I've had a nexus, moto g and other android devices. Every single one of them within 2 months are laggy asf! At least with BB10 it never lags. Well not mine anyway. Q10FTW

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 05:04 PM
    My Android does not lag and it is not a flagship. Not sure why that is. I do not fiddle with it.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-17 07:10 PM
    I've had a nexus, moto g and other android devices. Every single one of them within 2 months are laggy asf! At least with BB10 it never lags. Well not mine anyway. Q10FTW

Posted via CB10
    I've tried HTC One M8 from the box for a few hours, and it was extremely laggy (even switching menu had freezes).

Android on modern high-end devices reminds me something like Lamborghini on square wheels.
    How s***y should be OS to freeze such a high-performance hardware in modern devices?!
    01-22-17 07:24 AM
    Since anecdotes are now fact, my fiancee's Nexus 6P has never been laggy or locked up since she got it 5 months ago.
    Ronindan and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-22-17 07:31 AM
    Stay away from Android devices! They'll give you cooties!
    Ronindan likes this.
    01-22-17 09:05 AM
    I'm leaving BlackBerry once I am up for an upgrade. It's way too overprotective that some sites are blocked and I can't even make it as an exception. For example, condonow.com

Also when I browse reddit, I think the browser blocks gifycat. and it won't allow me to make an exception.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-17 10:13 AM
    I'm leaving BlackBerry once I am up for an upgrade. It's way too overprotective that some sites are blocked and I can't even make it as an exception. For example, condonow.com

Also when I browse reddit, I think the browser blocks gifycat. and it won't allow me to make an exception.

Posted via CB10
    Use Browsie Browser and change the user agent to iPhone or Android.
    01-22-17 10:15 AM
    Wow, you guys seem to have covered pretty much everything. Interesting and enlightening, seriously. There's just one thing I haven't seen explicitly stated on any thread. I frequently read "Pick the OS that's best for you" framed in a way that it suggests it's the individuals subjective choice. People often work/live within parameters they do not set. I might be WILLING to spend hours tweaking Cobalt's packages to coax android apps to run properly, but my willingness to do so does NOT make the time or the necessary skill set magically appear. I personally use few apps and those I do tend to fall under the category of 'want' rather then 'need'. I cannot use my Classic to secure (discounted!) parking at my destination before I leave my house. If I'm parked at a municipal lot and need to stay longer than I've paid for, I can't use my Classic to feed the virtual meter to avoid a ticket. I can't use my Classic to check which of two transit routes will be the faster at that particular moment. I do a lot of freelance work, so I'm sure you see the problem. I rarely use any social networking apps, but they need to function for me as they're my prime way of contacting some people.

While one could argue that these are technically 'wants' and not 'needs', there are costs to not having access to some of these apps. These costs are growing. At present the speed and efficiency of handling texts and e-mails on my Classic outweigh the costs, but the balance seems to be shifting rather rapidly.

Are there workarounds to many of the obstacles I face by using my Classic? Yes, there are. But who, exactly, is going to pay me my freelance rate for the hours it'd take me to make everything work smoothly? Nobody. Having apps that "just work" is not a personal preference

Most likely I'll grin and bear it until the Mercury comes along. Once it does I'll make the decision to which BlackDroid I'll jump to. My point is that not all of us are driven solely by 'want'. What's "best" for many of us is determined more by external, objectively measurable factors than any internal, subjective ones. I *want* to stay with my Classic and my back-up Q10. But there are slowly rising empirical costs to doing so. That rise will not stop in response to my wants or to anything else connected to me as a person.

My leaving OS10 will be neither my choice, my preference, nor my 'want'. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation.
    01-22-17 10:29 AM

Posted via CB10
    Which Nexus? Every nexus after nexus 4 is buttery smooth and there is no trace of lag. Two months? Sisters nexus 5 is on 5.1.1 since april of 2015 and phone is smooth and never lags. She reboots it every 3 months or so. I reboot my nexus once a month when security updates are available and thats that, no lag.
    So i tend to think that your story is a lie.
    01-22-17 12:21 PM
    keyboardsrock's post is essentially the most reasonable post i've seen on this forum. I've got a Classic as i've mentioned in a few posts now. And as much as I like it, I have to admit that my iPhone SE is doing the bulk of the work in the background. I've been contracting (going job to job for a short period each time) and my Blackberry was unable to run apps I need for work purposes. That alone should be enough to make me leave the platform, but I stuck with it. Friends and family use snapchat - I can't use it on my BB10. So I had to install it on my iPhone. Next up - facebook messenger - there are some OK apps in the BB store, or I can use the web, but Facebook pulled native support which is a bummer.

