There is also the apathy factor for non-tech users. It's like they're afraid to try a BlackBerry and so just continue to put up with what they've got, which is often a 3 or 4 year old device.
    I don't think it's apathy as much as a tendency to stick with what's familiar as long as it's working. Not everyone is on the lookout for something that does something better, if using it involves a learning curve. For a lot of people, it's just not worth it. They know how to do what they need to do on their iPhone or Galaxy device, and they're just not interested in starting over with a new system just to take advantage of something like peek and flow. But they are interested in being able to continue to use whatever apps they've become accustomed to using.

On CB and other tech fan sites, we are hyperfocused on the details of smartphone usage, to an extent that most people would find hard to understand. They're simply not keeping track of how many taps or swipes it takes to do something, as long as they can do it. They don't appreciate "improvements" that require them to think about a new way of doing things. Look at the response to Android's "improved" profile settings in Lollipop.

People will typically switch only if there's a strong reason to do so, such as a major price incentive or some particular "killer" feature that they really have to have. BB10 offers what most of us find to be a very pleasing user experience, but that's just not enough for most people, unless they're really unhappy with what they've been using. Windows Phone has a similar problem. Sure, the Live Tiles look interesting but is that enough to lure people away from what they've been using? Apparently not.

We have plenty of testimony on CB from people who have carefully demonstrated BB10 to friends, family, co-workers, etc. They see what BB10 can do, and they even appreciate it. But do they then go out and switch? Not usually. It's just not enough. There's nothing that most people could point to and say, "I just have to have that!"--even though BB10 has a lot of cool features.
    EnesBerry1 likes this.
    02-04-16 01:03 PM
    Maybe because it's not accurate. In what countries is Blackberry "thriving"?
    Uhhh... in Dubai for sure.

Saw more BlackBerry devices out and about there recently than I've seen anywhere in years.
    With an entire BlackBerry store in their mall.

If you've been there feel free to dispute... Otherwise pay attention to others who have.
    02-04-16 02:08 PM
    March 2015 article:

Excerpt:

"Blackberry on the other hand has almost vanished from the leading 15 mobile phone manufacturers."

http://www.alternativedubai.com/smar...s-popular-uae/

Bad news considering the big push there. And that was a year ago!
    Last edited by conite; 02-04-16 at 02:58 PM.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-04-16 02:14 PM
    Double post
    02-04-16 02:57 PM

Saw more BlackBerry devices out and about there recently than I've seen anywhere in years.

If you've been there feel free to dispute... Otherwise pay attention to others who have.
    Give it a couple years... They used to be thriving in several markets where they are now pretty much non existent.
    02-04-16 04:37 PM

No, but one whole store? How many people live in Dubai?

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 05:16 PM

Oops. Did you read article Conite posted a link for? Looks like it may not be thriving even in Dubai.

Posted via CB10
    02-04-16 05:22 PM
    No, but one whole store? How many people live in Dubai?

Posted via CB10
    Do you understand anything about Dubai? Apparently not. Dubai is a city/state. There are really only 2 malls in the entire city/state. And BlackBerry has a HUGE store in the mall where virtually everyone shops.

And yes... I saw Connite's post. That data is over a year old from an article published a year ago. I work and travel there... six weeks ago was the latest.

If that article is to be believed, then Nokia/Microsoft phones would be seen. Well guess what... I never saw one... but saw many many BlackBerrys in the wild.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet. I do believe what I have seen with my own eyes. Words to live by...
    02-05-16 11:20 AM
    I don't think it's apathy as much as a tendency to stick with what's familiar as long as it's working. Not everyone is on the lookout for something that does something better, if using it involves a learning curve. For a lot of people, it's just not worth it. They know how to do what they need to do on their iPhone or Galaxy device, and they're just not interested in starting over with a new system just to take advantage of something like peek and flow. But they are interested in being able to continue to use whatever apps they've become accustomed to using.

On CB and other tech fan sites, we are hyperfocused on the details of smartphone usage, to an extent that most people would find hard to understand. They're simply not keeping track of how many taps or swipes it takes to do something, as long as they can do it. They don't appreciate "improvements" that require them to think about a new way of doing things. Look at the response to Android's "improved" profile settings in Lollipop.

People will typically switch only if there's a strong reason to do so, such as a major price incentive or some particular "killer" feature that they really have to have. BB10 offers what most of us find to be a very pleasing user experience, but that's just not enough for most people, unless they're really unhappy with what they've been using. Windows Phone has a similar problem. Sure, the Live Tiles look interesting but is that enough to lure people away from what they've been using? Apparently not.

