But it's an additional signal for every developer to realize that development for BB10 is unwanted now. Do something else, become an Android developer.
    In case there was a doubt....

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2016/0...10-developers/

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 02:21 PM
    Built for BlackBerry - Dead!-mymemes_2.png
    ssbtech, FF22, lift and 1 others like this.
    01-21-16 02:41 PM
    I do think it's fair. In my line of work, most people I come in contact want to be spoon fed. (an it isn't electronics)
    I think it is fair for consumers to expect that when they buy a new BlackBerry that apps that are "Built for BlackBerry" should work on their device. I don't think everyone should be expected to know what mobile OS some BlackBerries are using now. If you have parents or grandparents then you know what I'm talking about.
    01-21-16 03:05 PM
    They are approaching 90, I'll forgive them for not knowing what OS is on their flip phones.

Regardless, a new blackberry comes with a manual, I expect most to read it first and ask questions after having done so.

We will have to agree to disagree.
    01-21-16 03:13 PM
    ... BlackBerry can automate that by reading the app. If they are doing all the certifications by hand, then they are going to be lost as a software company...
    This ^^^^^times 10000!!!

This is a PERFECT example of why the very idea of BlackBerry becoming a successful software company is ludicrous!

And they keep demonstrating their ineptitude over and over and over and over again.

It is tragically comical that to this day there is still a major flaw in the most recent version of BB10. This flaw prevents removal of installed Android apps.

Now more than ever (because of BlackBerry incompetence) it is important for users to ascertain which such apps these might be... BEFORE installing them.

Yet now BlackBerry is eliminating one of the tools that help determine that very thing.

What a perfect example of the ineptitude of the ignoramuses in charge!

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz, ssbtech, lift and 1 others like this.
    01-21-16 03:44 PM
    They are approaching 90, I'll forgive them for not knowing what OS is on their flip phones.

Regardless, a new blackberry comes with a manual, I expect most to read it first and ask questions after having done so.

We will have to agree to disagree.
    You don't have to be 90 to have zero interest in phone tech.

My wife, who isn't 90 but is gorgeous!, has no idea what OS is on her phone (it's WinPhone) and equally has zero interest in doing anything with that phone except making and receiving calls when she's out and about. So I've put maximum-sized phone and phonebook tiles on the home screen and removed everything else. She's far from stupid, she just doesn't want or need anything else on her phone, and isn't interested in reading any manual.

I think we on this forum sometimes forget we're not the average joe. In fact, having an interest in phones intense enough to post on a forum might be regarded by "normal folk" as a little odd!
    FF22 and anon(9188202) like this.
    01-21-16 03:51 PM
    What a perfect example of the ineptitude of the ignoramuses in charge!
    Your entire attitude assumes that Blackberry wants to continue producing mobile phones. Maybe they want to transition to focusing on B2B solutions for communication other than phone handsets or consumer electronics.

If that's the case, you're the ignoramus, not the people in charge at Blackberry.
    01-21-16 04:03 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyMemes_2.PNG 
Views:	668 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	388548
    Cute selfie.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-21-16 04:07 PM
    I'm uglier than that! hahaha
    01-21-16 04:11 PM
    [edited to reflect the excellent news coverage in CB]

This is certainly a clear acknowledgment by BlackBerry that only Enterprise customers using secure EMM solutions are supposed to be buying BB10 phones from this point on.

Also, it's a clear notice to developers, as if one was needed, not to bother developing consumer apps for BB10.

I'm still a happy BB10 user as this will have no impact on me whatsoever, but it does tip the scales more in the direction of BB10 heading towards EOL rather than simply taking a break in development for a year or two (in case you were one of the folks who thought that night be the case.

Posted via CB10
    This!

When I started development for BlackBerry, mainly enterprise but I have some consumer and open source products from that time, there was no application store front for BlackBerry phones. As a developer I've never seen the attraction in having to compete with millions of other vendors in a crapfest race for the bottom. At this point I would not be surprised if BlackBerry World eventually goes away. It would be nice if they allowed BB10 devices to install BAR files off the Internet the way BBOS devices can, but that won't affect me personally.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-21-16 04:25 PM
    is it at all possible for bb10 to be open source after bb has given up on it and let developers who would be interested to maintain it for regular consumers
    01-21-16 04:36 PM
    is it at all possible for bb10 to be open source after bb has given up on it and let developers who would be interested to maintain it for regular consumers
    The devices, by design, require that installed software use BlackBerry signing keys - and they'll never give you those.

There is also too much QNX proprietary technology baked in to allow public access.
    01-21-16 04:43 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyMemes_2.PNG 
Views:	668 
Size:	449.4 KB 
ID:	388548
    So Blackberry is the pig, and Android is the lipstick?
    01-21-16 04:45 PM
    The devices, by design, require that installed software use BlackBerry signing keys - and they'll never give you those.

