I understand fully.

But direct your anger to Jim and Mike in 2007.
    I better understand your defense of the current regime since you have friends there. But Chen deserves blame for where they are now. People were drooling over the Passport when it launched. I mean friends of all ages that were iPhone users were mentioning it to me before I owned one. They saw it on the news.

What did Chen do? He had no product and to sell for 3-4 months. Then he invested nearly zero in marketing. He bungled and short-changed every release under his watch. The fact that people still don't think of BlackBerry as an existing business speaks volumes. He is not a top flight tech CEO because he doesn't understand marketing.

When it came to Android, he again showed his tone defness and lack of marketing savvy. Who names a "flagship" device "Priv." I would be embarrassed to say the name to my parents.

This has all been said before but unless your friend is Chen's nephew that did the website for awhile, I would not be defending him so much.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and Fool Guy like this.
    01-19-17 02:26 PM
    I better understand your defense of the current regime since you have friends there. But Chen deserves blame for where they are now. People were drooling over the Passport when it launched. I mean friends of all ages that were iPhone users were mentioning it to me before I owned one. They saw it on the news.

What did Chen do? He had no product and to sell for 3-4 months. Then he invested nearly zero in marketing. He bungled and short-changed every release under his watch. The fact that people still don't think of BlackBerry as an existing business speaks volumes. He is not a top flight tech CEO because he doesn't understand marketing.

When it came to Android, he again showed his tone defness and lack of marketing savvy. Who names a "flagship" device "Priv." I would be embarrassed to say the name to my parents.

This has all been said before but unless your friend is Chen's nephew that did the website for awhile, I would not be defending him so much.

Posted via CB10
    Your n=4 friends does not extrapolate to the entire population.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 01-19-17 at 03:16 PM.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-19-17 02:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    The fact that I know a few people that work there has nothing to do with my views of the organization - apart from better appreciating the interesting work they do.

BlackBerry knew full well that the Passport, Classic, and Leap were not going to save BB10 no matter how much good money after bad was pumped into them. A massive marketing campaign would more likely sink the company than extract any significantly more sales.

Chen's job was to string things along, on a shoestring budget, for as long as it took to build a software portfolio. That is what he was specifically hired to do.
    01-19-17 03:05 PM
    Passport reviews were mixed at best. They targeted the medical community but failed.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 03:25 PM
    Your n=4 friends does not extrapolate to the entire population.

Posted via CB10
    You're right. We need a scientific study for every conclusion we make. Anecdotal evidence is never telling.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 06:31 PM
    Passport reviews were mixed at best. They targeted the medical community but failed.

Posted via CB10
    I dare you to find a doctor who ever heard of the Passport. I remember the ads too. No one ever saw them or a sample device.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 06:33 PM
    BlackBerry knew full well that the Passport, Classic, and Leap were not going to save BB10 no matter how much good money after bad was pumped into them.
    This is the "I meant to do that" theory. I don't buy it for a second.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 06:37 PM
    This is the "I meant to do that" theory. I don't buy it for a second.

Posted via CB10
    They only made a few hundred thousand Passports. They obviously had no intention on selling the 10 million BB10 devices that they needed just to break even.
    01-19-17 06:53 PM
    I dare you to find a doctor who ever heard of the Passport. I remember the ads too. No one ever saw them or a sample device.

Posted via CB10
    I said they targeted it to them. I never said it was adopted. BlackBerry had videos of "doctors" looking at xrays on it.

I work at a top medical center in the US, and all the doctors have dumped their BlackBerry phones for iPhones and Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 07:08 PM
    I said they targeted it to them. I never said it was adopted. BlackBerry had videos of "doctors" looking at xrays on it.

I work at a top medical center in the US, and all the doctors have dumped their BlackBerry phones for iPhones and Android phones.

