Barcelone is coming ,I hope we hear some Good news with BB10 involved,:-)
    01-22-16 02:26 PM
    These started to get old about 15 posts back.
    01-22-16 02:31 PM
    These started to get old about 15 posts back.
    My apologies kind sir! I'll keep that in mind, since you are obviously a forum censor.
    01-22-16 02:37 PM
    My apologies kind sir! I'll keep that in mind, since you are obviously a forum censor.

Actually that's MY job! But I actually don't mind a funny picture or two in the right situation. (Believe me we'll let you know if it becomes an issue)
    01-22-16 02:50 PM
    That is what I am saying. They have lost any ability to be a software vendor when they have given up on writing software. They had great developers (TAT) and got rid of them. I was part of the beta program for BES10 and it isn't even close to the competition, so they had to buy Good Technology. They also don't know a good product when they see it. They made Blend and not are stopping development on that and won't port it to work with the Priv. They took a great mobile platform based on QNX and put the reins on developers. Look at the original TAT demo apps for Playbook. They are amazing. They didn't have a clue about the Playbook when they released it. No native email client! What where they thinking. They also didn't know how to market BB10. They are rudderless and Chen continues that lost in the wilderness.
    The developers at TAT may have been great, but what they did with Cascades was pretty crappy. They built it in such a way as to eliminate many of the capabilities in Qt and make it all but impossible to keep Cascades growing along with Qt as it was improved.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    01-22-16 03:46 PM
    When something attains the level of popularity and acceptance that Android has, it's no longer a cult.

It's a full-blown religion.
    Can't wait for the Jonestown happening!

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.2.2813
    JeepBB and FF22 like this.
    01-22-16 03:55 PM
    Can't wait for the Jonestown happening!
    Don't drink the kool-aid!

No. Really. DO NOT drink the kool aid!
    01-22-16 03:59 PM
    This is all a little sad, and a shame, too.
    I don't know how to code or create apps, but I feel as if all the hard work developers have done, has now fallen by the wayside...
    lift likes this.
    01-22-16 05:01 PM
    OMG I just noticed you have one of those annoying orange banners under your name now! YUCK!

j/k Congrats!
    Look who's talking, Obie-wan-ca-cable.
    01-22-16 05:04 PM
    Obe- wanna canolli?

Posted from my X00 Z30
    FF22 likes this.
    01-22-16 05:17 PM
    NOW LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY, stop R.I.P.PING BB10 and I will tell you why this move is best move Blackberry could make if, I say IF Blackberry also move all crappy ported android apps from Blackberry World. We do not need ported android apps in Blackberry World, we don't need "build for Blackberry" sticker/logo, why? Because "Blackberry World" itself must become new "build for Blackberry" logo, it must be like this all this time, only one mistake was to let port android apps in Blackberry World, just look Skype app moved to Amazon App store long time ago, so all junky or whatever android apps should be also only in Amazone App Store long time ago and leave Blackberry World with pure Blackberry native apps, so no one was confused "is it native Blackberry app or NOT" like it is today! Stupidest thing is to let everyone to port android apps into Blackberry World, specially then we got Amazon App Store for that soooo long.

I'm glad that they forced and did this in one day, only left to do in second day is to force all android apps to move to Amazon App Store like Skype was. Waiting for this to happen and finally enjoy true pure Blackberry World goodness of native Blackberry Apps.

+ Blackberry MUST not be afraid to move all ported android apps to Amazon App Store just because Blackberry World could become almost empty, quality not quantity MUST matter and for app developers it could become just as advantage, because there was not so much competition like in other App Stores and their "product" wouldn't drown by too many poor/****ty worthless apps "created" by noobs like it is today with others App Stores ) By this Blackberry World most definitely become best quality App Store on the market.

++ it would be sooooo awesome if Blackberry make to see how much app have downloads on Blackberry World like it is today on Google Play Store - this is REAL QUALITY INDICATOR, because today it's just a speculations by comments numbers. Hope they do this in third day.

Peace.
    Last edited by novapolskas; 01-22-16 at 07:16 PM.
    UberschallSamsara likes this.
    01-22-16 06:36 PM
    Don't drink the kool-aid!

No. Really. DO NOT drink the kool aid!
    Yeah, seriously. That stuff has way too much sugar.
    01-22-16 10:54 PM
    NOW LISTEN TO ME VERY CAREFULLY, stop R.I.P.PING BB10 and I will tell you why this move is best move Blackberry could make if, I say IF Blackberry also move all crappy ported android apps from Blackberry World. We do not need ported android apps in Blackberry World, we don't need "build for Blackberry" sticker/logo, why? Because "Blackberry World" itself must become new "build for Blackberry" logo, it must be like this all this time, only one mistake was to let port android apps in Blackberry World, just look Skype app moved to Amazon App store long time ago, so all junky or whatever android apps should be also only in Amazone App Store long time ago and leave Blackberry World with pure Blackberry native apps, so no one was confused "is it native Blackberry app or NOT" like it is today! Stupidest thing is to let everyone to port android apps into Blackberry World, specially then we got Amazon App Store for that soooo long.

