Frustrated by requirements for Google play services increasingly in Android apps. Can't run them on BB10 and so on buying the Priv. Very frustrating as I love BB10 otherwise.

And don't tell me that I should try the google play services patch. That is not practical for me or for 99% of average users. Nice attempt by developer but just saying.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    11-03-15 03:34 PM
    That's why they switched....

Chen will be proud of you.
    11-03-15 03:39 PM
    It's too bad you feel that way and are leaving without giving Cobalts patch a try.

I'm not by far the most tech savvy guy but was able to follow the instructions and run Cobalts workaround.

Now I have the BEST of both worlds!

BB10 is too good to give up especially if you haven't even tried the workaround.

Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    Asvertus and Maxxie24 like this.
    11-03-15 05:00 PM
    It's too bad you feel that way and are leaving without giving Cobalts patch a try.

I'm not by far the most tech savvy guy but was able to follow the instructions and run Cobalts workaround.

Now I have the BEST of both worlds!

BB10 is too good to give up especially if you haven't even tried the workaround.

Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    What BlackBerry really needs to do is update runtime and update the Bluetooth software to 4.1.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    nyplaya610 likes this.
    11-03-15 05:37 PM
    You just prove the point why BB went Android.
    Cobalt is a not a solution. It doesn't FIX it but do anything other than bypass the functionality. As someone said, not everyone wants to sit there and apply patches and then anytime something is updated go back and apply patches again.

Yes duct tape can hold together stuff and can fix some things but in a lot of case duct tape doesn't work.
    It is usually meant to temporarily fix it until you can find a proper solution.

Right now Android is a solution.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-15 05:46 PM

Yes duct tape can hold together stuff and can fix some things but in a lot of case duct tape doesn't work.
    Hey I understand that you're frustrated, but that's no reason to start bashing duck tape. Some things are just off limits, bro.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.2.2639 posted via CB10
    11-03-15 06:53 PM
    Cobalt is a not a solution. It doesn't FIX it but do anything other than bypass the functionality. As someone said, not everyone wants to sit there and apply patches and then anytime something is updated go back and apply patches again.

Not to mention the battery drain and failure to properly close!

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 06:58 PM
    Last year seemed like very few apps required Google play services. This year several of my favorite require it, including Kijiji and Shazam.

I wish Chen has tried to license GPS for BB10 instead of the whole operating system. I'm guessing he tried and Google said no.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 08:05 PM
    What BlackBerry really needs to do is update runtime and update the Bluetooth software to 4.1.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.3.2.2789
    Nope. That is not what they need to do. That is what you want them to do.
    Kurdis Blough and LazyEvul like this.
    11-03-15 10:02 PM
    IF most of the apps you are concerned about can be replaced by a mobile or traditional Web browser, would this not be an acceptable replacement for you?

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 09:54 AM
    IF most of the apps you are concerned about can be replaced by a mobile or traditional Web browser, would this not be an acceptable replacement for you?

Posted via CB10
    Using the browser is not always convenient. Apps are typically formatted in a convenient manner with appropriate information provided. For example, the CB app is much easier to use and navigate then doing it through the browser. It's like many other things in life--you think you don't need them, but once you have experienced them, they can be a convenience you don't want to live without. Like taping TV with a VCR after using a DVR. Or having heated car seats.

Posted via CB10
    11-04-15 10:40 AM
    Why are you dependent on Google?

Sounds like you never really needed a BlackBerry in the first place. Android is ideal for you!
    11-04-15 11:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    THIS is why the minions who still blindly follow Blackberry have come to expect the same treatment since 2008. Wake up guys! Mobile sites and home screen shortcuts to the web ARE NOT convenient, and real apps is why Blackberry has failed, giving them NO alternative then to sunset BB10 and go with their POS Android offering...
    11-05-15 06:54 AM
    Give credit to BlackBerry for making the switch to Android in time as this cascade of Google Play dependency is going to continue until the Android runtime is no longer relevant.
    11-05-15 07:15 AM
    It's time to remove ART completely from BB10 .
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    11-05-15 01:03 PM
    That is the only thing may be i'll buy the PRIV, they are not supporting the android runtime and forcing to get a PRIV, so sad for bb 10...
    11-05-15 01:40 PM
    That is the only thing may be i'll buy the PRIV, they are not supporting the android runtime and forcing to get a PRIV, so sad for bb 10...
    Even if BlackBerry spent the resources to upgrade the runtime to Kitkat or higher, they still aren't permitted to have Google Play Services - which is the bigger problem at the moment. Even my banking app requires Google Play Services.

I can get by with Cobalt's awesome workarounds, but this isn't a mainstream solution.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2789
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-05-15 01:47 PM

Sorry, but I don't agree with that. My patches provide (almost) FULL Google Play Services support. It doesn't bypass it, it makes it compatible.

Best prove for that is the full support for saving game progress in COC or Boom Beach and also full support for Maps API V2, that is used in almost every app that displays Google Maps content.
    11-07-15 05:08 AM
    Thanks cobalt for your hard work. I really appreciate it. I don't use much android apps anyway but for those apps which I use, ur patches really shines in and allows me to keep using this great bb10 passport device without the need to carry another phone as of now. Grante, for apps savy people, bb10 is dying, but for those who are not, it's does everything one wants.

Posted via CB10
    Cobalt232 likes this.
    11-07-15 09:29 AM
    I'll still stick with the Passport as first daily driver and I will buy the Priv as second daily driver (A back-up smartphone of BlackBerry).

For example: If I have failed and can't run an app (Even it is patched by myself with Cobalt's tools) on the Passport, then I will use the Priv for instead.

In the future I'll be happy to walk with two different types of high-end business BlackBerry smartphones on my pocket.

I also do like choices, combinations and safety in a smartphone device.
    BlackBerry would be the perfect match for me to work on with their smartphone devices.

Enough said.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Ginowine; 11-07-15 at 04:46 PM.
    11-07-15 02:48 PM
    Wow. I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't carry or doesn't want to carry around two devices.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 02:54 PM
    Wow. I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't carry or doesn't want to carry around two devices.

Posted via CB10
    I don't either. I also expect to get 3 years service from my device. That's why I choose carefully. The industry would love people to treat smartphones like cufflinks.
    11-07-15 03:07 PM
    I don't either. I also expect to get 3 years service from my device. That's why I choose carefully. The industry would love people to treat smartphones like cufflinks.
    Lots do. Hence the plan to get every iPhone when it comes out. I actually have never met anyone that uses two together, but I know they are out there. I have had my Q10 for over 2 years and will probably keep it for a bit. Although, I really want to get the Priv at some point so I can use some apps I am missing out on.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 03:21 PM
    Sorry, but I don't agree with that. My patches provide (almost) FULL Google Play Services support. It doesn't bypass it, it makes it compatible.

Best prove for that is the full support for saving game progress in COC or Boom Beach and also full support for Maps API V2, that is used in almost every app that displays Google Maps content.
    Curious how easy it is to back track on your patches in the event something goes awry? Only thing that's held me back to this point, is the concern that I'll mess something up.

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:20 PM
    Curious how easy it is to back track on your patches in the event something goes awry? Only thing that's held me back to this point, is the concern that I'll mess something up.

Posted via CB10
    I was also wondering if the patching is independent of Android OS version (i.e., will there be a problem when apps are updated for Marshmallow, especially since I believe he is done supporting the software)?

Posted via CB10
    11-07-15 04:31 PM
42 12