you haven't observed many bankruptcies, have you?

Posted via CBX
    01-18-17 06:38 PM

Posted via CBX
    By dumping BB10, bankruptcy may have been staved off.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-18-17 07:03 PM
    so youre saying by not making phones, or software, they now have a viable business?

Posted via CBX
    01-18-17 07:07 PM

Posted via CBX
    There is no need for them to do that.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 07:09 PM
    so youre saying by not making phones, or software, they now have a viable business?

Posted via CBX
    They have a huge software portfolio.
    01-18-17 08:02 PM
    They have a huge software portfolio.
    I don't think they really do. What software generates serious cash flow? Good? QNX? It's all small potatoes from small companies they acquired.

I agree that BK might be coming but as long as Prem's notes are getting paid off not sure how soon.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-17 09:32 PM
    What software generates serious cash flow? Good? QNX? It's all small potatoes from small companies they acquired.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, but it's also a much smaller company now. The costs are becoming much more in line with the revenues.

QNX was acquired 6 years ago. You can't keep discounting Blackberry's role in its continued development.

Good bolsters the Enterprise app offering, but the EMM solution and its integration of Good is all Blackberry.

You have to give credit where credit is due.

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-18-17 10:30 PM
    Crap! You had to go there. Guess what I'm hearing?

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.2163
    Sorry about that Chief. ;-)

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-19-17 06:08 AM
    OS that no longer have Facebook app and more others it is died
    Contrary to the opinion of many people, Facebook is not a necessary entity for continued life and enjoyment of friends (real friends, not imagined) and family. Life was good before Facebook and is still good after one realizes that they are better off without Facebook.

BlackBerry 10 is alive and well for those of us with real lives and the confidence to live without all the extra crap that Facebook brings to life.

elfabio80, blackbp and blackmass like this.
    01-19-17 06:14 AM
    Contrary to the opinion of many people, Facebook is not a necessary entity for continued life and enjoyment of friends (real friends, not imagined) and family. Life was good before Facebook and is still good after one realizes that they are better off without Facebook.

BlackBerry 10 is alive and well for those of us with real lives and the confidence to live without all the extra crap that Facebook brings to life.

I don't use it either, but there are 1.4 billion users worldwide and 158 million in the US. That is a significant amount of users to alienate and a missed opportunity.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 07:12 AM
    You have to give credit where credit is due.
    DTEK60 / Z30
    now who's dreaming?

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 08:39 AM
    now who's dreaming?

Posted via CBX
    I fail to understand the pervasive view that a hated company, populated by a boatload of inept people, managed by a long history of defective management, somehow produced the ultimate OS out of a complete cesspool.

I say, apart from the big mistake of missing the boat on delivering a modern OS on time, they have been fairly effective lately. They are working with what they have, and they are making very good acquisitions.
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-17 at 09:10 AM.
    01-19-17 08:51 AM
    I fail to understand the pervasive view that a hated company, populated by a boatload of inept people, managed by a long history of defective management, somehow produced the ultimate OS out of a complete cesspool.
    but....this wasn't always the case. the company was once a shining beacon of innovation. also, the OS was acquired.

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 09:09 AM
    but....this wasn't always the case. the company was once a shining beacon of innovation. also, the OS was acquired.

Posted via CBX
    You should give much more credit for what they've been doing recently. I know people who work there, and there is world-class development going on. Combine that with some great acquisitions, and they may get out of this mess after all.

2007-2013 were the bad years.

People underestimate the situation that Blackberry was in in the fall of 2013. BBOS users were leaving in droves causing a death spiral in BIS revenue. BB10 had just been deemed a complete failure after spending billions on it. The current burn rate would have Blackberry out of business in 12 months.

And here we are, still alive 3.5 years later, with a substantial software portfolio, and close to sustainable profits.
    Last edited by conite; 01-19-17 at 09:29 AM.
    blackmass and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-19-17 09:12 AM
    Combine that with some great acquisitions, and they may get out of this mess after all.

2008-2013 were the bad years.
    I have no idea what they're doing now, and no interest in it. as far as i'm concerned they've lost their way and aren't long for this world. they had it all and they blew it big time.

as a side note, i'm probably one of the first people on crackberry to have used qnx. it was 1997, I was living in ottawa at the time. they had a distribution on a floppy disk (1.44MB for those who don't know!) it was a full desktop real-time operating system...windowed, word processor, full stack, browser etc included and would run on the simplest most antiquated machines...it was very impressive.

i've had (and still have) at least a dozen different blackberry models...dating back to y2k. at first they were given to me by my employers, but i've since spent my own money on several of them.
    I absolutely love my passport, i'm convinced it will go down it history as the supreme smartphone of the smartphone era.

i'm a 100% linux user at home and work (along with some other *nixes) since 1998, and I despise android for its sloppiness, bloat, insecurity, and ties to google.

PS: I drive a '74 dodge and ride a '74 honda. self-driving cars and e-bikes are like the plague to me.

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 09:33 AM
    I don't use it either, but there are 1.4 billion users worldwide and 158 million in the US. That is a significant amount of users to alienate and a missed opportunity.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, but it is Facebook who did this, not anyone else.

01-19-17 09:57 AM
    I have no idea what they're doing now, and no interest in it.

Posted via CBX
    This I totally get, as I can't argue with your needs.

However despite you not knowing or caring about what they are doing now, you are usually first in when bashing the company's capabilities or accomplishments today.
    01-19-17 09:59 AM
    This I totally get, as I can't argue with your needs.