Now, I have to photograph and upload my days work (installing servers and the like) to OneDrive or Indeed for reference/sending via email to project managers. You guessed it - no compatible app for BB10. I often upload using boxcryptor - again, no app on BB10 for that. Paypal app was pulled - which means I can't pay bills on the go, I have to use my iPhone for that. NFC with secure payments - well, I have to use that for when i'm working and pop out somewhere for lunch... VPN for secure surfing? My VPN provider doesn't make a BB10 app and the android version wont work on my BB10 device...

And the list goes on. I'm almost forced to abandon my Blackberry because almost everything I need to do requires an app, or a function that I just simply don't have on my Classic. I've said it before, but the Classic is a gorgeous looking phone. The keys feel nice to press but the OS is severely limited by apps and it's at the point now where i'm having to carry around 2 phones everywhere I go because I know the iPhone will complete anything that I can't do on my BB10 device. So I fully understand where keyboardsrock is coming from. It's not even a choice for some people - for people who need to "get stuff done" - BB10 just isn't cutting it like it used to which is a huge shame but a pill we've got to swallow.
    01-22-17 01:16 PM
    keyboardsrock's post is essentially the most reasonable post i've seen on this forum. I've got a Classic as i've mentioned in a few posts now. And as much as I like it, I have to admit that my iPhone SE is doing the bulk of the work in the background. I've been contracting (going job to job for a short period each time) and my Blackberry was unable to run apps I need for work purposes. That alone should be enough to make me leave the platform, but I stuck with it. Friends and family use snapchat - I can't use it on my BB10. So I had to install it on my iPhone. Next up - facebook messenger - there are some OK apps in the BB store, or I can use the web, but Facebook pulled native support which is a bummer.

Now, I have to photograph and upload my days work (installing servers and the like) to OneDrive or Indeed for reference/sending via email to project managers. You guessed it - no compatible app for BB10. I often upload using boxcryptor - again, no app on BB10 for that. Paypal app was pulled - which means I can't pay bills on the go, I have to use my iPhone for that. NFC with secure payments - well, I have to use that for when i'm working and pop out somewhere for lunch... VPN for secure surfing? My VPN provider doesn't make a BB10 app and the android version wont work on my BB10 device...

And the list goes on. I'm almost forced to abandon my Blackberry because almost everything I need to do requires an app, or a function that I just simply don't have on my Classic. I've said it before, but the Classic is a gorgeous looking phone. The keys feel nice to press but the OS is severely limited by apps and it's at the point now where i'm having to carry around 2 phones everywhere I go because I know the iPhone will complete anything that I can't do on my BB10 device. So I fully understand where keyboardsrock is coming from. It's not even a choice for some people - for people who need to "get stuff done" - BB10 just isn't cutting it like it used to which is a huge shame but a pill we've got to swallow.
    ^This, kind of sums up the productivity & being social debate. One can be as productive on iOs/ android as be social on it. But we cannot say that about bb10.
    01-22-17 02:41 PM
    ^This, kind of sums up the productivity & being social debate. One can be as productive on iOs/ android as be social on it. But we cannot say that about bb10.
    Don't worry, someone will come along and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Ronindan and Bbnivende like this.
    01-22-17 03:36 PM