There is also too much QNX proprietary technology baked in to allow public access.
    thanks. what shame it is im sure given the opportunity some dev's would like to keep developing and improving the OS
    01-21-16 04:47 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Attachment 388562
    Attached Thumbnails Built for BlackBerry - Dead!-mockit_22012016000637.jpg  
    FF22, elfabio80 and kekos like this.
    01-21-16 05:07 PM
    Posted via CB10
    Attachment 388562
    you can always go with windows...??Built for BlackBerry - Dead!-article-rape-0112.jpg
    01-21-16 05:10 PM
    Your entire attitude assumes that Blackberry wants to continue producing mobile phones. Maybe they want to transition to focusing on B2B solutions for communication other than phone handsets or consumer electronics.

If that's the case, you're the ignoramus, not the people in charge at Blackberry.
    My point is that they are inept with software. And until they can remedy that ineptness... it is ludicrous to think they can succeed in software... anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 and anon(9188202) like this.
    01-21-16 05:15 PM

If that's the case they should come out and say it instead of misleading consumers with statements like "were still committed to the handset division " or "hardware is important part of our strategy "

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 05:53 PM
    This is a sad day. I'm one of those folks that is guarded when it comes to my personal information, thus the reason I own a blackberry device and refuse to own an Android or IPhone. Every app on my phone is certified by BlackBerry trusting that it is thoroughly tested and complies with BlackBerry's privacy policy. Now the floor is open to exploits with false claims of it being nonintrusive. I know it's great for developers who I support but not everyone is morally driven. Just my 2 insignificant cents.

Posted via CB10
    FF22, lift and gfondeur like this.
    01-21-16 06:02 PM
    If that's the case they should come out and say it instead of misleading consumers with statements like "were still committed to the handset division " or "hardware is important part of our strategy "

Posted via CB10
    They will never do this until it's too late. They haven't in the past, it would seal the deal and increase their losses. It will not happen until it's already practically at that state, then they will say something when it has virtually no impact.

Same thing they have done in the past many times over and with BB10 support...
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-21-16 06:22 PM
    You don't have to be 90 to have zero interest in phone tech.

My wife, who isn't 90 but is gorgeous!, has no idea what OS is on her phone (it's WinPhone) and equally has zero interest in doing anything with that phone except making and receiving calls when she's out and about. So I've put maximum-sized phone and phonebook tiles on the home screen and removed everything else. She's far from stupid, she just doesn't want or need anything else on her phone, and isn't interested in reading any manual.

I think we on this forum sometimes forget we're not the average joe. In fact, having an interest in phones intense enough to post on a forum might be regarded by "normal folk" as a little odd!
    And an English accent??? I want to meet her!

Yup, my friend with a BS in Nursing and an MBA in Accounting can't stand dealing with the tech end of computers and now her Android phone. It just needs to work. But now she's shunning apps her Android phone because she does not want them tracking everything she does. Oh, well....
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-21-16 06:47 PM
    This!

When I started development for BlackBerry, mainly enterprise but I have some consumer and open source products from that time, there was no application store front for BlackBerry phones. As a developer I've never seen the attraction in having to compete with millions of other vendors in a crapfest race for the bottom. At this point I would not be surprised if BlackBerry World eventually goes away. It would be nice if they allowed BB10 devices to install BAR files off the Internet the way BBOS devices can, but that won't affect me personally.

LeapSTR100-2/10.3.2.2876
    I did wonder if we could return to the days where we could purchase apps for bb7 and prior devices from 3rd party stores for bb10 apps. Clearly, with some of the tools available (Sachesi and Chrome with PB manager and others) those with some skill can install them. Just need a way to secure the sale and installation.
    01-21-16 06:53 PM
    I did wonder if we could return to the days where we could purchase apps for bb7 and prior devices from 3rd party stores for bb10 apps. Clearly, with some of the tools available (Sachesi and Chrome with PB manager and others) those with some skill can install them. Just need a way to secure the sale and installation.
    The bigger problem (other than the fact that the OS has to allow the 3rd party installations easily by loosening security restrictions) is who wants to bother? Who wants to setup a secure webstore + payment + refunds + publishing tools + customer support + etc to handle BB10 app handling and purchases when the OEM company is minimally maintaining it...
    FF22 likes this.
    01-21-16 06:59 PM
    My point is that they are inept with software. And until they can remedy that ineptness... it is ludicrous to think they can succeed in software... anywhere.

Posted via CB10
    I don't understand how you can say that. BBLink and prior Desktop software were always so flawless, running perfectly! Would you want a car run by their software so that when you instruct it to BACKUP it spins its wheels endlessly.

And now their latest OS release for BB10 has a new and improved Android Runtime where users can't delete Android apps.

(please read into this the appropriate sarcasm).
    01-21-16 07:03 PM
    Every app on my phone is certified by BlackBerry trusting that it is thoroughly tested and complies with BlackBerry's privacy policy.
    Ahahahahahahahaha if you believe that, I have some land to sell you in the Everglades.
    01-21-16 07:39 PM
344 ... 678910 ...