Good thing for sensible thinking. Am waiting to hear more on the Vienna. Cause I would prefer it to the Priv.

Posted via CB10
    Can I borrow your crystal ball ?
    01-12-16 01:16 AM
    It's a bit different in my view. I love BB, love BB10, HATE virtual key boards - seriously, for me they verge on useless.

I'm also locked into a 2 year phone contract, so I'm > a year out from phone replacement.

I want BB10 to continue - very happy with my Classic, EXCEPT that my workplace uses Google apps with dual authentication, which even Cobalt's fine work doesn't work with. Plus which, if I want to video chat with FB I'm also hooped.

So, I'm pretty much looking at the Android side for the future, because we're not seeing a great deal on the apps development side in BB10. So, my future looks more like Android.

It's like I drive a GM truck and love it to bits. However, if it comes time to trade and Ford's got a great deal, then it could be a Ford in the driveway.
    We use Google Apps with dual authentication and BB10. You mean other specific Google Apps? We run other non-Google Auth app to generate the code and it work like a charm on BB10 and Google. It also works with other dual auth systems.

Of course, my apologize if I did not understand well what you are talking about and a different issue....

Cheers

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-12-16 04:19 AM
    Looking at the bigger picture here (no pun intended), it would be worthless for BlackBerry to make another BB10 device.
    They are not money makers, they have a bad market reputation and frankly BlackBerry cannot keep up the development pace any more.
    Note that BlackBerry hardware running BB10 is still the only platform with top level government approval. Until another platform can reach the level, BlackBerry hardware running BB10 will remain in the market and an active platform for BlackBerry. BlackBerry Priv and Samsung Knox are the only ones with any hope of competing at that level. However, Android, at its core, sucks for security. I don't know if that changes with v6.

Posted via CB10
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    01-12-16 06:24 AM
    IF, BlackBerry drops BB10, I would most likely go to Apple. Microsoft is a possibility also. But I will NOT go back to Android. The Android eco system is a dense forest of under brush, thorns, and snakes. Android is for the uninformed who have no clue about security, privacy, and what quality really means.

Posted via CB10
    sergio_can and Zeddepher like this.
    01-12-16 06:31 AM

And I quote:

"This doesn't necessarily mean we're saying goodbye to BB10 forever. Chen is apparently hoping that its first Android phone, the*Priv, can bring the brand back into the limelight, make it viable again and enable the company to make another BlackBerry 10 phone.*"

I'd very much like BB10 to continue, would you?

Yes, I would like BB10 to continue. And indeed I think it will continue in standby/maintain mode for at least 12 to 24 months.

However, I do think the decision has been made. As I understand it, the hand set is not really a handset division - the industrial designers are gone, the software development team is a skeleton and PR, advertising, marketing and sales non-existent. As such, the division, it would seem, at best can spec a wish list to an OEM for a handset. And BB will be working like mad men and women just to keep up with the changes to the latest Android with respect to the "specific BB touches". The BB veneer will likely force our beloved company to run one or two versions behind the current Android and face many many challenges with app development.

Nonetheless, I wish Blandroid well.

As for buying an Android phone? Nope. Will use my BB10's for another couple of years, or longer until network specs, HTML or other force a change. 10.2.XXXX answers my needs, as does the hardware.
    01-12-16 07:13 AM
    When IPhone showed the IPhone 6 design nobody said all the IPhone's will look like that from now on.
    � what?
    01-12-16 08:22 AM
    BUY a Passport to support BlackBerry10: that's the correct answer!!

Posted via CB10
    sergio_can likes this.
    01-12-16 09:11 AM
    BUY a PlayBook to support BlackBerry10: that's the correct answer!!

Posted via CB10
    Fixed that for you lol
    Rello likes this.
    01-12-16 09:22 AM
    Been saying it for weeks. NOTHING WRONG with current BB10 lineup for 2016. 2017 upgrades will due and more reasons will be made for a new BB10 device. As a stock holder, wouldn't it be stupid to make another BB10 device in 2016? Yes it would. Shows how stupid a lot of people are about the subject and how shallow news writers really are.

Posted from a wireless charging Passport. Get one!
    01-12-16 09:31 AM
    Personally, I'll be surprised if we ever see another BB10 device. However, if I buy a device- whether BB/Android Priv or a BB10 Passport, it will be because the price has dropped and I actually want it. BlackBerry is not in business based on how well they support their consumers and anyone that expected something for consumers based on loyalty- not happening. It's strictly business... cash-for- merchandise for me and yes, I have also supported them .....over 12 times since '07. I read some posting why others are writing BlackBerry 10 off. To me, the more time is spent away from BB10, the less likely we will see another BB10. Who wants an OS that will not have any enhanced and/or new features? LOL, I didn't mention apps on purpose. There would be soooo many complaining about the OS "not" being updated, blah, blah.......and they would be right for complaining. I would rather have a true BlackBerry Priv- with an updated BB10 OS, but, I don't see it happening.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-12-16 10:24 AM
    Not enough to drop $900 on a phone I won't use.
    Here from where I can get the best price is around 650USD. But that is simply too high for me to buy a phone I am totally not interested in. I know there are a lot of apps and that is all I know.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 10:40 AM
    Ha I will buy a Priv because I want one and because its (in my opinion) a much better phone than my Z10. I don't think at all though that my purchase will eventually help BB10. Its still a great OS, but its hit a dead end for time being...
    01-12-16 02:03 PM
    So there are multiple ways to think about this.
    1. Buy a priv and support the hardware division of BlackBerry.
    2. Buy a priv and let BlackBerry know you want them to keep making more like it.
    3. Buy a passport and revel in its unique form factor.