Can you not use the File Manager built in Onedrive link? I just select the pics, then hit share, click the Connect to OneDrive and then click Upload. As for PayPal, even though the android app works for me, I prefer to place a shortcut on my desktop and use their mobile website. You can do everything on that mobile webapp. Maybe not at elegant as the iOS app but for me it works great. Not sure about your other mentions here, but I have no trouble doing those 2 things that you have mentioned. No harm in trying them anyway.
    Kot Prada likes this.
    01-22-17 03:51 PM
    Can you not use the File Manager built in Onedrive link? I just select the pics, then hit share, click the Connect to OneDrive and then click Upload. As for PayPal, even though the android app works for me, I prefer to place a shortcut on my desktop and use their mobile website. You can do everything on that mobile webapp. Maybe not at elegant as the iOS app but for me it works great. Not sure about your other mentions here, but I have no trouble doing those 2 things that you have mentioned. No harm in trying them anyway.
    Because it's sensitive information, I have to use boxcryptor. Using boxcryptor and onedrive doesn't seem to play nicely on the Classic. I admit i've not spent hours upon hours trying to resolve it purely because I can accomplish the task easily and without any issues on my iPhone SE. I'll try it again on the Classic to be 100% sure it's not possible, but these days I just want an app to work and spend very little (if any) time on workarounds. I think that's the stage most of us are getting to now
    01-23-17 10:12 AM
    Because it's sensitive information, I have to use boxcryptor. Using boxcryptor and onedrive doesn't seem to play nicely on the Classic. I admit i've not spent hours upon hours trying to resolve it purely because I can accomplish the task easily and without any issues on my iPhone SE. I'll try it again on the Classic to be 100% sure it's not possible, but these days I just want an app to work and spend very little (if any) time on workarounds. I think that's the stage most of us are getting to now
    Ah, yes. I have never even heard of Boxcryptor. I totally agree that the app situation is grim and unworkable for many, many business situations. For me and my simple needs that share to Onedrive is really simple and quick but for your situation it sounds unworkable for sensitive pics or docs.
    01-23-17 11:36 AM
    I do not have a PC or the technical patience to patch apps. I wish there was an easier way to use GPS on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-23-17 at 12:38 PM.
    01-23-17 11:39 AM
    easier way to use GPS.
    There is. Get an android device, Blackberry or otherwise.
    01-23-17 11:48 AM
    I do not have a PC or the technical patience to patch apps. I wish there was an easier way to use GPS on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    I personally don't mind tinkering a bit with apps, but i've spent more time this week fiddling with apks than I care to discuss. I've had issues with facebook, whatsapp etc and some more mainstream apps that require a higher runtime version. It has resulted in me going back and running old apks. Now the problem with running old apks is that you're running old software. Old software is usually littered with bugs and security issues. So i'm knowingly introducing my BB10 device to android software vulnerabilities.

Of course, this gets very hypothetical very quickly. Because an attacker would have to take advantage of a vuln in my software, figure out i'm running runtime 4, look for a runtime 4 vulnerability and so on. It's all theoretical and probably very hard to do. And i'm sure the very, very little data I have on my BB Classic isn't worth the effort.

The main issue is having the time to look around forums, find software, check it works, if it doesn't, find more software, check it etc. If someone can convince me otherwise, i'd be grateful, but I get the impression that a lot of android apps that currently work on BB10 will cease to work soon. That will (imo) be the final death blow to my Classic. And I know Blackberry wont fix it because they want us to buy the new Blackberry DTEK range. It all boils down to consumerism.
    01-23-17 04:50 PM
    I can't speak for other folks, but my personal mobile needs are quite spartan. Bb10 works just fine on my passport for me. If I lost my cell phone and didn't replace it, I don't think i'd skip much of a beat. I would be just fine with a feature phone, too. Other needs, I could use my desktop like I've always done in the past.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-23-17 05:04 PM
    You're the EXACT type of BB10 fanboy I was talking about. I do like physical keyboards FYI - I just thought that the tiny keyboard on the 9320 was cramped - numerous professional reviewers said the exact same thing.

If you don't think boot time matters - then wow - you're the kind of person who would choose an IDE hard drive over an SSD. Of course it matters - it matters a great deal.

Actually you're wrong - the 15 second boot of Android IS a hard boot. My cyanogenmod android can even boot within 20 seconds and only has 1gb ram and a relatively slow processor. My friend's Galaxy boots quickly and my family members' Moto G4 boots relatively quickly as well (from a completely turned off device).

I'm going to record a video for you because you clearly have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about regarding your last comment: "Hey, try sending two different file types as an attachment in your stock email app on ios btw. Let's see how long that takes"

Here's my video for you Mad_MDX

Can't get to the video.....is it still up?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 07:37 PM
    If someone can convince me otherwise, i'd be grateful, but I get the impression that a lot of android apps that currently work on BB10 will cease to work soon.
    Some apps may continue to work for years, and others will not. Android versions 4.3 and below currently represent less than 15% of the active Android userbase, and that number is falling fast - in 6 months you can expect that number to be about 5%.

