As a BB10 user, I only look for BfB badges and if they don't have them, I don't install them as I don't want Android apps and want to support native developers like myself. So they are needed.
    Damn Right! That`s even the way I do it.
    I`ll use my BB10 device as long as it works. For special need`s I`ll use my iPhone 6s. And that are the only 2 OS`s I`ll use.
    Last edited by apfelcompod; 01-24-16 at 03:11 AM.
    01-24-16 02:56 AM
    In effect, he already did. He said no new BB10 devices in 2016. Is that supposed to encourage people to run out and buy a BB10 device? Good luck with that Chen.
    I agree with you, but that's the point, Chen has never said explicitly that BB is done with BB10... and he never will. Each of his statements requires interpretation, which is a purely subjective thing for every individual.

The reason he never will say those things explicitly is that there are eternal optimists who will see the lack of an explicit statement as representing an escape route for BB10's survival. They want it to be true, so they will accept any wriggle-room in the words as a hopeful sign that it will be true.

To take your own example of Chen's "no new BB10 devices in 2016" statement. You and I both see that as a straightforward "BB is done with BB10" statement. By adding "in 2016" (actually I think Chen said "this year", but it amounts to the same) ... Chen keeps hope alive for those optimists to grasp at. And, it's working! I have seen a number of posts interpreting that "in 2016" wording as meaning that BB10 devices will be back in 2017!

Chen is playing a very clever game with the very few cards he has remaining in his hand. I reckon the trick is to not read too much into his words, but to judge from his actions; that way lies "truth"

All credit to Chen though. The man is definitely a player!
    01-24-16 03:43 AM
    You can think that. But I had a pretty good look into the font issue when Cascades first became available on the DA-A. There are significant parts of Qt that you can not use in a Cascades application without causing a crash. The Qt font rendering package is one of them. Have a look at the Cascades section of Stack Overflow and read all the advice very experienced Qt programmers give BB10 developers that is wrong only because Cascades isn't Qt. It actually has the same flavour as Java experts who don't know BBOS is based on a subset of J2ME advising BBOS developers.

I have also done a lot of work with C++ object trees, extension and maintenance of object libraries in C++ since the CFront days. The way Cascades is tied into Qt is not unique, and the trajectory it has taken so far, and is likely to continue on, is quite common as well. In fact the story of Cascades is not a lot different than that of CFront. Some interesting and innovative ideas brought to initial fruition by leveraging existing tools. It works for a short time, long enough to find out if the idea is going to catch on. C++ did, Cascades didn't. I'm pretty confident, having looked at the Qt and Cascades object trees, that BlackBerry developers quickly realised the amount of work needed to drag Cascades along with Qt would be enormous. Now looking back and knowing that BlackBerry was pulling out of the Qt porting effort at about the same time as Priv development was getting serious it all makes a great deal of sense. Speculation on my part, but it fits the facts.

So the question is, when BlackBerry bought TAT, did TAT know that Cascades could not be easily kept up to date with Qt? Are you prepared to believe that a software house as capable as TAT didn't understand the ramifications of what they were doing? Maybe there was a very good reason to build Cascades the way they did, but the results, where Cascades is today, if completely predictable. Cascades may see enhancements, thought I doubt it. It won't get Qt 5 or later features without a huge investment. I think everyone agrees BlackBerry isn't in a position to make that investment today. On the other hand if TAT had built Cascades as a library entirely on top of Qt then it would have been quite straight forward to bring Cascades to Qt 5. No more difficult, relatively speaking, than updating a Qt 4 based application to Qt 5.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    If you are right, then it points out that BlackBerry management really doesn't have a clue about software development.
    01-24-16 04:26 AM
    If you are right, then it points out that BlackBerry management really doesn't have a clue about software development.
    Well, that has been obvious to me since 2006. RIM was an engineering firm that hired some really good programmers but not at the C levels. That continues in the current structure, except that they decided to let the different divisions run independently before they gutted QNX management.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-24-16 06:01 AM
    Based on my experience with BlackBerry updates is there any chance I'd trust my life to a driverless car running QNX or any QNX system managed by BlackBerry that could kill people? No way. I'll "run the Google" as Chen would say. Best thing that could happen to QNX is that a company who can afford to hire people buys it out.

