Almost everyone out there has several must have apps for them. You want me to give you the name of some mega-app that everyone across the board uses. It doesn't work that way.

I gave you a list of apps that cover hundreds of millions of users. BB10 had none of them.
    I doubt those apps had hundreds of millions of users combined in 2013. Uber was in a select few cities for example. Chrome? You think BB10 users needed Chrome? Why? And BB did not need to sell to everyone even if there were 100 million users it could not reach.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-12-17 08:14 PM
    there's a patched uber app that works, and a 'nemory' alternative..
    google seems to be cramming their 'play service' down the throats of more and more developers. perhaps going back a few revisions you can find a version of your app that does not utilize this *cough* "service" .

Posted via CBX
    02-12-17 08:33 PM
    google seems to be cramming their 'play service' down the throats of more and more developers.
    It's actually of great benefit to developers. There are a number of features that can enhance their apps without having to code them.
    02-12-17 08:34 PM
    is user tracking outside of google apps a benefit or a just a bonus?

Posted via CBX
    ssbtech likes this.
    02-12-17 08:41 PM
    I'm sure they are great, but these are used by so few that they would not affect BB10.
    [citation needed]

Most people only use mainstream apps and don't do commerce through their smartphones
    [citation needed]

even today and more so in 2013.
    [citation needed]
    Tre Lawrence and kvndoom like this.
    02-12-17 09:44 PM
    [citation needed]

[citation needed]

[citation needed]
    Yep.

Sounds like... what's the word? Uh, SPECULATION.
    02-12-17 10:54 PM
    netflix worked until recently.

Posted via CBX

Still does. And it sounds great on my Z30's awesome speakers
    02-12-17 11:08 PM
    [citation needed]

[citation needed]

[citation needed]
    I need a citation for your need for a citation. Wait. How do I even know who you are? I need some proof of your identity before I can address your post.
    02-12-17 11:41 PM
    I know Uber was in select cities in 2013 and have never heard of the obscure apps. Where are your citations that they existed in 2013 and had many users?
    02-12-17 11:43 PM
    I know Uber was in select cities in 2013 and have never heard of the obscure apps. Where are your citations that they existed in 2013 and had many users?
    The apps I listed are all from 2013, and are far from obscure.
    02-12-17 11:58 PM
    The apps I listed are all from 2013, and are far from obscure.
    The issue is not whether they were obscure (which many are since no one not in IT knows what they are even today) but whether they were essential for a large proportion of BB10 users.
    02-13-17 12:11 AM
    The only app I saw that I recognized in that thread (the part I could stand to read) was Simpsons Tapped Out. I played that on an Android tablet or got it working on my Z30. I don't remember which. It entertained me for 10 minutes tops.

Some of the other apps look like shopping apps that probably have browser versions by now. Ikea app? Oh, boy!

People obsessed with apps should never have bought BB10. I have never claimed otherwise.

My point stands. What mainstream, essential apps were missing apart from Netflix?

Posted via CB10
    Check the screenshots, they list apps like Instagram, Snapchat, Spotify, Pinterest, etc. You don't have to be "obsessed" with apps to want them, BBOS has a pretty long history with apps so users would naturally expect to see them on newer platforms.
    02-13-17 12:47 AM
    I'm still us q10.and still awsome

Posted via CB10
    02-13-17 04:26 AM
    No idea why you prefer android to iOS if you value your privacy and security. Windows 10 Mobile is 10x more secure than android as well.

Either way, BB10 has been dead for a very long time, perhaps even as far as 2 years ago. I got the BB Classic and had it for a mere 35 days before deciding it was trash and couldn't complete with iOS or android functionality.

I think the truth is: BB lacked leadership and Chen has truly ran BB into the ground. The failure of the Priv and the DTEK50's slow/late security patches despite BB's promises tells me the BB brand is all but over.

It's sad but they didn't innovate, didn't compete, kept throwing out poor hardware with high prices and expected to beat Apple and Samsung in the process. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chen needs to go.
    Gimme your trashy Classic, yeah?
    02-13-17 04:35 AM
    there's a patched uber app that works, and a 'nemory' alternative..
    google seems to be cramming their 'play service' down the throats of more and more developers. perhaps going back a few revisions you can find a version of your app that does not utilize this *cough* "service" .

Posted via CBX
    We as developers are not forced to use Google Play services, but they sure as hell make our job easier. And since the services are updated automatically on all Android devices (regardless of OS version), we can provide newer (and better) apps even to those phones that manufacturers refuse to update.

