Android is the future os I agree to it, but why should I buy an BlackBerry android device?

Security : I don't care much about it
    Apps : Most of the apps I need for my work and fun is installed in my passport and working perfectly fine.
    Widgets/Customisation : I like simplicity, more widget makes the homescreen clumsy and confusing rather then making it easy. (I tried on priv)
    Hub: it's not as good as bb10 beside the hub in Android is not as responsive or fast as it's on bb10.

I have far better choice of devices / upcoming devices from Samsung and apple rather then choosing BlackBerry.

I would love to put my bet on a healthy horse rather then a horse trying to recover from an injury.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 05:23 PM
    Android is the future os I agree to it, but why should I buy an BlackBerry android device?

Security : I don't care much about it
    Apps : Most of the apps I need for my work and fun is installed in my passport and working perfectly fine.
    Widgets/Customisation : I like simplicity, more widget makes the homescreen clumsy and confusing rather then making it easy. (I tried on priv)
    Hub: it's not as good as bb10 beside the hub in Android is not as responsive or fast as it's on bb10.

I have far better choice of devices / upcoming devices from Samsung and apple rather then choosing BlackBerry.

I would love to put my bet on a healthy horse rather then a horse trying to recover from an injury.

Posted via CB10
    The better comparison would be a Samsung versus a BlackBerry Android. You are saying your BlackBerry OS10 is better than a BlackBerry Android, but then say you would get a Samsung next. I would be interested in why.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-17 06:01 PM
    The better comparison would be a Samsung versus a BlackBerry Android. You are saying your BlackBerry OS10 is better than a BlackBerry Android, but then say you would get a Samsung next. I would be interested in why.

Posted via CB10
    He seems to be saying that if he cannot get a BB10 PKB then he will leave BlackBerry altogether .

My way of thinking is that the need for a PKB is far more important than the need for BB10. Us VKB users really can get by without BlackBerry. The BlackBerry skin is not a need just a want.
    02-03-17 09:14 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wish it was MY BB10
    No BB10 is not better but still Best than a BlackBerry Android, Period
    This opinion of mine is just mine as I have used Priv but now am rocking with my Passport. For me BB10 is still Best.

When time comes for me to jump ship surely it would be Samsung or Apple, but NO BlackBerry Android, neverever

Posted via CB10
    02-04-17 12:42 AM
    So explain to me how BlackBerry's security software prevents Google from getting at my data?
    02-04-17 01:25 AM
    So explain to me how BlackBerry's security software prevents Google from getting at my data?
    It doesn't. You can prevent that for yourself by not using the Google apps installed. You should remember that they won't access app data from 3rd party apps. So if, for example, instead of Chrome, you use Firefox, you browsing history will not be accessed by Google.

If you are paranoid about privacy you could just use a dummy google account for the phone and use only third party apps from sources you trust.
    02-04-17 03:57 AM
    That's the issue though - if you want to do anything with your phone, you need a Google account tied to it. Dummy account or not, you're still tied to Google.
    02-04-17 01:56 PM
    That's the issue though - if you want to do anything with your phone, you need a Google account tied to it. Dummy account or not, you're still tied to Google.
    You need an account for any smartphone OS right now. If the account contains very little information about you,why does it matter?
    roleli likes this.
    02-04-17 03:56 PM
    You need an account for any smartphone OS right now. If the account contains very little information about you,why does it matter?
    Because the account doesn't contain "very little information". It forms a complete profile on virtually all of your activities you do with your phone, and with Google's scary-invasive privacy and usage policies it's a very real concern.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    02-04-17 07:33 PM
    I think you just tossed a handgrenade into the room.
    If it was 'just a phone,' I wouldn't have to come here
    But yes, I better go get the popcorn now, this could turn into a fun show.
    02-04-17 07:40 PM
    I suspect there is a conflict between some social apps and privacy features of BlackBerry. I prefer to go android-free as much as possible so the things I do with my phone dont need android.

I should have quoted who I replied too -- sorry!
    02-04-17 07:46 PM
    Because the account doesn't contain "very little information". It forms a complete profile on virtually all of your activities you do with your phone, and with Google's scary-invasive privacy and usage policies it's a very real concern.
    Using a dummy account collects nothing.

You need to use Chrome, Gmail, Google Now, GMaps, etc for information to be collected about you.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    02-04-17 08:18 PM
    Using a dummy account collects nothing.

You need to use Chrome, Gmail, Google Now, GMaps, etc for information to be collected about you.
    A dummy account is no different than a non-dummy account in that you have a Google account linked to much of what you do on your phone.

Unfortunately Android was built around information sharing and data collection being the default modus operandi and Google has gone to great lengths to frustrate attempts to reduce the amount of data they pillage from Android phones. One slip up by the user to enable photo sync with Google and now he's just given Google a whole pile of photos for them to run their facial recognition software against.

The sad part here is that the data that gets collected doesn't just belong to the owner of the phone, it's all of the people who have personally identifiable information stored on that phone who lose their privacy. Think about how Google is going to use your photo the next time you pose for someone's Android phone...
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-04-17 08:33 PM
    A dummy account is no different than a non-dummy account in that you have a Google account linked to much of what you do on your phone.

Unfortunately Android was built around information sharing and data collection being the default modus operandi and Google has gone to great lengths to frustrate attempts to reduce the amount of data they pillage from Android phones. One slip up by the user to enable photo sync with Google and now he's just given Google a whole pile of photos for them to run their facial recognition software against.

