Considering that leadership was jumping ship, the company was about to be sold in pieces and was going to be the next Nortel, Chen has been pretty good righting the ship. Pieces were cut off, but at least the threat of everything going down has been greatly diminished.
    Well, it is well paid to do his job...but when did he jump on BlackBerry ship? How long does he still need to be profitable? Is BlackBerry getting profits?

Yes, the company is alive...but I don't know so well the health status...

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 12:18 PM
    Dreamcast...I still have one, amazing!!

Posted via CB10
    Me too! Great system. Ecco the dolphin, space channel no5, shemnui, dead or alive are my favs.

Phone wise, I'm considering Nokia 8, mercury, or lumia 640xl. Or I could just stay with my passport. Works just fine for my needs.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    elfabio80 and PantherBlitz like this.
    01-13-17 02:00 PM
    Considering that leadership was jumping ship, the company was about to be sold in pieces and was going to be the next Nortel, Chen has been pretty good righting the ship. Pieces were cut off, but at least the threat of everything going down has been greatly diminished.
    The only person to thank for the company still being alive is Prem Watsa who provided the company with more than enough capital, Especially since Chen monetized every asset that he could sell. It does not take an expert CEO to sell hard assets. In fact, the chief financial officer probably performed all of this work.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 02:12 PM
    If you don't think boot time matters - then wow - you're the kind of person who would choose an IDE hard drive over an SSD. Of course it matters - it matters a great deal.
    BB10 takes longer for good reason. From Inside BlackBerry:

Every single time any BlackBerry device in the world boots up, it goes through a complex and unique series of checks to confirm the integrity of each component:

The CPU Embedded Boot ROM verifies the digital signature of the Boot ROM.

The Boot ROM verifies the signing key of the Operating System.

The Operating System verifies the hash of the Base File System.

The Base File System verifies the hashes of all loaded Applications.
    01-13-17 02:21 PM
    i think the sooner they pull out of bb10, they will have more $$ and resources to improve BB's Android experience..
    01-13-17 02:35 PM
    i think the sooner they pull out of bb10, they will have more $$ and resources to improve BB's Android experience..
    They pulled out long, long ago.

DTEK60 / Z30
    01-13-17 02:37 PM
    They pulled out long, long ago.

DTEK60 / Z30
    they telling the public other things.. just released 10.3.3
    just tell us you're out and going to focus on bigger and better things... heck, they even stopped reporting their phone sales, it must be that bad.. pull out completely, and let me make some money on those shares! #BBRY
    01-13-17 02:55 PM
    they telling the public other things.. just released 10.3.3
    just tell us you're out and going to focus on bigger and better things... heck, they even stopped reporting their phone sales, it must be that bad.. pull out completely, and let me make some money on those shares! #BBRY
    Having to write down their unsold BB10 inventory won't help your shares either.
    ikalinin, the1 and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-13-17 03:18 PM

Every single time any BlackBerry device in the world boots up, it goes through a complex and unique series of checks to confirm the integrity of each component:

iOS does exactly the same thing as far as checking the OS isn't rooted, corrupted or otherwise isn't a signed Apple image and iOS boots up extremely quickly on the SE and other devices. I can't remember if it was me and you who have had this debate already, but ultimately, it boils down to BB's hardware being so slow that it cannot complete this task quick enough. The processor that Apple has in their iPhones is so quick that it can do all of this security checking/validation and boot the OS quickly. There really is no excuse for it. Just because it's performing all of those checks shouldn't mean it slows down to a crawl - that shows poor hardware, limitations and general lack of care for the consumer.