Posted via CB10
    They dropped their BBOS phones. Now ask around who heard of the Passport. If Chen targeted this tiny subset of his "prosumer" market, surely someone must have heard of it.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 07:48 PM
    They dropped their BBOS phones. Now ask around who heard of the Passport. If Chen targeted this tiny subset of his "prosumer" market, surely someone must have heard of it.

Posted via CB10
    No they wouldn't. The medical center dropped BES. Residents are being issued iPads. All the software they use relevant to patient care is not available for BB10. And other apps they may use that require critical updates regarding the latest info on drug interactions is also not available for BB10 and the Android apps that used to work on BB10 runtime no longer do or would not update with critical information.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 08:05 PM
    You should give much more credit for what they've been doing recently. I know people who work there, and there is world-class development going on. Combine that with some great acquisitions, and they may get out of this mess after all.
    I have no idea what they're doing now, and no interest in it. as far as i'm concerned they've lost their way and aren't long for this world. they had it all and they blew it big time.
    I feel quite a bit of rage at chen for killing the worlds best mobile OS and discontinuing my beloved hardware. dont say the market killed it...it was fumbled by inept businessmen.
    That's the spirit!
    01-19-17 08:46 PM
    No they wouldn't. The medical center dropped BES. Residents are being issued iPads. All the software they use relevant to patient care is not available for BB10. And other apps they may use that require critical updates regarding the latest info on drug interactions is also not available for BB10 and the Android apps that used to work on BB10 runtime no longer do or would not update with critical information.

Posted via CB10
    Then Blackberry overlooked some important things if it were going to sell to doctors. I wonder how much effort they spent trying to get these key apps on BB10. Did they also not really want to sell to doctors but: were just killing time until Chen's software money started rolling in?

Each time Chen tried to target a little market he thought was a sure thing he failed. Like that phone named after an Asian city.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 01:45 AM
    Quick frankly, I’m extremely reluctant to give up on BlackBerry 10 but the stark reality of its rapid decline and possibly, eventual demise has begun to affect my own functionality. The general lack of apps that has always plagued BB 10 is now compounded by steadily diminishing support of the OS as well as lack of new features. Blackberry has, undoubtedly, been able to produce some of the best features in mobile phone and email communication. Productivity, efficiency and security have always been their greatest hallmark features with less emphasis on apps. However, BlackBerry’s often slow (or lack of) efforts to develop and produce apps that appeal to the larger consumer market has failed to put it alongside the ranks of Samsung and Apple. From a business perspective the current status quo is neither sustainable nor profitable. The existing number of diehard supporters, like myself, is just not large enough to justify continued product support and market competition with the bigger players. Therefore, after several months of agonizing deliberation but with much sadness, I finally decided to jump onto the Android bandwagon with a low-cost DTEK50 (BlackDroid). So far, this Android incarnation has proven to be quite excellent value for money both from a hardware and software standpoint. Despite this, though, I still intend to keep holding onto my beloved BlackBerry Classic as backup for as long as possible. For me, the BlackBerry physical keyboard is still, by far, the best mobile editing tool and it’s much more reliable and effective than any virtual, on-screen one that I've used. Quite often, when using the touch-sensitive, on-screen keyboard of my DTEK50 I would become so frustrated by frequent typos that I would eventually have to revert back to the Classic to finish tasks. File management is another Android gripe although it may be argued that a variety of alternatives are available from the Play Store. Overall, whilst my experience with BlackDroid does afford greater quantity and variety, the quality of apps and their efficiency still leaves much to be desired.

Posted via CB10
    werkregen likes this.
    01-20-17 10:36 AM
    Then Blackberry overlooked some important things if it were going to sell to doctors. I wonder how much effort they spent trying to get these key apps on BB10. Did they also not really want to sell to doctors but: were just killing time until Chen's software money started rolling in?

Each time Chen tried to target a little market he thought was a sure thing he failed. Like that phone named after an Asian city.

