What exactly is boxcryptor? I assume it encrypts data that's to be stored in the cloud?

Posted via CB10
    Pretty much. Encrypting intermediary between your files and whichever cloud storage of choice.
    01-23-17 09:32 PM
    BB gave up the ability to make updates when they signed the license to GMS and Google Play for the Priv and other BB Android devices. Once you sign that license, you agree not to include any non-Google-Certified Android code in any of your products
    I wonder what happens to that agreement now that BB no longer manufactures android phones?
    01-23-17 09:49 PM
    I wonder what happens to that agreement now that BB no longer manufactures android phones?
    They're still making the OS, i.e. the part that has Google Play Services in it.
    brookie229 likes this.
    01-23-17 09:54 PM
    I have put it off for to long. It is time to retire my BB10 and move on. As BlackBerry continues to move BB10 solely for government use, we are left with no hope of gaining ground in app support. Therefore I have pulled the trigger on purchasing a new phone that is not BB10 .

As much as I like the new HP Win10 based phone, BBM is not available for Win10, plus I am not sure about the security. So, I have decided to go with the BlackBerry DTEK60. I hate Android, but not as much as I hate iOS. Many people I have talked too who are using the DTEK60 say the OS experience is not as nice as BB10, but they can install newer versions of apps that will no longer run on BB10. At this point, I need the app support.

At least I am staying with BlackBerry. If they ever decide to get rid of the people making the poor decisions and change the BB10 platform to better suite the general public, I would be happy to change back.

Posted via CB10
    You made a good choice . The dtek60 is an awesome device. I too love bb10. In my opinion best OS that ever existed but never received app support. That as well was the reason I bought a Priv, and now a dtek60
    01-23-17 10:48 PM
    For people who work in multifaceted businesses, they often require a robust communications platform AND apps, so I think two devices is becoming the norm. We are currently exploring alternatives to BB10, but so far have not found anything that can do what we need from a communications perspective. While we're able to use the Web login instead of an app for many situations, this isn't always the case and we're forced to look for a workaround. It seems the "stable" i.e. not always having to tinker with things to get them to work solution, is to carry a bb10 device for communications (and for us, file management) and an IOS device for apps.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose that some employers lock down their phones and employees use personal phones as well. I suspect that very few employers issue two phones if that is what you are suggesting. Today a locked down phone is more likely to be an Android or iphone.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 11:27 PM
    BB10 is the best OS around but undervalued. It is a fact that to be stong in a market, it is not about how good your are, but how the people look at it. And as far as we can see, the public doesn't really favour BlackBerry or BB10.

As for myself, I will keep my Passport as long as I can. But I can't get away from whatsapp due to my job, etc. Need to move on. As hard as it will get me, sometimes you just have to accept it.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2813
    01-23-17 11:28 PM
    So, I've bought new and unknown Z10 with BB10 at my own risk to not buy Android or iOS... to be forced now by BB to buy Android?

Will be never back to BB for that scam.
    01-24-17 06:55 AM
    BB10 is the best OS around but undervalued. It is a fact that to be stong in a market, it is not about how good your are, but how the people look at it. And as far as we can see, the public doesn't really favour BlackBerry or BB10.

As for myself, I will keep my Passport as long as I can. But I can't get away from whatsapp due to my job, etc. Need to move on. As hard as it will get me, sometimes you just have to accept it.

A huge, huge part of BB10's failure was lack of top apps at launch. The Z10 really did have good initial sales, but a LOT of those phones were returned once the buyers couldn't get the apps they were accustomed to using. Learning a new OS is easy. I can get around the OS on Android, IOS, BBOS, Windows Mobile, and BB10 pretty well. They all become intuitive after a while. But when the software support isn't there, the OS itself cannot stand alone.
    early2bed and werkregen like this.
    01-24-17 11:40 AM
    Let's be honest here... Blackberry 10 was DOA the moment it came out half baked. I bought a z10 from att at launch.. only to have it be striken with the reboot bug that make it reboot like 30 times a day. Returned it and didn't return to BB10 until I bought a passport. The Z10 should have never been a flagship launch device. Even if the OS wasn't full of problems from the get go... the hardware wasn't very impressive....

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 09:47 PM
    A huge, huge part of BB10's failure was lack of top apps at launch. The Z10 really did have good initial sales, but a LOT of those phones were returned once the buyers couldn't get the apps they were accustomed to using. Learning a new OS is easy. I can get around the OS on Android, IOS, BBOS, Windows Mobile, and BB10 pretty well. They all become intuitive after a while. But when the software support isn't there, the OS itself cannot stand alone.
    Other things that contributed to its downfall are buggy Z10 handsets and a half baked OS on their initial release.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-24-17 10:31 PM
    Let's be honest here... Blackberry 10 was DOA the moment it came out half baked. I bought a z10 from att at launch.. only to have it be striken with the reboot bug that make it reboot like 30 times a day. Returned it and didn't return to BB10 until I bought a passport. The Z10 should have never been a flagship launch device. Even if the OS wasn't full of problems from the get go... the hardware wasn't very impressive....

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, but the counterargument is that every new OS comes out with bugs and gets better. I guess BlackBerry didn't have room for so much error on launch.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 11:23 PM
    They didn't. I don't know if they could have succeeded against two fully developed ecosystems. It had to be perfect and the hardware needed to be a lot better to ever have a chance.

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 11:25 PM
    At the launch 9900 owners etc were wondering what happened to their favourite apps from BBOS. Then they wondered whether native apps would come. Then they wondered how long Snap would last. Then they wondered whether Amazon was the solution. Then they wondered if Runtime would be updated. Then they wondered....