Personally, I live and breathe security. I *love* it. I worked in the security industry for a few years. But you take the average consumer and they see an android or iOS device boot up in 20 secs, then show them a BB device and they see it takes a minute. Forget security for a split second - you've lost a sale. It's as simple as that. This isn't the only reason BB has tanked, but it absolutely doesn't help because the general public doesn't give a stuff about security. You only have to see how many people still run jellybean to see that.
    hjc73734 likes this.
    01-13-17 03:44 PM
    it boils down to BB's hardware being so slow that it cannot complete this task quick enough. The processor that Apple has in their iPhones is so quick that it can do all of this security checking/validation and boot the OS quickly. There really is no excuse for it. Just because it's performing all of those checks shouldn't mean it slows down to a crawl - that shows poor hardware, limitations and general lack of care for the consumer.
    Neither of us know the precise machinations that are going on here to be able to make any kind of comparisons. I choose, however, to take BlackBerry at their word that their process is far more involved and time consuming than the competition.

But really, it's a moot point now.
    01-13-17 03:50 PM

It's not a flaw, it's a feature. LOL
    01-13-17 04:12 PM
    Bye bye, VanAwful. Good luck on the Dark Side
    01-13-17 04:37 PM
    iOS does exactly the same thing as far as checking the OS isn't rooted, corrupted or otherwise isn't a signed Apple image and iOS boots up extremely quickly on the SE and other devices. I can't remember if it was me and you who have had this debate already, but ultimately, it boils down to BB's hardware being so slow that it cannot complete this task quick enough. The processor that Apple has in their iPhones is so quick that it can do all of this security checking/validation and boot the OS quickly. There really is no excuse for it. Just because it's performing all of those checks shouldn't mean it slows down to a crawl - that shows poor hardware, limitations and general lack of care for the consumer.

Personally, I live and breathe security. I *love* it. I worked in the security industry for a few years. But you take the average consumer and they see an android or iOS device boot up in 20 secs, then show them a BB device and they see it takes a minute. Forget security for a split second - you've lost a sale. It's as simple as that. This isn't the only reason BB has tanked, but it absolutely doesn't help because the general public doesn't give a stuff about security. You only have to see how many people still run jellybean to see that.
    A lot of good that does when you can jailbreak and iPhone or Root an Android phone then install programs that mask the fact that they have been compromised to the network. I believe that is why BlackBerry used a DTEK chip in their phones so that it can't be Rooted.

Correct me if I'm wrong Conite

Posted via CB10
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    01-13-17 05:28 PM
    You convinced me. When BB10 dies I'm getting a Surface phone if one comes out. MSFT is good compared to evil Google.

Surprised you disliked the Classic so much. The Passport was developed before Chen and is Blackberrys best device ever. Chen released it (poorly) but can't get credit for it.

Posted via CB10
    Considering the **** microsoft pulled with windows 10 and "telemetry updates" to windows 7 and 8, I could never consider any MS product as private and secure.
    01-13-17 06:12 PM
    A lot of good that does when you can jailbreak and iPhone or Root an Android phone then install programs that mask the fact that they have been compromised to the network. I believe that is why BlackBerry used a DTEK chip in their phones so that it can't be Rooted.

Correct me if I'm wrong Conite

Posted via CB10
    It's not a separate chip in the BlackBerry Android devices - it's a feature of the Qualcomm SoC that BlackBerry takes advantage of.

But you're right that both BB10 and BlackBerry Android would never allow any system software on the device not signed by BlackBerry. The iPhone start up sequence is not as robust and thorough.
    01-13-17 06:16 PM
    At least I am staying with BlackBerry. If they ever decide to get rid of the people making the poor decisions and change the BB10 platform to better suite the general public, I would be happy to change back.
    I doubt that'll ever happen. BB-10 is dead. Absolutely, utterly, irrevocably kaput.

Anyway, Android is fine. Really, it is. It's more customizable, works well, and your apps will actually work.
    01-13-17 10:12 PM
    Neither of us know the precise machinations that are going on here to be able to make any kind of comparisons. I choose, however, to take BlackBerry at their word that their process is far more involved and time consuming than the competition.

But really, it's a moot point now.
    Alternatively, consider the SoC and flash memory on BB10 are a few years older than what's in the latest iPhone, so it's not just the OS.

