Im really trying to understand both of you. Ya'll talking about downloading a app and then finding out out whether its android or native but if you merely look at the pics before downloading, its very clear (at least to me) which ones are android, and which ones are native. lol am I missing something. Android apps have a completely different layout.

Do either one of you have an example you could show where pictures of the app in its description don't clearly show whether its android or not?
    I'll just speak for myself. I don't really enjoy browsing app by app looking at pictures and reading reviews. I don't consider shopping for apps to be interesting or productive. When I think I need an app, I'd like a short list of apps that meet my requirements. In the past I used the B4B list to do that. I just don't want to waste my time looking at apps that require the Android runtime.

Apparently, that's not a big deal to a lot of other people. And BlackBerry has already made their decision, so I'll just deal with it, of course. But it seems like an arbitrary change with no apparent benefit. I would understand ending the certification program for new apps, but why remove the badges from existing ones?

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek and Rello like this.
    01-21-16 10:45 AM
    Come on chen, why?!!

Posted via Z30
    why? is because BB10 doesn't sell; it's not what peoole want nay more; it's had it's day!

Faneto :|(
    Last edited by lesarmitage; 01-21-16 at 10:50 AM. Reason: puntuation
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-21-16 10:49 AM
    Can't help but think that J.C. has watched the original Wall Street movie a few too many times. Specifically the part where Budd Fox asks Gecko why he's breaking up BlueStar Airlines. Gecko's response "Because it's breakable!"
    01-21-16 10:50 AM
    [QUOTE=rhoric;12220957]

So wrong you are. They are stopping built for BlackBerry service. Just means that apps that are made can't be submitted for recognition for BlackBerry. Doesn't mean apps can't be made and put on BlackBerry world

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 11:16 AM
    Can't help but think that J.C. has watched the original Wall Street movie a few too many times. Specifically the part where Budd Fox asks Gecko why he's breaking up BlueStar Airlines. Gecko's response "Because it's breakable!"
    That's hilarious... and makes more sense than most of the excuses made for all of the Chenanigans of the past couple years.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 11:22 AM
    Fine eliminate the program going forward but do not penalize developers who have already earned the label. Why not leave it intact for existing apps.
    Well as someone pointed out before, that could make some devs feel discriminated against, maybe (but unlikely) resulting in legal action.

A further point would be that every update to an app has to be reapproved and there will be no one to do the appraisal. That means that if a dev updates his app he loses the badge. This would disincentivise devs from doing updates at all.
    01-21-16 11:23 AM
    Well as someone pointed out before, that could make some devs feel discriminated against, maybe (but unlikely) resulting in legal action.

A further point would be that every update to an app has to be reapproved and there will be no one to do the appraisal. That means that if a dev updates his app he loses the badge. This would disincentivise devs from doing updates at all.
    The second point is likely a significant factor. Also, I think BlackBerry would like to position itself as a mainstream Android ecosystem partner, and BB10 native apps confuse that messaging for a public that's already confused about Blackberry's offerings.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 11:26 AM
    I would file this under the"you got to be sh**ing me dept":

I forgot to take my Classic with me, when I went out to get my garage door to close due to some snow. Came back in, and there was a message from Blackberry stating that the "Priv isn't like other smartphones. And that's a great thing". Arrrgghhh
    lift likes this.
    01-21-16 11:29 AM
    I'll just speak for myself. I don't really enjoy browsing app by app looking at pictures and reading reviews. I don't consider shopping for apps to be interesting or productive. When I think I need an app, I'd like a short list of apps that meet my requirements. In the past I used the B4B list to do that. I just don't want to waste my time looking at apps that require the Android runtime.

Apparently, that's not a big deal to a lot of other people. And BlackBerry has already made their decision, so I'll just deal with it, of course. But it seems like an arbitrary change with no apparent benefit. I would understand ending the certification program for new apps, but why remove the badges from existing ones?

Posted via CB10
    Ok, I just didn't want ya'll to think I was insulting ya'll...I just knew that I could look up and in one second tell whether it was a android or native app but I see that youre saying that you used the BFB list so you wouldn't even have to deal with android apps.

I agree with you too that while folks will eventually deal with it, I don't really see the point in removing the tags for apps that already have them.
    01-21-16 11:37 AM
    I scrolled down to my message from Blackberry touting the Priv, and I saw at the bottom of the page a plug for the "Enterprise Store" Never seen before, but I never paid that much attention. Anyone know what that is?
    01-21-16 11:43 AM
    and just like that, the final straw has fallen. that's it. i'm done. no more blackberry for me. i'll keep using my BB10 devices until they die, but it will be a cold day in hell before i purchase another blackberry product ever again. so many people invested so much time in developing a terrific platform, and they got fired or 'redeployed.' so many developers outside the company worked hard to develop apps especially for BB10, and they've been abandoned.

mr. chen, you deserve to fail. but of course when you do, the people who will suffer will be your employees, your shareholders, and your customers. you'll walk away with a fat paycheck. i hope you're happy.