Z30STA100-5 / 10.3.2.2813 / T-Mobile
    01-24-16 07:29 AM
    Damn Right! That`s even the way I do it.
    I`ll use my BB10 device as long as it works. For special need`s I`ll use my iPhone 6s. And that are the only 2 OS`s I`ll use.
    Same as me... yes, not having the budget will make a bit harder to differentiate native apps from Android ones but, well, life is like that.... :-)

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    01-24-16 07:54 AM
    Based on my experience with BlackBerry updates is there any chance I'd trust my life to a driverless car running QNX or any QNX system managed by BlackBerry that could kill people? No way. I'll "run the Google" as Chen would say. Best thing that could happen to QNX is that a company who can afford to hire people buys it out.

QNX is a BlackBerry subsidiary. It is a rock solid OS used in as many mission critical systems as you can imagine. No other OS might be as secure and solid as QNX for that purpose. It is a win-win situation unless BlackBerry decides to truly screw up big time....and I don't think that will happen.......

Last edited by lfcohen; 01-24-16 at 08:19 AM.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    01-24-16 07:57 AM
    What amuses me the most is Blackberry's inability to clearly communicate their decisions with user base, developers and public in last half of the year. Almost every public announcement required some additional explanation in their corporate blog. For a company which deals with governments and Fortune's 100 companies, level of amateurism in their PR is in acceptable. This one is no difference.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-24-16 08:00 AM
    What amuses me the most is Blackberry's inability to clearly communicate their decisions with user base, developers and public in last half of the year. Almost every public announcement required some additional explanation in their corporate blog. For a company which deals with governments and Fortune's 100 companies, level of amateurism in their PR is in acceptable. This one is no difference.
    Yes, that is pathetic. John Chen is the reversed version of Steve Jobs..... He should never ever do public appearances, announcements, product demos, etc. he is useless......

01-24-16 08:20 AM

You should really take some time to research companies before you make judgements like this. The initial release of QNX was in 1982, they weren't acquired by BlackBerry until 2010. Your life probably already has depended on QNX several times.

"The Google" on the other hand has had to patch critical security vulnerabilities in the same subsystem of their operating system four months in a row.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-24-16 09:00 AM
    You should really take some time to research companies before you make judgements like this. The initial release of QNX was in 1982, they weren't acquired by BlackBerry until 2010. Your life probably already has depended on QNX several times.

"The Google" on the other hand has had to patch critical security vulnerabilities in the same subsystem of their operating system four months in a row.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I wouldn't worry about QNX up until the BlackBerry acquisition. After seeing the decisions and choices this company has made I'd lose all confidence in anything they put out.

I remember hearing Saturn Corp was wholly owned sub of GM but they were not free of GM's influence. Somehow I don't think QNX is safe from BlackBerry. I wouldn't trust BlackBerry to open an umbrella without screwing it up.

01-24-16 10:45 AM
    In effect, he already did. He said no new BB10 devices in 2016. Is that supposed to encourage people to run out and buy a BB10 device? Good luck with that Chen.

Posted via CB10
    What Chen really meant and wanted to say but didn't so that he could sell the remaining BB10 inventory was "No new BB10 devices".
    After effectively killing off BB10 devices with everything BlackBerry has said and done, why would anyone think that after 2016 is done, there will be more BB10 devices in 2017?? As much as some of us would like to see more BB10 devices in 2017, do you REALLY think there will ever be another one?
    01-24-16 11:34 AM
    One could argue that the Apple approach - communicating very little outside of its official launch events - works better. Consumers don't hear practically anything from Apple about what's coming until it's ready to launch. They don't even go to trade shows. Companies who do PR announcements are trying to take advantage of free media exposure but risk all sorts of communications gaffes.

Take the biggest Apple announcement of the year, the new iPhone. Technically, there's no official announcement of a new iPhone until a few weeks before it ships. Consumers who are clueless about the smartphone industry - which is most people - walk into stores to purchase new iPhones literally weeks before they become last-year's model.

On the other hand, we have the BlackBerry CEO who pretty much announces that all of the BB10 handsets - most of their products - are EOL this year. Moreover, the BB10 apps that were "Built for BlackBerry" are, apparently, no longer built for BlackBerry.
    01-24-16 11:58 AM
    I wouldn't worry about QNX up until the BlackBerry acquisition. After seeing the decisions and choices this company has made I'd lose all confidence in anything they put out.

I remember hearing Saturn Corp was wholly owned sub of GM but they were not free of GM's influence. Somehow I don't think QNX is safe from BlackBerry. I wouldn't trust BlackBerry to open an umbrella without screwing it up.