Comparing a Nexus 7 (APQ8064), Priv (MSM8992) and DTEK60 (MSM8996) all on Android Marshmallow, one can truly notice faster boot, app switching, etc. when the hardware gets better.

Qualcomm's best offerings can at best play catchup to Apple's CPU designs, and those are the new Qualcomm chips. Designs from 2012-13 are even more hampered.
    TGIS likes this.
    01-13-17 10:44 PM
    What do you means by "i Hate" ? I do not love apple glitters and commercial policy, but I use their products. If you are a power user apple/javascripting is great on MacOs as on linux, it's not just for n00b and just-plug-it-works users.

But for now the question I ask my self repeatedly is : what a phone must do and what do you do with your phone ? Call quality (mic/sound/signal) and battery life are key feature for a phone. GTD integration and Reminders (for appointment, tasks) are also key feature. everything else is "bonus", form camera to entertainment third-party apps (FB, twitter, games...). Because 99.9% of time I read, answer, action email on my phone that must access to the 3G/4G network. BB10 is still great for that it just need(ed) a better GTD project management tool or exchange integration.
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    01-14-17 02:37 AM
    OS that no longer have Facebook app and more others it is died
    01-14-17 03:08 AM
    Seriously, is necessary another drama thread? oh lord! xD
    Last edited by Mauri5io; 01-14-17 at 06:36 AM.
    01-14-17 05:56 AM
    OS that no longer have Facebook app and more others it is died
    You can find facebook alternative, android version or BB10, did you try FacePro?
    01-14-17 05:59 AM
    Most of BB user who forced to jump on other platform have just one reason: No Apps of their need.
    And no OS is better than BB10 but we have seen demise of Symbian, MeeGo the much much better OS than Android/iOS.
    In today's world most of the time the ugly wins the race.
    Actually BB users who jumped on other platforms did it because they couldn't play the GAMES they wanted.
    How most of these children ever decided to purchase a BlackBerry to begin with is the real mystery.
    01-14-17 06:51 AM
    You spoiled little brats!
    You consider a few seconds... a long time to boot up??
    You should have to start with a computer that had windows 95 installed and be made to work your way up.

Instead of complaining about a few seconds lag, take your faces out of your toy and look up. ( forget it. You'd first have to go outside, which would mean you'd have to learn how to tie your shoes and other really complicated stuff)
    01-14-17 07:04 AM
    What do you means by "i Hate" ? I do not love apple glitters and commercial policy, but I use their products. If you are a power user apple/javascripting is great on MacOs as on linux, it's not just for n00b and just-plug-it-works users.

But for now the question I ask my self repeatedly is : what a phone must do and what do you do with your phone ? Call quality (mic/sound/signal) and battery life are key feature for a phone. GTD integration and Reminders (for appointment, tasks) are also key feature. everything else is "bonus", form camera to entertainment third-party apps (FB, twitter, games...). Because 99.9% of time I read, answer, action email on my phone that must access to the 3G/4G network. BB10 is still great for that it just need(ed) a better GTD project management tool or exchange integration.
    Are you aware that the digital mobile device is still very much in the infant stage? That "could" explain why they haven't perfected the device as yet.
    So there isn't any "MUST" in the equation as yet. Mobile devices could easily be sold in stores like the Sharper Image if not for companies main incentive being Money!

What has amazed me the most in all my years here, is listening how the people who spend so much time here, seem to know more than the companies that are actually creating these toys.. If you know so much more, there's not a company that wouldn't welcome you to work for them. But, it's so much easier to complain than work!
    01-14-17 07:17 AM
    Actually BB users who jumped on other platforms did it because they couldn't play the GAMES they wanted.
    How most of these children ever decided to purchase a BlackBerry to begin with is the real mystery.
    Not quite sure what type of medication you're taking. Must be powerful stuff.
    01-14-17 07:20 AM
595 1234 ...