I have put it off for to long. It is time to retire my BB10 and move on. As BlackBerry continues to move BB10 solely for government use, we are left with no hope of gaining ground in app support. Therefore I have pulled the trigger on purchasing a new phone that is not BB10 .

As much as I like the new HP Win10 based phone, BBM is not available for Win10, plus I am not sure about the security. So, I have decided to go with the BlackBerry DTEK60. I hate Android, but not as much as I hate iOS. Many people I have talked too who are using the DTEK60 say the OS experience is not as nice as BB10, but they can install newer versions of apps that will no longer run on BB10. At this point, I need the app support.

At least I am staying with BlackBerry. If they ever decide to get rid of the people making the poor decisions and change the BB10 platform to better suite the general public, I would be happy to change back.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 12:14 PM
    BB10 is never going to be improved. They have stopped developing it. Enjoy the Android. I find the OS to be much better than BB10 and more customizable too. Plus all your apps are going to work.
    01-12-17 12:21 PM
    i have the dtek60 and it is a fair nice phone... let me put it in context... my wife has a lg g4, and before that she had a samsung s4... about five days ago the g4 got stuck in the boot screen (which now i know it's a hardware issue known by lg)... anyway, while reviewing our options (i guess she will get the newer lg but who knows), she is using my dtek60... after few days, she says she loves it... so the dtek60 won't be bb10, since it is a different os... as with everything in life, you will have good things and bad things with bb-android... but it is a nice device, snappy, bright screen, expandable, current processor, 4gb ram... give it some time to learn android, and accept that it won't be the same as bb10... and who knows, maybe you find it interesting... good luck!

I have put it off for to long. It is time to retire my BB10 and move on. As BlackBerry continues to move BB10 solely for government use, we are left with no hope of gaining ground in app support. Therefore I have pulled the trigger on purchasing a new phone that is not BB10 .

As much as I like the new HP Win10 based phone, BBM is not available for Win10, plus I am not sure about the security. So, I have decided to go with the BlackBerry DTEK60. I hate Android, but not as much as I hate iOS. Many people I have talked too who are using the DTEK60 say the OS experience is not as nice as BB10, but they can install newer versions of apps that will no longer run on BB10. At this point, I need the app support.

At least I am staying with BlackBerry. If they ever decide to get rid of the people making the poor decisions and change the BB10 platform to better suite the general public, I would be happy to change back.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1, FF22, TGIS and 1 others like this.
    01-12-17 12:40 PM
    I will be in the same boat eventually. I have already replaced 5 family member's Z10s with iPhones. I was expecting to be next but now I see the new surface phone rumors popping up around that new 835 processor. I would love to have an x86 capable device. Replace my surface tablet, desktop and phone all at once. I refuse to buy into Android and I feel apps are the most ridiculous thing to build a platform around. EVERYTHING is trying to go cloud/web yet you want to focus the entire platform around locally installed web dependent 3rd party software? I cant think of any time I sit at my computer wishing I had access to any app market.
    ga.rhythm likes this.
    01-12-17 12:54 PM
    I don't think many governments agencies are using BB10 either.
    DrBoomBotz and Bbnivende like this.
    01-12-17 12:59 PM
    I will be in the same boat eventually. I have already replaced 5 family member's Z10s with iPhones. I was expecting to be next but now I see the new surface phone rumors popping up around that new 835 processor. I would love to have an x86 capable device. Replace my surface tablet, desktop and phone all at once. I refuse to buy into Android and I feel apps are the most ridiculous thing to build a platform around. EVERYTHING is trying to go cloud/web yet you want to focus the entire platform around locally installed web dependent 3rd party software? I cant think of any time I sit at my computer wishing I had access to any app market.
    Good point.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 01:25 PM
    No idea why you prefer android to iOS if you value your privacy and security. Windows 10 Mobile is 10x more secure than android as well.

Either way, BB10 has been dead for a very long time, perhaps even as far as 2 years ago. I got the BB Classic and had it for a mere 35 days before deciding it was trash and couldn't complete with iOS or android functionality.

