Android was their last option. The Only reason BB10 failed or couldn't get the sales was Because for lack of APPS period.

Now those who have bought Priv,Dteks would appreciate how we can customised our phone with widgets on homescreen, how many of them would have placed Whatsapp widget or BlackBerry Hub widget on homescreen? the number might be very few because no one would like to share their chats to anyone. I am saying this as I have used Priv and I am on my Passport,

BB10 is fulfilling my need, when time comes I will have to choose between Android or ios, even if I choose Android I won't buy any Blackdroid,Period.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-17 02:58 AM
    Lack of vision

Posted via CB10
    Conite asked what were YOUR credentials for judging Chen. Pointing out thing Chen did that you didn't like isn't answering that question.

Do any of you die hards even know BlackBerry history?
    01-31-17 04:13 AM
    Lack of vision

Posted via CB10
    If securing IOS brings in cash, why not? I don't know why anyone thinks the company is obligated to keep throwing good money after bad.
    01-31-17 04:25 AM
595 ... 1415161718 ...