It looks like a great app, but it won't solve my problem at all. I have no intention of downloading and installing an app in order to find out whether or not it's a native BlackBerry 10 app, let alone paying for it first!

The point if the B4B badge is to let you know that an app is native in advance. Some of us don't want any apps using the Android runtime.

For that matter, I can't even tell if AppNinja is a native BB10 app!

Posted via CB10
    But b4b didn't really answer your question. The majority of NATIVE apps did not have this designation.

The way you will know if it is an Android app is that while installing (not at first run), it will ask you for the permissions. You can bail right there if you don't want to continue.
    01-21-16 08:35 AM
    Ah, but BB *will* give notice.

I fully expect an upbeat PR in about 6-months trumpeting how successful has been the Priv and its access to the GPS ... and in a final sentence will say something like "... as many of our developers are using the GPS to make their Apps available to a growing audience, and few are now using BBW, the time has come to shutter BBW as using GPS provides better opportunities for our talented developers".

We'll see.
    You are right but even using GPS I was lost until I realized that "GPS" was not Global Positioning System and WAS GOOGLE PLAY STORE!!!

I find their explanation as satisfying as well, I can't use the word here. Fine, abandon future labeling but leave the current "winners" with that satisfying label. Those developers helped bring a few purchases of bb10 devices.

Well, BB is a corporation and like many of their ilk, no conscience. YES, I know that is not their chartered purpose but some do have some social responsibility aspects to their corporate culture.
    JeepBB, muellerto and elfabio80 like this.
    01-21-16 08:40 AM
    Ummmm, no disrespect to anyone, but are people over reacting or am I the only one who can easily tell the difference between an android app and a native one? Lol the android apps don't even have the same layout as native apps....

Posted via CB10
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-21-16 08:42 AM
    It would be ilarius if somebody could do John Chen stickers!! Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    TWO-FACED would be a popular one.
    jope28 likes this.
    01-21-16 08:42 AM
    Ummmm, no disrespect to anyone, but are people over reacting or am I the only one who can easily tell the difference between an android app and a native one? Lol the android apps don't even have the same layout as native apps....

Posted via CB10
    People want to know before actually installing the app.

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    FF22 likes this.
    01-21-16 08:44 AM
    TWO-FACED would be a popular one.
    Whoa!
    You're my hero lol

FF22 likes this.
    01-21-16 08:45 AM
    Apps are NOT system features. If you want facebook say you want facebook application. It is not an improvement of the system.
    01-21-16 08:48 AM
    Well, BB is a corporation and like many of their ilk, no conscience. YES, I know that is not their chartered purpose but some do have some social responsibility aspects to their corporate culture.
    Steady there F2. Remember, *I'm* supposed to be the Euro-liberal whilst *you* are supposed to be the rabid American free-marketeer! LOL

As you'd maybe expect, I'm a big fan of corporations having a social conscience, but I'm hard headed enough to realise they need to be a success first ... and then use their success to give back something to society.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-21-16 08:50 AM
    [QUOTE=kraidx;12220792]
    If you are missing some feature... create an app for that if you really have to. Goddammit...[/QUOTE

Haven't you read the notice, no more apps for BlackBerry! Only taking Android now!

Posted via CB10
    Aha. And WHERE does it say so? :P It says the Built for BB program ends. Thats whats there. Noone kills BB10 developers...
    01-21-16 08:50 AM
    This is a huge fuss over nothing. With the ongoing removal of Android ports from BBW to the amazon store, all apps in BBW will eventually become native only. So this program has become just expensive overhead and needed to be put out to pasture.

There has been some very good new apps added to BBW, recently. I would rather have quality over quantity anyway. We will go back to using the reputation of individual devs to determine the quality of their apps, which was always a more reliable system anyway.

� CB10 via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition �
    Fine eliminate the program going forward but do not penalize developers who have already earned the label. Why not leave it intact for existing apps.

It is a slap in the face of developers who worked to achieve that label.
    01-21-16 09:01 AM
    It says the Built for BB program ends. Thats whats there. Noone kills BB10 developers...
    But it's an additional signal for every developer to realize that development for BB10 is unwanted now. Do something else, become an Android developer.
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-21-16 09:03 AM
    My thoughts exactly.