I think the truth is: BB lacked leadership and Chen has truly ran BB into the ground. The failure of the Priv and the DTEK50's slow/late security patches despite BB's promises tells me the BB brand is all but over.

It's sad but they didn't innovate, didn't compete, kept throwing out poor hardware with high prices and expected to beat Apple and Samsung in the process. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chen needs to go.
    01-12-17 02:08 PM
    No idea why you prefer android to iOS if you value your privacy and security. Windows 10 Mobile is 10x more secure than android as well.

Either way, BB10 has been dead for a very long time, perhaps even as far as 2 years ago. I got the BB Classic and had it for a mere 35 days before deciding it was trash and couldn't complete with iOS or android functionality.

I think the truth is: BB lacked leadership and Chen has truly ran BB into the ground. The failure of the Priv and the DTEK50's slow/late security patches despite BB's promises tells me the BB brand is all but over.

It's sad but they didn't innovate, didn't compete, kept throwing out poor hardware with high prices and expected to beat Apple and Samsung in the process. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Chen needs to go.
    You convinced me. When BB10 dies I'm getting a Surface phone if one comes out. MSFT is good compared to evil Google.

Surprised you disliked the Classic so much. The Passport was developed before Chen and is Blackberrys best device ever. Chen released it (poorly) but can't get credit for it.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 02:40 PM
    i have the dtek60 and it is a fair nice phone... let me put it in context... my wife has a lg g4, and before that she had a samsung s4... about five days ago the g4 got stuck in the boot screen (which now i know it's a hardware issue known by lg)... anyway, while reviewing our options (i guess she will get the newer lg but who knows).
    LGs support website will let you put in a repair request. Specify "will not start up" and they initiate a free repair. You'll lose the data on the phone, and it will be gone 7-10 days, but they'll fix it even out of warranty.
    matthewkuhl likes this.
    01-12-17 02:42 PM

I am afraid it is too late to send Chen away. Maybe the main stakeholder in BlackBerry agree with Chen strategy now. Or maybe if they fire him, they have to pay him a lot of money. We can speak as much as want, but with "maybes" we do not change the reality. But I agree that Chen failed till now. Time will tell us...

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 03:27 PM
    About time. Better late then never. Like lots of other stuff before it that is great but dead. Beta, Dreamcast,...
    01-12-17 03:28 PM
    About time. Better late then never. Like lots of other stuff before it that is great but dead. Beta, Dreamcast,...
    Dreamcast...I still have one, amazing!!

Posted via CB10
    ominaxe, skinnymike1 and the1 like this.
    01-12-17 04:21 PM
    thanks for the advice... but the phone was still under protection plan and t-mobile exchanged it for free... she buys her devices in carriers, and i buy mine factory unlocked... we are waiting for the replacement to arrive, and then with the new phone she can just swap it and pick a different device... i guess the lg g5 will be her choice, since the v20 is too big... her experience with samsung s4 wasn't good at all and i guess she won't check the s7 for that reason, but you never know with women hahaha... thanks anyway!

LGs support website will let you put in a repair request. Specify "will not start up" and they initiate a free repair. You'll lose the data on the phone, and it will be gone 7-10 days, but they'll fix it even out of warranty.
    01-12-17 05:59 PM
    You convinced me. When BB10 dies I'm getting a Surface phone if one comes out. MSFT is good compared to evil Google.

Surprised you disliked the Classic so much. The Passport was developed before Chen and is Blackberrys best device ever. Chen released it (poorly) but can't get credit for it.

Posted via CB10
    I can't remember specifically what I disliked about the Classic. I think it was similar things to what i'd seen with the 9320 (still got a 9320 by the way!). For example, the cramped keys in the bottom left. So when you want to use alternate keys/numbers you have to use your left thumb to press in a small button, then use your right thumb to press the numbers. On iOS and Android, you simply tap the screen, get presented with numbers and tap the numbers - it can all be done with one hand and much quicker/nicer than the Classic.