I'm glad that they forced and did this in one day, only left to do in second day is to force all android apps to move to Amazon App Store like Skype was. Waiting for this to happen and finally enjoy true pure Blackberry World goodness of native Blackberry Apps.

+ Blackberry MUST not be afraid to move all ported android apps to Amazon App Store just because Blackberry World could become almost empty, quality not quantity MUST matter and for app developers it could become just as advantage, because there was not so much competition like in other App Stores and their "product" wouldn't drown by too many poor/****ty worthless apps "created" by noobs like it is today with others App Stores ) By this Blackberry World most definitely become best quality App Store on the market.

++ it would be sooooo awesome if Blackberry make to see how much app have downloads on Blackberry World like it is today on Google Play Store - this is REAL QUALITY INDICATOR, because today it's just a speculations by comments numbers. Hope they do this in third day.

Peace.
    Dead right!

A bit of BBW History:
    in the beginning of 2013 starting with a Z10 on OS-10.0.10.738 at the time many of the app developer tried to flood BBW with a lot of app's like they are used to do on Playstore, just pure quantity to make easy cash, writing a quick dirty app and cash in.
    At that stage around end of 2013 BlackBerry was forced to apply this "built-for-BlackBerry" tag by high demand of users request!
    The high request was risen because of the many Android ports and junk in BBW, to allow users to easily find quality app's and to encourage Dev's to invest some time to write native app's with a quality tag for BB devices, instead of just porting there existing Android app's for another market, namely the BBW.

Many of this quick dirty Android app's, yeah even sort of native app's have never been updated since then, not even updated to the evolving OS-10.1.xxx or OS-10.2.xxx couldn't be bothered to service there app's but still producing hundreds of new app's written by cheap labour in India under contract of big name app companies... yeah here on BBW

BlackBerry was very generously putting in a big deal with the "FREE" PC Program called "Momentum" as a great developing tool, supplied lots of actual OS-libraries to allow Dev's to adapt and write app's in Cascade and other supported coding to make it easy to move app's to the newer OS versions and upcoming devices.
    Dev's who didn't bother using this opportunity updating there app's may ended up with an app not running under OS-10.3.xxx anymore and this app's died out not suitable to be downloaded for certain devices.

So at some stage BlackBerry was fed up with that and quietly started to take this "old" no longer supported app's off BBW if this Dev's did not bother to update there app's for the requirements of OS-10.3.xxx and no one complained about that and was a smart move to give a sort of warranty for quality only app's in BBW.

Further more the Amazon app shop was introduced to give users a bigger choice of app's they where asking for not found in BBW and on the other hand to let this Dev's who didn't bother writing BBW conform app's to move over to Amazon shop without kicking them out completely.

Yes and if BlackBerry now makes the move to take consequences by closing BBW down to BB-only-app's why should we worry, be glad that BlackBerry cares about quality apps and now got the guts to say: hey either stick with our app roles or bugger-off to Amazon Android shop, still look there is a PRIV where you can try sell this non-conform BB app's, nothing wrong with that, keeping BBW clean and with high quality produktiv app's only.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    Last edited by hobgoblin1961; 01-23-16 at 04:46 AM.
    01-23-16 04:16 AM
    Is there anything to indicate that BlackBerry is going to take all Android apps out of BBW?
    01-23-16 09:23 AM
    Is there anything to indicate that BlackBerry is going to take all Android apps out of BBW?
    Absolutely nothing

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 09:33 AM
    The developers at TAT may have been great, but what they did with Cascades was pretty crappy. They built it in such a way as to eliminate many of the capabilities in Qt and make it all but impossible to keep Cascades growing along with Qt as it was improved.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    At the time that they developed it, Qt didn't have some of the features or options that Cascades has. Qt caught up. What capabilities in Qt4.8 were eliminated?
    01-23-16 09:37 AM
    haha im sure people do but I certainly don't. Its purely for notifications at this point as I also use the mobile version like you. Its just a shame that they can't even bother to update the app to the biggest social network out there.
    Even the notifications are nearly worthless, as if you tap them to see the post, half the time (or more often) it comes back "The post could not be loaded." So convenient!