How much of John Chen's salary would it actually take to keep the BfB designation any way?
    crackberry_geek, lift and FF22 like this.
    01-21-16 09:04 AM
    I just purchased the app. It is a native app, of course.
    Thanks. I suspected it was, but the whole point is that one can't tell without some kind of disclosure prior to purchase/download. I don't care if it's B4B or some other designation, but I want to know if an app uses the runtime before I download it.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-21-16 09:12 AM
    Fine eliminate the program going forward but do not penalize developers who have already earned the label. Why not leave it intact for existing apps.

X2! The Dev's worked hard to achieve that label showing they supported BB10, only to be kicked to the curb with this announcement! If I was a Dev, it would be a cold day in hell before I would even consider building an app specifically for any Blackberry Android.
    01-21-16 09:13 AM
    But b4b didn't really answer your question. The majority of NATIVE apps did not have this designation.

The way you will know if it is an Android app is that while installing (not at first run), it will ask you for the permissions. You can bail right there if you don't want to continue.
    I understand what you're saying, but that would still be a huge waste of my time to search for apps, then read all of the reviews before knowing whether it's a native app. This is just going to push me away from even considering any new apps for my BB10 phones.

I'm still happy with my phone, and have no plans to switch, but I feel bad for the developers who have a stuck by BlackBerry and coded/submitted native apps for the B4B designation.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek and FF22 like this.
    01-21-16 09:17 AM
    I want to know which BB10 apps are native, vs. Android ports using the runtime. I don't care about the badge, but I want that information.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, just look at the pics and read the comments on the review section, stop whining!!
    01-21-16 09:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    It's easy to tell AFTER you download and start the install process, but that's too late for making a purchasing decision, and it's a waste of time. I want to be able to filter them in BlackBerry World, which really isn't unreasonable.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    01-21-16 09:19 AM
    Thanks. I suspected it was, but the whole point is that one can't tell without some kind of disclosure prior to purchase/download. I don't care if it's B4B or some other designation, but I want to know if an app uses the runtime before I download it.

Posted via CB10
    We never could tell, since most native apps never had the b4b label. The situation is only a little worse now.
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-21-16 09:20 AM
    Dude, just look at the pics and read the comments on the review section, stop whining!!
    Well, if I'm the only one who is bothered by the lack of distinction between native and Android apps, I would agree that it doesn't matter. I can easily solve my problem by avoiding BBW like I already avoid the Amazon App Store. No whining required. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 09:56 AM
    People want to know before actually installing the app.

It's easy to tell AFTER you download and start the install process, but that's too late for making a purchasing decision, and it's a waste of time. I want to be able to filter them in BlackBerry World, which really isn't unreasonable.

Posted via CB10
    Im really trying to understand both of you. Ya'll talking about downloading a app and then finding out out whether its android or native but if you merely look at the pics before downloading, its very clear (at least to me) which ones are android, and which ones are native. lol am I missing something. Android apps have a completely different layout.

Do either one of you have an example you could show where pictures of the app in its description don't clearly show whether its android or not?
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-21-16 10:17 AM
    Well, if I'm the only one who is bothered by the lack of distinction between native and Android apps, I would agree that it doesn't matter. I can easily solve my problem by avoiding BBW like I already avoid the Amazon App Store. No whining required. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    A number of people were bothered by it when BB10 first launched. Most have gotten over it by now. The b4b designation was never anything more than a "blue ribbon" identifier for a fairly small subset of native apps. Some developers of fine apps avoided submitting their apps for b4b status because it allowed the approval process down, as I recall.
    gfondeur likes this.
    01-21-16 10:24 AM
    I don't want to have to download and possibly pay for an app to know if it is native or not. I want BlackBerry to tell us up front.
    Oh God, stop whining and moaning, and just move on, GEE....
    01-21-16 10:26 AM
    Oh, "da internets"!
    'tis the nature of discussion forums.
    One man's "whining and moaning" is another man's "justified grievance" lol

Knowing if an app is a port or not before paying for it is, in my opinion, a valid concern.
    But you know best, so we shall digress and bow to your "Oh God...., just move on, GEE..." wisdom lol

01-21-16 10:32 AM
    You don't seem to be enjoying this discussion very much. Have you considered possibly moving along to a thread you might enjoy more?

Of course you're welcome to hang around and characterize other people's opinions as "whining" and "moaning"if that gives you pleasure. Don't let us stop you.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-16 10:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    Can't say it better
    01-21-16 10:36 AM
344 ... 45678 ...