Many developers will at some point (and some already have) target only higher versions of Android that support functions and features that aren't available in v4.3 and lower. As that happens, new/current versions of the app will no longer work on the BB10 Android runtime. Older versions of the app may work or may not, depending on whether those apps connect to databases or other cloud-based services in order to function - much like WhatsApp, some developers will need to block older clients when they make server-side changes to support newer features on the current versions of their app - and they simply can't prioritize people on 3+ year old versions of Android when the vast majority of users are on newer versions.

Some simpler and stand-alone apps may continue to support v4.3 for a long time to come, though, and these apps are very important to some people.

The truth is that every person has their own unique needs and usage patterns, and though some apps (Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Google Maps, etc.) are so widely used that almost everyone needs them, there are hundreds of thousands of apps that most people will never use, but will be critical to their target market. It's a lot like TV channels - most people only watch a dozen TV channels at most, despite subscribing to 100+ channels - but everyone seems to watch a different dozen channels than their neighbors or their family, so a channel that one person may have never watched may be the most important channel for someone else.

And I know Blackberry wont fix it because they want us to buy the new Blackberry DTEK range. It all boils down to consumerism.
    BB gave up the ability to make updates when they signed the license to GMS and Google Play for the Priv and other BB Android devices. Once you sign that license, you agree not to include any non-Google-Certified Android code in any of your products, which covers the BB10 runtime. BB could strip the runtime out entirely and do whatever they liked with BB10, or they could use a non-Android-based OS all the liked - but anything contains Android code going forward has to be a fully Google-certified Android device, with all of the requirements that entails.
    01-23-17 07:40 PM
    Well said,ive never understood the argument over what os you use or the hatred some people have for other users of android or ios,i don't like those platforms but if other people want to use them so be it,its only a phone at the end of the day.

Posted via CB10
    It's true. I think it got its start when people began buying a phone not for the utility it offered, or what it could do, but because it was the "cool" device to have.

Head over to a pickup truck forum, you'll see the same debates....."My Chevy will crush your Ford, and your Dodge is a piece." "No, my Ford will own both of you!". Etc, Etc.

On some level, it's human nature I guess.

Personally, I'm just interested in how well the device allows me to operate the businesses we're involved in......neither IOS nor Android are particularly well suited for the task though. I don't have social media accounts, so Facebook doesn't even register. For someone else, not having a Facebook App is devastating and significantly life altering.

BlackBerry 10 seemed to better understand the nuanced challenges that business users face, with robust communication platforms, file managers, expandable storage, multitasking, privacy, etc. The functionality made us more productive in the way we utilize the device. As others have pointed out, the Blackberry Android offerings probably get you close from a productivity standpoint, but android inherently (and by design) lacks privacy. This makes many people uncomfortable, and probably forces them to IOS.....which lacks certain productivity features.....which then forces us back to BB10....which is a dead/dying OS....so many of us are stuck in a loop looking for the device to function the way we need, except that it doesn't seem to exist. Its all causing a lot of frustration in the Crackberry Forums lately.

Posted via CB10
    werkregen and keyboardsrock like this.
    01-23-17 08:28 PM
  23. tegar ramadhanu kariadinata's Avatar
    Ohhh nooo I dont

 Passport Silver Edition SQW-100-4 / 10.3.3.2049
    01-23-17 09:11 PM

For people who work in multifaceted businesses, they often require a robust communications platform AND apps, so I think two devices is becoming the norm. We are currently exploring alternatives to BB10, but so far have not found anything that can do what we need from a communications perspective. While we're able to use the Web login instead of an app for many situations, this isn't always the case and we're forced to look for a workaround. It seems the "stable" i.e. not always having to tinker with things to get them to work solution, is to carry a bb10 device for communications (and for us, file management) and an IOS device for apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 09:29 PM
    What exactly is boxcryptor? I assume it encrypts data that's to be stored in the cloud?

Posted via CB10
    01-23-17 09:30 PM
595 ... 56789 ...