Posted via CB10
    petekohn123 likes this.
    01-24-17 11:34 PM
    They didn't. I don't know if they could have succeeded against two fully developed ecosystems. It had to be perfect and the hardware needed to be a lot better to ever have a chance.

Posted via CB10
    But I am one of the "crazy" people that believes BB10 could have survived as recently as the launch of the Passport if BB knew about marketing.
    01-25-17 12:17 AM

It is ALL about how good you are. BB10 want good enough for enough people to keep afloat.

For people to have a positive view of a product over time, the product has to be good.
    01-25-17 12:34 AM
    But I am one of the "crazy" people that believes BB10 could have survived as recently as the launch of the Passport if BB knew about marketing.
    Nah, marketing really wouldn't have helped in my estimation. BBRY ceded its advantages by launching an arguably incomplete OS way too late.

Not a lot to market at the time.
    01-25-17 12:37 AM
    Nah, marketing really wouldn't have helped in my estimation. BBRY ceded its advantages by launching an arguably incomplete OS way too late.

Not a lot to market at the time.
    Karate yes, or Karate no. They should have tried to resurrect the brand or just close shop. Now it looks like a zombie company.
    01-25-17 01:15 AM
    I just want a BlackBerry designed all touch Android phone. Want that BlackBerry DNA.

Posted via CB10
    01-25-17 01:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    Mine had been rebooting because of weak contact with battery. A simply put a small piece of paper between BB's frame and battery and it stopped rebooting. But I do agree, that it's too much for a flagship.
    Last edited by Kot Prada; 01-26-17 at 06:22 AM.
    01-25-17 07:22 AM
    You made a good choice . The dtek60 is an awesome device. I too love bb10. In my opinion best OS that ever existed but never received app support. That as well was the reason I bought a Priv, and now a dtek60
    Yes, he made a good choice... HP with Win 10 is awesome.
    01-25-17 07:23 AM
    You say this in every forum. Forgetting just for a moment there was no ecosystem to market against IOS/Android, with exactly what money did BlackBerry have to use for marketing? The money that came from Prem/Fairfax was never available for marketing.
    01-25-17 08:53 AM
    Nine had been rebooting because of weak contact with battery. A simply put a small piece of paper between BB's frame and battery and it stopped rebooting. But I do agree, that it's too much for a flagship.
    Just nine? I would say that at least they were ten...

But in reality, every OS has issues and there are returns in every device, but the problem is how many issues you have and how you face them... if I like this and that about this device/OS, there is a chance I will overlook issue a... but if besides issue a I also have to face issue b, c and d, issues that I don't have in other platforms, then I feel more aggravated by the issue a, which alone I could live with... that's the human nature... sadly bb10 came late, and with issues... half baked/lack of apps were real issues for a lot of people, considering that many didn't even know about it or were wiling to try it out since they were happy/too invested in their current platform...
    01-25-17 09:19 AM
    I don't think they had a chance being so late to the market. BB10 was a solution looking for a "problem" very few people had.

There is a reason no entirely new desktop OS has been developed since.... forever; everybody just does incremental updates to the same OS. That reason is the application ecosystem. for a large company it relatively easy to build a new OS (given enough time), but getting support from developers is the hard part.

Let us look at the desktop OSs (we will consider Windows, MacOS and the various Linux distros) and some functions they serve:
    1. browsing, office and movie/music utility: for these functions ANY OS will do just fine
    2. professional apps: depending on your needs, you have a higher chance of having those apps on your Windows or MacOS. For example, I use Photoshop and no replacement comes even close for me on a Linux Distro
    3. gaming: for this Windows will be your best bet again due to better driver support, game ecosystem and lower hardware price
    4. OS for servers: depending what you need you will go with Windows or Linux
    5. development/coding machine: All 3 OSs will do fine here (I prefer Linux personally for this).

As you can see above, Linux distros do have their use, but if you have to rely on certain applications to do your work, it is not a suitable OS.

BB10 falls in the same category as the linux distros. it does the same basic stuff as all other OSs (in this case category 1), but falls short on the others. Also mobile OSs have no equivalent to categories 4 and 5 which Linux actually does well.

Also Linux has another advantage that BB10 does not: it attracts the tinkerers, AKA the geeks who like to change low level stuff to make the OS more to their liking. Android has won these people with the ability to root the phone and change anything. Think about this: Cyanogenmod (the most popular ROM for Android) has over 25 million user worldwide (as reported last year), more than the BB10 userbase.

Those with knowledge can change a rooted Android phone enough to minimize a lot of privacy concerns to make BB10 not worth it for them.

The mobile OS market has converged around 2 main OSs (with Windows10 and BB10 distant thirds and fourth), just like the desktop OS market has before it.

The main takeway is that BB10 came with a solution to a problem very few people had. The normal way of things is "oohhh I have a problem... let's find a solution", not "I have a solution, now let's look for problems where I can apply the solution".
    DrBoomBotz and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-25-17 10:22 AM
    You say this in every forum. Forgetting just for a moment there was no ecosystem to market against IOS/Android, with exactly what money did BlackBerry have to use for marketing? The money that came from Prem/Fairfax was never available for marketing.
    "Blackberry 10: Because apps are for kids and idiots!"

"Blackberry 10: Because you don't know what you really want!"

"Blackberry 10: Because all you really need from a $500 phone is text and email!"

I'm sure any of those would have worked just fine.
    01-25-17 10:36 AM
    "Blackberry 10: Because apps are for kids and idiots!"

"Blackberry 10: Because you don't know what you really want!"

"Blackberry 10: Because all you really need from a $500 phone is text and email!"

I'm sure any of those would have worked just fine.
    "BlackBerry 10: REEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-25-17 12:40 PM
595 ... 678910 ...