The sad part here is that the data that gets collected doesn't just belong to the owner of the phone, it's all of the people who have personally identifiable information stored on that phone who lose their privacy. Think about how Google is going to use your photo the next time you pose for someone's Android phone...
    My post stands. Nothing is collected if you don't use the apps.
    02-04-17 09:16 PM
    I'll play devils advocate. OK, so what happens when you share everything? Where is evidence of nefarious acts carried out by Google? Where are the whistle blowers and public outcry? I know it is not ideal, but so what?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-17 10:21 PM
    I'll play devils advocate. OK, so what happens when you share everything? Where is evidence of nefarious acts carried out by Google? Where are the whistle blowers and public outcry? I know it is not ideal, but so what?

Posted via CB10
    So far nothing bad happened. But I am fully aware that Google probably has the most complete profile of the people in the world. In case of a hypothetical hack, it would be pretty bad.
    ssbtech likes this.
    02-05-17 03:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    How many decades will that data live? For the rest of your life perhaps? Who know who will hold it?
    ssbtech likes this.
    02-05-17 03:52 AM
    How many decades will that data live? For the rest of your life perhaps? Who know who will hold it?
    Google has an Inactive Account Manager that will carry out tasks based on what you determine as inactive time.
    02-05-17 04:40 AM

And here we are, still alive 3.5 years later, with a substantial software portfolio, and close to sustainable profits.
    People aren't happy that BlackBerry changed from a company that provided hardware to a software company. John Chen did an effective job of turning BlackBerry around.

Yes, BlackBerry isn't making hardware, but look how long they rode that out? The licensing agreement with TCL is the best option for a continuous supply of BlackBerry branded hardware.

I am still hoping for a more BB10 like experience on Android, which I think will pull over the BB10 diehards. BlackBerry is still a Canadian company employing many people. It wasn't carved up and sold to the highest bidders like Nortel.

Personally, I believe John Chen has pulled off a miracle.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 05:26 AM
    People aren't happy that BlackBerry changed from a company that provided hardware to a software company. John Chen did an effective job of turning BlackBerry around.

Yes, BlackBerry isn't making hardware, but look how long they rode that out? The licensing agreement with TCL is the best option for a continuous supply of BlackBerry branded hardware.

I am still hoping for a more BB10 like experience on Android, which I think will pull over the BB10 diehards. BlackBerry is still a Canadian company employing many people. It wasn't carved up and sold to the highest bidders like Nortel.

Personally, I believe John Chen has pulled off a miracle.

Posted via CB10
    OK but will BlackBerry continue to "improve Android" or will we just see stock Android.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-17 07:48 AM
    My post stands. Nothing is collected if you don't use the apps.
    You're just helping to reinforce the point that the trade-off for full functionality of an Android phone is that you privacy is compromised. These aren't easily avoidable flashlight apps that steal your contact list and photos, these Google applications form a significant part of the basic functionality of any Android phone.

I guess you better not use Google Play either to get safer apps: https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/2...-large-iceberg

Then this gem was released the other day: https://arstechnica.com/security/201...s-more-secure/

What is it about the Android ecosystem that seems to attract so many privacy and security risks? Perhaps because developers know users have been conditioned by Google to hit that "accept all permissions" button without much thought. It's just a sloppy platform all around from a security/privacy perspective.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-05-17 11:23 AM
    You're just helping to reinforce the point that the trade-off for full functionality of an Android phone is that you privacy is compromised.
    That's your choice.

I look at it from the opposite perspective, however. I choose to provide information in order to take advantage of a mountain of apps and services. I am satisfied with Google's firewalls and the fact that no identifying information is provided to ANY third party.

I make the same decision everyday regarding all of my financial information in the hands of my money manager, and all of my medical information in the hands of my doctors. Either of them could theoretically go rogue, or be compromised by a fanatical government.

These are the choices I make to get the most out of life.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-05-17 11:29 AM
    We recently had an old AOL account, that was CLOSED way back in 2006, randomly reopen and start leaking data.....the data never dies. It's always there somewhere. Google has money for security features today, but what about in 15 years? AOL was once a behemoth too, and now they aren't. If anything is for certain, it's that Google won't be around forever to protect your personal data.....but the data itself will be, and who knows who will have access to it or how it will be used.

And to anyone who can't imagine a world without Google and says they'll never go out of business, I say you're incredibly short sighted and in dire need of a history lesson.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-17 07:45 PM
    By that token, we're all in the same boat regardless of provider.
    02-09-17 10:20 PM
    We recently had an old AOL account, that was CLOSED way back in 2006, randomly reopen and start leaking data.....the data never dies. It's always there somewhere. Google has money for security features today, but what about in 15 years? AOL was once a behemoth too, and now they aren't. If anything is for certain, it's that Google won't be around forever to protect your personal data.....but the data itself will be, and who knows who will have access to it or how it will be used.

And to anyone who can't imagine a world without Google and says they'll never go out of business, I say you're incredibly short sighted and in dire need of a history lesson.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly. What if Google decides in 20 years it doesn't need to spend so much updating its security for old data on retired email addresses?

This reminds me of that great Jeff Goldblum character in Jurassic Park and his Chaos Theory.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-17 10:36 PM
595 ... 1819202122 ...