I remember disliking the touchscreen as well but I can't remember exactly why. It's a huge shame because I honestly think the actual design was good, the look was good - but they didn't use touch-screen to their advantage. I just remember it sucked in critical departments. I've never been lucky enough to use the passport, but I don't think I would like to use one as my daily driver because the size of it isn't something i'd feel comfortable having in my pocket. Another issue was BB10 was slow out of the box. Boot times took ages which BB is famous for, but it just didn't seem right. You could boot an android in approx 15 seconds and a Blackberry was taking around a minute. It doesn't sound like much but 45 secs extra to boot is ridiculous - even if it is for "security" reasons.

I could write an essay on all of this, but it just frustrates me that android and iOS rule the mobile world now and BB messed up so badly. They could be a major player if they kept improving their devices and software. Argh!
    01-12-17 06:07 PM
    I can't remember specifically what I disliked about the Classic. I think it was similar things to what i'd seen with the 9320 (still got a 9320 by the way!). For example, the cramped keys in the bottom left. So when you want to use alternate keys/numbers you have to use your left thumb to press in a small button, then use your right thumb to press the numbers. On iOS and Android, you simply tap the screen, get presented with numbers and tap the numbers - it can all be done with one hand and much quicker/nicer than the Classic.

I remember disliking the touchscreen as well but I can't remember exactly why. It's a huge shame because I honestly think the actual design was good, the look was good - but they didn't use touch-screen to their advantage. I just remember it sucked in critical departments. I've never been lucky enough to use the passport, but I don't think I would like to use one as my daily driver because the size of it isn't something i'd feel comfortable having in my pocket. Another issue was BB10 was slow out of the box. Boot times took ages which BB is famous for, but it just didn't seem right. You could boot an android in approx 15 seconds and a Blackberry was taking around a minute. It doesn't sound like much but 45 secs extra to boot is ridiculous - even if it is for "security" reasons.

I could write an essay on all of this, but it just frustrates me that android and iOS rule the mobile world now and BB messed up so badly. They could be a major player if they kept improving their devices and software. Argh!
    So you don't like the physical keyboard but you decided to try a BlackBerry with one... kinda ridiculous way to judge an OS. You realize BlackBerry made plenty of phones with arguably the best touch screen keyboard right? Even the passport has this 'capability' to input shift keys on the screen.

Boot time on BlackBerry 10 does take around a minute but why does that even matter ? I don't even remember the last time I had to reboot my device.
    Furthermore, the "15 second" boot of android is NOT a hard boot, it's the equivalent of putting your PC on sleep mode and then starting it. BlackBerry 10 did not have a sleep mode. Android devices of the same Era took as long to boot up from a real power down.
    Believe it or not BlackBerry had a lot of functionality that ios has only started to implement very recently. Lift to wake is an example. I think ios still doesn't even have a function to keep the screen on while the phone is being held.

Anyway, no real point here I just wanted to correct how far off you are from being able to be a good judge of BlackBerry 10 when it sounds like you've barely even used it...

Hey, try sending two different file types as an attachment in your stock email app on ios btw. Let's see how long that takes

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 06:17 PM
    Well I absolutely hate the touchscreen on my Leap it's the first blackberry I've owned . Biggest mistake I've made sold my m7 for this thing. But a DTEK 60 would be my first choice of phone .if I could adjust the keyboard size I'd like it a lot better.

BlackBerry Leap.
    01-12-17 06:26 PM
    BB10 is never going to be improved. They have stopped developing it. Enjoy the Android. I find the OS to be much better than BB10 and more customizable too. Plus all your apps are going to work.
    Don't know what your taking about, BB10 is way better than Android. The only reason Android would be a preferred choice now is due to the fact that I has had widespread adoption with unlimited funds to back it up accompanied by a complete ecosystem. As far as the true merits of the actual OS, BB10 rules. It is unfortunate that it has been left to die with so much untapped potential.

Very sad indeed......