-- eldee
    01-21-16 12:04 PM
    Then set aside 100K from the CEO's pay and have someone review built for Blakbery applications.
    they should never have allowed android ports or the android runtime in the first place, should have instead spent some of their cash on advertising and making deals with popular app makers.

and had they released a competent BBM app for other platforms, with video call, they would be number one in the chatting space, and secure chatting if they had offered end to end encryption. now whatsapp is way ahead because bbm sucked. and BlackBerry had some of the best in the business just a few years ago, now they're all at top firms. such a mismanaged company.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 12:08 PM
    It's very simple - going forward "Built for BlackBerry" is for apps that work on the Priv, [Venice] and other phones that they are going to be launching. New BlackBerry users need to be directed to Android apps. Old BlackBerry users - you know where to go.

Built for BlackBerry - Dead!-xqr5g.jpg
    01-21-16 12:14 PM
    It's very simple - going forward "Built for BlackBerry" is for apps that work on the Priv, [Venice] and other phones that they are going to be launching. New BlackBerry users need to be directed to Android apps. Old BlackBerry users - you know where to go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xqr5g.jpg 
Views:	731 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	388531
    this could very well be the case, though i see no reason to gut the program from bbw. no way to confuse the two app stores.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 12:17 PM
    Built for BlackBerry - Dead!-253f7dfe6789915eb0bac6b839d3c97b0792a3bf0412ed9aa978f409b6dca160.jpg
    lift, jope28, DrBoomBotz and 2 others like this.
    01-21-16 12:23 PM
    this could very well be the case, though i see no reason to gut the program from bbw. no way to confuse the two app stores.
    That's just it. How can you expect the average carrier salesperson or user to actually know the difference between a BB10 BlackBerry and an Android BlackBerry? They bought a BlackBerry (Priv) and tried to install an app that was "Built for BlackBerry." How can that not work?

This is probably also the reason why the company is pushing "Priv by BlackBerry" - to avoid this kind of confusion which is a pretty bad first impression to make.
    01-21-16 12:25 PM
    Steady there F2. Remember, *I'm* supposed to be the Euro-liberal whilst *you* are supposed to be the rabid American free-marketeer! LOL

As you'd maybe expect, I'm a big fan of corporations having a social conscience, but I'm hard headed enough to realise they need to be a success first ... and then use their success to give back something to society.
    What I am SUPPOSED to be does not quite square with my liberal pretensions. I live in and have voted for one of our country's most liberal representatives. He has finally decided to retire. The race is on to see who can more "out-liberal" him!

I never should have worked for AT&T. It soured me on large corporations permanently.
    01-21-16 12:32 PM
    and just like that, the final straw has fallen. that's it. i'm done. no more blackberry for me. i'll keep using my BB10 devices until they die, but it will be a cold day in hell before i purchase another blackberry product ever again. so many people invested so much time in developing a terrific platform, and they got fired or 'redeployed.' so many developers outside the company worked hard to develop apps especially for BB10, and they've been abandoned.

mr. chen, you deserve to fail. but of course when you do, the people who will suffer will be your employees, your shareholders, and your customers. you'll walk away with a fat paycheck. i hope you're happy.

-- eldee
    That was perfectly written and so true. Thanks.
    01-21-16 12:45 PM
    That's just it. How can you expect the average carrier salesperson or user to actually know the difference between a BB10 BlackBerry and an Android BlackBerry?
    I expect most people to be able to think. Unfortunately most would rather not.
    01-21-16 12:49 PM

-- eldee
    This^^^^^this^^^^^this^^^^^

Mr Chen are you listening?

Sadly.... you are probably just laughing... but hopefully you understand karma...

Posted via CB10
    Doggerz, FF22 and lift like this.
    01-21-16 01:05 PM
    [QUOTE=6stringriffs;12219881]
    Amen!!! And as far as Wal Mart, I try my hardest not to shop there. They have destroyed small business and small town America as we know it.[/QUOTE]

No people shop online at Amazon instead.... which was and is still just as damaging. (Yes I shop at Amazon too... but I could care less about so called small town America, it ain't nothing but meth labs at this point.)
    What about Sears, Target, Home Depot, Lowes, Dollar stores, Best Buy and Walgreens. All of these have stores and more international resellers have put Mom and Pop businesses out of business. Then again maybe people in small towns don't like having to pay super high prices.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-21-16 01:14 PM
    I expect most people to be able to think. Unfortunately most would rather not.
    I don't think that's fair. There are many people who are able to think very well, but who have almost zero interest in consumer electronics of any kind. My wife is a brilliant scientist and programmer, but she doesn't want to read app reviews or configuration recommendations just to stay in touch with the world. She gave up her iPhone 5 for my old BB10 Z10 and runs it stock because it just does what she wants.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 01:40 PM
    I do think it's fair. In my line of work, most people I come in contact want to be spoon fed. (an it isn't electronics)
    lift and gfondeur like this.
    01-21-16 01:49 PM
    I do think it's fair. In my line of work, most people I come in contact want to be spoon fed. (an it isn't electronics)
    In my line of work must think they are better than you and go out to be a complete ****.
    But that's another story

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 02:12 PM
    This shouldn't surprise anyone. Them not updating Facebook nor twitter in months speaks much louder than this in my opinion...

Posted via CB10
    People still use the utterly worthless facebook app? I've been going direct through browser for countless months now. Even replaced my fb icon on my first screen with a browser shortcut so I don't accidentally tap that other horrible POS.

Richard
    lift and Rello like this.
    01-21-16 02:16 PM
344 ... 56789 ...