We have plenty of testimony on CB from people who have carefully demonstrated BB10 to friends, family, co-workers, etc. They see what BB10 can do, and they even appreciate it. But do they then go out and switch? Not usually. It's just not enough. There's nothing that most people could point to and say, "I just have to have that!"--even though BB10 has a lot of cool features.
    Absolutely a great point. BB10 offers a great experience but there's very little about it that would wow someone into switching. It's a very easy and intuitive system that I think after weeks of using you appreciate but the common person won't be struck by these features.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 12:05 PM
    If BlackBerry will maintain, improve and keep the Runtime current then it's not really an issue. The big question is whether they will bother to do this.
    02-05-16 12:07 PM
    I don't believe everything I read on the internet.
    Me either.

http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...l#post12234268
    02-05-16 12:09 PM
    If BlackBerry will maintain, improve and keep the Runtime current then it's not really an issue. The big question is whether they will bother to do this.
    Whether they want to or not is irrelevant, as OHA rules most likely won't allow it.

However, they don't want to anyway.
    Last edited by conite; 02-05-16 at 01:43 PM.
    02-05-16 12:11 PM
    Kind of amazing how... in countries where BB focuses on actually telling people they exist... that BB is still thriving.

Why is that so hard for you to understand, Mr Chen?
    You're equating correlation with causation. Do they sell in those counties because of marketing, or do they market there because of sales?

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 12:16 PM
    They already decided not to and it is already far out of date...
    02-05-16 01:11 PM
    They already decided not to and it is already far out of date...
    I know but it's recent enough to run most Amazon Appstore apps (API version 18). What I mean is, when eventually it's too old even to run those apps ...
    02-05-16 01:32 PM
    You're equating correlation with causation. Do they sell in those counties because of marketing, or do they market there because of sales?

Posted via CB10
    Mr Chen? Is that you?

If so, keep up the good work. Maybe call the next one the BlackBerry Obscure? Tell no about it. Then when it doesn't sell you can close the hardware department using all kinds of big words and fancy theories to explain why no one bought something they never heard of.

Or you could just close hardware now.

Either way... mission accomplished.
    SpenceOpera likes this.
    02-05-16 01:34 PM
    Do you understand anything about Dubai? Apparently not. Dubai is a city/state. There are really only 2 malls in the entire city/state. And BlackBerry has a HUGE store in the mall where virtually everyone shops.

And yes... I saw Connite's post. That data is over a year old from an article published a year ago. I work and travel there... six weeks ago was the latest.

If that article is to be believed, then Nokia/Microsoft phones would be seen. Well guess what... I never saw one... but saw many many BlackBerrys in the wild.

I don't believe everything I read on the internet. I do believe what I have seen with my own eyes. Words to live by...
    Here are some better words to live by:
    Anecdote ≠ data.
    DrBoomBotz and GadgetTravel like this.
    02-05-16 02:14 PM

You kind of missed the point. BlackBerry has lost about 99% of their business worldwide. What is their market share in Dubai?
    And what was it?
    Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 02:50 PM
    You kind of missed the point. BlackBerry has lost about 99% of their business worldwide. What is their market share in Dubai?
    And what was it?
    Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is "thriving" in the Dubai market.
    02-05-16 03:05 PM
    Seems that built for BlackBerry doesn't have any sense now when built by BlackBerry is dead also.

Posted via CB10
    02-05-16 03:21 PM
    Saw this article today:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/02/01/bl...on-to-android/

In summary, blackberry is preparing two new android phones and bb10 is likely no more as per quote from blackberry product manager:

"As we secure Android, over a period of time, we would not have two platforms...�

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    02-05-16 04:50 PM
    Mr Chen? Is that you?

If so, keep up the good work. Maybe call the next one the BlackBerry Obscure? Tell no about it. Then when it doesn't sell you can close the hardware department using all kinds of big words and fancy theories to explain why no one bought something they never heard of.

Or you could just close hardware now.

Either way... mission accomplished.
    If John Chen had simply wanted to get out of the hardware business, he could have done it on day one. Name one reason he would have to stage a secret elaborate plan to sabotage the handset business. It's a silly theory.

Posted via CB10
    02-06-16 12:58 PM
    If John Chen had simply wanted to get out of the hardware business, he could have done it on day one. Name one reason he would have to stage a secret elaborate plan to sabotage the handset business. It's a silly theory.

Posted via CB10
    That's easy... two primary reasons...

His silly software fantasies aren't up to getting him what he wants yet.

And,

He can still eek out revenue for a short while longer from the few CB BB10 geeks left.

He'll get there, and BlackBerry (in name only) will survive... in a form that is oh so much less than what it could have and should have been.
    02-06-16 01:07 PM
    That's easy... two primary reasons...

His silly software fantasies aren't up to getting him what he wants yet.

And,

He can still eek out revenue for a short while longer from the few CB BB10 geeks left.

He'll get there, and BlackBerry (in name only) will survive... in a form that is oh so much less than what it could have and should have been.
    One: you can't eke out revenue by selling products at a loss, so that dog won't hunt.

Two: Occam's razor.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    02-06-16 01:47 PM
    One: you can't eke out revenue by selling products at a loss, so that dog won't hunt.

Two: Occam's razor.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    Easy there. Them trolls will cut their own arms off if they get hold of Occam's razor. Oh wait...

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-06-16 04:16 PM
344 ... 11121314