Like I said, take some time to learn about the company. I know people who work at QNX. We've used their products before and after the acquisition. But more to the point, if you distrust BlackBerry so much why are you using a Z30?
    01-24-16 12:12 PM
    Like I said, take some time to learn about the company. I know people who work at QNX. We've used their products before and after the acquisition. But more to the point, if you distrust BlackBerry so much why are you using a Z30?
    Chen sent me an update that ruined my screen and I paid 40 dollars for a new screen and replaced it myself. Then Chen sent me 2876 and that screwed my phone up so I did a 2813 autoloader.

I'm still using my z30 because I'm stubborn and not going to be run off by Chen.

I kid. But I believe you about QNX. And I know there are good people who work there and have done great things. Not sure how many people are left at BlackBerry but they don't deserve the blame for how things are now either. I get your point and I believe you. I just hope the people making decisions now don't ruin a good thing. I'm just frustrated but the good people working there don't deserve any of the blame. And I've never heard of any of these problems at QNX and I hope it stays that way.

01-24-16 01:30 PM
    QNX is a BlackBerry subsidiary. It is a rock solid OS used in as many mission critical systems as you can imagine. No other OS might be as secure and solid as QNX for that purpose. It is a win-win situation unless BlackBerry decides to truly screw up big time....and I don't think that will happen.......

Like they have never truly screwed up before..
    Doggerz and elfabio80 like this.
    01-24-16 09:39 PM
    Got the priv! BB10 never matured to the level of iOS and Android and will not get the chance to get there obviously. But the Priv works well, it's a great device and android 5.1 is a well built and polished OS. Can't wait for 6.0 to come out on the priv.
    01-25-16 06:51 AM
    He really has been boxed in since day 1. The board clearly sees the OS future for BB is Android, not BB10. My lust for a new 5" (or slightly larger) all touch BB10 wanes as reality sets in. Looks like no new BB10 hardware coming folks. If that separates you from BB in the future they are willing to live with that. The lack of BB10 software development left them no choice. Not a big deal for me as I am not an app hound but in what I am sure is a small minority. Priv just too weird for me, android os + kbd way too small for my aging eyes. Passport ditto + way too bulky. Glad it works for others.
    01-25-16 02:58 PM
    He really has been boxed in since day 1. The board clearly sees the OS future for BB is Android, not BB10. My lust for a new 5" (or slightly larger) all touch BB10 wanes as reality sets in. Looks like no new BB10 hardware coming folks. If that separates you from BB in the future they are willing to live with that. The lack of BB10 software development left them no choice. Not a big deal for me as I am not an app hound but in what I am sure is a small minority. Priv just too weird for me, android os + kbd way too small for my aging eyes. Passport ditto + way too bulky. Glad it works for others.
    You are NOT a small minority. Chen is just too clueless to recognize that fact. He is out of his league.
    01-25-16 05:25 PM
    All good things comes to end one day . I have taken up the latest offering from BB the Priv although the Passport SE remains my daily driver and device is working superbly and service support is very much available here in UAE . BBRY stores at Dubai Mall offers 2 year warranty on all devices in BB10 sold by them.
    01-26-16 01:01 AM
    Some people cannot afford the Priv. Truth is truth. I work hard for my pittance. I can barely make ends meet.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-16 05:56 PM
    All good things comes to end one day . I have taken up the latest offering from BB the Priv although the Passport SE remains my daily driver and device is working superbly and service support is very much available here in UAE . BBRY stores at Dubai Mall offers 2 year warranty on all devices in BB10 sold by them.
    Kind of amazing how... in countries where BB focuses on actually telling people they exist... that BB is still thriving.

Why is that so hard for you to understand, Mr Chen?
    02-02-16 08:38 PM
    passport is my last device from this company, not going to buy the priv, so I could get burned a third more time.

Posted via CB10 from my BlackBerry Passport
    BBRYQ10 likes this.
    02-04-16 11:00 AM
    Kind of amazing how... in countries where BB focuses on actually telling people they exist... that BB is still thriving.

Why is that so hard for you to understand, Mr Chen?
    Maybe because it's not accurate. In what countries is Blackberry "thriving"?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    02-04-16 11:19 AM
    There is also the apathy factor for non-tech users. It's like they're afraid to try a BlackBerry and so just continue to put up with what they've got, which is often a 3 or 4 year old device.

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    02-04-16 12:37 PM
344 ... 1011121314