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry probably decided to stop major investments into BB10 in 2013 just before Chen came on board. As Conite said the mission was string the hardware along until it could be axed without killing the company. Short answer they gave up.
    01-20-17 11:09 AM
    BlackBerry probably decided to stop major investments into BB10 in 2013 just before Chen came on board. As Conite said the mission was string the hardware along until it could be axed without killing the company. Short answer they gave up.
    Companies don't lose money on purpose to "string things along.".if this were true, why buy any advertisements at all? Why do the "Work Wide" campaign? Why develop and launch the Classic.

If the deification of Chen makes us feel better, I guess that's fine.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    01-20-17 11:15 AM
    Companies don't lose money on purpose to "string things along.".if this were true, why buy any advertisements at all? Why do the "Work Wide" campaign? Why develop and launch the Classic.

If the deification of Chen makes us feel better, I guess that's fine.

Posted via CB10
    I'm guessing they thought they would have lost more if they just killed hardware. BIS revenue would have been gone almost overnight. That along with whatever brand cache they had leftover.

Add in the fact that development of the devices had already been paid for and that scrapping them would have been a total waste.
    Devices are in development well over a year before they are released. Remember a lot of the BB10 road map was scrapped. The Passport and Classic are merely survivors.

Simple fact is BlackBerry simple did not have the funds to keep fighting to make BB10 mainstream and whether through ineptness or market circumstances they couldn't find a profitable niche for it either.
    01-20-17 11:27 AM
    Companies don't lose money on purpose to "string things along.".if this were true, why buy any advertisements at all?
    Posted via CB10
    It's managed withdrawal from devices to keep their feet in the enterprise space.
    01-20-17 11:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    It was coupled with the Work Wide campaign.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 02:06 PM
    Add in the fact that development of the devices had already been paid for and that scrapping them would have been a total waste.
    Devices are in development well over a year before they are released. Remember a lot of the BB10 road map was scrapped. The Passport and Classic are merely survivors.

Simple fact is BlackBerry simple did not have the funds to keep fighting to make BB10 mainstream and whether through ineptness or market circumstances they couldn't find a profitable niche for it either.
    I'm losing patience posting facts to respond to inaccurate statements to support Chen apologist arguments. When was the Leap released in relation to Chen's arrival? The Z3? How about Jakarta? The Classic was in December 2014. Chen became CEO in November 2013. We could go back and listen to Chen talk about what he wanted in the next bb10 device. The Classic was his.

The Passport was a survivor as I understand it. The others were not.

OK, now the argument that BlackBerry "did not have the funds..." Funds for what? To update BB10 more? To release a new flagship touchscreen device? How much do you think they needed to do this? They had plenty of cash after Prem Watsa's cash infusion. They had so much cash that they went on an acquisition spree. Some people even criticized how much debt BlackBerry took from Watsa because it was too much and hurt equity holders.

I don't blame Chen for bb10's failure. I blame him (and the board/Watsa) for not believing in their products and not having any marketing savvy so that bb10 had a chance after it matured.

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 and iled like this.
    01-20-17 02:20 PM
    Bye mate, but why to buy blackdroid, there are better device compared to the failure, overpricing Dtek's and Priv.

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 02:37 PM

I don't blame Chen for bb10's failure. I blame him (and the board/Watsa) for not believing in their products and not having any marketing savvy so that bb10 had a chance after it matured.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 didn't have a chance in 2013, 2011, or let alone in 2014 when it "matured".
    01-20-17 02:38 PM
    The best does not always win, and good does not always triumph over evil.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-20-17 02:49 PM
    What did Chen do? He had no product and to sell for 3-4 months. Then he invested nearly zero in marketing.
    How much was invested in marketing? I remember they had Passport stock issues around launch but I don't remember it being a months long issue, do you have a source for that?
    01-20-17 03:16 PM
    The best does not always win, and good does not always triumph over evil.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    1+

Posted via CB10
    01-20-17 03:16 PM
595 ... 34567 ...