And since we put our apps in Google Play Store, we expect the phone to always have Google play services installed. We don't support (and certainly don't test) installing our Google Play app on device that doesn't have the services installed or patching our apps using Cobalt's method.
    02-13-17 04:43 AM
    [QUOTE=Soulstream;12762918]We as developers are not forced to use Google Play services, QUOTE]

no, but if you want to monetize your app, ie: have it listed in playstore, you will.

Posted via CBX
    02-13-17 07:27 AM
    Still does. And it sounds great on my Z30's awesome speakers
    are you able to download/save shows while on wifi, and later watch them while you are offline? that is the feature that might draw me back

Posted via CBX
    02-13-17 07:29 AM
    We as developers are not forced to use Google Play services,
    no, but if you want to monetize your app, ie: have it listed in playstore, you will.

Posted via CBX
    While they are called services, Google Play services are mainly an API collection for interacting with a lot of stuff, which does include app payments. Of course we are free to find and implement our own solution, but why on earth would we do that?

If the app is in Google Play store, we know that if you use officially download our app from that said store, you will have Google Play services installed. Of course, if we put our app into the amazon app store for example, then yes, we will have to change our code to handle said app behavior in a different way.

But, since over 98% of our Android app usage comes from Google certified devices, we would be crazy to not use these very useful APIs that are at our disposal.
    02-13-17 07:41 AM
    are you able to download/save shows while on wifi, and later watch them while you are offline? that is the feature that might draw me back

Posted via CBX
    Taping Netflix??? Seriously? We can do it, and legally? AFAIK, there's no way to record Netflix's show when it's running. With what? How?

I think you meant iflix, ya? They provide the option to download and watch offline.
    02-13-17 07:51 AM
    Taping Netflix??? Seriously? We can do it, and legally? AFAIK, there's no way to record Netflix's show when it's running. With what? How?

I think you meant iflix, ya? They provide the option to download and watch offline.
    Official apps now allow for offline viewing for a lot of content.
    02-13-17 07:54 AM
    Official apps now allow for offline viewing for a lot of content.
    Dang! All this time I've been watching exclusively with the browser from my windows 10 laptop connected to a 29" flat screen monitor. I hate watching movies on the small screen of a cellphone, no matter what that is.
    02-13-17 08:45 AM
    Dang! All this time I've been watching exclusively with the browser from my windows 10 laptop. I hate watching movies on the small screen of a cellphone, no matter what that is.
    To be fair, I don't don't know many who do watch Netflix on smartphones regularity. Most folks I know that use Netflix on mobile devices cast it to bigger screens or projectors. In essence, the phone is a mobile portal. Hotels, dorm rooms, parties, etc.

And then you have tablets and Chromebooks which the app is good for.

Being able to access offline content really makes Netflix more of an anchor app for a lot of folks.
    02-13-17 08:56 AM
    To be fair, I don't don't know many who do watch Netflix on smartphones regularity. Most folks I know that use Netflix on mobile devices cast it to bigger screens or projectors. In essence, the phone is a mobile portal. Hotels, dorm rooms, parties, etc.

And then you have tablets and Chromebooks which the app is good for.

Being able to access offline content really makes Netflix more of an anchor app for a lot of folks.
    I see. Doesn't it lag being cast wirelessly to a bigger screen, from a smartphone?
    I use the HDMI cable to connect my laptop to a bigger screen. I've been doing it for so long I never thought there could actually be any other way of doing it--well, except from the smart TV and smartphone, that is, which I know but don't do. Lol

That is indeed convenient to be able to watch it offline. Thanks for the heads up.
    02-13-17 09:03 AM
    I see. Doesn't it lag being cast wirelessly to a bigger screen, from a smartphone?
    Why would it matter if playback on the TV display was a fraction of a second behind the phone? You're not trying to watch it on both screens at the same time, are you?
    02-13-17 09:12 AM
    I use the HDMI cable to connect my laptop to a bigger screen. I've been doing it for so long I never thought there could actually be any other way of doing it--well, except from the smart TV and smartphone, that is, which I know but don't do. Lol

That is indeed convenient to be able to watch it offline. Thanks for the heads up.
    Playback itself should be flawless in most instances, any problems would most likely crop up when making the connection initially. Example being a friend of mine with a crap router that takes a few minutes to negotiate between devices and his Roku, but media plays great once it completes handoff.
    02-13-17 09:19 AM
595 ... 2021222324