However despite you not knowing or caring about what they are doing now, you are usually first in when bashing the company's capabilities or accomplishments today.
    agreed. I feel quite a bit of rage at chen for killing the worlds best mobile OS and discontinuing my beloved hardware. dont say the market killed it...it was fumbled by inept businessmen.

Posted via CBX
    elfabio80 and Fool Guy like this.
    01-19-17 10:05 AM
    ^^^

I think it was actually a mixture of both. I don't want to flog a dead horse here, but inept businessmen is absolutely correct. Chen, Thurber etc None of them have a clue. They make huge, huge promises and fail to deliver on almost every single one. Time after time. That's a good way of how NOT to conduct business.

And really, let's look at the current state of BB10. I've got my Blackberry classic in front of me, and this is the current situation at the time of writing:

• Blackberry World store is dead - there's absolutely nothing that anyone would want in there. I think we all agree on this
    • You can't put an app on the 'home' screen, it has to be on screen '1' - which == an unnecessary swipe every time you need an app
    • Linkedin app adds all your Linkedin contacts to the phone and you cannot seem to stop them showing up in your GAL (this is beyond stupid. It's....ridiculous. It's so dumb i've had to delete the Linkedin app from my BB Classic)
    • Android runtime is stuck at 4 meaning that a massive, ever-increasing number of android apps now don't work on BB10
    • VPN use is stuck to the old protocol that isn't used (I believe, i've not messed around much with it myself because it's inferior to android/iOS VPN)
    • You can't lock the device by just pressing the button on top of the BB Classic, you have to hold it, then click lock - again, unnecessary. Android and iOS phones can lock with one button.
    • Flight mode - takes a short while to actually turn on flight mode on 10.3.3 - again, rivals turn on flight mode instantly
    • Brightness - on android and iOS you can swipe in a menu and instantly use a brightness slider. To get to brightness settings in BB 10.3.3 you have to: swipe down, swipe right to brightness, tap brightness, then use slider (4 things to do instead of android's 2)

I could go on, and on, and on. But you get the point. BB10 isn't a terrible OS, but it needs mountains of work in order to surpass (not just match, but surpass) android and iOS.

If we're all truly honest with ourselves, we know that Blackberry aren't going to put the time and resources into resurrecting BB10. It'd be a pointless venture at this point, seeing as the market share is so low. BB's market share is 0.2% (source: Windows Phone and BlackBerry OS are fading into nothingness )

0.2% guys - let that sink in. That's.....woeful. When the Classic came out, the specs were already outdated. I like my Classic, but can I have it as a flagship phone?? I've been using it for the past 2 days as my main phone and believe me, i'm struggling BIG TIME. Viber wont work on it. You can only access facebook via the web (the official app is now gone). Most android apps i've tried don't work due to runtime. Linkedin contacts poison your phonebook.

It's a huge shame because I LIKE my BB Classic. I do. There, I said it. I like it. But Blackberry have made the move to android and I think, if Chen is clever, he'll stick to android. I'd love BB11 to come out, fix all these issues and make a huge, beautiful comeback. But i'm being honest with myself - we'll be lucky to see 10.3.4 nevermind BB11.
    01-19-17 10:41 AM
    agreed. I feel quite a bit of rage at chen for killing the worlds best mobile OS and discontinuing my beloved hardware. dont say the market killed it...it was fumbled by inept businessmen.

Posted via CBX
    I understand fully.

But direct your anger to Jim and Mike in 2007.
    01-19-17 10:44 AM
    [QUOTE=conite;12735185]You should give much more credit for what they've been doing recently. I know people who work there, and there is world-class development going on.

....tell us more Conite.... Sometimes I think you work for Blackberry.... And you are paid to write on CB!!!
    01-19-17 11:03 AM
    [QUOTE=elfabio80;12735297]
    You should give much more credit for what they've been doing recently. I know people who work there, and there is world-class development going on.

....tell us more Conite.... Sometimes I think you work for Blackberry.... And you are paid to write on CB!!!
    I think one just needs to look at what they are doing. For example, their software is driving cars around Ontario, helping shipping companies manage shipments, etc. Yes, I wish it was BlackBerry 10 and phones, but they have evolved. Isn't that what a company does for the long term? If they want a future?

Posted via CB10
    01-19-17 11:07 AM

Sometimes I think you work for Blackberry.... And you are paid to write on CB!!!
    No, and no.
    01-19-17 11:08 AM
    ^^^
    I think it was actually a mixture of both. I don't want to flog a dead horse here, but inept businessmen is absolutely correct. Chen, Thurber etc None of them have a clue. They make huge, huge promises and fail to deliver on almost every single one. Time after time. That's a good way of how NOT to conduct business.
    What promises have they made that they failed to deliver on?

[*] You can't put an app on the 'home' screen, it has to be on screen '1' - which == an unnecessary swipe every time you need an app
    You can hide the home screen when apps are closed if you don't need it (Settings -> Display -> set "Show Wallpaper When All Apps Are Closed" to off), this essentially turns your app screen into your first screen.

[*] Brightness - on android and iOS you can swipe in a menu and instantly use a brightness slider. To get to brightness settings in BB 10.3.3 you have to: swipe down, swipe right to brightness, tap brightness, then use slider (4 things to do instead of android's 2)
    I don't think there's a way to show the slider by default but you can move the Brightness setting to the first panel of the drop down menu from Settings -> Quick Settings, that will at least bring it down to 3 steps.
    sidtek50 likes this.
    01-19-17 11:54 AM
    I was going to point that stuff out...but, yeesh. this guy's complaints about bb10 vs. the very public complaints people have had with ios (not cisco) and the other!!

Posted via CBX
    01-19-17 02:18 PM
595 ... 23456 ...