Richard
    01-23-16 10:56 AM
    At the time that they developed it, Qt didn't have some of the features or options that Cascades has. Qt caught up. What capabilities in Qt4.8 were eliminated?
    Rendering fonts, and according to you drawing circles. There is a workaround for the latter but as you pointed many people don't think that counts.

I agree that Cascades brought a lot to the platform that Qt 4.8 could not have. But if they had taken the time to build Cascades as a layer on top of Qt rather than the way they did it would have been much easier to bring forward with Qt. Perhaps they thought there would be plenty of money to do that later.
    01-23-16 11:49 AM
    Im still trying to find this app to see what it looks like lol. I see a NY Times app but its a B4B app and clearly looks like a native app as well
    Well, I just looked at it again, and you're absolutely right. I thought it had the stupid Android back arrow, but I was wrong.

CORRECTION: I run NO Android apps on my BB10 except the Amazon crappie I can't delete.

Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    01-23-16 04:21 PM

Peace.
    That would be great, as far as I'm concerned.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-16 04:22 PM
    Rendering fonts, and according to you drawing circles. There is a workaround for the latter but as you pointed many people don't think that counts.

I agree that Cascades brought a lot to the platform that Qt 4.8 could not have. But if they had taken the time to build Cascades as a layer on top of Qt rather than the way they did it would have been much easier to bring forward with Qt. Perhaps they thought there would be plenty of money to do that later.
    They just stopped developing a long time ago. TAT saw that BlackBerry didn't have a vision pretty soon after being bought and they left when they saw that management was lost when it came to software.
    01-23-16 06:38 PM
    They just stopped developing a long time ago. TAT saw that BlackBerry didn't have a vision pretty soon after being bought and they left when they saw that management was lost when it came to software.
    You can think that. But I had a pretty good look into the font issue when Cascades first became available on the DA-A. There are significant parts of Qt that you can not use in a Cascades application without causing a crash. The Qt font rendering package is one of them. Have a look at the Cascades section of Stack Overflow and read all the advice very experienced Qt programmers give BB10 developers that is wrong only because Cascades isn't Qt. It actually has the same flavour as Java experts who don't know BBOS is based on a subset of J2ME advising BBOS developers.

I have also done a lot of work with C++ object trees, extension and maintenance of object libraries in C++ since the CFront days. The way Cascades is tied into Qt is not unique, and the trajectory it has taken so far, and is likely to continue on, is quite common as well. In fact the story of Cascades is not a lot different than that of CFront. Some interesting and innovative ideas brought to initial fruition by leveraging existing tools. It works for a short time, long enough to find out if the idea is going to catch on. C++ did, Cascades didn't. I'm pretty confident, having looked at the Qt and Cascades object trees, that BlackBerry developers quickly realised the amount of work needed to drag Cascades along with Qt would be enormous. Now looking back and knowing that BlackBerry was pulling out of the Qt porting effort at about the same time as Priv development was getting serious it all makes a great deal of sense. Speculation on my part, but it fits the facts.

So the question is, when BlackBerry bought TAT, did TAT know that Cascades could not be easily kept up to date with Qt? Are you prepared to believe that a software house as capable as TAT didn't understand the ramifications of what they were doing? Maybe there was a very good reason to build Cascades the way they did, but the results, where Cascades is today, if completely predictable. Cascades may see enhancements, thought I doubt it. It won't get Qt 5 or later features without a huge investment. I think everyone agrees BlackBerry isn't in a position to make that investment today. On the other hand if TAT had built Cascades as a library entirely on top of Qt then it would have been quite straight forward to bring Cascades to Qt 5. No more difficult, relatively speaking, than updating a Qt 4 based application to Qt 5.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    CmdrStraker likes this.
    01-23-16 07:52 PM
    There is absolutely *NO* up-side to Chen making a "we're done with hardware" announcement because all that would happen is that BB would be left with unsellable inventory... and the CB crew probably *would* put out a contract on Chen!

For similar reasons, Chen will never say "we're done with BB10" either.
    In effect, he already did. He said no new BB10 devices in 2016. Is that supposed to encourage people to run out and buy a BB10 device? Good luck with that Chen.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    01-23-16 10:03 PM
    Next one: no more BB10..courtesy of Mr Elop...er...sorry...Mr Chen

Passport SE
    01-23-16 10:10 PM
    In effect, he already did. He said no new BB10 devices in 2016. Is that supposed to encourage people to run out and buy a BB10 device? Good luck with that Chen.
    sure it encourage me to get a PassPort next week just in case, still my Classic is in perfect order, so what, get proper OS10 devices as long they are around and use them up keep them as long as they do what they are good at and serving the needs, absolut no need to jump ship at all.

Posted via -Classic SQC100-1 / 10.3.++
    01-24-16 02:19 AM
344 ... 910111213 ...