Posted via CB10
    01-12-17 11:22 PM
    Most of BB user who forced to jump on other platform have just one reason: No Apps of their need.
    And no OS is better than BB10 but we have seen demise of Symbian, MeeGo the much much better OS than Android/iOS.
    In today's world most of the time the ugly wins the race.
    01-13-17 05:45 AM
    So you don't like the physical keyboard but you decided to try a BlackBerry with one... kinda ridiculous way to judge an OS. You realize BlackBerry made plenty of phones with arguably the best touch screen keyboard right? Even the passport has this 'capability' to input shift keys on the screen.

Boot time on BlackBerry 10 does take around a minute but why does that even matter ? I don't even remember the last time I had to reboot my device.
    Furthermore, the "15 second" boot of android is NOT a hard boot, it's the equivalent of putting your PC on sleep mode and then starting it. BlackBerry 10 did not have a sleep mode. Android devices of the same Era took as long to boot up from a real power down.
    Believe it or not BlackBerry had a lot of functionality that ios has only started to implement very recently. Lift to wake is an example. I think ios still doesn't even have a function to keep the screen on while the phone is being held.

Anyway, no real point here I just wanted to correct how far off you are from being able to be a good judge of BlackBerry 10 when it sounds like you've barely even used it...

Hey, try sending two different file types as an attachment in your stock email app on ios btw. Let's see how long that takes

Posted via CB10
    You're the EXACT type of BB10 fanboy I was talking about. I do like physical keyboards FYI - I just thought that the tiny keyboard on the 9320 was cramped - numerous professional reviewers said the exact same thing.

If you don't think boot time matters - then wow - you're the kind of person who would choose an IDE hard drive over an SSD. Of course it matters - it matters a great deal.

Actually you're wrong - the 15 second boot of Android IS a hard boot. My cyanogenmod android can even boot within 20 seconds and only has 1gb ram and a relatively slow processor. My friend's Galaxy boots quickly and my family members' Moto G4 boots relatively quickly as well (from a completely turned off device).

I'm going to record a video for you because you clearly have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about regarding your last comment: "Hey, try sending two different file types as an attachment in your stock email app on ios btw. Let's see how long that takes"

Here's my video for you Mad_MDX

anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-13-17 06:28 AM
    I sold my SE yesterday and going to buy priv or dtek60 chao babino bb10
    01-13-17 08:27 AM
    I am afraid it is too late to send Chen away. Maybe the main stakeholder in BlackBerry agree with Chen strategy now. Or maybe if they fire him, they have to pay him a lot of money. We can speak as much as want, but with "maybes" we do not change the reality. But I agree that Chen failed till now. Time will tell us...
    Failed at what?
    01-13-17 08:40 AM
    Failed at what?
    To give new life to BlackBerry hardware. To start with a successful marketing. Moreover I don't see brilliant results at WS!!

The idea of a secure android could be a successful one: but both in Italy and in Germany I do not see marketing at all from BlackBerry. Who is the guilt, Lazardis? Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    01-13-17 09:21 AM
    To give new life to BlackBerry hardware. To start with a successful marketing. Moreover I don't see brilliant results at WS!!

The idea of a secure android could be a successful one: but both in Italy and in Germany I do not see marketing at all from BlackBerry. Who is the guilt, Lazardis? Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    Considering that leadership was jumping ship, the company was about to be sold in pieces and was going to be the next Nortel, Chen has been pretty good righting the ship. Pieces were cut off, but at least the threat of everything going down has been greatly diminished.
    01-13-17 10:26 AM
    That's for sure....we still have a company alive...

Posted via CB10
    sean3089 likes this.
    01-13-17 10:36 AM
    Failed at what?
    Failed at making Crackberry happy. That alone means he isn't doing a half bad job. If he had set out only to make Crackberry happy, the company would have gone bankrupt by now.

John Chen hasn't been fired because John Chen is executing what he was hired to do. If he does manage to make Blackberry profitable again, he should be put in charge next of getting the Titanic off the ocean floor.
    01-13-17 11:14 AM
595 123 ...