The main thing at the end of the day is what the overall market sees. Not a day goes by when I pull out my phone and someone next to me asks if blackberry was still in business. Anything branded as BlackBerry is not good for the hardware division. If you want even the remote chance of getting any BlackBerry device in 2017 I recommend buying something blackberry this year.

01-12-16 07:11 PM
    I'm pretty interested in the vienna as well. I am a bit concerned about Android updates through BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Why? BlackBerry seems to be doing a better job updating Android than almost any other Manufacturer.
    01-12-16 08:00 PM
    Why? BlackBerry seems to be doing a better job updating Android than almost any other Manufacturer.
    Yeah, I feel there was undue criticism by a lot of reviewers on the BlackBerry Priv for not shipping with the latest android OS even though lots of other manufacturers haven't updated their flagship devices yet and didn't take into consideration that it's just the first android phone by BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10 8520 > 8900 > 9780 > 9900 > Playbook > Q10 > Passport silver edition
    01-12-16 08:12 PM
    So there are multiple ways to think about this.
    1. Buy a priv and support the hardware division of BlackBerry.
    2. Buy a priv and let BlackBerry know you want them to keep making more like it.
    3. Buy a passport and revel in its unique form factor.

The main thing at the end of the day is what the overall market sees. Not a day goes by when I pull out my phone and someone next to me asks if blackberry was still in business. Anything branded as BlackBerry is not good for the hardware division. If you want even the remote chance of getting any BlackBerry device in 2017 I recommend buying something blackberry this year.

I went with number three!

Posted via CB10 8520 > 8900 > 9780 > 9900 > Playbook > Q10 > Passport silver edition
    01-12-16 08:13 PM
    The Priv is a critical, probably make or break phone for BlackBerry and they don't have the latest OS. My Nexus which is old has been updated.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-16 09:41 PM
    Note that BlackBerry hardware running BB10 is still the only platform with top level government approval. Until another platform can reach the level, BlackBerry hardware running BB10 will remain in the market and an active platform for BlackBerry. BlackBerry Priv and Samsung Knox are the only ones with any hope of competing at that level. However, Android, at its core, sucks for security. I don't know if that changes with v6.
    The problem is that that does almost nothing for anyone here - if you aren't on BES, then you don't have most of this vaunted security on your BB10 device anyway. And BB's enterprise sales haven't been enough - not NEARLY enough - to save BB10, so why is it going to save them now? The only reason 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 are being worked on is because of contractual obligations to those big enterprise customers, but once 10.3.4 rolls out at the end of this year, you can expect BB10 support to end, and those enterprise customers will have to transition to something else. I'd bet that's already happening. Whether or not they keep BES to manage their new phones is an interesting question, but remember that BES supports iOS and Android as well, and that BB has been working with Google to secure Android with BES and gain certifications.

Just because a few people still use buggy whips doesn't justify a whole company to mass-produce them. And unfortunately, smartphones aren't a business that scales down below a certain point - you hit a point along the curve where the fixed costs will eat you alive, and that's where BB has been living for the past couple of years, and is still dropping. If they hadn't transitioned to Android and were still actively developing BB10 like they were, they might be close to bankruptcy already.
    Elephant_Canyon and kbz1960 like this.
    01-12-16 10:51 PM
    The Priv is a critical, probably make or break phone for BlackBerry and they don't have the latest OS. My Nexus which is old has been updated.
    Sure, but it's a NEXUS. And even my Nexus 4 doesn't have Marshmellow, and officially never will. There is a Marshmallow build for my current phone (LG G4), but T-Mobile hasn't released their version yet, and I'm electing to wait for their official version in order to maintain WiFi calling. Many other phones, including flagships, haven't received Marshmallow yet either, but like the Priv, they all will sometime this quarter. It's really not that big of a deal.
    DaDaDogg likes this.
    01-12-16 10:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    No The is not make or break, the Vienna is still releasing this year. Of course Google can release its own OS faster than anyone else, the comparison is to the largest manufacturers like Samsung which is only in Beta. BlackBerry has been offering Security patches and updates every month to keep whatever version it's running up to date.
    01-13-16 09:09 AM
    Buy me one of each and support BlackBerry.
    01-13-16 10:06 AM
    No The is not make or break, the Vienna is still releasing this year. Of course Google can release its own OS faster than anyone else, the comparison is to the largest manufacturers like Samsung which is only in Beta. BlackBerry has been offering Security patches and updates every month to keep whatever version it's running up to date.
    You make good points but BB has such a bad reputation and is coming from such a history of being late with software that I don't think they have much room for error. Many, maybe most, people aren't even aware they are still in business.
    01-13-16 10:57 AM
    How about buy a bb10 phone to support bb10......

Posted via CB10
    01-13-16 01:51 PM
    How about buy a bb10 phone to support bb10......

Posted via CB10
    There really is always one !
    01-14-16 02:28 AM
    100-150 chf less and I may give it a try.
    However, at the price it is being sold here in Switzerland I am not buying it.
    Additionally, I am very happy with my passport SE, it offers all the things I need, so there is no point (yet) for me to go for android, because that is where I came from a year ago.
    When Marshmallow is introduced, the Hub works as intended respectively when it works the same way as on BlackBerry 10 and my kairos smartwatch arrives then I may consider it...

Posted via CB10
    01-14-16 03:06 AM
89 1234